Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
They did remove a few that were just under the skin when I was there.  The doc said that most of them will work their way out.  I talked to him again, and there will be only 2-3 that will not work their way out because they are to deep, and they wont cause a problem.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went to shoot my 1917 Eddystone today at the range.  I shot 2 rounds through it with no problem.  I then loaded another round into the chamber and pulled the trigger.  What happened next, I thought would never happen to me. When I pulled the trigger and the gun blew up!!! I dropped the gun on the bench I was shooting off of.  I got up and my dad gave me a jacket to put on my face, to try to help stop the blood.  When I got to the hospital, my blue jacket was colored red.  The nurse did not want to take the jacket off my face, because she thought half my face got blown off.  They stopped the bleeding and I had to get a scan of my head, there is 20 pieces of metal in my face, and 6 will never come out.  I will post pics of the gun when I get it back form the police.

Since I have a 1917 Eddystone I am curious as to what caused the explosion.

This is relevant to my interests.

I'm glad you're okay.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#3]
And there's the turn. I fold the BS flag. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BS flag all up in this mother fucker.

Oh for fuck''s sake...  

If there were 20 pieces of metal freshly lodged in you head, would your first instinct be to post about it on a website a few hours after it happening?

The BS flag stands until proven otherwise.

TargetTarget has not changed from being an a$$ one bit during his exodus.

I would take 20 Dave_A's just to get rid of Target.

Bite your heathen tongue!  TT is simply a mild rash while Dave_A was a full blown case of ghonasiphaherpalaids and cancer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

OK...... I will no longer just wear my eyeglasses when shooting but will from now on also wear safety glasses.  Thanks for posting OP, I am converted.

Indeed. There is absolutely no reason not to wear nice safety glasses. I'm a big fan of my eye sight.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#6]
To the OP, glad youre ok.  I once saw some brass explode into a shooters face as he sat next to me.  He looked like he had red freckles all over his face.  later, we found out he was shooting reloads in his M1A and they had soft primers.

OP, do you remember what ammo you were shooting?
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They did remove a few that were just under the skin when I was there.  The doc said that most of them will work their way out.  I talked to him again, and there will be only 2-3 that will not work their way out because they are to deep, and they wont cause a problem.

10 years from now you will get a zit and when it pops a
little piece of metal will come out…

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I will only leave this pic up for a short time, I will probably take it off tomorrow morning, or later to night.  I am out of school and work for a couple of days.
http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh523/EnfieldMk1/Facebook/Gun%20explosion/face002.jpg

Sorry to hear this but I'm not getting how you said you lost so much blood?  Looks like a couple of scratches

I doubt they are cuts from shaving
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I always wear eyepro, but this thread is a great re-motivator.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I always wear eyepro, but this thread is a great re-motivator.

I had a .45 casing a week or two ago drop down the top of the safety glasses, just rolling by my eye and then burned my cheek!  I wasn't even shooting!  It was my son and I was sitting down on the bench behind him, I'm thinking hard hat and safety mask next time
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a very bad bloody nose(almost broke) from the firing pin coming out of the bolt.  I wish I had my vest to show you guys what it looked like when I got to the hospital.  I should be getting my gun from the police tomorrow.  Then I will post some pics of it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
damn, that sucks. i wish you a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yea I can, I was wearing safety glasses.  The one of the lenses is cracked, one of the supports got blow off, and there are a are notches in the right one, my dominate eye.

Edit, I have not found out what happened, I think it might have been over presser, but will find out in about 2 days, from the police.

First off, glad you didn't get hurt worse... Second, make this a psa for buying and wearing quality safety glasses.. Not just eye wear but safety glasses..  Eye wear that meets or exceeds ansi z87 for the technically correct crowd.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#14]
DAMN, ENFIELD1!  THAT WAS CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE!!!!

Good job on having eye pro...without it...you WOULD likely be blind.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn that sucks
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Since I was a kid I have hunted with .303's. To hear of one blowing up is quite uncommon to me. I would really like to find out the cause of the explosion.
Sounds like the OP is quite an Enfield guy, and I'm not familiar with the Eddystone units.
How often does the happen ?
Is it a quality issue or an amunition issue ?

