Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:12:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was good.  If I ignore the extremely bad science... it had a great story. Very remenicent of 2001 in terms of theme.
View Quote

The only bad science I could pick out is the ridiculous delta v they had to get back into orbit, yet were complaining about not enough at other times.

As for the black hole, well we don't really know what is going on. Current theories are: Entire Universe inside, Complete destruction of Universal Laws, Higher Dimensions. Hawking posits that since information shouldn't be able to be destroyed, either it literally collects all past information or it is a bridge to another dimension or multiverse.

I enjoyed the movie, great visuals and shot framing, excellent music and sound(So thrilled that there was no sound when the camera was out in space, unlike the science abomination Gravity). I could see cutting out some of the slower Earth scenes but I believe they were there to reinforce the "Love is transcendent" theme. So it worked for me.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I thought Avatar was THIS generations Avatar...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The reviewers I trust have said it's pretty stupid, but entertaining.

That, to me, means waiting till it comes out on video, I have beer, and my standards aren't so high.

I think Nolan makes very pretty movies that cover up a lot of fundamental flaws, and this one seems to be that sort of film.

Holy shit! Dont wait for video. Get thee to the nearest true IMAX and see it. This is this generation's Avatar or 2001. It must be seen on a big ass screen. Worth it for the beautiful visuals alone!

I couldn't even sit through half of that.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I see it rather similarly.  I rarely go to the cinema as a consequence.  The last couple of years almost everything that has shown on a wide scale looks to be crap, or at best uninteresting to me.  No sense in paying a lot of money (especially if I want popcorn or a drink) for that sort of thing.  It needs to be worth it.  That said, this looks like it just might be enjoyable enough for me to be worth it if I can spare the cash.  Still on the fence about it, though.

I do wonder if there are differences between the IMAX cinemas.  I remember when I had to go to Los Angeles to see something in IMAX (back when they mainly showed documentaries) and the screen seemed huge compared to the local IMAX screens.  They used to show videos ahead of the main feature to demonstrate the effect such a huge screen could have on perception, such as a video of flight, that made you feel like your guts were moving just as if you were actually making those maneuvers.  I don't get that from the local IMAX screens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMAX here cost $13

It's $16 here, and I see movies with my wife or daughter. That assumes we eat nothing, and I'm over $30 just to sit there.

Again, it looks like an entertaining movie, but already the reviews coming in talk of the cheese, goofy science and worn-out tropes. I can do better for my entertainment dollar, that's all.

I'll see it, may even like it, but it'll be cheap when I do.

I see it rather similarly.  I rarely go to the cinema as a consequence.  The last couple of years almost everything that has shown on a wide scale looks to be crap, or at best uninteresting to me.  No sense in paying a lot of money (especially if I want popcorn or a drink) for that sort of thing.  It needs to be worth it.  That said, this looks like it just might be enjoyable enough for me to be worth it if I can spare the cash.  Still on the fence about it, though.

I do wonder if there are differences between the IMAX cinemas.  I remember when I had to go to Los Angeles to see something in IMAX (back when they mainly showed documentaries) and the screen seemed huge compared to the local IMAX screens.  They used to show videos ahead of the main feature to demonstrate the effect such a huge screen could have on perception, such as a video of flight, that made you feel like your guts were moving just as if you were actually making those maneuvers.  I don't get that from the local IMAX screens.

35mm IMAX VS 70mm IMAX is the difference I think. Kennedy Space Center had a 70mm in the 90's as did the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That, to me, means waiting till it comes out on video, I have beer, and my standards aren't so high.

I think Nolan makes very pretty movies that cover up a lot of fundamental flaws, and this one seems to be that sort of film.

Holy shit! Dont wait for video. Get thee to the nearest true IMAX and see it. This is this generation's Avatar or 2001. It must be seen on a big ass screen. Worth it for the beautiful visuals alone!

No shit, it was a remake of fern gully with some eye candy background.

The only thing it did was enhance filming concepts.

Though, it's not like it was a huge industry changer...  3D's been regulated to a few conversions and Pixar films...

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now I'm torn.

I love 2001 watch it often and 2010

But avatar scores a 0 out of 10 for me it's a shit kids film where everybody bought into the hype and then were scared to admit it was shit when they watched it. Forgetting the left wing liberal stance it took it was just pretty colours and child like writing. I am not articulate enough to write well hiw bad it sucked.

So do I go and watch interstellar tonight or not?  

