Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I re-read Boze's instructions.  In your opinion, and his, do you think it would still hold together without the cheese in the crust?

Cheese and coconut flour are both out here.  Cheese for paleo, and coconut flour because of allergy.

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just tried the pancakes from the first page, they're not bad.  I like the pizza better though.

I re-read Boze's instructions.  In your opinion, and his, do you think it would still hold together without the cheese in the crust?

Cheese and coconut flour are both out here.  Cheese for paleo, and coconut flour because of allergy.

TRG

no, the cheese is the crust
Try the other recipe, with the cauliflower crust.  It works pretty well it just takes longer and really dry it out good after you turn it into "dough"

ETA  I went back and checked the cauliflower crust one, you're right it wants some cheese.  I think you could lose it, it might be a flaky crust, but most non-dough pizzas are eat with a fork anyway.   Maybe add in an extra egg or so, help with the binder????

There's a meatza recipe too (couple floating around, I don't have anything bookmarked) that you might try.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Try the other recipe, with the cauliflower crust.  It works pretty well it just takes longer and really dry it out good after you turn it into "dough"

ETA  I went back and checked the cauliflower crust one, you're right it wants some cheese.  I think you could lose it, it might be a flaky crust, but most non-dough pizzas are eat with a fork anyway.   Maybe add in an extra egg or so, help with the binder????

There's a meatza recipe too (couple floating around, I don't have anything bookmarked) that you might try.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just tried the pancakes from the first page, they're not bad.  I like the pizza better though.

TRG

This is what I was thinking.  Egg binder.

I have some cauliflower crowns in the freezer right now.  I had a surplus of yellow squash and zucchini in my garden last year.  I turned them in to apple pie flavored preserves.  Too much sugar to eat them now, but, it made me think that flavor is as much in the mind as it is in the starting product.

Cauliflower ice cream is my next experiment to try today.

EDIT/UPDATE ONE:  Steamed 1.5 cup of cauliflower tops.  

Added, 1 cap coconut extract, 2 caps vanilla, 1 cap butter extract, 1 cap babnana extract. 1 tbsp soy milk. Pinch salt.

Texture and eye-appeal ... looks like snow-ice cream.  Taste ... fair. Carbs?... essentially 1g.  (2.5g - 1.4g fiber)

Added 1 measured tspn honey.  Taste ... much better. (6g carbs)  

The cauliflower, as I suspected, 'hides' itself.  The problem is that the brain expects sweetness.  Paleo means I can't make it much sweeter without adding more honey, and the associated carbs take you right back to babnana levels.  I don't have any Stevia here.

Got a couple more things to try, but .. I got time to experiment.

UPDATE TWO...

Sweeteners are the issue.  Smells like ice cream, but, doesn't have the deeply sweet ice cream flavor. If I go with no carb sweeteners, they affect my mood, so I'll leave that so others to try. FWIW, I think you could get this to under 5g per cup ... easily ...  with artificial sweeteners.

I put the mixture back in the processor and tried sweetening with only half a medium babnana.  (1 medium = 20g sugars (28carb-5g fiber.)

This is not quite as creamy as pure banana.  But, it essentially cuts the carbs in half for a 1 cup serving of this mock ice cream (delete prvious honey it's not needed with banana) is going to put you in the 10-12g net carb range.

FWIW, a single Red Delicious Apple is going to go be 15g of sugar carbs (23g  of total carbs-fiber) http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-asda-red-delicious-apples-i69445

Paleo+low carb leaves only banana or coconut cream or honey for sweetening.  Any one of the three will easily push it too far up if you are trying to keep your carbs under 50g daily if you go nuts.

"Bowl of homemade vanilla ice cream, or an apple?" is the question now.  And there are good odds the ice cream is healthier.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#3]
2 small/medium summer squash (julienned in to 'noodles')
salt
pepper
garlic blend
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 stick olive oil and butter blend.
3 cups kale (minced)
1/2 cup smoked salmon (diced)

Put all ingredients in pan (except 'noodles').  Bring to high heat.  Add water (1/2 cup) to steam without lid.  Once at rolling steam, add squash noodles.  Cook 3 minutes.

