Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#1]
You are asking two separate and unrelated questions. Terry Schiavo was a mercy killing. She was not on life support. No plug was pulled. She had basic necessities withheld from her against her will.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are asking two separate and unrelated questions. Terry Schiavo was a mercy killing. She was not on life support. No plug was pulled. She had basic necessities withheld from her against her will.
View Quote

When did she make her "will" clear?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The parents had no standing.  It should have been a non-issue.
View Quote

Correct. If I were doing the DNR and withdrawal, the parents would have no say.
We ran into a situation where a doctor was listening to input from the decision maker and some also some close family. Total cluster fuck because she didn't know the law.
( Flame suit on: We lost a whole person full of organs over that.)
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We ran into a situation where a doctor was listening to input from the decision maker and some also some close family. Total cluster fuck because she didn't know the law.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMGWTFBBQ...when you put organ donor on your ID card..the doc won't work hard enough to save you...because they want to get the organs!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We accept passive euthanasia...but not assisted euthanasia. And that is wrong.

When a soldier puts the anchor shot in the enemy rather than providing assistance...did he just murder someone? Yes

When someone decides how they want to die, who are you to tell them they can't do it a certain way they see fit? Right is right and wrong is wrong. "Want" isn't everything.

The right to life inherently means the right to death.  You can't have life without death. Oh come on you know that's BS. What does it even mean??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely not. Never.

It is murder, and murder is wrong. End of story.

This doesn't have to be complex.

We accept passive euthanasia...but not assisted euthanasia. And that is wrong.

When a soldier puts the anchor shot in the enemy rather than providing assistance...did he just murder someone? Yes

When someone decides how they want to die, who are you to tell them they can't do it a certain way they see fit? Right is right and wrong is wrong. "Want" isn't everything.

The right to life inherently means the right to death.  You can't have life without death. Oh come on you know that's BS. What does it even mean??
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this is EXACTLY why I refuse to be an organ donor. Doctors dealing with me in a life-and-death emergency will see me as a bag of potential donor organs instead of a human being worth saving. Hate to say it (and not every doctor is like that) but that's the way it works.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#7]
So far I've seen 4 or 5 people claim he beat her or tried to kill her and yet not a single one has produced anything to back that up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And this is EXACTLY why I refuse to be an organ donor. Doctors dealing with me in a life-and-death emergency will see me as a bag of potential donor organs instead of a human being worth saving. Hate to say it (and not every doctor is like that) but that's the way it works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first thing the doctor checks before working on you is your donor card.
If they see you are a donor, they immediately start the harvest.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

*shakes head*

No... that's NOT the way it works.  I hate to take away anybody's paranoia (because we all love to bask in the warm glow of our own assumptions), but NOBODY in the acute-care environment even thinks about parting-you-out for your organs.   That issue is not even on our radar.  

At all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*shakes head*

No... that's NOT the way it works.  I hate to take away anybody's paranoia (because we all love to bask in the warm glow of our own assumptions), but NOBODY in the acute-care environment even thinks about parting-you-out for your organs.   That issue is not even on our radar.  

At all.

No kidding.

That said I wouldn't mind seeing it where only organ donors are eligible to receive organs from the system.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know, but I came up with a very tasteless joke a little while back.  The only thing it was missing was my remembering of her name for the punch line.

I'm going to hell.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Major brain damage to the point that you will be permanently be a vegetable with no chance of ever regaining consciousness is perfectly fine with me as a line.  It was going to be impossible for her to have any quality of life, only quantity of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This does not look brain dead to me.  Husband already had a new girl and wanted the insurance money.  Parents offered divorce and he said "NO"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbNLchN3JQE

I like how he is giving all of the commands while the big shiny balloon that is moving where he's "telling her where to look" happens to be is out of frame.

This video shows she isn't brain dead as much as a video of sunflowers following the sun shows that they are conscious.

I guess my definition of brain dead differs then. Wether shes following a balloon or whatever it seems that there has to be some activity there for that to happen hence she isnt tottaly brain dead.
I dont disagree with pulling the plug on someone who is brain dead, no activity,no response to any stimuli,organs wont function,etc.
But I still contend that she had major brain damage and that changes the argument to wether people agree with mercy killing or not. That is a much more uncomfortable argument for most people so they console themselves with the brain dead excuse instead.

Major brain damage to the point that you will be permanently be a vegetable with no chance of ever regaining consciousness is perfectly fine with me as a line.  It was going to be impossible for her to have any quality of life, only quantity of it.

This argument is a two-edged sword.  If she's vegetative to the point where starving her to death isn't cruel, then quality of life isn't a consideration.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think anyone should die from starvation in a hospital. Dogs and death row inmates have easier deaths than being starved to death.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Keeping brain dead people on life support is idiotic and a monstrous burden on the healthcare system.  1) They are brain dead.  You are forcing the hospital to keep a sack of meat breathing when it would not be able to do so on its own, for no reason whatsoever other than clinging to your loved one.  2) It costs millions upon millions of dollars, and the rest of us end up subsidizing it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not at all how it works, but whatevs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't think anyone should die from starvation in a hospital. Dogs and death row inmates have easier deaths than being starved to death.
View Quote

Which is why I am perfectly fine with allowing Drs to administer a lethal dose in the case of total brain death.  Just give nature an assist.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No kidding.

That said I wouldn't mind seeing it where only organ donors are eligible to receive organs from the system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*shakes head*

At all.

No kidding.

Wow. Just wow.

So much for the Hippocratic oath I guess.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

*shakes head*

At all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*shakes head*

At all.

Maybe not for you, but I've heard enough stories and seen enough things to have my doubts. It most DEFINITELY plays a part in the doctor's advice for care.

And with the euthanasia stuff these days, the structures are in place for some pretty scary stuff. The medical world is the one arena that scares me more than the political.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wow. Just wow.

View Quote

I'm not a doctor.  I just don't see how people that refuse to be a part of the organ donation system should benefit from the organ donation system.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not a doctor.  I just don't see how people that refuse to be a part of the organ donation system should benefit from the organ donation system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow. Just wow.

Exactly. And that's scary.

So should only medical professionals get treatment at a hospital? Only auto workers get to buy cars? Only prior service members are protected by the military? Cops only respond to emergency calls from ex-cops? People donate organs because they want to help others, not because they expect its some kind of mutual back scratching club.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So should only medical professionals get treatment at a hospital? Only auto workers get to buy cars? Only prior service members are protected by the military? Cops only respond to emergency calls from ex-cops? People donate organs because they want to help others, not because they expect its some kind of mutual back scratching club.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow. Just wow.

Your analogies are bad and you should feel bad.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow. Just wow.

Quoted:
When smiling bandit and I are in agreement on a topic that should be a clue to anyone that has been here a while to take a step back and think hard about why they are taking a position opposite of the two of us.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Maybe not for you, but I've heard enough stories and seen enough things to have my doubts. It most DEFINITELY plays a part in the doctor's advice for care.

And with the euthanasia stuff these days, the structures are in place for some pretty scary stuff. The medical world is the one arena that scares me more than the political.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*shakes head*

At all.

Ya know, I'm not trying to abet any kind of tin-foil type stuff. Rather, my wife's step-father is a retired surgeon and he himself has suggested the whole tag-my-driver's-license as an organ-donor thing isn't necessary. An immediate family member can give permission at the point of your demise to harvest anything that the medical team will have already deemed viably useful

This, after they had given it the college-try.

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top