I'm verging on not if its recomended by somebody who likes avatar.

Ps gravity also sucked but it looked good.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:40:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Though, it's not like it was a huge industry changer...  3D's been regulated to a few conversions and Pixar films...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, a large segment of society have stereo vision problems that are exacerbated when watching a true 3D movie . 3D works great for those of us that don't.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yeah, a large segment of society have stereo vision problems that are exacerbated when watching a true 3D movie . 3D works great for those of us that don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Yea, Avatar blew my mind, and I was hoping that it would set the bar...

Next few 3d movies that came out...  disappointment city.  

Plus with the current tech glasses everything is dark as hell.  I.E. live action movies that are filmed for normal film then 3d converted...
I think the Pixar movies do well in 3d because it's easier to animate for 3d than film, and they are already normally very brightly done, so it's not as extreme with the glasses.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Me and the dragon lady watched it last night. Excellent movie and I didn't get any libtard vibe from it at all.

Also, don't listen to the hippy "I'm trying too hard to be edgy" critics giving this film a bad review. IMDb is giving it a 9.2 out of 10.

Go watch it. Preferably in IMAX.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#9]
So those that have watched it.

I'm getting a sentimental chick flick vibe from reading about reviews talking about feelings and leaving us daughter and her growing up and what she feels,

Feelings of but hurt  chicks have no place in space films. Ok a minute but move the fuck on.

Is it over done or ok. I'm not sitting through three hours of fucking feelings.

For example sunshine got this right, one short clip of one member sending a message to his family. We are intelligent enough to work out what is involved in a mission like this I don't want sentimental over load.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm getting a sentimental chick flick vibe from reading about reviews talking about feelings and leaving us daughter and her growing up and what she feels,

Feelings of but hurt  chicks have no place in space films. Ok a minute but move the fuck on.

For example sunshine got this right, one short clip of one member sending a message to his family. We are intelligent enough to work out what is involved in a mission like this I don't want sentimental over load.
View Quote

I hate chick flicks. It has some emotional elements of dad leaving his children behind but nothing over the top.

If you dig sciencey films go watch it you wont regret it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
*sigh*  The earth needing to be abandoned for reasons has been a vehicle for sci-fi stories since before environmentalism was even a thing...
View Quote

That's probably where the moonbats got the idea from.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Me and the dragon lady watched it last night. Excellent movie and I didn't get any libtard vibe from it at all.

Also, don't listen to the hippy "I'm trying too hard to be edgy" critics giving this film a bad review. IMDb is giving it a 9.2 out of 10.

Go watch it. Preferably in IMAX.

View Quote

It hasn't gotten any "bad" reviews, just some people who contrasted its good with its bad...and that's not an edgy critic but one doing his job. Few films are perfect, I'm sure like every Nolan film this one ain't either.

Hell, the first 3 or 4 reviews I read on the film were from geek sites (Nerdist, etc.) and they're more apt to squee about it than anyone else and even they found things to dislike.

I actually listen to critics, because I'm much like them. I'm not trying to be snobby, I just have high expectations of film because I've seen a lot of good and anymore the bad is tiresome and original or interesting movies are far and between.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Saw it last night, enjoyed it immensely.  It got pretty dusty in there at times.  I could think of a couple of plot and science flaws, but I'm more apt to overlook things like that when I like a movie.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Right now I'm torn.

But avatar scores a 0 out of 10 for me it's a shit kids film where everybody bought into the hype and then were scared to admit it was shit when they watched it. Forgetting the left wing liberal stance it took it was just pretty colours and child like writing. I am not articulate enough to write well hiw bad it sucked.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now I'm torn.

I compared it to avatar in so much as it's a film that must be seen on the biggest screen around. I'll buy it on bluray, but I'm going to see it in theaters several more times for sure.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks awesome!
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#16]
We saw it. I thought it was a pretty decent movie.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Great movie! me and my wife really enjoyed it
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
The more I think about it, even at damn near 3 hours they had to cut too much stuff out.

I think they should have made into 2 movies, or even a trilogy.  Then they could have really fleshed out some of the "how did Earth get so fucked up" stuff. the "sci-fi geek" stuff, and the "whats going on on Earth for all these lost years" stuff.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#19]

I know it has a PG-13 rating, but for those that have seen it, what's in it that makes it inappropriate to take your kids to it?   Is there a lot of strong language, or adult sexual situations?  Is there gratuitous violence, or gore?  Or, is it just intense action that gives it the PG-13 rating?

