Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hear you. FWIW, I keep a logbook of weight, sets, and reps. I'm regimented in that aspect-do the same thing every week and either go up in reps and/or weight if I'm comfortable enough.
View Quote

That's different than a program though. With a program you have specific things already laid out each day.

But it is good to keep a log. I can tell you exactly what I did dating back many years.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's different than a program though. With a program you have specific things already laid out each day.

But it is good to keep a log. I can tell you exactly what I did dating back many years.
View Quote

Just so we're on the same page, I am doing specific exercises in a specific order. It is a program in the sense that everything is very regimented, but it's something I created so it's far from optimal and obviously not proven. I get that, and I'm ok with that since I enjoy doing it. As someone stated earlier in the thread, I may just get good at exercising, but I'll certainly see results as long as I do it faithfully. I've already adjusted my diet accordingly and have seen results I'm pleased with. I would like to stick with what I'm doing for at least 6 months and then re-evaluate. Again, I appreciate your feedback and encouragement along the way.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just so we're on the same page, I am doing specific exercises in a specific order. It is a program in the sense that everything is very regimented, but it's something I created so it's far from optimal and obviously not proven. I get that, and I'm ok with that since I enjoy doing it. As someone stated earlier in the thread, I may just get good at exercising, but I'll certainly see results as long as I do it faithfully. I've already adjusted my diet accordingly and have seen results I'm pleased with. I would like to stick with what I'm doing for at least 6 months and then re-evaluate. Again, I appreciate your feedback and encouragement along the way.
View Quote

If it makes you happy go for it,  keep at it and update the thread with your progress.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just so we're on the same page...programming is much more than exercises and consistency.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wrong again. He came for advice and we are giving it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're right, this isn't GD. Subjecting someone to ridicule because they do not choose to heed advice -- particularly unsolicited and unwanted advice -- is inappropriate.
And this is not the first time that I've seen a newcomer remark about being discouraged by such needlessly antagonistic comments from some of the individuals here.

Wrong again. He came for advice and we are giving it.

LOL again. From the OP:

Quoted:
I'm not looking to get into powerlifting or anything of that sort- just overall better health and Lord willing a better physique along with that. I came up with a workout plan that has some weightlifting and cardio. I know, I know- I should use some proven program,  but it's ok. I'm sure it will be adequate. Just wanted to share so hopefully some of you guys will hold me accountable.

Precisely where in there do you imagine that you see a request for advice? All I see him saying (in the original post, and later posts) is that he is content with his own workout plan, and does not want to do one of the proven programs.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Lunk alarm!

Seriously...how you doin'?
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lunk alarm!Seriously...how you doin'?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

LOL again. From the OP:

Precisely where in there do you imagine that you see a request for advice? All I see him saying (in the original post, and later posts) is that he is content with his own workout plan, and does not want to do one of the proven programs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL again. From the OP:

]I'm certainly open to suggestions; however, some things I can't change. I'll be working out in our basement which has a bench, dumbbells, pull up bar, dip station, treadmill, and exercise bike. Also, if in say 6 months my BP hasn't improved, in going to reassess my plan and focus as that is one of the biggest concerns to me right now.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I will say that I understand wanting to ease into things. But... I wouldn't take too long. You'd just be wasting your time.

I'd say after a month of increasing the amount of weights  than do a "soft" test on your max with some really heavy weight (for you) and a spotter. In the neighborhood of  3-5 reps at this heavy weight. You can use this to calculate a theoretical max and then plug that into the program (starting strength, 5x5, 5-3-1).

I will say that pushing heavy weights seems to make more progress than just doing a lot of reps of a relatively (for you) low weight.

Some basic advice I'd give to anyone starting out lifting weights.
1) Focus on big, compound movements with large range of motion. In other words, don't worry about the wrist rolls, calf raises, and bicep iso stuff right now.
2) Learning to listen to your body WRT recovery is really important. I try and do 90-120 seconds between sets. I alternate a pulling exercise (such as lat pull-downs) with a pushing exercise (such as overhead dumbbell press). And then back to pulling again. This also forces you to do complimentary exercises.
3) Stay away from motion-limiting machines. Cables and free weights are best. Don't use the smith machine (at all) unless you have something very specific that you need it for (and you probably don't).
4) Don't be afraid of squats and deadlifts. They are better and more complete exercises than the leg press machine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the feedback all. Kaik I'll certainly continue to update. Thanks for the comments everyone. Whether I directly respond to or not, I am reading this and take to heart your suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Another week down. I weigh myself every day although I'm not really aiming for a particular number. I can notice a difference in the mirror- less bloat, some muscle definition, etc.