TRG

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
pancakes:  http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html   These are awesome.  They come out more like crepes and you need sugar free syrup.  I like to add coconut flour to make them more like pancakes.
View Quote

ERMAHGERD.

These are WAY better than the banana pancakes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ERMAHGERD.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
pancakes:  http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html   These are awesome.  They come out more like crepes and you need sugar free syrup.  I like to add coconut flour to make them more like pancakes.

ERMAHGERD.

those look like a fantastic delivery method for breakfast pigs in blankets.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#6]
made this tonight Chocolate Mousse. Used chocolate peanut butter protein powder cuz that's all i had in the house, and omitted the strawberry and the cocoa powder, but i think i didnt use enough liquid sweetener. otherwise it was pretty good... i mean, its whipped cream. what's not to like?
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
How are you guys cooking your chicken breasts?

I was grilling them on the BBQ, but though baking in the oven would be better. I found a recipe online that said 20 minutes at 450 degrees. What are your settings?
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was grilling them on the BBQ, but though baking in the oven would be better. I found a recipe online that said 20 minutes at 450 degrees. What are your settings?
View Quote

So, the best thing I've found for chicken breasts so far is

big full breast (not the half thing that's really a cutlet)
butterfly it, put in some cheese
fold it back over
wrap it in bacon.  (wrap it tight, you might need a few toothpicks on the side to hold it)

put oven to 350
then, get a big cast iron skillet

place the chicken breasts in the warm skillet and get some color on the bacon.  you aren't trying to finish the bacon, but you have to get the bacon 70% done or so or it will be gross and soggy
toss it in the oven, 20 minutes a pound

pull out, let rest for 2-3 minutes (or all the cheese just runs out when you cut into it)

yummy goodness.

even if I'm just doing little cutlets with BBQ (sugar free of course), i just get some color on them maybe 3 or 4 minutes a side, then finish in the oven at 10-15 minutes at 350
20 minutes at 450 is going to be little cooked pieces of charcoal

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Tonight's dinner.  

Ingredients:

1/2 stick butter
2 tbsp garlic and herb (no salt) seasoning
black pepper
1 cup almond flour
1 cup coconut oil
1 zucchini
2 eggs.
1 pkg catfish tenders (raw) 2.50 per lb.
Handful of kale.

Beat eggs. add 1 tbsp garlic seasonin, black pepper.  Cover fish with egg mix.  Dredge in almond flour.  Pan fry in coconut oil.

Use julienne slicer to remove outter green (for presentation only) from zuke.  Then julienne white parts.  Place in a covered pot with 1/2 stick butter, garlic and 1 tbsp garlic and herb seasonin'.  Steam for 5 minutes.  Stir as needed.

It makes this... and it was glorious.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used a sharp paring knife and made a breast in to a hollow pocket.  I seasoned some canned spinach with garlic, onion and BBQ spice.  Pressed it in to the breast pocket.  Cooked in oil in a covered pan.

It was delicious, but... it looked like a giant oyster.  Even had the oyster flavor from the garlic, onion and seasoning.

Now, don;t get me wrong, I love oysters...love them.

I could not stop eating them, but, if you don't like oysters, your brain will not comply with the presentation.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Tagging.....

I've had bacon and cheese for two weeks straight but have a weakness for the "carb balance" tortillas.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#12]
so what do you guys snack on for sweet stuff? i bought a bunch of quest bars, but at $2 a bar, its definitely not an everyday thing. I also made these low carb peanut butter cups. freakin delicious.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
so what do you guys snack on for sweet stuff? i bought a bunch of quest bars, but at $2 a bar, its definitely not an everyday thing. I also made these low carb peanut butter cups. freakin delicious.
View Quote

I try to 'save' my carbs for a single sweet item each day.  It's typically fruit.  A sherbert style smoothy is 1 cup frozen blue berries, tbsp coconut milk, 1 cup frozen raw cauliflower (adds fiber, and filler without carbs), half a babnana.

