Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Mississippi river has claimed many lives of those who went for a swim. I lived on that river for years. Going out in that water is about stupid.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stupid f'ing troll thread.

Discussing a real event?  How so?

Because its not simply you reporting this incident...it's you inserting your commentary on it as if your opinion is relevant.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You were the one that said nothing would have stopped him.  I'm just pointing out that the officer was within his power to use force to do so.

Would the officer have used force?  It has happened before.

One example I'm familiar with:  
A local guy wanted to return to his house after a flood.
Officer said no.
Guy said yes.
Officer said no.
Guy gets in his truck and attempts to drive around the road block and the cop.
Cop steps in front of vehicle.
Guy decides to run the cop over.
Cop shoots the guy.

Cop could have just let the guy return to his home.

Stuff can escalate quick.  I'm not going to disobey a cop.  

So this diver tried to run over the cop now?

wait, wut?  :)

I don't see where diver guy attempted to run over the officer with a vehicle to perform this rescue attempt.

True, but it was the only example I could think of where someone wanting to disobey a police officer was met with deadly force when it escalated.

Someone else mentioned a guy getting tasered for disobeying an officer.

Mine was a poor example.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

But in this case the police "decided" no one was in the car. It's not that the first officer didn't strip off his gun belt and jump into the Mississippi, it's that he was wrong in assuming no one was in the car so he stopped the rescue diver and they just never bothered to do anything at all.  

Would they have assumed no one was in the burlgarized house and then just waited for volunteers to go in and fetch the bodies the next day?

The long and short of it is taking a public safety job involves taking some risk to keep taxpayers from croaking. We could save a lot of money and just have volunteers push around one of those Monty Python wagons filled with corpses. This super anal risk averse "I ain't on the crew what saves people but I will keep others away while you die" is the same kind of goofiness that they used to do when they sealed off buildings with active shooters until swat eventually got the bread truck running.

If you have a giant fucking river in your town, have a rescue boat that can rescue people. If it's too dangerous when you get there, then yeah don't send people to their deaths, but wrongly assuming there is no one in a partially submerged car and then just fishing the corpse out later with a shrug is bumbling incompetence.

Before you go risking people's lives trying to "rescue" someone, you need to be positive there is actually a person in need of rescue.

So if you are standing on shore and don't see anyone in a partially submerged car you assume no one is in the car, whip out a toothpick and clean your teeth in between chasing off would be rescuers and letting the car sink under the waves....  

So you would propose risking people's lives to resuce an empty car?

If you want to conduct a rescue a key component is having a victim.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because its not simply you reporting this incident...it's you inserting your commentary on it as if your opinion is relevant.

This is General DISCUSSION forum.

Not the Dragnet forum.  (just the facts ma'am)
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

But in this case the police "decided" no one was in the car. It's not that the first officer didn't strip off his gun belt and jump into the Mississippi, it's that he was wrong in assuming no one was in the car so he stopped the rescue diver and they just never bothered to do anything at all.  

Would they have assumed no one was in the burlgarized house and then just waited for volunteers to go in and fetch the bodies the next day?

The long and short of it is taking a public safety job involves taking some risk to keep taxpayers from croaking. We could save a lot of money and just have volunteers push around one of those Monty Python wagons filled with corpses. This super anal risk averse "I ain't on the crew what saves people but I will keep others away while you die" is the same kind of goofiness that they used to do when they sealed off buildings with active shooters until swat eventually got the bread truck running.

If you have a giant fucking river in your town, have a rescue boat that can rescue people. If it's too dangerous when you get there, then yeah don't send people to their deaths, but wrongly assuming there is no one in a partially submerged car and then just fishing the corpse out later with a shrug is bumbling incompetence.

Before you go risking people's lives trying to "rescue" someone, you need to be positive there is actually a person in need of rescue.

So if you are standing on shore and don't see anyone in a partially submerged car you assume no one is in the car, whip out a toothpick and clean your teeth in between chasing off would be rescuers and letting the car sink under the waves....  

So you would propose risking people's lives to resuce an empty car?