I'm thinking about taking the wife and kids to see it tomorrow.  

(use spoiler function if you need to--PS I don't mind if you spoil the movie for me)

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think they said fuck once or twice.

There's not much violence and no sex or anything.
View Quote

I only heard it once and it was very well deserved. Overall very clean film.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We saw it. I thought it was a pretty decent movie.
View Quote

This afternoon in fact.
I didn't get the eco-vibe from it. Just a blight that was evolving and killing the crops.
It has the standard drama crap that comes from hollywood. Smae as with Apollo 13. Stuff that real professionals would never do.
Same with some of the "decisions" the crew made.
But all in all, I don't feel cheated for seeing it.
Great visuals but WTF loud! The sound track should never overpower the movie.

ETA: No reason to keep kids away but it is three hours long. Decide accordingly.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I hate chick flicks. It has some emotional elements of dad leaving his children behind but nothing over the top.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SPOILER EDIT

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It wasn't so much the dad leaving his kids behind that was the worst. It got awfully dusty when he made it back, and his daughter was an old, old woman on her deathbed with all of her kids and grandkids at her side. Her father was a stranger to these people and he was out of place. I got the distinct feeling that he was NOT welcome there. Very emotional and strange.

my biggest WTF was, why in the fuck do you even consider a planet next to a black hole?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't so much the dad leaving his kids behind that was the worst. It got awfully dusty when he made it back, and his daughter was an old, old woman on her deathbed with all of her kids and grandkids at her side. Her father was a stranger to these people and he was out of place. I got the distinct feeling that he was NOT welcome there. Very emotional and strange.

my biggest WTF was, why in the fuck do you even consider a planet next to a black hole?

Spoiler tags dude
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I literally just left the theatre.  Great movie
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Just saw it and I thought it was awesome. Actually felt last keep me heart was in my throat most of the movie.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Murdoc what in the flying fuck dude !??!!???

I am REALLY looking forward tk seeing this movie and you basically just either ruined the ending or screwed up the surprise of a good chunk of the plot......

Seriously dude, that sucked...
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I know it has a PG-13 rating, but for those that have seen it, what's in it that makes it inappropriate to take your kids to it?   Is there a lot of strong language, or adult sexual situations?  Is there gratuitous violence, or gore?  Or, is it just intense action that gives it the PG-13 rating?

I'm thinking about taking the wife and kids to see it tomorrow.  

(use spoiler function if you need to--PS I don't mind if you spoil the movie for me)

Thanks.
View Quote

I just can't recall anything that would make it inappropriate for children.

If anything, the film may strike a sharper chord with parents than children.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, thats true. What was the name of that old movie where they all take off in a fancy spaceship because the earth is going to be destroyed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
*sigh*  The earth needing to be abandoned for reasons has been a vehicle for sci-fi stories since before environmentalism was even a thing...

Yeah, thats true. What was the name of that old movie where they all take off in a fancy spaceship because the earth is going to be destroyed?

When Worlds Collide  I have it on DVD.  I've thought about seeing Interstellar.  

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry dude, other posters have been giving away plot spoilers too. Deal with it. Suggest to the mods that they put a spoiler alert in the title.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Pretty good!  Amazing visuals and great sequences like the docking-centrifuging scene.  The pacing was a little clunky in parts like when they intercut with the earth scenes.
Overall, I found it kinda strange, sorta like watching Noah.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sorry dude, other posters have been giving away plot spoilers too. Deal with it. Suggest to the mods that they put a spoiler alert in the title.
View Quote

Or you could eschew inconsiderate douche baggery
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Right now I'm torn.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now I'm torn.

"Avatar" was "Pocahontas,  dances with wolves, in fern gully". Utter shite for story telling. They even called the mineral unobtanium. Come on!
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Murdoc what in the flying fuck dude !??!!???

I am REALLY looking forward tk seeing this movie and you basically just either ruined the ending or screwed up the surprise of a good chunk of the plot......

Seriously dude, that sucked...
View Quote

Ehh... you sure you're not confusing me wjoutlaw? What I posted was in the movie trailer.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry guys, I need to put the whiskey away, I'm pretty sure  I've had enough.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Saw it .... My summary: Its a sci fi love story between a father and his children. I aint going to lie, couple of scenes had me teary eyed.

Great visuals, soundtrack and the pace was good. The movie kept you engaged all  3hrs.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:15:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Wow. Just wow.

