Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When they shitcan a bunch of employees who just priced themselves out of work, what does that do to welfare applications?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Part of their benefit package to employees should be a welfare application so we can all help subsidies their profits
When they shitcan a bunch of employees who just priced themselves out of work, what does that do to welfare applications?  

then it's not a viable business. I don't want to help subsidize McDonald's.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Profit.

It's the person's responsibility to make a "living" wage.. whatever that means.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't want to help subsidize McDonald's.
View Quote

If you think it's McDonalds' fault that a lot of their employees qualify for welfare, then there's no helping you.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Part of their benefit package to employees should be a welfare application so we can all help subsidies their profits

The business will be fine; the employees replaced by technology will not be.  Net result: McD's profits remain nearly unchanged, unemployment goes up.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not?  We subsidize practically every other business through our social programs and tax breaks (if not outright handouts).
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not a business's duty to pay someone more than they're worth, and it's not the governments duty to make it comfortable to be poor.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
A living wage
whats that?

oh its when
you have a/the ability to
HOLD monies aside for retirement
HOLD monies aside for collage funds
HOLD monies aside for the savings acc

if and when (or why ) you don't have EXTRA money for those options
YOU BROKE
so where does it start ( END ) at 75/125.00 an HOUR   ya 125 an hour ... that should do it just FINE

no 10/15bucks an HOUR is a LIVING wage
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't want to subsidize big businesses with low wages that force their employees to go on welfare. Raise wages, reduce welfare. Welfare is just a subsidy for companies like walmart/mcdonalds. If your company isn't profitable enough to pay someone a decent wage, I'm okay with you going out of business.

Instead of the companies paying for their meals, its you and me. No thanks.

Business subsidies are dumb, along with agricultural subsidies which I'm sure many on this board are fond of and will speak up against the FSA mcdonalds worker.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why not?  We subsidize practically every other business through our social programs and tax breaks (if not outright handouts).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep we are all FSA
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That would be the most beneficial for the businesses but not society.  That's where the conflict is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever a competent applicant is willing to do it for.

That would be the most beneficial for the businesses but not society.  That's where the conflict is.

No, the conflict arises because of a failure to recognize that our society IS "business".

Society is a population working together for the mutual benefit of all. We each contribute our strengths and skills, and produce goods and services needed or desired by other members of that population.  We choose to exchange those products via a system of currency that represents an agreed-upon value, to avoid having to, say, drag my cow into town to trade for your web design skills when I decide the farm needs a new web site.  Business is what makes us a society, and trying to artificially manipulate the value structure rips the foundation out of the very society we think we're trying to protect.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What determines a living wage?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't want to subsidize big businesses with low wages that force their employees to go on welfare. Raise wages, reduce welfare. Welfare is just a subsidy for companies like walmart/mcdonalds.
View Quote

Government-controlled price fixing has worked out so well for everything else in the past....

Commies gonna commie, I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

McDonald's, Target, Walmart, Kohl's, Kmart, should they be required to pay their workers a living wage? Or should their main concern be the bottom line, profit? Personally I think that you go into business to make a profit, not to be socially engineered by the government.
View Quote

I can't think of many retail jobs which couldn't be replaced by robotics. Once the technology becomes more prevalent, it will become more refined and more affordable.  

The 'living-wage geniuses' are in for a rude awakening if/when their agenda grows legs. They'll not only cut their own throats...they'll cut the throats of every other retail employee who has a job.

Ronald McDonald will become Ronald McRobo....and he will run the soup lines for all the unemployed 'living-wage geniuses'.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#15]
It is the job of any business pay people what they are willing to work for.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I work three jobs in this new normal to get a living fucking wage. not by bitching and moaning.

I actually enjoy all the work and diversity of income streams. wife works too.

I can't wait for both kids to be in school and day care costs plummet.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What determines a living wage?

This.

There are formulas
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Government-controlled price fixing has worked out so well for everything else in the past....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't want to subsidize big businesses with low wages that force their employees to go on welfare. Raise wages, reduce welfare. Welfare is just a subsidy for companies like walmart/mcdonalds.