If you want to conduct a rescue a key component is having an victim.

Where do you draw the line on probability of there being a victim?

A car just plunged into the water.  Pretty high probability there is a victim.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol...look at the title.  Seems to me that's a pretty clear statement of your version of the facts.  I have no problem with "discussions"...this wasn't a discussion from the start.

In any event it's impossible to decide which option was best, without being there myself.   That's why these threads are dumb and typically equate to trolling.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Assuming there isn't one certainly speeds things up. I suspect the proper procedure involves putting up to the car in the police party boat to see if there is a drowning mother in there before it disappears below view. Just a guess but assuming that a car is stolen and empty is probably not the competent response to seeing a partially submerged car in the water.  

Or assuming the police are responsible for rescues.

In most of the country FD = rescues PD= law enforcement.

The FD did put a boat out.

Yes, base your argument on assuming that the officer only saw that vehicle without a plate, and assumes he ignored the rest of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:30:56 AM EDT
[#13]
It would be nice if we could elect to decline police services and save a few hundred dollars on our yearly tax roles. They are pretty much worthless for anything I need....
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It would be nice if we could elect to decline police services and save a few hundred dollars on our yearly tax roles. They are pretty much worthless for anything I need....

Until you NEED them.  Then it's cry and complain they weren't there...
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Really, cars never "roll" either intentionally or accidentally with no occupants?

No one ever jumps out of a vehicle before it hits the water?

No one ever exits a vehicle that ends up in the water, before it sinks?

Before you risk rescuers lives, you need to be pretty darn sure there is someone in need of rescue.

The higher the probabality of injury or death to any potential rescuers, the more sure you need to be that there is a victim in need of rescue.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Mississippi river has claimed many lives of those who went for a swim. I lived on that river for years. Going out in that water is about stupid.

this. this isn't your lazy sunday dip in the stream.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Being 100% serious -

How many steps are there between not attempting a rescue because water is wet, and not responding to your house when you call 911 about a burglar with a gun?

Departments have policies about prioritizing calls for service.
A call about an active burglary with an armed suspect will result in a high priority rating and more rapid response
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And we have a winner.

This is why we all need unrestricted rights to carry firearms in any manner we choose at any time or place we choose.

Not seeing what the boat patrol enforcing navigation laws has with your desire to carry a gun anywhere you desire.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:42:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming there isn't one certainly speeds things up. I suspect the proper procedure involves putting up to the car in the police party boat to see if there is a drowning mother in there before it disappears below view. Just a guess but assuming that a car is stolen and empty is probably not the competent response to seeing a partially submerged car in the water.  [/div]

Or assuming the police are responsible for rescues.

In most of the country FD = rescues PD= law enforcement.

The FD did put a boat out.

Yes, base your argument on assuming that the officer only saw that vehicle without a plate, and assumes he ignored the rest of the vehicle.

I also base it on him telling the dive guy that it was stolen and therefore no one was in it. I also bet when he radioed it in he radioed it in as "an empty stolen car' v. "car in water put out the party boat, find the guys that went to the dive class maybe someone is in it! Oh shit dropped my toothpick"    

Because you assume that in all the time the car spent floating, the officer just looked where the license plate should be, and didn't even look into the passenger compartment.

Got it.

You still haven't gotten to the FD being the agency that performs rescues.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Until you NEED them.  Then it's cry and complain they weren't there...

Yeah I am sure it is comforting to sit in a car at the bottom of the river drowning knowing that least your property taxes paid for the guy on shore threatening to arrest anyone who tries to save you.  

I've never heard of an officer threatening such a thing....but I don't live near a body of water that large.  If true I don't necessarily agree with the threat itself but I can understand that he was freaking out and possibly trying to keep others from drowning along with the motorist.  Regardless, bronk's idea wouldn't fly even if it were allowed.  You and I both can see the ridiculousness in that statement.  It's what I hear when I'm on scene and someone doesn't want me there.  Conversely, I never hear it when I'm helping someone.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really, cars never "roll" either intentionally or accidentally with no occupants?