I hope the OP heals proper.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad your ok
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Good reminder to wear eye protection (I don't always, but will now).  Glad your eye was safe!
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good reminder to wear eye protection (I don't always, but will now).  Glad your eye was safe!

+1

glad your ok OP,could have been alot worse
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Just remember you have metal in you if you ever get a MRI.    I have a piece of a hammer in my arm.  Shrapnel is never fun.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn. Glad you're ok OP.

My Mosins make me queasy thinking about them. All of the arsenal reworks, cut downs and war time short cuts and only the best conscript quality control "in Soviet Russia".

DP
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks.  Although painful it helps when you spread the word on something like this.  I suspect there's a handful of Eddystone owners that are thinking twice about the next range trip now and more than a handful re evaluating the use of shooting glasses.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's an idea.

Should the OP fail to provide some substantive proof that this incident is a contrivance, he should leave the site.

Should the OP deliver, the (various descriptors of well-documented heinous, unspeakable acts against firearms and demonstrated singular absence of the common sense God gave geese deleted) usual troll should leave the site.

But permanently, this time. Sure.

Meanwhile, OP - hope your eye heals okay.

Oh shut up.

You act so offended all the time, you must have the emotional well being of a pre-teen.

My post stands as submitted. If the irony of your own post was indeed ferritic, every magnet on Earth would be pointed at Canada.

In reading further on, I see it is business as usual: you originally made a callous and unsubstantiated accusation far outweighing the pseudo-apology you offered, once proven wrong.

I cannot help but note you took my original post as targeted immediately at you. While I profess that it specified no single member in name, I will commend you upon the excellent fit of the footwear you've chosen.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I hope you have a speedy recovery.

This is a good lesson to wear the safety glasses. Yes, they look dumb sometimes, but imagine if he didn't.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I bet it was a combination of a fucked up round and a cracked Eddystone receiver with a replacement JA barrel.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#27]
WOW,good thing you had glasses on.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn that sux OP

glad you are alright

Why is everyone freaking the fuck out the police have the rifle ?

over the years there has been 2 KB's at one of the local ranges

sheriff ended up taking the rifle both times because

as someone else said they had to do something with it after everyone left in the amberlamps

On the flip side both guys played hell trying to get a worthless blown up rifle back from the SO and in both cases just gave up

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 4:24:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I might be getting my gun back from the police today.( I hope)  I am also going to our range(if you can even call it that), to see if I can find any more pieces  of my gun.   My dad was standing 5 feet away from me and my sister and here friend were about 8 feet away, and they felt pieces of my gun hitting them.  So I have a good chance find some more pieces.  I'll keep everyone updated.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 4:26:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I will only leave this pic up for a short time, I will probably take it off tomorrow morning, or later to night.  I am out of school and work for a couple of days.

Edit: Picture removed
What was the pic of?

ETA never mind I figured out what the pic was

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 4:35:36 AM EDT
[#31]
My face, I didn't want to leave it on for very long.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 4:36:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Quoted:

damn it I missed the pic, what was the pic of?

If you look at a few posts afterwards the link is still quoted.  Basically it's a bunch of nice little black pits on his right side and a slight black eye.  Probably a hell of a lot worse looking that day.

Probably should have the mods edit those posts.

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 4:37:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It was a good safety reminder for all of us. Thanks for posting it and the other pictures.

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 4:39:41 AM EDT
[#34]
man i just signed up for Perry to shoot my eddystone it has about 300 (of my) rounds in it... and an 11-18 Remington barrel

I'm freaking out a bit.

My nerves aside I hope you recover 100% OP
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 4:42:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn it I missed the pic, what was the pic of?

If you look at a few posts afterwards the link is still quoted.  Basically it's a bunch of nice little black pits on his right side and a slight black eye.  Probably a hell of a lot worse looking that day.

Probably should have the mods edit those posts.

I went down a few posts and seen the link was quoted, then I looked at the pic

Glad you came out basically unscathed OP and thanks for the help on viewing the pic metalsaber

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:34:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Your gonna have a hell of a story to tell people when you need to go through a metal detector.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Since I was a kid I have hunted with .303's. To hear of one blowing up is quite uncommon to me. I would really like to find out the cause of the explosion.

Sounds like the OP is quite an Enfield guy, and I'm not familiar with the Eddystone units.

How often does the happen ?