Exercises are going well. I've still been able to increase weight each week on most exercises, or at least add a few reps which is still progress. I'm still fine tuning my workout plan, but it's come a long way since what I first presented.

I've never been able to do a true pull-up but I'm sure getting close this time around. I'm a believer in the controlled negatives. I'm seeing a lot of progress in just a few short sessions.

Squats are bit difficult for me as my hamstrings are TIGHT. I don't have the range of motion I hoped right now, but I'll keep at them and keep stretching to avoid injury and attain proper form.

My only other significant problem I can think of is lower back pain while doing any overhead press style workout. I do my best to maintain a straight posture and even without arching my lower back, I still feel a lot of discomfort which then lingers for a few days afterward. I've done them standing and sitting with the same results. However, I didn't have back support on the bench I used, so that might change things. I just don't want to decrease weight and not work my shoulders as well because of the pain, but that might be the route I have to go. Thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another week down. I weigh myself every day although I'm not really aiming for a particular number. I can notice a difference in the mirror- less bloat, some muscle definition, etc.

Exercises are going well. I've still been able to increase weight each week on most exercises, or at least add a few reps which is still progress. I'm still fine tuning my workout plan, but it's come a long way since what I first presented.

I've never been able to do a true pull-up but I'm sure getting close this time around. I'm a believer in the controlled negatives. I'm seeing a lot of progress in just a few short sessions.

Squats are bit difficult for me as my hamstrings are TIGHT. I don't have the range of motion I hoped right now, but I'll keep at them and keep stretching to avoid injury and attain proper form.

My only other significant problem I can think of is lower back pain while doing any overhead press style workout. I do my best to maintain a straight posture and even without arching my lower back, I still feel a lot of discomfort which then lingers for a few days afterward. I've done them standing and sitting with the same results. However, I didn't have back support on the bench I used, so that might change things. I just don't want to decrease weight and not work my shoulders as well because of the pain, but that might be the route I have to go. Thanks for reading.
View Quote

Are you taking a deep breath and flexing your core during your shoulder press?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are you taking a deep breath and flexing your core during your shoulder press?
View Quote

And I also wonder if you're leaning back and trying to activate the chest.  Stay strict with it, no bending of the back, no leaning, lighten up the weight and do strict press.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Battling a cold this week, but I've decided to continue exercising since I'm still not lifting heavier weight just yet. Here's a glimpse at what I've chosen to do. Again my focus is on overall health, building stamina, etc. Lifting heavy weight and focusing on increasing my one rep max isn't my mainstay at this point in my life. All weighted exercises are done with adjustable dumbbells as that's all that is available to me. I've also opted for Fat Gripz on the Ironmaster dumbbells I have. At first I thought it was just a marketing scheme, but I'm a believer so far. Great forearm workout and really improves grip strength. All weightlifting days include 15 minutes of uphill treadmill walking at the end of the workout. I'm aiming for 8-12 repetitions on my heaviest weight sets. I start at about 60% for warm up for one set then move to desired weight.

Day 1- Bench Press, Incline Press, Decline Press, Tricep Kickback
Day 2- Squats, Lunges, Step Ups, Sumo Squats, and Calf Raises
Day 3- Weighted Crunches, Standing Side Crunches, Increased Cardio Workout
Day 4- Deadlift, Dumbbell Pullover, Chin-ups and Pull-ups, Bent Row, and Bicep Curl
Day 5- Shoulder Press, Upright Row, Underhand Press, Dumbbell Shrugs, Dumbbell Front and Lateral Raises
Day 6- 30 minute uphill treadmill walking
Day 7- Rest

I'm planning to following this for 6 weeks until my body becomes accustomed to working out again. Muscle soreness is always an issue for me when I first start a workout regiment. After 6 weeks, I'm hoping to switch to 6 days of weightlifting and 1 day cardio. I'll keep the crucial exercises as my main point of focus, get rid of ab day, and switch out accessory workouts every other time. Example:

Day 1- Bench Press, Incline Press, Decline Press, Dips, Tricep Kickback
Day 2- Remains the same as leg day above
Day 3-Deadlift, Bent Row, Chin-ups, Bicep Curl, Shoulder Press, Upright Row, Lateral Raises
Day 4- Bench Press, Inlcine Press, Decline Press, Partial Chest Flies, Weighted Crunches
Day 5- Repeat  Day 2
Day 6- Deadlift, Bent Row, Pull-ups, Shoulder Press, Upright Row, Dumbbell Shrug
Day 7- HIIT cardio

