User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's a time and a place for that, but if that was the answer I got for everything and every question, I'd be out of there
View Quote
Pretty much the plan.
I asked my boss about following NFPA70 labeling.." we'll worry about that when and if we get caught " !
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
OK to report drunk drivers
not OK to report texting drivers
not OK to report stoned drivers
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I had someone at work recently rat on me. Not for the benefit of the company, but because he had a grudge from a perceived slight from almost two years ago.

He followed me, eavesdropped on my conversation, then ratted me out to a supervisor for repeating low level confidential information (vague details about my performance on an interview panel).

That is not a "whistleblower", it is a slimy rat bastard.

Snitches are the lowest form of life on the planet. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't think framing it in ethics is necessarily the best option.

The real question is, if you act in that manner(Snitching), who will it socially effect you if you extrapolate the behavior and apply it across a broader span of time. Will it positively effect you in the social realm long term?
View Quote
If you live in a rich and vibrant area, and you see drug deals going down, and you snitch to cops, it will not positively affect you in the social realm. Does that mean you should not?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There's a distinct difference between running to somebody and volunteering information...and telling the truth if asked a direct question. 
View Quote
Yup. And if someone else's mistake may cause me to lose my job or my capt's license I won't hesitate to speak up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Snitches get Stitches
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

if his keeping silent would be an abdication of his duty to the employer (a safety issue, for example), then it would be wrong for him not to report.  if he's just doing it to curry favor at your expense, that's shitty.  OTOH, business is business, and if a competitor makes an error, a smart businessman will make use of that.  

capitalism is harsh, but fair.
View Quote
I think that in all situations, if reporting would be a breach of duty, it's wrong. If keeping silent would be a breach of duty, it's wrong. OTOH, there aren't many people I'd rat out for a 16/24 SG, and I don't think I'd rat one of my sons out for anything.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#8]
It's unethical to allow someone to get away with a crime- a legal or moral crime.
If you know, and don't say, it's a sin of omission.

I think it's largely circumstantial.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Very few times. Maybe if someone is talking suicide or voting democrat - same thing really.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Depends.  Reporting something Illegal, immoral or unethical is fine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
depends - situational ethics and all that.

If snitching saves lives, then it isn't even a question.

If snitching saves someone a shitload of money, again not a question.

If it is over petty bullshit, then what's the point?
View Quote
Mostly this.  If you examine any major F up in the world, it could have been prevented if someone said something to the right people.

I'd like to hear someone justify street silence/loyalty in comparison to a plane crash, a lost battle, police brutality, a building falling over etc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Snitches get Stitches
View Quote
The slogan of the third world or third world behavior.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Ask this guy.  

Hall monitor
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
depends - situational ethics and all that.

If snitching saves lives, then it isn't even a question.

If snitching saves someone a shitload of money, again not a question.

If it is over petty bullshit, then what's the point?
View Quote
This.  Another in a long line of ridiculous threads.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snitches get Stitches
If your neighbor showed you an unpapered SBS, would you cheese him out?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#16]
"I didnt report the missing lifeboats because you know...I didn't want to be a bitch...."

No you just became complicit in manslaughter.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I would say so long as the rules are ethical yes. But I'm somewhat of the opinion that it depends on what was done that shouldn't have been.

I have snitched on people plenty of times, once for murder, once for eating some cookies from a package in a store and throwing the package away..yes I watched them pick it up, open eat and throw the package away, fuck thieves!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#18]
My observations in life teach me that those who mind their own business have it better than snitches.

If it doesn't concern me then I didn't see shit. Nobody likes a rat.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snitches get Stitches
Goes back to that list.  If my neighbor was a drug dealer with loud music then sure, speed dial that in.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My observations in life teach me that those who mind their own business have it better than snitches.

If it doesn't concern me then I didn't see shit. Nobody likes a rat.
View Quote
So if your wife's throat was cut, but it didn't involve me so I didn't say anything,  that's cool with you?
(Obviously not) context and severity matter. Parking in a fire lane is one thing, stealing is another etc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#21]
If you know that someone is going to cause some kind of harm to another through malice, negligence or incompetence, then it is unethical to remain silent. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Never conduct your life in a manner that gives someone else the power to destroy you by dropping a dime on you.

Only a complete fool would give someone that power.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This.

Now this is nothing illegal, nothing safety concerned.
I was asked why we use a certain item on a production line from time to to when another item would be easier.
My response was, because that's the way they have always done it, and it's not goods to criticize how we do it.
This person ran to his supervisor and repeated what I said.
The super says we use it because of the rotation..............pure BS.

I have seen a guy in my shop ratting people for small minor stuff, he said , she said stuff, but in the small company I work for, this is how people get a ahead.

Time to look for  new job !
View Quote
That guy is what's commonly referred to as a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So if your wife's throat was cut, but it didn't involve me so I didn't say anything,  that's cool with you?
(Obviously not) context and severity matter. Parking in a fire lane is one thing, stealing is another etc.
View Quote
I have an ex-wife so you picked a bad example.

Obviously there are lines that can be crossed. If I see Bob swipe Toms Coke from the office fridge I'm not saying anything unless I'm accused or the fucker takes mine next.