No one ever jumps out of a vehicle before it hits the water?

No one ever exits a vehicle that ends up in the water, before it sinks?

Before you risk rescuers lives, you need to be pretty darn sure there is someone in need of rescue.

The higher the probabality of injury or death to any potential rescuers, the more sure you need to be that there is a victim in need of rescue.

http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/leah-manche-illinois-woman-dies-as-car-discovered-in-mississippi-river-73954/

Different source, different information.

Skid marks at scene.  Which might indicate someone was in the vehicle.

Although being dark, skid marks might not have been evident at the time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am also a Master SCUBA diver who is also a certified and trained rescue diver and to be honest I'd probably have let the car sink as well. That's a pretty dangerous situation to be in because the car is sinking and there's no telling what it will do or where is will go as it sinks. It'd really suck to have the car roll over on you and pin you on the bottom while you watch your pressure gauge run to zero.

Don't bring common sense into a cop bash thread.

Yeah, OK.  

Every cop bash thread is deserved.  They used to be here to protect and serve. Not anymore.  Now they are "law enforcement".  I would NEVER voluntarily call the cops for anything.  They come to the scene and harass everyone , don't like being held accountable (video recorded), and end up arresting the innocent.

And I'm not some low life who's been arrested 37 times.  I've got a clean record.  I've seen what cops are capable of, and even the ones who don't actively engage in thuggery are guilty because they know the cops that do and allow it to happen.

Let me tell you something, champ, I (and a lot of others) are more afraid of cops than criminals.  I can protect myself from a criminal.  I can't protect myself from a roided up, ignorant cop who want to make up charges when he wants to show off his power.

And I also know cops.  They all cheat on their wives, treat suspects like shit and laugh about it, and basically act like the gang they are.  

We need cop reform in this country, that's for sure.  

And before you call me some name and say I'm just mouthing off, I'm not.  I'm serious, and this is how we should start:

1.  Anyone who wants to be a cop is automatically denied.  That's the first red flag.  Every cop I know joined so they could speed and break other laws, not to help people.
2.  Random lottery that picks people when they turn 18.
3.  If they accept then there would be extensive background checks.  Bully in high school?  Good bye.  Bullied, in High school?  Good Bye.  Have "short man syndrome".  Good bye.  Et cetera.
4.  Require cops to carry their own insurance.  If the fark up the tax payers shouldn't have to pay for it.  If the cop farks up enough he insurance get's dropped and he can't be a cop.  If there are as many good cops out there as the cops would have us believe then insurance companies would jump at the idea because they'd make a fortune in premiums and almost never have to pay out.
5.  Mandatory rotation between jobs every so often so they don't have to deal with the same scum bags every day.  I know that has an effect.

There are more, but I have to do.  But I'll add that any cop who tries to use the "our job is tough" bullsht lie automatically gets fired.  You CHOOSE that job, you can leave it.  That's the stupidest excuse I've ever heard.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That river scares the shit out of me.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

See what happens when you call a hippie.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol...look at the title.  Seems to me that's a pretty clear statement of your version of the facts.  I have no problem with "discussions"...this wasn't a discussion from the start.

In any event it's impossible to decide which option was best, without being there myself.   That's why these threads are dumb and typically equate to trolling.

My point in posting this thread was to serve as a reminder that police are not obligated to protect individuals.
This just happends to be the first case I've seen.

My local talk radio host was crucifying the local police departments over this.

I kept screaming at my radio that the Supreme Court made it clear that the police don't have to put themselves in harms way for us.

At the same time, most people on the street are convinced that in this situation, the officer at the scene should have jumped in the water.

I don't have a problem with the officer knowing his limits and not risking himself.  
I do have a problem with a "rescue boat" not serving it's advertised purpose.
And I have a problem with the officer stopping someone else from helping.

I wasn't there, so I'm being an armchair quarterback.  Maybe the certified master diver didn't tell the cop he was trained and equipped.
Maybe he did, but the cop didn't believe him.  