The second phase may need some adjusting, but I'm content with the first phase thus far. Maintain diet below(simplified to the max):

Breakfast- eggs, protein shake, fruit
Protein snack
Lunch- meat, vegetables
Protein snack
Dinner- meat, vegetables
Workout followed by post-workout snack
Protein shake before bed

Diet is a stumbling point for me mainly because of access to food during work. Depending on the day I may not have time to eat for 6+ hours at a time. Thankfully that's somewhat rare. Thanks for reading and will continue to report back.
View Quote

Yeah you'll burn out on thay many exercises with that many reps soon enough. I did something like that with dumbells starting off though and enjoyed it but i got tired of how fucking ling it took and at some point dumbells were pretty much just cardio.

Starting strength is so much easier and faster.
My curret routine is
Mon squat 3x5 bench 3x5 chinups 3xfailure
Tue rest
Wed squat 3x5 overhead press 3x5 deadlifts 1x5
Thur rest
Fri squat 3x5 bench 3x5 powerclean 5x3
Sat or sun some fun cardio a hike or whatever.

There's some warm up sets and the next week you do two days press and just 1 day of bench. You increase the weight 5 or 10 lbs each workout. Your list of crap makes my head spin and would leave you working out for hours everyday. My list above will give better results and is much simpler
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And I also wonder if you're leaning back and trying to activate the chest.  Stay strict with it, no bending of the back, no leaning, lighten up the weight and do strict press.
View Quote

I think I was so focused on posture that I might have neglected to consider what's Kaik mentioned. I even stood against a pole while I was doing to make sure my back was straight and still experienced the pain. I'll report back once I focus on my breathing and tightening my core.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Mr243..

I aways had lower back pain when overhead pressing as well.   I went to a starting strength seminar and they identified that my lower back was in hyper extension when pressing.

Now I think to myself when I over head press:

Pelvis up (as in try to thrust your junk up) ....this is what corrects the lower back hyper extension for me.  When you thrust up with pelvis squeeze and hold that position.

Chest up

Big deep breath and squeeze everything really tight.

Then press.  Haven't had an issue since.  

Also you mentioned your tight hamgstrings give you trouble in squats.  I'd bet my next paycheck you have a form issue.  There really are very few normal healthy adults who can't squat to proper depth with correct form.

PS your program still sucks
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Nice pull!

you've "toned up" nicely!
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nice pull!

you've "toned up" nicely!
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Things are continuing to go well. Moving some heavy weight (for me, of course) now. I've also cut a lot of exercises as others have suggested. Doing less majoring in the minors as Wendler would say. According to the scale, I lost two pounds my first two weeks and have remained the same since. I'm seeing results in the mirror although my wife says otherwise. Minor muscle gain but no major changes in my gut size yet. My diet is pretty clean. I haven't done much cardio but will probably start back up 1-2x per week with that again.

My current plan is to continue my diet and exercises until May then alter things and attempt to lose at least 10 pounds of fat.

Also, I noticed I was getting a little sloppy with shoulder exercises. Going to drop the weight to clean my technique up. Better to nip it in the bud now than continue and end up hurting myself down the road. Thanks for the tips on the shoulder presses. No back pain yesterday or today!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Starting my second cycle with some variation from what I've done. I took a few days off last week because my body needed the rest. Joint pain seems to have resolved for the time being. I'm very happy with the progress I've made except for squats. I had my brother in law come over who is an avid plate mover to try to help me with my technique. I think I need to start back from the beginning (maybe 95lbs) and work my way back up. They're just ugly. Areas of my legs are too tight (hamstrings and hip flexors), I can't get my butt down far enough, the barbell kills my back because of my limited arm mobility and lack of traps- very frustrating. With that being said, I'm happy with the way things are going with everything considered.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#21]
You haven't given specs on your diet...what is your macro/calorie per day like?  I would suggest doing the myfitnesspal phone app to log everything--if for no other reason, you will start to learn what is good and bad...and how clif bars are not good for you LOL.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the feedback. I did the MyFitnessPal app for a few days to make sure I was on the right track with my goals. From a calorie perspective, I stay positive on my exercise days and neutral or a slight deficit on my off days. Here's what a typical day might look like:

Breakfast- Protein shake with milk, banana, 3 scrambled eggs, 2 sausage links or 2 slices of bacon