Nolan is operating on a completely different level than pretty much any other director these days.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Saw it this afternoon in IMAX.

I really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:30:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Liked it
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:30:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Great movie, I liked it a lot. I don't understand the 5th dimension thing though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:15:58 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Sorry guys, I need to put the whiskey away, I'm pretty sure  I've had enough.
View Quote

How about editing your post while you're at it?  Seriously.  I'm glad I already saw the movie.

In case he doesn't edit, could someone who's already posted farther up the page put a giant "Stop Reading" notice in your post?

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:21:56 AM EDT
[#43]
meh, it was ok at best... nolan is way to into himself, way to into his own 'i'm smart look at what i can come up with...' too fucking long and not enough happening... worth a watch, but i could've waited for dvd
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:38:47 AM EDT
[#44]
What the heck is wrong with Lacey Chabert?

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:49:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't this generations Avatar be... Avatar?
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:28:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know what I mean! It was a film you had to experience in the theater.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:35:54 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The only bad science I could pick out is the ridiculous delta v they had to get back into orbit, yet were complaining about not enough at other times.
As for the black hole, well we don't really know what is going on. Current theories are: Entire Universe inside, Complete destruction of Universal Laws, Higher Dimensions. Hawking posits that since information shouldn't be able to be destroyed, either it literally collects all past information or it is a bridge to another dimension or multiverse.
I enjoyed the movie, great visuals and shot framing, excellent music and sound(So thrilled that there was no sound when the camera was out in space, unlike the science abomination Gravity). I could see cutting out some of the slower Earth scenes but I believe they were there to reinforce the "Love is transcendent" theme. So it worked for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was good.  If I ignore the extremely bad science... it had a great story. Very remenicent of 2001 in terms of theme.

I personally think black hole is stupid. I am in the camp that black hole does not exist. Lots of great scientist like Einstein does not believe in black hole. Since the discovery of the firewall paradox the foremost expert on black hole Stephen Hawking does not believe in them anymore. Can you imagine spending your entire life on one subject and now near the end it is clear you got everything wrong.
Laura Mersini-Houghton and Herald P. Pfeiffer are part of a long list of scientists showing Black Hole doesn't exist. This time with mathematical proof.
Black Hole is a desperate attempt to try to prove the Big Bang Theory is correct. One bad theory lead to another and the result is countless years lost.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#48]
It was visually interesting.  The acting was decent.  The details such as sound in space, and docking maneuvers, were decent.

But the person who pointed out that Nolan needed a copy of KSP before he wrote the script was dead on.  The delta-v issues were massive holes in the plot, and on top of that the whole concept of rushing from point A to point B in space while pulling off a literal version of the Kessel Run was not just scientifically shitty, but disappointing from a plot/pacing/audience perspective of building appropriate drama.

I was sincerely hoping for a movie like Inception, that manages to keep building tension and complexity to the plot without getting impossibly hard to follow or seeming contrived.  I'm not much of one to try to peer ahead and guess the ending halfway through the movie, but it was pretty obvious what was going to happen to anyone with a background in science fiction.  I truly felt this wasn't up to Nolan's previous skill at weaving a truly epic storyline together.

And apparently I'm alone in being disappointed by Zimmer's soundtrack.  I'm a huge fan of tons of his scores: Crimson Tide, Inception, Batman, Broken Arrow, etc.  This was the first time that I felt cheated out of a true movie score worthy of the film itself.  The main theme was mediocre at best, and there wasn't much beyond it.  Contrasted to Inception or The Dark Knight, a large portion of the drama that should have been present, simply wasn't - because the score needed to drive those emotions was conspicuously absent or bland.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I personally think black hole is stupid. I am in the camp that black hole does not exist. Lots of great scientist like Einstein does not believe in black hole. Since the discovery of the firewall paradox the foremost expert on black hole Stephen Hawking does not believe in them anymore. Can you imagine spending your entire life on one subject and now near the end it is clear you got everything wrong.

Laura Mersini-Houghton and Herald P. Pfeiffer are part of a long list of scientists showing Black Hole doesn't exist. This time with mathematical proof.

Black Hole is a desperate attempt to try to prove the Big Bang Theory is correct. One bad theory lead to another and the result is countless years lost.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#50]
I saw it last night with my teenage son and we both really enjoyed it.  It was one of the finest examples I've seen of literary SF---classic literary SF--translated to film.  It was very well done and if you want to see more intelligent, thoughtful SF movies, you should go support this one.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top