Its better than the current system of tax everyone except the companies that pay their wages. I don't eat at mcdonalds yet I subsidize their workforce. That sounds a lot more commie than what I propose.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You seem to think that those employees would be earning more if there weren't social programs supporting them.  The truth is, if they were more expensive (because they weren't supported by social programs) the company would fire a portion of them, increase automation and make the remaining ones produce more, commensurate with their increased productivity.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Irrelevant. Trying to control wages that way will have unintended consequences that defeat the whole purpose.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Its better than the current system of tax everyone except the companies that pay their wages. I don't eat at mcdonalds yet I subsidize their workforce. That sounds a lot more commie than what I propose.
View Quote

Sure... if you actually believe that drivel.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#22]
No. There is no doubt though that employers take advantage. You'll never hear that on here though...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It is a the job of a store to pay enough to attract the kind of employees they need to turn a profit.
View Quote

This, verbatim.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No, the conflict arises because of a failure to recognize that our society IS "business".

Society is a population working together for the mutual benefit of all. We each contribute our strengths and skills, and produce goods and services needed or desired by other members of that population.  We choose to exchange those products via a system of currency that represents an agreed-upon value, to avoid having to, say, drag my cow into town to trade for your web design skills when I decide the farm needs a new web site.  Business is what makes us a society, and trying to artificially manipulate the value structure rips the foundation out of the very society we think we're trying to protect.
View Quote

I disagree.  Often the desires of business run directly counter to the interests of the society they reside in (for a variety of reasons).  Business are created to, as you said, better society but they are not "the society" and due to their necessity for society to function I believe the government has a legitimate role to play in keeping the balance between the public's interest and business' interest.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But you are paying higher taxes because that low wage worker still qualifies for welfare.  More people getting paid a living  wage = fewer people qualifying for the Government dole.

All these low wage people quality for government assistance, so a low minimum wage is more corporate welfare than anything else.  Those guys working fast food at $7hr still get their EBT, obama phone, section 8 housing, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, it is the responsibility of the employee to gain a set of skills and knowledge to acquire a position that will provide a living wage.

Where is the fairness in that, gee.

I'm not paying $9 for a Big Mac just illegal aliens can live higher off the hog.

But you are paying higher taxes because that low wage worker still qualifies for welfare.  More people getting paid a living  wage = fewer people qualifying for the Government dole.

All these low wage people quality for government assistance, so a low minimum wage is more corporate welfare than anything else.  Those guys working fast food at $7hr still get their EBT, obama phone, section 8 housing, etc.

Doubling the pay from minimum wage to $15.00 an hour will not work for fast food workers. "They" complain at their fast food job it takes an hours wage to buy their lunch/supper meal on the job. So... if it goes to $15.00 an hour, the money has to come from somewhere and that will be doubling fast food prices. So, it will still take an hours wage to buy lunch/supper on the job.

So my prediction...

If/when $15.00 happens fewer people will buy fast food. My pension is not going to have a cola adjustment so I can afford a $12.00 Big Mac! The result will be fast food franchises close due to lack of business at the doubled price.  So the $15.00 fast food jobs will dramatically decrease due to closed franchises. How does $7.50 and a job compare to being laid off from a $15.00 an hour when the FF restaurants start closing?  AND... places like Applebees, (sit down restaurants) where the employees make most of their money in tips will thrive and grow. If it is going to cost me $15.00 for a Big Mac, I will go to a Cotton Patch restaurant and get a meal with veggies for the same price!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would be paying MORE for those people if McDonalds didn't employ them.  How do you not understand this?

