Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Meditation if that doesn't work try masturbation.  I've heard that those sensory deprivation tanks work pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm out almost immediately and it takes an air horn to wake me up long enough to hit the snooze button and go back to sleep before I'm conscious enough to know what just happened.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I sleep like shit.  Ambien is your friend.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a great alternative to drinking alcohol for sleep, but I think the CoC prevents me from recommending it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]

I can fall asleep pretty easily at night. I sleep great for about the first 5-6 hours then don't sleep worth a shit after that. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night for several hours then manage to doze for a few more.
Seems to get worse the older I get.
Sometimes after very physical exercise in the evening I sleep better.
Drinking too much like on a Saturday night makes it even harder to get a good nights sleep.
Getting old sucks for sleeping well.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been at that point of not being able to fall asleep because my mind was racing. It was due to stress and me not liking my job at all. Lived like that for the better part of 8 years in 3 different jobs.

I took a position with an old employer but in a different capacity and enjoy it a bunch. There is really no stress on many a day, I just show up and work. Pay is damn near equal to the previous positions also. Enjoying life much more nowadays...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have some crazy dreams but thats as far as its gone so far.  Shit works yo.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Could you expound on this please?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm having a hard time with my stress level due to work bs but I have no problems going to sleep. My problem is my 3 yr old still wakes up in the mid morning hours and the only way we get him back asleep is in our bed. Problem with that is he's often restless, I'm a lite sleeper so I don't sleep well after that. Some nights I go go to a spare bed to get my last few hours.

I'd say it's nothing much to worry about but watch the alcohol, if you need that to go to sleep you could have a problem. Not to sound all hippy, beta-male and all but the introduction of a nebulizer and pure essential oils have helped me to relax. On top of that, many oils have theraputic qualities and simply smell nice. YMMV
Could you expound on this please?

I'm mobile do linking is a no-go right now. Look up the 'Aroma Ace' nebulizer which takes essential oils and breaks them down into fine particles to release into the air. Ever been to a nice spa and picked up scents of something? Likely it was essential oils and while a lot of it is hippy BS; there's some scientific research that validates mood modification. Once you get used to the scent of essential oils, chemical air fresheners wll turn your stomach.

Look at AromaWeb.com

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Like shit.  For years I would self medicate by taking booze and other various sleep supplements, which would help me get 8 hours, but for my health I've been trying to sleep naturally recently.  

This means I lay in bed in the dark for an hour, pass out for 3 hours wake up and go back to sleep for another 1-2 hours.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Like shit.  For years I would self medicate by taking booze and other various sleep supplements, which would help me get 8 hours, but for my health I've been trying to sleep naturally recently.  

This means I lay in bed in the dark for an hour, pass out for 3 hours wake up and go back to sleep for another 1-2 hours.
View Quote

I slept good last night.  After 3 fingers.  Looking for that same result tonight.  Plus I'm watching the Royals.  That can't end well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:57:38 AM EDT
[#12]
It's almost 4 AM here and I'm screwin' around in GD like I have nothing better to do. Now, knowing that, how well do you think I sleep these days?

I've been an night owl all my life and I guess I'll remain one until somebody lays my body in a grave somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:59:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Lunesta is very mild and cure the problem you have.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:24:44 AM EDT
[#14]
... I'm posting now. What's that tell you?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:26:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I can get to bed pretty easily in bed between 10-11 during the week and sleeping within 10 minutes usually.  Only thing is I gotta have a fan or some noise going, or else I'll just lay there and think.
View Quote
I gotta have music playing.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:39:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't slept well in about 30 years.

Tried working my ass off at home, drinking, relaxing, OTC PM meds, sex and nothing works well for me.

I guess I'll catch up on my sleep when I die.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#17]
sleep on the couch if you have to or wherever it is you say you get sleepy, sometimes I sleep better there

I love to sleep and probably oversleep. Brian just shuts up and most days I don't stir until the alarm clock goes off.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll ask again, what is your caffeine intake like?  I sleep very well but I cannot drink caffeine after about 11 am or exercise after 4 pm without it affecting my sleep.  As a result I don't do those things.  Even just a soda with lunch and I feel it that night.  I can't explain it and people swear it shouldn't impact sleep, but it does for me.  I am wound pretty tight but if I don't do these things, I will be asleep within 30 seconds of my head hitting the pillow.

Keep a log and eliminate one by one the things that may impact your sleep for a few nights.  You will likely find something that you are doing to yourself without realizing the impact.

