BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
IM Out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#2]
This is very cool.  You should set up a blog!
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious about those interface cards. How exactly do they interface all the buttons to the computer? Via USB or firewire or something?
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I want a Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering degree...but...I suck at math. No amount of studying has helped. Biggest reason I haven't gone to college while I was in.

What you should do is buy yourself some used algebra text books and start working through them on your own. You can totally half ass it and still end up improving your math skills quite a bit before you get out of the military. Imagine how much you could improve with 6 months of self study. You can be more than prepared for the math courses you'd face in college if you start teaching and challenging yourself on your own right now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Arduino work for this?

Also, contact LM and see if they'll send you beauty shots of the interior. Did I already say that?
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Tekka's right, JS.

Math is something you can learn on your own.  And, it's often easier that way than if you try to follow some half-assed lowest common denominator high school syllabus.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tekka's right, JS.

Math is something you can learn on your own.  And, it's often easier that way than if you try to follow some half-assed lowest common denominator high school syllabus.

Online math courses.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Have you seen this?

homemade 747 simulator
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Arduino work for this?

Also, contact LM and see if they'll send you beauty shots of the interior. Did I already say that?

Arduino is neat, but not nearly enough I/O for this project. PHCC is greatly expandable.

I emailed LM got no response, then called and pretty much got told to buzz off.

Link Posted: 4/17/2009 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Small update in first post.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#11]
very cool
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Very cool!  But, having spent many hours in a .mil aircraft, I have got to say IT IS TOO CLEAN AND ALL THE COLORS MATCH.

Make the panels off a little bit, colorwise and it'll look a ton better.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#13]
The first picture IS NOT my pit. It is the reference picture from a LM systems trainer. It WILL be the endstate of my project though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to rebuild "throttle boxes" for Hawk and Tornado
All I can say is....they may look complicated from the front....you wanna see what's behind the panels.
The avionic guys used to demonstrate gyros etc ....now they were complex compared to my airframe gizmos

Cheers
Taffy

took me ages to find this pic

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#15]
This website may help you out.  It seems to be the arfcom of F16 forums.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum.html

ETA: Nevermind, I see you're already a member there.

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Just working on the CP/MIPs in SolidWorks. Whatchall think so far?
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Awsome!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Got a few questions for ya.  1st, where did you learn how to do all of this?  2nd, Did you do all your own CAD for this?  3rd, where are you currently stationed?  4, do you have a current resume?

I work for Lockheed Martin and we are always looking for talent like yours.  E-mail me your resume if you're still looking and I'll see what I can find.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Got a few questions for ya.  1st, where did you learn how to do all of this?  2nd, Did you do all your own CAD for this?  3rd, where are you currently stationed?  4, do you have a current resume?

I work for Lockheed Martin and we are always looking for talent like yours.  E-mail me your resume if you're still looking and I'll see what I can find.

IM Out, since I didn't have your email address.

Link Posted: 4/20/2009 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I sent a note to the owner of the L-M flickr account:

They replied:
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Update #5 in first post.

Thanks for asking them, but I have sent many emails out there and not gotten any help. I think I am going to go with green backlighting, just cause I like it.

I just need to find a source of inexpensive Electroluminescent Sheets.

Would prefer if they ran off 5 or 12v DC. One of my design requirements and risk assessment issues was NO 120 or 220 through the pit itself - safety precaution.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#23]
It never ceases to amaze me what people with the right skills and tools can do.  Great work,  Keep up with the updates.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#24]
You know you won't be able to stop there.

You've got the bug, and pretty soon, nothing less than your own hand-built F-16 will do .  

ETA:  I'm showing the wife this, and she's pretty impressed too.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Hell no, I decided to scrap the electronics when I build this thing, I am just gonna sit in it in my Kevlar and AR15 and make zooming noises.

EDIT:
I kid, I kid...

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Wow! that is really impressive. I look at the time, effort and knowledge required to do that and just stand back in awe.

Tag for progress.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Never looked at this before, but that is incredible.  Nice job so far.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Update #5 in first post.

Thanks for asking them, but I have sent many emails out there and not gotten any help. I think I am going to go with green backlighting, just cause I like it.