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You seem to think that those employees would be earning more if there weren't social programs supporting them.  The truth is, if they were more expensive (because they weren't supported by social programs) the company would fire a portion of them, increase automation and make the remaining ones produce more, commensurate with their increased productivity.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good, maybe that will encourage them to start their own business instead of just coast on minimum wage + welfare. In the end, there would be less people on welfare because business would pull people out of it or fire them (who are the people that are already on welfare).
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It is the job of any business pay people what they are willing to work for.
View Quote

This is the post.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You would be paying MORE for those people if McDonalds didn't employ them.  How do you not understand this?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If McDonalds doubles their wages and fires half their staff, I'm okay with that. It pulls half of their staff off the welfare tit. The half they fired are already on welfare and would get a marginal increase in benefits. Net gain to tax payer, minus gain to people who eat at mcdonalds.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't support the government mandating what any business pays but at one time these jobs did pay a living wage. Our neighbor when I was growing up owned 10 acres of some awesome land, he retired from Sears. Who goes into that line of work to make a career of it anymore?

At one point in our history, the employers counted on their employees to stick around for the long haul and compensated them for it. Would you rather talk to the punk kid that's been there for 6 months or the guy that's been dealing with the products in his department for the last 15 years?

I honestly think both sides are at fault. You've got fast food workers demanding $15/hr and you've got corporations that only care about the stock price.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not? Really?

Well...the reason is because ....I have to pay for all those fucking social programs!! Are you fucking daft? Because we subsidize FSA-R-US we should subsidize every other vapid cocksucker who won't apply themselves enough to learn a living wage skill?

Where will all those fucking subsidies come from? Fuck, dude, I'm shittin' subsidies as fast as I can...and still you want more...

Teeners gonna teen....

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
McDonald's is where high school kids and bored moms work. Not the family bread winner.

I haven't earned minimum wage since 2 months into my first job in high school.  The concept of an adult not having the skills to earn more than that blows my mind.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll go you one better; people who prepare fast food for a living don't deserve a living wage, particularly adults.
McDonald's is where high school kids and bored moms work. Not the family bread winner.

I haven't earned minimum wage since 2 months into my first job in high school.  The concept of an adult not having the skills to earn more than that blows my mind.  

I feel the same way.  I haven't earned minimum wage since I turned 17.  I can't comprehend how people, mainly adults, can't find a way to earn more than minimum wage.  

I guess some people are designed to dig ditches.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#33]
The way you've phrased the question means you acknowledge that there is such a thing as a "living wage" that you're willing to deny.

What makes you think there is a so called "living wage" in the first place?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The wage rate for unskilled labor is determined by:

A) The number of available positions
B) The number of available workers

That's it.

It's the same for any job.

The higher the training requirement, the smaller the labor pool. In most cases that means a higher wage. If your particular industry tanks, even highly skilled people can wind up fucked.

If literally anyone can walk in off the street and learn your "job" in a few hours, do not expect a living wage. Put another way, if you can be replaced in minimal time with minimal effort, do not expect a living wage.

View Quote

In some cases like mine the employer can pay even skilled workers SHIT pay because they know there are 300 applicants lined up to do my job for even LESS. Bunch of evil mother fuckers.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Good, maybe that will encourage them to start their own business instead of just coast on minimum wage + welfare
. In the end, there would be less people on welfare because business would pull people out of it or fire them (who are the people that are already on welfare).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good, maybe that will encourage them to start their own business instead of just coast on minimum wage + welfare
. In the end, there would be less people on welfare because business would pull people out of it or fire them (who are the people that are already on welfare).
LOLOLOLOL

Yeah, the adults who couldn't be bothered to gain a skill more complex than working a minimum wage gig at McDonalds will pull themselves out of poverty by starting a business!!!  OMFG, LOL

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In some cases like mine the employer can pay even skilled workers SHIT pay because they know there are 300 applicants lined up to do my job for even LESS. Bunch of evil mother fuckers.
View Quote

Remove all the illegals from the workforce in this country and what does that do to your 300 applicants?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I feel the same way.  I haven't earned minimum wage since I turned 17.  I can't comprehend how people, mainly adults, can't find a way to earn more than minimum wage.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll go you one better; people who prepare fast food for a living don't deserve a living wage, particularly adults.

Their lack of motivation is the key. Stop subsidizing their shitty lifestyles by making shit paying jobs harder to find. Stop companies from benefiting from having shitty jobs readily available. Make the FSA uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

If that's the case... just how "skilled" are you?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why not? Really?