But like I said, most people believe the police will rescue them.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:11:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Every cop bash thread is deserved.  They used to be here to protect and serve. Not anymore.  Now they are "law enforcement".  I would NEVER voluntarily call the cops for anything.  They come to the scene and harass everyone , don't like being held accountable (video recorded), and end up arresting the innocent.

And I'm not some low life who's been arrested 37 times.  I've got a clean record.  I've seen what cops are capable of, and even the ones who don't actively engage in thuggery are guilty because they know the cops that do and allow it to happen.

Let me tell you something, champ, I (and a lot of others) are more afraid of cops than criminals.  I can protect myself from a criminal.  I can't protect myself from a roided up, ignorant cop who want to make up charges when he wants to show off his power.

And I also know cops.  They all cheat on their wives, treat suspects like shit and laugh about it, and basically act like the gang they are.  

And before you call me some name and say I'm just mouthing off, I'm not.  I'm serious, and this is how we should start:

1.  Anyone who wants to be a cop is automatically denied.  That's the first red flag.  Every cop I know joined so they could speed and break other laws, not to help people.
3.  If they accept then there would be extensive background checks.  Bully in high school?  Good bye.  Bullied, in High school?  Good Bye.  Have "short man syndrome".  Good bye.  Et cetera.
4.  Require cops to carry their own insurance.  If the fark up the tax payers shouldn't have to pay for it.  If the cop farks up enough he insurance get's dropped and he can't be a cop.  If there are as many good cops out there as the cops would have us believe then insurance companies would jump at the idea because they'd make a fortune in premiums and almost never have to pay out.
5.  Mandatory rotation between jobs every so often so they don't have to deal with the same scum bags every day.  I know that has an effect.

There are more, but I have to do.  But I'll add that any cop who tries to use the "our job is tough" bullsht lie automatically gets fired.  You CHOOSE that job, you can leave it.  That's the stupidest excuse I've ever heard.

Oh, wait.  You were serious, weren't you?  That's sad.  Sorry to hear about your childish insecurities.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That river scares the shit out of me.  

I've swam in it.  I've walked part way across it when it was froze over.  Classmates have driven across it in the winter in their car.  (one guy lost his car)

But yes, it scares me too.  But it is very low and slow right now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

so, why have police rescue boats, then?
fishing?
If you go in the water and can cut yourself free, smash out a window and swim to the surface they'll swing by and pick you up. Otherwise they are not competent to do more than motor around, check for PFDs and talk to chicks in bikinis. It is too much to expect the police on a rescue boat to have the equipment and training to, well, you know rescue people.

Around here the boat guys are often the least fit and able to do any kind of strenuous rescue. It's a "treat" assignment for old cops to get on seniority so they can put around on the river. But then we have a hugely obese bike cop around here too. Maybe it's not that bad in other states.

Scooping a floater up is completely different than swift water rescue with entrapment.  A lot of people don't recognize that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am also a Master SCUBA diver who is also a certified and trained rescue diver and to be honest I'd probably have let the car sink as well. That's a pretty dangerous situation to be in because the car is sinking and there's no telling what it will do or where is will go as it sinks. It'd really suck to have the car roll over on you and pin you on the bottom while you watch your pressure gauge run to zero.

Yeah, OK.  

I know what their capable of as well, a friend took a round and just about bled out SATURDAY.  He was in pursuit of a suspect that had just committed a triple homicide, so as far as I'm concerned you're opinions are like assholes, and you are...errr and everybody has one.  You are wrong on many (if not all) of your points.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, OK.  

When you were a guest of the state were you minimum, medium, or maximum security?

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He had his gear, was 10 feet away and the car was near shore and mostly out of the water. The police officer assumed because there was no plate that it was stolen and no one was in it so he ordered the diver to stay away. Oops. Oh well.

Yeah, not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. :(

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He had his gear, was 10 feet away and the car was near shore and mostly out of the water. The police officer assumed because there was no plate that it was stolen and no one was in it so he ordered the diver to stay away. Oops. Oh well.

So, best info is that the car is unnoccupied, and the officer doesn't want anyone risking thier life to check it.

