User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope - totally illegal to distill in the USA without a tax stamp.

Somebody better tell most college Chemistry Departments, we used to make alcohol in class as part of our lab assignments.  Wasn't on a huge scale... well in the lab at least

Teaching a bunch of fraternity men how to distill alcohol was not a wise move.
I remember doing that in high school science. I think 9th grade, can't remember.

Link Posted: 11/18/2010 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebody better tell most college Chemistry Departments, we used to make alcohol in class as part of our lab assignments.  Wasn't on a huge scale... well in the lab at least

I remember doing that in high school science class. I think 9th grade Biology, can't remember.

Link Posted: 11/18/2010 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Ah, my old girlfriend. I love her still.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#4]
no.
you can make a certain amount of beer or wine ( fermented ), but nothing distilled, i believe...
what a stupid rule.

for future reference, applying logic to federal laws is a good way to earn a long jail sentence.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://www.ttb.gov/faqs/genalcohol.shtml

My dad's family was "in the business" 50 years ago. Didn't turn out well.

Mine never got busted for it, but they had a few close calls.

My grandfather claimed he and his father had to dump all their mash out in their farm field and bury it because there was word in town that the revenuer's were coming to bust their still.

The chickens found the mash and walked around drunk for days.

My grandfather's uncle lived in town and his house mysteriously caught fire. The fireman were confounded. Some sort of jars in the attic kept exploding with blue flames!

I miss him, even at 80 years old, he had a small batch of peach schnapps going on the back porch.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there an "educational purposes" exclusion? I wonder if that's how the tv shows and chemistry classes get around it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
We need a "Craft Distilling Licensing" act.  

It would let you buy a license to distill for personal use, with small limits on the size of the still and the amount that could be made.

Link Posted: 11/18/2010 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#8]

dont use copper. stainless is way safer/easier to clean

Link Posted: 11/18/2010 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Alot more info here than I expected!  

Link Posted: 11/18/2010 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://www.ttb.gov/faqs/genalcohol.shtml

My dad's family was "in the business" 50 years ago. Didn't turn out well.

My paternal grandfather got nabbed making the family recipe. This was in Kentucky, late 50's, and he did some federal time for it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2010 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Imagine getting caught with moonshine, an unregistered machine gun and a carton of untaxed cigarettes.

Ever been to rural Kentucky?

Hey! I spent the first 39 years of my life in rural Kentucky. In my experience the greatest to lowest probability of encountering the above are as follows;

1. unregistered machine gun (probably not Knob Creek style either!)
2. moonshine
3. untaxed cigarettes (tobacco is one of our biggest crops after MJ)

YMMV, depending on your age & region of the state you are from.

Link Posted: 11/18/2010 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've always heard it was legal, as long as you weren't selling it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

It's not legal, no matter what you do with it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Make your beer.
Put beer in open containers.
Put containers in freezer.
Wait.
Remove container and pour off alcohol.
Drink alcohol.

An old timer told me this years ago.  Never got around to trying it, yet..
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
read this with some interest:  Someone want to explain how Washington State (and I think there are at least 2 other states) that have passed laws sawing if the 80% (or some such percent) of the raw material comes from inside the State and the alcohol is sold ONLY IN WASHINGTON that you do not have to pay the Federal tax.

Washington has somewhere around 5 distilleries with more on the way.  ATF has done nothing at this point that I am aware of.

Can you post additional info on this?  I only see law in WA about craft distilleries that use over 50% of in-state raw materials.  Federal law still applies to this activity from what I can find.  I'm interested in it due to the recently passed 'made in AK' state gun law.  If the feds are really allowing this to happen with booze it sets a precedence for guns.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Heck... we did it in my Chemistry class as a sophomore in high school. The group with the highest proof won.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 3:41:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's very easy to do.  

100% apple juice,  Ground cinnamon,  dash of Ground nutmeg, drop of vanilla extract, and a couple apple slices tossed in.  Bring mix to rapid boil stirring continuously, remove from heat, allow to cool until you can put your finger in the mix for ~5 seconds without burning yourself.  Add to jars partially filled with moonshine.  Refrigerate and consume.

Some folks like it if you drop a couple apple slices in the jar with the pie.  That's fine, but they don't tend to taste very good...in fact they taste like straight liquor...especially if you're using real shine.  In my experience the apple slices if consumed in large amounts will give you a heaving case of the shits in the morning as well as mess you up pretty good post-consumption.

FWIW, they add sugar to their apple pie.  Too sweet and not strong enough for my tastes, but some folks dig it.

Something you might try is coring, slicing, and peeling a pear.  Put some of your shine in a pint jar and drop the pear in with it.  Let it sit for a month and then consume.

Thanks.  You know I heard the lady at the store mentioning that you got the recipe for free ... and promptly forgot to ask for the recipe when I bought the pictured jar of white lightning.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 4:04:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
read this with some interest:  Someone want to explain how Washington State (and I think there are at least 2 other states) that have passed laws sawing if the 80% (or some such percent) of the raw material comes from inside the State and the alcohol is sold ONLY IN WASHINGTON that you do not have to pay the Federal tax.

Washington has somewhere around 5 distilleries with more on the way.  ATF has done nothing at this point that I am aware of.

They don't want to risk a Supreme Court case that could cripple their abuse of the interstate commerce clause.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't want to risk a Supreme Court case that could cripple their abuse of the interstate commerce clause.

Nonsense.

The original whiskey excise tax passed by the First Congress taxed ALL whiskey distilling. Even whiskey using materials grown within one state, distilled within the same state and consumed within that same state was subject to the tax.

An excise tax requires no interstate commerce component. Article I Section 8 grants Congress plenary excise taxing powers. If the facts as stated by FS-FNRL are true (and I doubt they are) then it is not the BATFE who needs fear the Court's ruling.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top