Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/1/2014 11:09:59 PM EDT
I'm a small business owner.  Between my wife and I, we own 3 small businesses.  I have a very difficult time falling asleep.  Sometimes I will lay there for over an hour before I fall asleep or decide to just get up and do something else.  Recently I have found that if I drink about 3 fingers of whiskey, about an hour before bed, that I can sleep fairly well.  It seems unhealthy though.  My daily life is pretty stressful, but in the evenings I find myself just about falling asleep.  When I get up and go to be I get a million ideas running through my head that I can't stop.  

Is this normal?  How do I stop it?  Should I just drink more?

FYI...My wife falls asleep within 2 minutes of being in bed.  I don't understand how she just shuts things down......How do I do this?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Its not all that strange in my opinion I get stressed out at work and  it really hits me when I turn the lights out and close my eyes.  I may lay there for several hours before I go to sleep.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I can get to bed pretty easily in bed between 10-11 during the week and sleeping within 10 minutes usually.  Only thing is I gotta have a fan or some noise going, or else I'll just lay there and think.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm asleep within 5 minutes of laying down no matter what's going on in my life.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Like shit ever since Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Like crap at night, however I do sleep great during the day when I'm napping instead of doing all the stuff I need to do.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#7]
4-5 times a week I fall asleep on the couch while watching tv before bed.  If I make it to the bed I'm out before I can start thinking about anything.

I go go go all day long and am always exhausted at bedtime that I always just go out quick.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the exact same problem as you.  Can fall asleep on the couch, but when I hit the bed I become wide awake. Very frustrating.  Like your's, my wife falls asleep almost instantly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm asleep within 5 minutes of laying down no matter what's going on in my life.
View Quote

That's why we can't be friends.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#10]
My bladder won't let me go for more than 6-7 hours anymore without making me get up.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Sleep naturally, I wish. The drinking though I would think is a form of self medicating. I did the exact same thing, and had to finally go see a Doc for advice. Now I am concerned about dependency on a pill for sleep. Not sure if I answered your query, but I feel your angst.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Like shit ever since Afghanistan birth.
View Quote

i can count maybe a dozen or so time in my life I've slept well and woke up feeling rested.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 3 week old daughter. I don't get solid nights of sleep..
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:19:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Read that alcohol is not good for sleep, actually.  Disrupts normal sleep once you fall asleep.

That being said, there are nights when I simply cannot sleep without it plus my usual cocktail which includes ambien.  

You should "practice healthy sleep habits," as they call it.  No electronics near you, very dark and cool room, and regular sleeping times.  Or just really medicate yourself, which works for me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is this normal?  How do I stop it?  Should I just drink more?
View Quote
Drinking disrupts sleep.

Try this OTC product, plus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxylamine.  Works for me very well.

Gets me asleep, keeps me asleep.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#17]
lately I've been having strange dreams... probably because I've been listening to my hometown police scanner online to help me sleep.

but things to consider
1) about an hour before you go to bed, step away from the TV and computer.  Read a book or just relax.  It'll help get your body prepared for sleep-mode.

2) Personally I like listening to meditation music (or the police scanner) to help me sleep.  find what works for you?  I also sometimes run a fan for white noise.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you had your Vit D checked?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Welcome to 3rd shift where sleep is pretty much absent.

Seriously though, maybe try Melatonin.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#20]
When I cut way way back on my drinking and replaced TV time with hiking and weight lifting time my sleep problems totally went away....
YMMV
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Classic type A / business owner,  just can't turn your brain off, I have the same problem it sucks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm having a hard time with my stress level due to work bs but I have no problems going to sleep. My problem is my 3 yr old still wakes up in the mid morning hours and the only way we get him back asleep is in our bed. Problem with that is he's often restless, I'm a lite sleeper so I don't sleep well after that. Some nights I go go to a spare bed to get my last few hours.