If not that, 5-6 prunes, dollop of homemade macadamia nut butter.  

After four months of cutting carbs to the bones, I really don;t even want sugars any more.  

TRG

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#14]
quest shit are full of fuck if you're trying to stay low carb.

Not to mention the fucktardedly high insulin spike they cause...
just saying...
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

heavy cream, whipped
add a little vanilla
add some blackberries or raspberries (whichever is on sale that week)

it will taste ridiculously sweet, even though neither of those berries is what I would consider sweet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Not exactly a meal, but this stuff has some awesome ingredients, and should substitute nicely for those of us who hate veggis:

Green Vibrance

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
quest shit are full of fuck if you're trying to stay low carb.

Not to mention the fucktardedly high insulin spike they cause...

just saying...
View Quote

Fuck, really? They're only 3-5 net carbs...
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#18]
All protein bars are just candybars with some whey tossed in.

The quest bars are the same... they just use splenda and a few fiber compounds that actually spike insulin (from blood sugar raise)... not to mention use garbage whey.

If you want sweets. Eat a fucking reeses PB cup. it wont drop you out of ketosis... unless you eat 3 packages of em...  
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 12:43:15 AM EDT
[#19]
The ones I've got say they've got erithritol in them. Thought that was stevia? I was under the influence that stevia didn't spike blood sugar like Splenda does.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#20]
You're correct the new quest bars use stevia, used to use splenda.

New formula still causes blood glucose spikes like a champ.  Check out the diabetic forums online, it's prevalent.

I'm not against thementirely, but don't be fooled into thinking they're anything mor than a cheat/candy bar.  The specific fiber they use is essentially mistaken by the body as sugar... there are reports that they WILL drop you out off ketosis...
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Well that's fucky.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just want to make sure I read that right. You mix the peanut butter and cream in with the chocolate?
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just want to make sure I read that right. You mix the peanut butter and cream in with the chocolate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup. they are fucking amazing. melt it all, mix it all, freeze it. LEAVE IT IN THE CUPCAKE PAPERS! i made the mistake of taking them all out of the cupcake papers after freezing. the papers make an excellent wrapper, and you'll want to store them in the freezer, as they are the perfect consistency "frozen", and will melt at room temp.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

yup. they are fucking amazing. melt it all, mix it all, freeze it. LEAVE IT IN THE CUPCAKE PAPERS! i made the mistake of taking them all out of the cupcake papers after freezing. the papers make an excellent wrapper, and you'll want to store them in the freezer, as they are the perfect consistency "frozen", and will melt at room temp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#25]
also, i used the simply lite dark chocolate, low carb version available at the registers at Trader Joe's. This Stuff
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Redi whip.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Redi whip.
View Quote

gross

real heavy cream
whip it up with an immersion blender
redi whip isn't even food
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Mustard is the only one of my regular condiments that has no carbs!!

So far this thread is all about main dishes. What sorts of keto - friendly condiments have you guys discovered?
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Mustard is the only one of my regular condiments that has no carbs!!

So far this thread is all about main dishes. What sorts of keto - friendly condiments have you guys discovered?
View Quote

hot sauce, sambal oelek, mayo
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Limited amounts of Hollandaise
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't mayo. Shits poison.

Use avocado instead...   Siracha, garlic hot wing sauce, flavored mustards,.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

isn't it just oil and egg yolks?

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I tried those pancakes and made the mistake of grabbing some sugsr free syrup to use. The pancakes were great. The syrup was sweetened with sorbitol. I should have read the ingredients instead of the just the carb count. If I were to describe the impact of sorbitol on my gut this would become a liquid filled poop thread.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I tried those pancakes and made the mistake of grabbing some sugsr free syrup to use. The pancakes were great. The syrup was sweetened with sorbitol. I should have read the ingredients instead of the just the carb count. If I were to describe the impact of sorbitol on my gut this would become a liquid filled poop thread.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

So, it was like the sugar free gummy bear reviews on amazon? LOL!