Serious crime is another matter. I'm sure some boyscout will come along and disagree with me IDGAF. I've never had problems getting along at work. Making an enemy out of Bob by ratting him out serves me no purpose and I wouldn't lose any sleep over not reporting the soda theft.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#25]
If it's unethical, you're a snitch.

if it's ethical, you're a whistleblower or a hero.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I would say if it's done for personal gain, it's unethical.

any other time, better know how to suture a wound....
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#27]
The question as it's worded is flawed. Legal or illegal isn't the determining factor. Look at our crazy gun laws. It has more to do with right and wrong. Most of what other people do I don't care about. There are things that justify notifying others about. One mans snitch is another mans hero right? Think about it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Do it out of hatred.

There's a douche in our neighborhood who has a Caddy plastered with pro-Hillary and anti-Tea Party stickers.  The car has two flat tires, expired registration and expired inspection stickers. He keeps it parked on the street instead of in his driveway.

Did I call the cops and report the abandoned vehicle with expired tags?

Yes I did.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I probably should have just told him to ask his supervisor.
But then, he would say I wasn't helpful, it's a no win sometimes.
As an example, a guy, saw another guy checking Golf score on a company computer, he ratted him out, the guy that did the ratting does the same fucking thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That never feels good. Double check yourself. Were you in the righ?
I probably should have just told him to ask his supervisor.
But then, he would say I wasn't helpful, it's a no win sometimes.
As an example, a guy, saw another guy checking Golf score on a company computer, he ratted him out, the guy that did the ratting does the same fucking thing.
If we had a problem w/ one person stabbing everyone else in the back I'd probably get together with some coworkers and return the favor.  Get everyone to report him every time he does something against the rules.    A knife in the back deserves 2 in return. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Situation dependent.

If the information you have can get you terminated from employment, have criminal charges brought against you, or affects you personally then you gotta snitch, but  for most other instances, MYOB.

Well, I guess there are a lot of other instances where being a snitch is okay. Like what if you knew a serial killer and had evidence of it? MYOB doesn't fly in this situation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The question as it's worded is flawed. Legal or illegal isn't the determining factor. Look at our crazy gun laws. It has more to do with right and wrong. Most of what other people do I don't care about. There are things that justify notifying others about. One mans snitch is another mans hero right? Think about it.
View Quote
Example.  

I see a corner drug dealer dressed mostly in blue murdered by a car load of guys wearing red. Does it make me a hero to go to court and make myself a potential target for retaliation by testifying in the murder trial of a scumbag? Does it make me immoral to say I saw nothing in the interest of self preservation?

Now replace blue clad drug dealer with a 10 year old child caught in the crossfire and ask the same questions.

Nothing is black and white.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Depends....regular life regular job...then most issues are not that important.

But if it is something "criminal" where there is a victim then call me a Rat or a snitch I don't give a damn.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Do it out of hatred.

There's a douche in our neighborhood who has a Caddy plastered with pro-Hillary and anti-Tea Party stickers.  The car has two flat tires, expired registration and expired inspection stickers. He keeps it parked on the street instead of in his driveway.

Did I call the cops and report that the abandoned vehicle with expired tags?

Yes I did.
View Quote
Spite can be a valid motivation. I've done things I normally wouldn't do just to get back at somebody I hated.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I owe OP no loyalty.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I spent six days in the county jail once for refusing to snitch about stupid BS.

If somebody's rights/welfare were on the line, I'd snitch without hesitation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Snitches get Stitches
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#37]
If I saw someone stealing from you, would you want me to report it?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I wish someone snitched on the 9/11 hijackers during their train up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Example.  

I see a corner drug dealer dressed mostly in blue murdered by a car load of guys wearing red. Does it make me a hero to go to court and make myself a potential target for retaliation by testifying in the murder trial of a scumbag? Does it make me immoral to say I saw nothing in the interest of self preservation?

Now replace blue clad drug dealer with a 10 year old child caught in the crossfire and ask the same questions.

Nothing is black and white.
View Quote
Okay. Now consider if you were a police officer. (A hero) would you have the same answers to both questions?
One mans snitch is another mans hero.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Do it out of hatred.

Did I call the cops and report the abandoned vehicle with expired tags?

Yes I did.
View Quote
Hatred is the purest human emotion. 

It never fades or causes you to hide your true self, like love does. It doesn't distract like love, but instead provides clarity and purpose when focused correctly. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Knee cap him with a length of steel pipe.  Do a better job at it than Tonya Harding
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I feel as if we just had this conversation
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel as if we just had this conversation
lol. Yeah.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Okay. Now consider if you were a police officer. (A hero) would you have the same answers to both questions?
One mans snitch is another mans hero.
View Quote
I didn't swear any oaths to uphold the law and don't draw pay and benefits for doing so. A police office did and does.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I owe OP no loyalty.
View Quote
I would still buy you a beer !
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Never conduct your life in a manner that gives someone else the power to destroy you by dropping a dime on you.

View Quote
It is completely and utterly impossible to conduct your life in such a manner that no one can ever snitch on you for anything at all.

Only a complete fool would think so.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It is completely and utterly impossible to conduct your life in such a manner that no one can ever snitch on you for anything at all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And only fool would miss the phrase "to destroy you."

If you are acting in a manner that gives someone else the power to DESTROY YOUR LIFE by dropping a dime on you, you are a complete fool, and deserve what you have coming.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Safety, criminality, theft, waste, fraud, abuse, etc, shall always be reported.

Kharn
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top