I'd say it's nothing much to worry about but watch the alcohol, if you need that to go to sleep you could have a problem. Not to sound all hippy, beta-male and all but the introduction of a nebulizer and pure essential oils have helped me to relax. On top of that, many oils have theraputic qualities and simply smell nice. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Try ambien.  It's amazingly effective.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I have done the same as you OP. I slowly convinced myself that whatever is bothering me, I can't do anything about it until the morning anyway. It sounds simple but it took a while to learn.

I still occasionally toss and turn but for the most part fall asleep within a half an hour.

I also think about fun things I want to do or projects/hobby stuff.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Read that alcohol is not good for sleep, actually.  Disrupts normal sleep once you fall asleep.

That being said, there are nights when I simply cannot sleep without it plus my usual cocktail which includes ambien.  

You should "practice healthy sleep habits," as they call it.  No electronics near you, very dark and cool room, and regular sleeping times.  Or just really medicate yourself, which works for me.
View Quote

Here's our normal sleeping habit....

My wife and I sleep very close, spooning one way or the other or sleeping on our backs and she's holding my hand with one leg over mine.  We have no sound, no light, the room is always about 68F and we usually go to bed about 2300.    We've got a pattern.  We've been married for 14 years(officially yesterday).  Great relationship, great kids, great life....I just can't shut my head down.  

I can go to bed and be tired, not have a worry in the world, and start thinking about one bad thing and have it tangent off into the worst of all the world has to offer.  Within fifteen minutes I can be trying to figure out how to save my wife and kids from "Taken 5".
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Like crap every night. Haven't slept well since I was in my early 20s.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Have you had your Vit D checked?
View Quote

No, but I'm out in the sun all day long.  Literally.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I'm having a hard time with my stress level due to work bs but I have no problems going to sleep. My problem is my 3 yr old still wakes up in the mid morning hours and the only way we get him back asleep is in our bed. Problem with that is he's often restless, I'm a lite sleeper so I don't sleep well after that. Some nights I go go to a spare bed to get my last few hours.

I'd say it's nothing much to worry about but watch the alcohol, if you need that to go to sleep you could have a problem. Not to sound all hippy, beta-male and all but the introduction of a nebulizer and pure essential oils have helped me to relax. On top of that, many oils have theraputic qualities and simply smell nice. YMMV
View Quote
Could you expound on this please?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I wish I had a good answer to this problem
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Wtf is sleep?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#31]
If you run (even a short distance like a couple miles) or do a light workout I bet you will sleep waaaaay better.

Maybe you already do that and then I don't know...maybe dial it up.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been like that for as long as I can remember, about to turn 50, give or take 30 minutes.  I read somewhere that you could give yourself a set time to "worry" about things.  Go to bed and focus on your breathing or try some background noise (waves, fan, etc.)
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Try ambien.  It's amazingly effective.
View Quote

I'm honestly not responsible enough for Ambien.  I'm opening a microbrewery/farm winery.  There is no room for that shit.  Trust me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#34]
lol no, drinking is definitely not the answer.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Congrats on your marriage
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#36]
It's a pain in the ass to fall asleep. I get these weird heart attack feelings right as I'm falling asleep and they jolt me awake. Get about 10 of those before I can actually fall asleep. All in all, it takes me about 45 minutes regardless of how tired I am.

Wish It didn't take so long.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My wife and I sleep very close, spooning one way or the other or sleeping on our backs and she's holding my hand with one leg over mine.  We have no sound, no light, the room is always about 68F and we usually go to bed about 2300.    We've got a pattern.  We've been married for 14 years(officially yesterday).  Great relationship, great kids, great life....I just can't shut my head down.  

I can go to bed and be tired, not have a worry in the world, and start thinking about one bad thing and have it tangent off into the worst of all the world has to offer.  Within fifteen minutes I can be trying to figure out how to save my wife and kids from "Taken 5".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I understand that.  Ambien and xanax are what shuts my brain off for sleep.  Either one would probably help, assuming you don't wan to do the other stuff people will suggest.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I can't sleep for shit either.

Melatonin helps, but leaves me groggy as fuck in the AM.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you run (even a short distance like a couple miles) or do a light workout I bet you will sleep waaaaay better.