Thanks for the warning.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I am considering buying a bag of the gummi bears as a"fuck you" to place in a public place of people I hate.

Mayo:   make your own it's cool.  Most store bought use soy oil and edta.   Both should be no no items in anyone's diet.  

I am far from a dietary Nazi... but these are things (there aren't many) I follow for actual health reasons...
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  You can make your own pretty easily.

Maybe darktide was talking about commercially produced stuff?

TRG
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I saw this recipe on Pinterest. I think I'm going to try making it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a quick question about low carb stuff. Are there any crackers out there that you can eat while doing low carb?

I like the Triscuit crackers, especially the cracked pepper and fire roasted tomato and olive oil.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have a quick question about low carb stuff. Are there any crackers out there that you can eat while doing low carb?

I like the Triscuit crackers, especially the cracked pepper and fire roasted tomato and olive oil.

Thanks
View Quote

I'm thinking of trying to make some this coming weekend.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I saw this recipe on Pinterest. I think I'm going to try making it tomorrow.
View Quote

Made it. It took quite a bit longer than 5 minutes in the oven for it to brown up.

The overall flavor is good. It's got a nice, pleasant crunch to it.

I also made these today. They are delicious. I don't know how well it falls into the keto diet, but it might be a good treat now and then.

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

So they should be GTG for low carb? Back in the day my wife used to buy mozzarella cheese, pepperoni slices, and tomato sauce and made triscuit pizzas. They were really good.

I was tempted to buy some in the grocery store tonight, but I don't want to ruin my diet.

I have cut out all sweets, cookies, bread, noodles, corn, and potatoes. I have been hitting the gym and doing lots of core workout with 30 mins on the treadmill. So far in two weeks im down 5 lbs.

If I was to stop loosing it would break my will.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

the easiest thing is to make hard cheese things
just spread some cheese on a wax paper and nuke it for 15/30 seconds (depends on the wave)
let it sit and it will harden up
you can make taco shells too

crunchy is the one thing that keto doesn't have a lot of.
Pork rinds are zero carb  (double check to be sure, some are cheats)

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

just spread some cheese on a wax paper and nuke it for 15/30 seconds (depends on the wave)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Almonds, rare pork rinds, Low carb tortillas cooked till crispy...
Sprouted grain bread from trader joes  (3g? carbs/ slice)...   toast that shit, make sandwiches, etc.

my new favorite:   Dry roasted Edamame-->   It's soy protein, but used sparingly... they're a crunchy treat that I eat frequetly.

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Does anyone use giardinera as a low carb side? I found some at the supermarket that was mostly cauliflower, celery with some peppers and carrots. It had 15 carbs for the 32oz jar.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does anyone use giardinera as a low carb side? I found some at the supermarket that was mostly cauliflower, celery with some peppers and carrots. It had 15 carbs for the 32oz jar.
View Quote

I ferment my own.

Cauliflower, peppers, small onions, celery, etc. in a jar with some salt water. let it sit at 70 degrees and fermet for a few days.

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I ferment my own.

Cauliflower, peppers, small onions, celery, etc. in a jar with some salt water. let it sit at 70 degrees and fermet for a few days.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I ferment my own.

I bought the mezzettta one but it was pickled not fermented. It was delicious so I made my own.

ETA: potato pic

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#48]
I just had a glass of chocolate milk for breakfast.

Kroger, makers of carbmaster yogurt, now has carbmaster milk.  The chocolate has 7 actual carbs per serving, less net.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Kroger, makers of carbmaster yogurt, now has carbmaster milk.  The chocolate has 7 actual carbs per serving, less net.
View Quote

Does it taste as bad as the yogurt? Or does it actually taste like milk?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pretty good.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top