"best info" being a wild assed and wrong guess.

Yeah, gee why else would a car not have a license plate?

Quoted:

Ask a firefighter if every structural fire is like the last.  
Yet they keep running in to burning buildings.

Yeah. I'm not saying it was 100% a bad call on LEOs part. Just that it's disturbing ~ that mentality.

Quoted:

Well, not "the police" so much as _A_ police officer. Granted might have checked w/ another via radio, but looks like one dude.

Quoted:
Quoted:

And we have a winner.

This is why we all need unrestricted rights to carry firearms in any manner we choose at any time or place we choose.

Not seeing what the boat patrol enforcing navigation laws has with your desire to carry a gun anywhere you desire.

Well, seeing that THIS incident was determined to be a "self-rescue" situation. YEAH, looks like we are all mostly on our own. IF I am on my own, I'd rather have a firearm handy IN CASE it is needed. YMMV.

Quoted:

http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/leah-manche-illinois-woman-dies-as-car-discovered-in-mississippi-river-73954/

Different source, different information.

Skid marks at scene.  Which might indicate someone was in the vehicle.

Although being dark, skid marks might not have been evident at the time.

Well... LAST _I_ knew all LEOs are equipped with this amazing 'new' device called a FLASHLIGHT. He was not bright enough to USE that tool and SEE skid marks to re-evaluate his initial ASSumption???

ETA: not bashing Police Officers in general, just this one and any like him who take the 'safe lazy way' out. It SEEMS to be becoming more prevalent, but maybe just being called to our attn more... dunno.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point in posting this thread was to serve as a reminder that police are not obligated to protect individuals.
This just happends to be the first case I've seen.

My local talk radio host was crucifying the local police departments over this.

I kept screaming at my radio that the Supreme Court made it clear that the police don't have to put themselves in harms way for us.

At the same time, most people on the street are convinced that in this situation, the officer at the scene should have jumped in the water.

I don't have a problem with the officer knowing his limits and not risking himself.  
And I have a problem with the officer stopping someone else from helping.

I wasn't there, so I'm being an armchair quarterback.  Maybe the certified master diver didn't tell the cop he was trained and equipped.
Maybe he did, but the cop didn't believe him.  

But like I said, most people believe the police will rescue them.

Understood.  You should make your feelings clear in the first post.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, OK.  

Sounds to me like you have it all figured out. That's a hell of a broad brush you're painting with.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It took the car what, 4-5  minutes to sink?
How long did it take the "rescue boat" to get on station?

Is the "rescue boat" intended for surface rescue or for diving?

Quoted:
Every cop bash thread is deserved. They used to be here to protect and serve. Not anymore. Now they are "law enforcement". I would NEVER voluntarily call the cops for anything. They come to the scene and harass everyone , don't like being held accountable (video recorded), and end up arresting the innocent.

And I'm not some low life who's been arrested 37 times. I've got a clean record. I've seen what cops are capable of, and even the ones who don't actively engage in thuggery are guilty because they know the cops that do and allow it to happen.

Let me tell you something, champ, I (and a lot of others) are more afraid of cops than criminals. I can protect myself from a criminal. I can't protect myself from a roided up, ignorant cop who want to make up charges when he wants to show off his power.

And I also know cops. They all cheat on their wives, treat suspects like shit and laugh about it, and basically act like the gang they are.

And before you call me some name and say I'm just mouthing off, I'm not. I'm serious, and this is how we should start:

1. Anyone who wants to be a cop is automatically denied. That's the first red flag. Every cop I know joined so they could speed and break other laws, not to help people.
2. Random lottery that picks people when they turn 18.
3. If they accept then there would be extensive background checks. Bully in high school? Good bye. Bullied, in High school? Good Bye. Have "short man syndrome". Good bye. Et cetera.
4. Require cops to carry their own insurance. If the fark up the tax payers shouldn't have to pay for it. If the cop farks up enough he insurance get's dropped and he can't be a cop. If there are as many good cops out there as the cops would have us believe then insurance companies would jump at the idea because they'd make a fortune in premiums and almost never have to pay out.
5. Mandatory rotation between jobs every so often so they don't have to deal with the same scum bags every day. I know that has an effect.