Would prefer if they ran off 5 or 12v DC. One of my design requirements and risk assessment issues was NO 120 or 220 through the pit itself - safety precaution.

Prepare to worship me as a God...

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#29]
That's incredible...good luck with your project, I can't wait to see it finished.

Tagscribe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#30]
very cool!
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Update #5 in first post.

Prepare to worship me as a God...

<a target="_blank" href="http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/f16/aab.jpg"><SNIP></a>

Yeah...I know what backlighting is for the Block 15 (First Picture), 50, and 52+/MLU....but thanks for the help though!

Im debating between green for NVIS panel look, or bright blue for "bling" look when I turn off the lights. I hope that once I finish the sim I can get my girlfriend off it long enough to take her to bed...

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Teaser update:

My ICP SolidWorks Drawing I just finished:

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Update #5 in first post.

Taking that from a "retro" perspective, the panels I am most used to were clear plexiglass, painted black with white lettering. Their illumination came from several peanut lights, typically near the corners, and that was sufficient. These were low voltage DC systems.

If I were to do it, I'd sandwich an appropriately colored LED between the plexiglass and the surface that it mounts to. I'd need to dish out the backside of the plexiglass a bit, so that the LED is effectively in the the middle of the plexiglass's depth. Overall, I'd just use a potentiometer to control the brightness.

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I can't see the images at work but I already know what you got going on. I've seen some post at viperpits.

I need to start my pit project, I 've so much stuff in boxes in the spare room.

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Go over to http://www.f-16.net/ Over half the people there are F-16 pilots, mechanics or work with F-16's in one way or another. They can find anything you need.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Did you buy the PHCC board or etch it yourself?
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Did you buy the PHCC board or etch it yourself?

I had it made - BatchPCB FTW.

I'm bout to go make another run of various boards I need.

John

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#38]
VERY NICE!  As someone who has spent MANY MANY years flying fighter sims - that is an impressive piece of work.  Looking forwward to seeing how it "flys" when you get it done.

ETA:  When you move out of the barracks, how are you going to get it through the door?
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

VERY NICE!  As someone who has spent MANY MANY years flying fighter sims - that is an impressive piece of work.  Looking forwward to seeing how it "flys" when you get it done.

ETA:  When you move out of the barracks, how are you going to get it through the door?

I am designing it in 5 major componets. One of my design features is that it must be able to be moved by a single person through a standard interior door with a hand trolly. The trick is gonna be getting a couple friends to help me get it down the three flights of stairs.

I'll probably end up making a wooden crate to drop the left/right consoles into safely for transport.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#40]
need an update its been a week now
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Waiting on my CNCer to actually get my seat cut and my tub cut.

So I am in somewhat of a holding pattern.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I've seen/repaired many such control boxes and their panels over the years. That LOOKS authentic. If it was clean and perfect, I'd suspect something was wrong.

No kidding. I seen much worse in birds with less that 100hrs on the airframe!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Just ordered all but two panels for my left console. Should have enough money saved up to get my panels fabricated for my right console here soon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Update #6, in original post!
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 3:17:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Update #7 in original post.

ACES II Parts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 3:23:27 AM EDT
[#46]
tag
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 5:31:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Kind of Nerdy... But I bet 99% of the people here would come over and play with your Toys...

I can't wait to see how this works in the end

Very Cool
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#48]
I would take off of work and take a vacation just to check that thing out when it's done!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 5:45:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Incredible project man.

Quoted:

I want a Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering degree...but...I suck at math. No amount of studying has helped. Biggest reason I haven't gone to college while I was in.

FWIW, it's really, really hard to flunk out of college these days.  There's a lot of extra help available and curves are usually quite generous in engineering programs.  A lot of schools have some form of support network, formal or informal, for the military community, too.  Besides, I don't think smart people can really suck at any brainy pursuit, they just haven't been motivated or found their angle yet.  EE has been the more sought after and lucrative degree as far as what I've seen, but all the MEs I knew have good jobs too.  Best of luck - I'll be watching this thread.

Link Posted: 5/22/2009 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Nerd? No.

Geek, yes.

Nerds aren't cool enough to have girlfriends, guns, or live outside their mother's basement.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top