View Quote

I am a big workout guy.  I normally run 2-4 miles, do  40-60 pullups, 70-100 pushups and 100-140 crunches, 5 days a week.  That's combined with a very physical work day  I can't figure out why I can't sleep.  I'm tired as hell most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Congrats on your marriage
View Quote

That part is a miracle.  I can't believe that she's made it this long.  Really.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Like crap at night, however I do sleep great during the day when I'm napping instead of doing all the stuff I need to do.
View Quote

This. I can fall asleep better while driving than in bed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I have the exact same problem as you.  Can fall asleep on the couch, but when I hit the bed I become wide awake. Very frustrating.  Like your's, my wife falls asleep almost instantly.
View Quote
Me, too. It sucks.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
lol no yezzz... drinking is definitely not the answer.
View Quote

Fixt...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I am a big workout guy.  I normally run 2-4 miles, do  40-60 pullups, 70-100 pushups and 100-140 crunches, 5 days a week.  That's combined with a very physical work day  I can't figure out why I can't sleep.  I'm tired as hell most of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit...I don't know what to say.  That and a beer or two (or the whiskey you referred to) would make me sleep GREAT.

I guess you have a lot on your mind with businesses going and etc.  When I have a lot on my mind related to work I take time to do what I call mental filing.  I contemplate a lot of shit.  I consider things, decide what's on my plate and what's concerning me, make some decisions, select things to deal with later, and kind of clear the slate so to speak.  I take time to do this while relaxed but not in bed.  When I feel comfortable with the process I call it good and hit the sack.  I always thought this was jut one of my idiosyncrasies but maybe something like this would be of value.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Have you tried white noise?  I run a small fan, been doing it for years, it helps me a lot.  How about showering before bed?

I worked at the fire department for three decades and I know shitty sleep.  The above have worked for me.

Oh and if I drink to excess, I wake up a LOT.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Alcohol is terrible as a sleep aid for the following reason:

1) Alcohol blocks the deeper stages 3 and 4 of sleep, and REM (rapid eye movement) sleep (dreaming).  These stages of sleep are the most restorative.

2) Until all the alcohol is metabolized, you will stay in stage 1 and 2 of sleep.  These stages have some restorative value but not like the stages above.  So while you may be asleep, the overall quality if sleep is degraded by alcohol.

3) Daily alcohol use can lead to tolerance and physical dependence.  More and more alcohol is needed to induce sleep.  This leads to progressively lesser amounts of the more restorative stages of sleep as it takes longer for the body to clear the ever increasing amounts of alcohol.  Daytime fatigue worsens and, depending on the amount consumed, other medical problems can develop.

Either no alcohol at bedtime or resolve yourself to never increase the amount.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#47]
The more I exercise, the better I sleep.

Booze, and I love it, will help you pass out, but the quality of sleep is poor if not nonexistent.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#48]
This will sound stupid, but...

Whenever a thought starts to pop into your head, interrupt it with a "no". It works.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Alcohol is terrible as a sleep aid for the following reason:

1) Alcohol blocks the deeper stages 3 and 4 of sleep, and REM (rapid eye movement) sleep (dreaming).  These stages of sleep are the most restorative.

2) Until all the alcohol is metabolized, you will stay in stage 1 and 2 of sleep.  These stages have some restorative value but not like the stages above.  So while you may be asleep, the overall quality if sleep is degraded by alcohol.

3) Daily alcohol use can lead to tolerance and physical dependence.  More and more alcohol is needed to induce sleep.  This leads to progressively lesser amounts of the more restorative stages of sleep as it takes longer for the body to clear the ever increasing amounts of alcohol.  Daytime fatigue worsens and, depending on the amount consumed, other medical problems can develop.

Either no alcohol at bedtime or resolve yourself to never increase the amount.

View Quote

I know...This is my concern.  More alcohol to sleep better=less quality sleep.  That doesn't work well for a guy that owns a winery and a brewery.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I wake up 30 times an hour.

(Average during a sleep apnea test)

I get my best sleep between 4-6am.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top