Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:53:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a much happier person than the O(fbho)bama voters that surround me.  That brings a smile to my face.  Also sometimes I poop twice in a day, that makes me happy too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:54:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

When people's main argument about net neutrality is "you just listen to too much Rush Limbaugh" how do you handle the complete inability to have a rational conversation?

How do you stay unjaded with the fact that 80 to 90% of the population are sheep that follow their political spirit animal, chanting herr derr lock step right down the toilet?

In the last few administrations we have happily put on our own shackles with the TSA, the 'department of the Internet', Obama care, The patriot act. ( don't try to tell me that stupid government is only on one side ) For what?

Why do people keep doing it? How can you possibly be hopeful about the future when everybody seems to have lost their mind?

/rant
View Quote

i have been self medicating with booze more often this year, that's how
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Drive by Truckers- Ghost to Most

This song sums up how recent times feel to me, pretty much.

Southern band, but I get it.  Northern plains people aren't much different from them when you get down to it.

What keeps me in it is I have a great group of friends and a pretty dark sense of humor.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:02:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm 54 and just got divorced a couple of years ago.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 57 years old.  When I was 40 I got divorced.  That invalidated many of my life plans, hopes, and dreams.

I decided that I'm in it for revenge - Not against anyone in particular, rather the whole world.  That made all the difference.

I'm 54 and just got divorced a couple of years ago.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I turn 54 on Monday and my divorce was finalized today.
I'm in.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:09:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm 60.  I am closer to the end than the beginning.  I have accepted that and will live the rest of my life in contentment and thankfulness.

I would not like to be a young person these days.
View Quote

I just hope the shit gets started before I am too old.  I want to leave my kids a better place to live.  Let me take the misery and strife.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:37:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I was just watching a special on the bataan death march where they were interviewing some of the survivors and they were talking about how they were forced to surrender not as individuals but as whole units, they all said if they knew what hell they we're going to go through they would have fought  to the last bullet. I choose not to march
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:42:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I go bowling.  That's how I zen out.  The future?  I don't worry about things I can't control.  I'll do what I gotta do.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:44:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I adopted a similar mindset when I was at my darkest point. I decided to keep going largely out of spite against everything that was weighing me down.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I decided that I'm in it for revenge - Not against anyone in particular, rather the whole world.  That made all the difference.
I adopted a similar mindset when I was at my darkest point. I decided to keep going largely out of spite against everything that was weighing me down.

You got it, Brother. Just put your head down and keep slogging on. Ain't nobody or nothing holding me up.
We love this shit; THIS is what we were made for.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:47:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't really fucking care.

I'm either working my ass off for money or pwning life on vacation.

Anyone tries to fuck with my life plan can do so at their own disaster.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:10:59 AM EDT
[#10]
2/10 rant nowhere near enough "fucks"
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:20:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:20:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I find avoiding GD helps keep my mood up.  But honestly this place is like a train wreck.  You don't want to look, but you just have to.
View Quote

Yeah. I have the same issue. I learned that reading in GD is like watching a bunch of fish swim around the tank. Let 'em be fish. They'll nip and act as fierce as they need to be in order to "survive." At the end of the day, none of their issues affect me in an adverse way.

I enjoy the entertainment, smart ass shenanigans, knoweledge, and perspective. Any thing past that? It's time to head over to the team forums, or a whole different forum entirely.

The whole god damn sky falls over here at Buzz Kill Inc. All it takes is one quoted statement from a politician and nothing better to bitch about. There's no sense in letting that bullshit eat me alive. I still love this place, but god damn.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Rush us on the wrong side of this issue by a mile. You may need a better example but I get your frustration.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:47:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead.  The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.  All war depends upon it." - Lieutenant Ronald Speirs

Seriously, I understand.  And the first thing you have to do is accept that humans are humans.  We overwhelmingly want the easy road, the comfy bed, the satisfying meal - and especially the lack of fear and worry that comes from attaining those things.  Most of us enjoy a pleasant walk over a murderous hike so don't judge.  The difference comes when you're asked to pay for that mildness with something of value - tangible things like fees and taxes or intangible things like individual choices and the right to be who you are.  Then you see some serious divisions - and there are a LOT of people who fall on the "Well, I wasn't really using those rights/dollars anyway, soooo...."

Don't hate them.  Don't get frustrated.  Accept that they are different than you and what's obvious to you isn't to them. In some cases, it's even threatening to their reality.

If you still want to talk, ask them why they support what they do.  When you hear things that are wrong ("Net neutrality was because Comcast throttled Netflix!"), ask if they knew their statement wasn't accurate and offer evidence (keep it simple - "Actually, Netflix's president acknowledged it was their network guys.  There never was any throttling.  It's on C-NET's website.").  You're undercutting a belief system so go gently or you'll meet knee-jerk resistance and they'll stop listening.  Just offer.  Don't attack the what, erode the why.  Do it well enough and the what will collapse under its own weight.

If the conversation goes any further and they don't just shut down, see if they recognize that they're selling your "something of value" as well as their own to gain something for themselves and see if they're okay with that.  Because that's what it comes down to.  My favorite line (though the conversations themselves are rarely successful) is, "If you feel uncomfortable asking me, right here and now, for money to pay for your 'x', why is it okay to have some third party take it from me against my will - so they can give it to you to pay for your 'x'?"  If they see it and simply don't care, nothing you ever say will persuade them because they're completely selfish.  But if they never saw it that way, get them to see it and they may come around on their own.  Wherever they go in the conversation, bring it back there without anger or judgement - "But you're still asking them to take it from me.  They want to do it anyway but you're giving them an excuse, because they're saying it's for you.  You're enabling them."

As others have said, this is the world.  It's foolish to despair.  Just fight the battles you can win, try not to stress over things you can't influence, enjoy your life while you have it, and think about how to circumvent the effect of things that are going badly.
View Quote

I would venture to guess that you are business owner, or involved with some kind of customer service/negotiations.

You laid out some very solid advice. I could sense some pretty serious experience when I read your post. I give that post two thumbs up. Posts like these are amoung the many number of things that bring me to this site daily.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:18:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Net neutrality doesn't take anything away from you. You pay by the pound just like always. You get the full pound
no matter what you decide to do with it. Simple idea. I pay my water bill. I can't be charged extra for washing cotton shirts instead of rayon.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top