Also keep a good work log.  If you have all of your work items written down in a backlog, you don't have to continuously review it in your mind and can let go a little more easily.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's a pain in the ass to fall asleep. I get these weird heart attack feelings right as I'm falling asleep and they jolt me awake. Get about 10 of those before I can actually fall asleep. All in all, it takes me about 45 minutes regardless of how tired I am.

Wish It didn't take so long.
View Quote

Ever had a sleep study done? If not might be something to think about.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I started wearing ear plugs back in July, and since then I have slept like a drunken teenager.
I don't hear my wife snoring, the dog snoring, the furnace running, the thermostat clicking.
Pure, glorious silence.  Except for the tinnitus.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Stress. My sleep went to hell the more responsibility I had when working. Now that I'm retired it is better but with age sleep gets screwed up anyway.

The only time I ever had perfect laying in the bed after a great nights sleep like I did when I was a kid, was after some IV Demerol. It lasted for two days.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll ask again, what is your caffeine intake like?  I sleep very well but I cannot drink caffeine after about 11 am or exercise after 4 pm without it affecting my sleep.  As a result I don't do those things.  Even just a soda with lunch and I feel it that night.  I can't explain it and people swear it shouldn't impact sleep, but it does for me.  I am wound pretty tight but if I don't do these things, I will be asleep within 30 seconds of my head hitting the pillow.

Keep a log and eliminate one by one the things that may impact your sleep for a few nights.  You will likely find something that you are doing to yourself without realizing the impact.

Also keep a good work log.  If you have all of your work items written down in a backlog, you don't have to continuously review it in your mind and can let go a little more easily.
View Quote

I drink 2 20oz cups of coffee in the morning.  No caffeine after that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I get 4 hours a night whether I need it or not.

(Business owner as well.  I'm a GC)

This is getting really old.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm a small business owner.  Between my wife and I, we own 3 small businesses.  I have a very difficult time falling asleep.  Sometimes I will lay there for over an hour before I fall asleep or decide to just get up and do something else.  Recently I have found that if I drink about 3 fingers of whiskey, about an hour before bed, that I can sleep fairly well.  It seems unhealthy though.  My daily life is pretty stressful, but in the evenings I find myself just about falling asleep.  When I get up and go to be I get a million ideas running through my head that I can't stop.  

Is this normal?  How do I stop it?  Should I just drink more?

FYI...My wife falls asleep within 2 minutes of being in bed.  I don't understand how she just shuts things down......How do I do this?
View Quote

I'm not a small business owner (LEO) but you just described my sleep life exactly.

I am going to a sleep doctor to figure it out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I have the some damn problem! Wife and I hop in bed she is out like a light within 2 damn minutes, meanwhile I'm staring at the fucking cieling trying to get tired. I don't get it I will be exhausted right until I lay in bed then I'm wide awake!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I sleep like a log, and nothing wakes me up once I'm asleep. I would sleep through WWIII.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Welcome to 3rd shift where sleep is pretty much absent.

Seriously though, maybe try Melatonin.
View Quote
This is better than booze. Somewhat natural. Can give you some great dreams, too.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#28]
She sleeps because she trusts you. You have a hard time because your mind doesn't want to stop. I would take up something like gardening or evening exercise so that you can be physically stimulated but still have time to mentally reflect and think about the "stuff" you need to think about. When you go to bed your mind will relax because you have done all the reflecting and thinking you needed to. You will sleep the sleep of the "just"

Or get blind stinking drunk and shut that mind down early

Second thought that one has bad consequence... Good luck
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#29]
The good news: I can relate to your situation.

The bad news: I think we're both alcoholics with manic racing thoughts!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I slept good last night.  After 3 fingers.  Looking for that same result tonight.  Plus I'm watching the Royals.  That can't end well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm the same way.

Just two businesses on my mind tho

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Try one Benadryl.  Supposed to allow normal brain function while sleeping.  Other methods screw with your natural functions preventing recuperative sleep.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#32]
I sleep like the dead.
No pills needed.
I lie down and fall asleep with in a minute or two.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Last night was a rough one. I woke up with a massive headache and feel like I want to vomit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Last night was a rough one. I woke up with a massive headache and feel like I want to vomit.
View Quote

Ebola
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ebola
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ebola

Crossed my mind.

Actually, it is sinus. If I would have got out of bed 1/2 sooner it would not have happened. I have been told I have no allergies at all, but I don't believe it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#36]
I listen to muscular relaxation CD's (iPod) on nights that I struggle to sleep. It works fairly well for me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Try ambien.  It's amazingly effective.
View Quote

Klonipin @1mg has been far more effective in long term problems with sleep than any of the actual sleeping pills.