Well...the reason is because ....I have to pay for all those fucking social programs!! Are you fucking daft? Because we subsidize FSA-R-US we should subsidize every other vapid cocksucker who won't apply themselves enough to learn a living wage skill?

Where will all those fucking subsidies come from? Fuck, dude, I'm shittin' subsidies as fast as I can...and still you want more...

Teeners gonna teen....

View Quote

Not that I agree with everything you said, but the "why not" was sarcastic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
LOLOLOLOL  

Yeah, the adults who couldn't be bothered to gain a skill more complex than working a minimum wage gig at McDonalds will pull themselves out of poverty by starting a business!!!  OMFG, LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOLOLOLOL  

Ehh I dont necessarily think that will happen, but I'm okay with getting rid of shitty jobs that pay shit wages. If McDonalds fires their entire staff because its cheaper to put say, touchscreen registers and automates everything, people will be required to build those automated machines. Those jobs are worth far more than garbage "would you like fries with that" jobs. No one is subsidizing McDonalds then.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I disagree.  Often the desires of business run directly counter to the interests of the society they reside in (for a variety of reasons).  Business are created to, as you said, better society but they are not "the society" but due to their necessity for society to function I believe the government has a legitimate role to play in keeping the balance between the public's interest and business' interest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.  Often the desires of business run directly counter to the interests of the society they reside in (for a variety of reasons).  Business are created to, as you said, better society but they are not "the society" but due to their necessity for society to function I believe the government has a legitimate role to play in keeping the balance between the public's interest and business' interest.

Thank you for responding civilly and explaining your viewpoint sans chest-thumping and bickering.

I counter with:  name a productive member of society who is not, in some way, engaged in business.  If you work for a living, you are participating in business.  If you consume goods, produce goods or services, travel, communicate, educate or be educated, you are interacting with business.  The only people who don't, by definition, must be supported by those who are.  That's our other failure.  Welfare needs to go away.  Society simply cannot function when a significant percentage are not pulling their own weight; consuming but not producing.  It's not a theory... look around.

Yes, we need a safety net of some sort to protect against domino-effect disruptions when a person is injured or has some other legitimate reason for not being physically able to work.  But these should be short term and temporary.  There will always be some overhead to accommodate, but nationally-administered welfare programs are probably not the best way to manage it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The way you've phrased the question means you acknowledge that there is such a thing as a "living wage" that you're willing to deny.

View Quote

Because there are basic necessities people need to live..something like, food, clothing, and shelter. Never heard that before?

having pissed off employees that have shitty service is probably going to hurt company and <gasp> profits. Half of the people who work minimum wage already do a piss poor job, I couldn't imagine what it would be like if ARF got its wish.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Needs poll.  The answer is "no."
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Because there are basic necessities people need to live..something like, food, clothing, and shelter. Never heard that before?

having pissed off employees that have shitty service is probably going to hurt company and <gasp> profits. Half of the people who work minimum wage already do a piss poor job, I couldn't imagine what it would be like if ARF got its wish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, it would be someone else's fault..............I guess that sounds rather liberal though eh?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What an awesome post. You hit the nail on the head!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, they can starve. No right to a job or income in the constitution.

It's a good thing that FDR's Second Bill of Rights never gained traction, or we'd be just like Europe now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Labor is a commodity. It is bought and sold in the market place. Stores should buy labor at the lowest price they can while maintaining the quality goals. Employees sell their labor for the highest possible price. If they want to make more money, they need to make their labor more valuable. Like working harder or having advanced or special skills.

View Quote

Although what you say is mostly fantasy I do agree about labor being bought and sold on the marketplace. The company should purchase labor at its lowest cost to still maintain quality. However a large corporation with its "buying power" to purchase labor totally engulfs the individuals "selling power". Therefore enter unions.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I didn't know all those businesses were getting welfare checks.  Since the money goes to individuals who've applied for it, I figure we're subsidizing them.

<----  DU
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Meh, it would be someone else's fault..............I guess that sounds rather liberal though eh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's their own problems. Get an education or something. Not my problem.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Said much less snarkily than I can manage right now.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top