Snack- 1/4 cup almonds, a raw bell pepper

Lunch (cafeteria provided)- a serving of meat (whatever is available that day), two servings of vegetables, spinach salad with kidney or black beans and the usual fixings (cucumber, tomato, etc., and an apple

Snack- 3 lentil balls made by my wife (lentils, coconut oil, peanut butter, honey, protein powder, etc.) each have roughly 5+ grams of protein, raw vegetable serving (squash, bell pepper, carrots, etc)

Dinner- A serving of meat by my lovely wife, two side of vegetables +/- carbs on leg day

Post workout snack- Oatmeal with blueberries, peanut butter, and cinnamon or tuna with crackers. Also another serving of raw vegetables.

Bed time- Protein shake with milk

All I drink is water aside from the protein shakes. I'll probably cut the dairy or at least limit it when I'm looking for a little weightloss,  but for now I'm pretty happy with my set up.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Since I've got back in the swing of things, I've only had one half decent day of squats. There's always something that goes wrong when I do them. I think my hip flexors are really what the root of the problem is. I sit about 80-90% while I'm at work. I'm going to try some stretches and exercises over the next week and see if they improve at all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Finally felt comfortable enough with some exercises to test my maxes. I was a little hesitant about posting because of how pathetic they are,  it I figured it would help hold me accountable which is what this thread is about.

Currently 6' 197lbs 21.9% body fat
Squats: Continuing to work on form
Deadlift: 225 x 5 reps (not true max since I haven't tested it yet but just wanted to add this in)
Bench Press: 160lbs x 3 reps
Overhead Press: 100lbs x 3 reps
Chin Ups: 4
Pull Ups: 1

Just to reiterate from my prior posts, I'm not primarily going for strength but that is certainly a goal of mine. Here's where I would really like to be:

Squats: 300lbs
Deadlift: 400lbs
Bench Press: 300lbs
Overhead Press: 200lbs
Chin Ups and Pull Ups: 15 body weight reps
Body fat: 12-15%

Just thought I would share current state and future goals.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice work those are great goals.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#26]
To hop on the pick a solid program and do it wagon.

I started lifting as a total noob not quite a year and a half ago.  
I was mentored by a bro who had me doing everything like you are describing.  
He was quite upset when I decided that I had wasted two months on going nowhere and abandoned his technique to adopt strong lifts.  

I have been amazed by my progress and I am starting to like what I see in the mirror.  

You do you but I would like to add one more vote to picking a proven program and run it.  
Best wishes and good luck with your fitness journey.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

He was quite upset when I decided that I had wasted two months on going nowhere and abandoned his technique to adopt strong lifts.  

I have been amazed by my progress and I am starting to like what I see in the mirror.  

You do you but I would like to add one more vote to picking a proven program and run it.  
Best wishes and good luck with your fitness journey.
View Quote

He's come a long way with his program already!  We are proud of him!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll certainly jump on the bandwagon of the 5x5 program or 5/3/1 depending how far along I get. I do put the most focus on compounds during my exercise time, but I also do want the variation and aesthetics some isolation exercises provide. Here's what I've been doing for the past few weeks. Everything is recorded and beat with either reps or weight the following week. I'm making great progress IMO.

Monday- Bench Press, Dips, and Tricep Extensions
Tuesday- Deadlift, Pull-ups, Dumbbell Pullover, Bent Row
Wednesday- Dumbbell Overhead Press, Upright Row, Dumbbells shrugs, Front and Lateral Raise
Thursday- Squats, Stiff Leg Deadlift, Step Ups, Calf Raises
Friday- Abs
Saturday- Squats, Bench Press, Chin Ups, Overhead Press
Sunday- Rest

I've cut all cardio for time constraints which I will add in later when I try to get rid of some body fat. Compounds are typically 3x8 except for the deadlift which is 3x5. Isolation exercises are 3x10. I know how pointless abs are, but I would really like to have a six pack some day and figured it can't hurt. More of a rest day than anything with some busy work. I really enjoy what I'm doing. My wife even commented today that she sees my arms getting bigger. I appreciated this since I've been a bean pole with a round gut for the past 5 years.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:14:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dunno. I had been doing my own program, not too dissimilar to what the OP says (two posts above this one) that he's currently doing. I eventually reached a point where I was unable to make progress in how much weight I could lift.
After many months of being stuck, I decided to give 5x5 a try. So far, I not only have failed to make any progress, I've actually been regressing. I don't know if it's the program, or merely coincidence, and would have happened anyway.
I'm thinking maybe I should return to my previous routine, if only as a test to see what happens. While I certainly wasn't growing stronger with it, at least I wasn't getting weaker.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#31]
This week was good. I've really been working on my hip flexor mobility and form for squats. Something finally clicked, and it finally feels right. Because of my girly traps, I am supporting most of the weight with my hands at the moment. Was able to increase my 3RM a few pounds more:

Squats: 175
Bench Press: 165
Overhead Press: 105
Deadlift: 230

Squats and deadlifts feel pretty easy. I'm sure I can get far more than that. I'm trying to stay regimented and not increase more than 10 pounds per week for squats until 225 and deadlifts only going up 5 pounds.

Bench press and overhead press were very difficult for me. Barely made it up on the last rep. These are legitimately my maxes for now.

Other accessory stuff is going well. I hate to admit this, but I'm probably approaching the strongest I've ever been in terms of weightlifting. While this is a great accomplishment for me, it also reminds me of how weak I've truly always been.

Also made some short term goals so I dont get discouraged along my journey:

Squat 3RM: 225
Deadlift 3RM: 315
Bench Press 3RM: Body weight (195 at the moment)
Overhead Press 3RM: 135
Pull-ups: 5 (Yes, just 5 legitimate pull-ups)
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Time to start thinking about replacing my barbell. It came with the weightset and is only rated to 300lbs. Frankly, I don't want to be getting too close to that number on it and cause myself injury if something goes south. I've heard great things about Rogue (their Rogue 2.0 and Ohio bar). Any feedback for general lifting?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Time to start thinking about replacing my barbell. It came with the weightset and is only rated to 300lbs. Frankly, I don't want to be getting too close to that number on it and cause myself injury if something goes south. I've heard great things about Rogue (their Rogue 2.0 and Ohio bar). Any feedback for general lifting?
View Quote

Rogue makes great bars. I have the Ohio powerbar and love it. It is really stiff and the knurling is perfect. I wouldn't recommend that particular bar if you are going to do Olympic lifts with it.  Other guys here have various rogue bars and can comment on those. The website describes their stuff accurately though, so just read up on them and see which one fits your needs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Rogue makes great bars. I have the Ohio powerbar and love it. It is really stiff and the knurling is perfect. I wouldn't recommend that particular bar if you are going to do Olympic lifts with it.  Other guys here have various rogue bars and can comment on those. The website describes their stuff accurately though, so just read up on them and see which one fits your needs.
View Quote

I have regular Ohio bar. It's great for deadlifts and cleans.  I have beater bar too. It's really stiff and good for squat and bench.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#35]
The old Rogue B&R is probably my favorite all around bar, I like the bare steel. The knurling is really fine but still sticky somehow. Haven't played with one of the new ones (2.0).
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the suggestions. Will probably end up going 2.0 or Ohio. I finally hit a plateau with my exercises. I'm convinced it's due to stress and lack of sleep. I have 3 children under 4 (one of which is 4 months old) and we just added a puppy into the mix this weekend. Needless to say, my house is chaos 90% of the time. Once the puppy isn't crying all night and I get back on track with sleep, I'm hoping things pick up from how they once were.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#37]
As it stands now my "dedicated" leg day is the following:

Squats 5x8
Romanian Deadlifts 3x8
Step Ups 3x10
Calf Raise Variants

Keeping in mind I'm looking for both strength and aesthetics, will I lose much by ditching the RDLs and doing low squats? Frankly, I just can't do them to the point that I feel hamstring involvement which is why I incorporated them into my routine. I'd much prefer squats and focusing on going deep to make the back/hamstrings work. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Knee pain with squats this morning. I think it's a combination of things. I tried going deeper without backing off on my usual weight. I found my knees trying to go inward even with my toes pointed slightly outward. I'll back off the weight and focus on form again to help avoid injury. That's the last thing I want right now when I've been going strong the past few weeks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#39]
All of my other exercises are going well except shoulders. They're giving me a lot of pain on all exercises I try for them. Thinking of really backing off on the weight and starting slow again or ditching the shoulder specific exercises altogether. How terrible would that be?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
All of my other exercises are going well except shoulders. They're giving me a lot of pain on all exercises I try for them. Thinking of really backing off on the weight and starting slow again or ditching the shoulder specific exercises altogether. How terrible would that be?
View Quote

I think that would be a fantastic idea, as long as you aren't talking about pressing. You don't need body part specific exercises at this point.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think that would be a fantastic idea, as long as you aren't talking about pressing. You don't need body part specific exercises at this point.
View Quote