But my sleeping problems are from severe neurological disease, not stress.  So your results may vary.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#38]
I have to fall asleep watching tv before going to bed.   It's the only way to sit down my mind enough to fall asleep.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll ask again, what is your caffeine intake like? .

try cutting down on your caffeine intake
40 oz of coffee would be nothing to some people
but that much coffee would keep me up for 3 days
my morning coffee intake is about 10 oz and even then I sometimes have trouble going to sleep

keep in mind that people change
I didnt always have this problem
I used to drink energy drinks and tons of coffee and soda and now I cant handle any of it

try cutting back a little or even going 50/50 decaf... sometimes its more psychological than physical on the "need" for coffee
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I sleep like the dead.

No pills needed.

I lie down and fall asleep with in a minute or two.
View Quote

I would love to be able to do this.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

my morning coffee intake is about 10 oz and even then I sometimes have trouble going to sleep

I used to drink energy drinks and tons of coffee and soda and now I cant handle any of it

try cutting back a little or even going 50/50 decaf... sometimes its more psychological than physical on the "need" for coffee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Caffeine has a long half-life.  I don't drink any except what I get in de-caf coffee, chocolate, etc.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I sleep like a champ except when it gets interrupted by calls on nights I'm on shift.

I'm usually out within 5-10 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Most nights it takes me hours to fall asleep. I have tried many different things but nothing seams to help.  I can not turn off the brain.  I do own a small restaurant and I go from one problem to the next problem in my head. To top it off I wake up hours before in need to. This has gone on for years. Other then that I am healthy and get through the day just fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

+1

Caffeine has a long half-life.  I don't drink any except what I get in de-caf coffee, chocolate, etc.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I'll cut the coffee back.  I used to do 2 20 oz cups and then a monster in the afternoon.  My heart didn't explode.....Suprisingly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Try one Benadryl.  Supposed to allow normal brain function while sleeping.  
View Quote

I've always been told that benadryl doesn't let you get into the deepest part of sleep.

I know when I use it I never feel refreshed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have the exact same problem as you.  Can fall asleep on the couch, but when I hit the bed I become wide awake. Very frustrating.  Like your's, my wife falls asleep almost instantly.
View Quote

Ditto

Maybe 4 hours sleep per night
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm a small business owner.  Between my wife and I, we own 3 small businesses.  I have a very difficult time falling asleep.  Sometimes I will lay there for over an hour before I fall asleep or decide to just get up and do something else.  Recently I have found that if I drink about 3 fingers of whiskey, about an hour before bed, that I can sleep fairly well.  It seems unhealthy though.  My daily life is pretty stressful, but in the evenings I find myself just about falling asleep.  When I get up and go to be I get a million ideas running through my head that I can't stop.  

FYI...My wife falls asleep within 2 minutes of being in bed.  I don't understand how she just shuts things down......How do I do this?
View Quote

Last week I saw 2am roll around at least three nights. I'm usually in bed by 11pm.  I can't understand why, I'm not overly stressed, don't have anything on my mind all that often and don't really have a problem shutting off my brain.  I just lay there in a state of half sleep for hours some nights.  I tried drinking before bed too and it works but I noticed the longer I did it the more it took and that even though I was sleeping I didn't feel like I'd had a good nights sleep the next morning.  

I don't know what to tell you but I don't recommend drinking more.  You don't smoke do you?  They say that can cause problems sleeping.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Last week I saw 2am roll around at least three nights. I'm usually in bed by 11pm.  I can't understand why, I'm not overly stressed, don't have anything on my mind all that often and don't really have a problem shutting off my brain.  I just lay there in a state of half sleep for hours some nights.  I tried drinking before bed too and it works but I noticed the longer I did it the more it took and that even though I was sleeping I didn't feel like I'd had a good nights sleep the next morning.  

I don't know what to tell you but I don't recommend drinking more.  You don't smoke do you?  They say that can cause problems sleeping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  Don't smoke.  I do use a little Camel Snus once in a while though.  That might be part of it.  I quit chewing for a couple years and don't remember if I had problems then.  Picked this back up about a year ago and maybe it's having some effect.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm a small business owner, don't really have a problem going to sleep, its staying asleep that is my problem. I average 4-5hours a night with waking up during the night 3-4 times a week.

If I'm home for any reason around 2:00 in the afternoon, its mandatory nap time
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Down a shot, Rub one out then ask your wife how her family's doing.  You'll be out in 38 seconds.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top