Is it a quality issue or an amunition issue ?

I hope the OP heals proper.

The rifle in question is a Model 1917 in .30-06, not a Pattern 1914 in .303.

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:56:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I'd make sure you take the pic off of your image hosting site, then. The links where people quoted it still work.

Sorry about the rifle, but I'm glad you kept the eye. Good job wearing the eye protection!

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#39]
The links are ok, I don't really mind.  I guess if it helps other people under stand what can happen when your shooting, I don't really care if people use the links.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#40]
In for updates.  Unfortunately, if you shoot a lot , this is not too uncommon.  I had a rd of 30-06 korean surplus fail and split open all the way to the primer. Split the garand stock in half on the bottom.  No harm to shooter.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Well; this is inspiring me to go shell out the cash for prescription safety glasses and not just use my day-to-day lenses when shooting...
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OK...... I will no longer just wear my eyeglasses when shooting but will from now on also wear safety glasses.  Thanks for posting OP, I am converted.

+1
Glad you are OK
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS flag all up in this mother fucker.

Oh for fuck''s sake...  

If there were 20 pieces of metal freshly lodged in you head, would your first instinct be to post about it on a website a few hours after it happening?

The BS flag stands until proven otherwise.

I am curious as well...but mostly about the "6 pieces that are not coming out".

I mean, if a person is already IN the Emergency Room, is that NOT the best time to remove shrapnel?

I have some stones embedded in my arm (don't ask) that have been there for many years now. Last year I was scratching my arm and one of them popped out. The ER doctor at the time said it wasn't worth the additional trauma to dig them out. Mostly I don't notice them.

ETA: OP, sorry to hear you got hurt, at least its not something serious. If you ever have to go in for an MRI, let them know you have metal in your face. It can torque and move in the field. Not a good thing.

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eddystone 1917's have a known defect of micro cracks that develop from rebarreling.

Eddystone, not being a real gun producer, over torqued barrels to the receivers back when they were made/being pumped out during WWI.
ETA:

The original barrels were fine for initial usage, but post war, many rifles were re-barreled with Johnson Barrels in the arsenal prior to being put away for storage. When the original Eddystone barrels were removed, micro and small cracks developed in the receiver when the over torqued Eddystone barrels were removed/the new Johnson barrels were installed.

These cracks create a VERY UNSAFE condition on par with low serial number/improperly treated 1903(a1) Springfields.

A modern .30-06' commercially loaded ammo with higher CUP pressure than M1/M2 Ball ammo specs could definitely KB a Eddystone 1917 that has a Johnson Barrel installed that created small fissures that are not always visible to the eye as some of the cracks could develop below the stock line and/or be hairline type cracks that are difficult to spot unless you are really looking for them with a jewelers loupe.

I only own/shoot WINCHESTER made Model of 1917 rifles due to this Eddystone issue.

I hope the OP recovers fully and provides some additional details.

Thanks for the info.  I was worried there for a minute, but mine is a Winchester with a Johnson barrel.

Oh yea, why the hell do the police have the rifle?

Yep, you are good to go.

The problem stemmed from the Eddystone line workers not being familiar enough with gun manufacturing and understanding that barreling an action isn't just about brute force.
I've heard the hypothesis that they (Eddstyone workers) were paid by rifles assembled and not on quality so the incentive was on the workers to speed things up, at least that is how one story goes. The fact remains the problem is an Eddystone receiver with Johnson barrel model of 1917 issue.

Ummmm. No.

The production facility at Eddystone, Pa., a/k/a/ "Eddystone Arsenal", was operated by Remington Arms Company. It was suspervised and directed by Colonel John Thompson (designer of the Thompson Submachinegun. The employees at Eddystone were mostly experienced Remington employees. There is no evidence whatever that the employees were paid on a piecework basis.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Here are some pics.

I will be posting some more with in the hour
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#46]
More pics.

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#47]
As stated earlier, a case rupture...
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Did we ever get an answer as to why the Police had the gun? Glad you're okay OP, sorry about your gun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Some more.  The police had it because they did not want the gun to be at the hospital.  That's all they said.

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Some more.  The police had it because they did not want the gun to be at the hospital.  That's all they said.

Yeah good thing they took it, you could have gone on a rampage with that busted up bolt action.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top