Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay safe and if you do go back to try and help don't be too trusting of people...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
whata mess..
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Stay safe and if you do go back to try and help don't be too trusting of people...

for sure

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Part 3

This is my 3rd trip back across into the affected area. We went to get things out of my friend's apartment.

is this video of what used to be called Fountainbleau Apts?  If so I spent a lot of time there in 1982.  Glad you are safe.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Part 3

This is my 3rd trip back across into the affected area. We went to get things out of my friend's apartment.

is this video of what used to be called Fountainbleau Apts?  If so I spent a lot of time there in 1982.  Glad you are safe.

Not sure- it is (was) called Charleston Square Apartments
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
that's it, saw the aerial footage the other day just incredible destruction, time to start over on many of these places.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I am really, really surprised at the lack of law enforcement presence at that scene.

Here the cops would be spending most of their time shooing away folks trying to get back to their homes to try to save pets/belongings/vehicles. When we got hit by wildfires a few years ago (similar size path of destruction) that was their primary focus (forcing people out and keeping them out, even for weeks after the fact).

Rescue? Not their damn job.

Your buddy go through all of that to save a guitar? (Couldn't tell if it was a rifle case or guitar). Was he able to salvage anything else? And was that his Mustang that you guys stopped at?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn. Wow.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am really, really surprised at the lack of law enforcement presence at that scene.

Here the cops would be spending most of their time shooing away folks trying to get back to their homes to try to save pets/belongings/vehicles. When we got hit by wildfires a few years ago (similar size path of destruction) that was their primary focus (forcing people out and keeping them out, even for weeks after the fact).

Your buddy go through all of that to save a guitar? (Couldn't tell if it was a rifle case or guitar). Was he able to salvage anything else? And was that his Mustang that you guys stopped at?

There was no presence of emergency responders for most of the time, when we did see them we kinda tried to dodge them but they didn't try to keep us out. I mean a huge portion of the city was destroyed so it would be impossible to keep us out.

We made three trips over to get his belongings. Yeah it was a guitar.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was no presence of emergency responders for most of the time, when we did see them we kinda tried to dodge them but they didn't try to keep us out. I mean a huge portion of the city was destroyed so it would be impossible to keep us out.

Gotcha.

Thought it was a one shot deal and the only thing grabbed was the guitar. Not criticizing, just seemed like an odd item to grab if you could only take what you could carry in one trip.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.

Thought it was a one shot deal and the only thing grabbed was the guitar. Not criticizing, just seemed like an odd item to grab if you could only take what you could carry in one trip.

No his red backpack in the second video was his first grab which contained his laptop and other small expensive items I guess.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad you guys made it out ok. Thanks for sharing the video.

I feel for you guys, I've seen too much of that growing up in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#13]
have to tag for home. cant watch youtube from work again. software too old yet again.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#14]
About to head back.

Text "Give" to 80888 to give $10 to relief efforts through the Salvation Army.

Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross from your phone or visit www.redcross.com

We need all the help we can get.

Link Posted: 5/5/2011 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#15]
If you donate $100 through Charlie Sheen you get a baseball signed by him! The relief efforts in Tuscaloosa have been amazing. Faster and more efficient than any hurricane emergency response I've ever seen. Right now we have more clothes and water than we know what to do with-we need non perishable food and cash donations.

Roll Tide.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Scary stuff, thanks for sharing.  Stay safe.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#17]
tag for later
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top