There are more, but I have to do. But I'll add that any cop who tries to use the "our job is tough" bullsht lie automatically gets fired. You CHOOSE that job, you can leave it. That's the stupidest excuse I've ever

No, its not "deserved", and you have so many inaccuracies in the rest of the post its ridiculous.
I don't know a single officer who joined so they could "speed"
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That would suck HARD
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
~pointless drivel~

Sounds to me like you have it all figured out. That's a hell of a broad brush you're painting with.

He's finger painting with his own poop.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#41]
I used to kayak a lot, was a kayak instructor.  Can not recall if I ever got swift water rescue certified or not - but had more than a few hours of classroom and river time on it.  For a while, there was an ongoing move to get a whole bunch of us trained to be used by the police/fire department.  They just did not have the swift-water experience that we did - hell we would play in the stuff 500 hrs a year.  Most of our best white water was playing in the same flash floods that were causing most of the deaths.

Instead they wrote laws to prevent us from padding when the water moved.

Anyway, not uncommon for us to be on the same water that accidents tended to happen.  One case that stands in my mind actually involved a person in a "kayak".  Not a paddler by a long shot, but an idiot in an inflatable kayak, in rather large water for us (not any more dangerous, but defiantly very rare flow rates.  He was trapped in a wave (very alien concept for us - we fight to stay in the wave, but then again we are playing in it, carving it, throwing tricks in it - doing tons of stuff that get us caught by the current and spit out prematurely).  A swift water rescue instructor (a avid canoe/kayer) was one of the first responders.  He was kind of laughing at the situation - do you want me to go out there and get him?  The water was such he could have paddle risk free within about 4ft of the victim and tossed him a rescue line.  Probably could have pulled him of the wave, but moreover, if he would have just fallen out of his boat he would have been at sure in 5 seconds.

Anyway, NO was the answer.  Police/fire department totaled 2 jet ski's trying the rescue.  Then used a helicopter to pull the man out.  Unfortunately something failed with the teather the helicopter used and the man fell - killing him.

---

I don't know about diving in current.  But will say that people experienced with it (diving in that river) have a much better perspective of what is safe for them than me or probably the loe.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Most LE aren't trained in Rescue, they are trained in "Law Enforcement" so just because they have a boat doesn't necessarily mean they know what to do with a submerged vehicle.  Usually, a resue boat is for picking up people stranded in trees or floating.  Those boats aren't set up for a submerged/underwater rescue.

I'm on a Rescue Team where I work and as hard as it is for some to understand, we don't trade a life for a life.

As a 1st Responder, you do a site/scene assessment when you get on scene to find out what the (potentially) hazardous conditions are.  If you can remove the Hazard(s), then you approach and render aid.  If you can't remove the Hazard(s) (such as a current) or don't have sufficient equipment/personnel to facilitate a safe rescue then it's "too bad, so sad" (and these are our Friends and Co-Workers, not somebody we don't even know).  As much as you want to help, you don't rush in and turn 1 victim into 2 victims.  

It may sound cold hearted but:
1st comes your own safety (again, we don't trade 1 for 1)
2nd comes your Rescue Team
and last comes the Victim-They got themselves into the situation, not you.

You do hear Headlines about people jumping in and pulling someone out of a submerged vehicle but more often than not, its a "boat capsizes, Father jumps in to save son and drowns" on the 2nd or 3rd page of the local paper.

You learn to think with your head, not your heart.

Like it or not, that's the way it is and has to be with all Rescue Teams or they'll end up going through alot of Members.

Um, sorry, more bullsht.  You voluntarily sign up for the job.  If you lose someone, it was their choice and the knew that losing their life was a possible outcome.  Posts like this are just as disgusting as cops saying "we have a hard job" while trying to cover up their shortcomings and mistakes.