I do mean the overheard press I do. The only other shoulder accessory work I do is a lateral and front raise. That doesn't bother me, but the OHP does for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#42]

That and what you said about the squats bothering your knees makes me think you have some issue with your form you just need to fix.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That and what you said about the squats bothering your knees makes me think you have some issue with your form you just need to fix.
View Quote

I think you're right- just can't pin point it. The squats I think there is definitely room for improvement in form. I would think it's hard to mess up and OHP, but hey, leave it to me to do so.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I think you're right- just can't pin point it. The squats I think there is definitely room for improvement in form. I would think it's hard to mess up and OHP, but hey, leave it to me to do so.
View Quote

I'm no coach or trainer but I have dealt with my share of shoulder problems. Not keeping your grip narrow and elbows pointed forward is the cause of a lot of peoples pressing issues. It's much like flaring the elbows out to the side in the bench, it can (and usually does) cause impingement which will wreck your shoulders. Video of what you are doing would probably clear it up pretty quick.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm no coach or trainer but I have dealt with my share of shoulder problems. Not keeping your grip narrow and elbows pointed forward is the cause of a lot of peoples pressing issues. It's much like flaring the elbows out to the side in the bench, it can (and usually does) cause impingement which will wreck your shoulders. Video of what you are doing would probably clear it up pretty quick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to watch and read up a bit more before Wednesday when I do shoulders.

In other news, I'm now at a combined weight of 700lbs for the big three on single reps. Pathetic, I know, but I've definitely come a long way since starting. Next goal is 850lbs. My guess would be somewhere around June provided I'm able to avoid injury.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions. Will probably end up going 2.0 or Ohio. I finally hit a plateau with my exercises. I'm convinced it's due to stress and lack of sleep. I have 3 children under 4 (one of which is 4 months old) and we just added a puppy into the mix this weekend. Needless to say, my house is chaos 90% of the time. Once the puppy isn't crying all night and I get back on track with sleep, I'm hoping things pick up from how they once were.
View Quote

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-bar-closeout

I have the black zinc.  It will scratch and does "gray" with use, but functionally has been a great bar.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Need some input here. Energy wise, I do well on all my workout days except the day that's primarily legs. Halfway through my workout, I get signs of hypoglycemia  that seems to resolve with time and relaxation. The rest of my exercises are then very difficult and sluggish. Do others have this problem? Is there a remedy as far as simple sugar drinks to sip on during the workout perhaps? I try to go carb heavy on those days prior to the workout by apparently isn't effective.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#48]
New PRs today:

Squat: 225x2
Bench Press: 200x1 (My bodyweight)
Deadlift: 315x1
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Need some input here. Energy wise, I do well on all my workout days except the day that's primarily legs. Halfway through my workout, I get signs of hypoglycemia  that seems to resolve with time and relaxation. The rest of my exercises are then very difficult and sluggish. Do others have this problem? Is there a remedy as far as simple sugar drinks to sip on during the workout perhaps? I try to go carb heavy on those days prior to the workout by apparently isn't effective.
View Quote
Tell us more about your eating habits and the timeing thereof on leg day.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:46:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Tell us more about your eating habits and the timeing thereof on leg day.
View Quote
A normal diet on leg day:
6AM 8oz milk with 25g protein mix, banana, multivitamin, fish oil, and vitamin D

7AM 3 scrambled wholes eggs, 3 slices of bacon, and water

Between 8:30-10AM 1/4 cup almonds, 1/2 bell pepper, 1 hard boiled egg, water, and 4oz milk with 12.5g protein mix

12PM A serving of meat (chicken, pork, fish, etc.), starchy vegetable (sweet potato), an additonal vegetable or carb (brown rice if available), protein mix from salad bar (kidney beans, chicken, egg with some salad dressing), apple, and water

3PM Lentil balls (with peanut butter, oats, pumpkin seeds, honey, and protein mix), 1/2 bell pepper, hard boiled egg, 4oz milk  with 12.5g protein mix

5:30PM nearly identical to lunch- a serving of meat, a carb, and a vegetable

7:30PM Exercise time

Additional meals eaten after workout

For what it's worth, I've always had issues when I really work my legs- even in college days. Running didn't bother me but rowing, high resistance on a bike, and weighted leg exercises I've nearly passed out on. Lost my vision then laid down and got my feet up before it was too late. Thats happened on numerous occasions.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top