If you're not willing to save someone, find another job.  Period.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clark, who is a certified rescue diver with experience in icy water, said he understands the danger in attempting a rescue in a situation like the one he encountered right outside his front door.

“I have a lot of respect for police and firefighters and for those divers,” he said. “Someone could drown attempting a rescue like that.

Yet being trained, he was willing to accept the risk himself.

He assessed the situation and thought it was safe enough for him.

There’s a chance I would have been sucked through the window from the flow of the water going in,

If he really wanted to go nothing would have stopped him.

Disobeying a police order isn't an arrestable offense?

No, it's not.  They aren't gods.  They would like you to think that.  And they might make something up like disturbing the peace which really means contempt of cop, and it'll probably get dropped later, but they'll do it.  

It's why I always (as everyone should), record every encounter with the police.   I also have it set up so the video uploads every couple of seconds so they can't delete it like they always try to do.  You should see how fast cops go from dick head, power abusing, short penis pricks to your best friend once they find out they can't delete the video you took of them breaking the law or making up false charges.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Um, sorry, more bullsht.  You voluntarily sign up for the job.  If you lose someone, it was their choice and the knew that losing their life was a possible outcome.  Posts like this are just as disgusting as cops saying "we have a hard job" while trying to cover up their shortcomings and mistakes.

Regardless of what you personally think, we do not take this job to take needless risk.
There are risks involved with doing this job, but being reckless and placing ourselves in harms way needlessly is not part of this job, no matter what you personally think.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most LE aren't trained in Rescue, they are trained in "Law Enforcement" so just because they have a boat doesn't necessarily mean they know what to do with a submerged vehicle.  Usually, a resue boat is for picking up people stranded in trees or floating.  Those boats aren't set up for a submerged/underwater rescue.

I'm on a Rescue Team where I work and as hard as it is for some to understand, we don't trade a life for a life.

As a 1st Responder, you do a site/scene assessment when you get on scene to find out what the (potentially) hazardous conditions are.  If you can remove the Hazard(s), then you approach and render aid.  If you can't remove the Hazard(s) (such as a current) or don't have sufficient equipment/personnel to facilitate a safe rescue then it's "too bad, so sad" (and these are our Friends and Co-Workers, not somebody we don't even know).  As much as you want to help, you don't rush in and turn 1 victim into 2 victims.  

You do hear Headlines about people jumping in and pulling someone out of a submerged vehicle but more often than not, its a "boat capsizes, Father jumps in to save son and drowns" on the 2nd or 3rd page of the local paper.

Like it or not, that's the way it is and has to be with all Rescue Teams or they'll end up going through alot of Members.

You really do have it all figured out.  You're welcome to come and do this job....oh wait, you sound like someone who was rejected.  It all makes sense now.  Carry on.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You spew your trash from the safety of a keyboard.  At the same time I seriously doubt that you'd of had the ballls to jump in the river anyway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, wait.  You were serious, weren't you?  That's sad.  Sorry to hear about your childish insecurities.  

lol, yeah, ok, it's not like there are tons of websites that report cop crime, and court records that prove it if you don't believe them.  People like you can try and character assassinate people like me all you want, but as more and more honest people get screwed by cops they wake up.  I used to trust the police.  I know better now.

Public trust in the police is dwindling rapidly, whether you like it or not.  Name calling won't change that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, OK.  

I know what their capable of as well, a friend took a round and just about bled out SATURDAY.  He was in pursuit of a suspect that had just committed a triple homicide, so as far as I'm concerned you're opinions are like assholes, and you are...errr and everybody has one.  You are wrong on many (if not all) of your points.

Anecdotal evidence.  Look it up.    Your story doesn't change anything I said, and for every story you tell me like yours I can tell you ten where cops ruined someones life by falsifying charges, killing unarmed, handcuffed suspects, drug trafficking, et cetera.  

So, in essence, appeal to emotion denied.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Public trust in the police is dwindling rapidly, whether you like it or not.  Name calling won't change that.

Bullshit.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1654/honesty-ethics-professions.aspx
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you're not willing to save someone, find another job. Period.

Give me the equipment and the training.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top