User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:27:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you consider to be a camel spider?  Because the definition seems to have changed with the post-911 crowd.

When I was over there in the 90s they were described to me in detail.  Not too big, maybe about the size of a quarter not stretched out.  Relatively large body, with a hard shell on the body and legs, almost beetle-like.  Tan, but fading to black on the legs.  These were the critters that supposedly ate chunks out of you while you slept.  Everyone in tent city was worried about them.

Then I finally saw one shortly before I left Kuwait.  I was outside the HQ building smoking a cigarette on the steps.  First I heard it, those hard legs made a clicking sound as it walked on the concrete.  I looked and it was an exact match to what had been descibed to me.  I chased it to a corner and tried to kill it with my boot.  Little fucker was fast, tough, and got away.

Fast forward to 2003 (IIRC) and this picture comes out from the Iraq invasion:

http://camelspiders.net/images/large-camel-spider.jpg

WTF?  That's not a camel spider.  Completely different critter.  Well, could be both are called camel spiders, not a scientific term, but that's not the one that leaves a hole in your leg or eats your nose off while you sleep.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Camel spiders and cousins thereof will wreck the Huntsmen. Ever seen them tear through ant mound? 
What do you consider to be a camel spider?  Because the definition seems to have changed with the post-911 crowd.

When I was over there in the 90s they were described to me in detail.  Not too big, maybe about the size of a quarter not stretched out.  Relatively large body, with a hard shell on the body and legs, almost beetle-like.  Tan, but fading to black on the legs.  These were the critters that supposedly ate chunks out of you while you slept.  Everyone in tent city was worried about them.

Then I finally saw one shortly before I left Kuwait.  I was outside the HQ building smoking a cigarette on the steps.  First I heard it, those hard legs made a clicking sound as it walked on the concrete.  I looked and it was an exact match to what had been descibed to me.  I chased it to a corner and tried to kill it with my boot.  Little fucker was fast, tough, and got away.

WTF?  That's not a camel spider.  Completely different critter.  Well, could be both are called camel spiders, not a scientific term, but that's not the one that leaves a hole in your leg or eats your nose off while you sleep.
I'm talking about the solifugae(sp?) family, which is the pic you posted. Stories about them tend to be overblown but they're still pretty badass... I first saw one when I was a little kid in south Texas, then in central Texas, then finally in Afghanistan (same family, slightly different look). 

I've watched them sit on top of ant hills and holes, grab ants when they come out, bite them in half and leave the bodies in a pile. Now and then walking around the yard I'd find piles of ant bodies and know who has been visiting 

One of the reasons they scare people is that they like shade. Sooo... walk out into the bright sun in Afghanistan, see a spider, and it suddenly charges you. You run screaming like a little girl when all he wanted was to chill in your shadow  Then you go tell everybody about deadly attack spiders and the legend grows. 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:33:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No clue what it is yet it is missing a leg!
View Quote
It's a lieutenant Dan spider.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought it was threads like this that are why Goatboay added the bat signal feature?

The best expert on this stuff here is no doubt @DrFrige .
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:00:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First question: are you really in the PHL or is that just a bullshit location code like many here use?
View Quote
He is, or at least, he usually is.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm talking about the solifugae(sp?) family, which is the pic you posted. Stories about them tend to be overblown but they're still pretty badass... I first saw one when I was a little kid in south Texas, then in central Texas, then finally in Afghanistan (same family, slightly different look). 

I've watched them sit on top of ant hills and holes, grab ants when they come out, bite them in half and leave the bodies in a pile. Now and then walking around the yard I'd find piles of ant bodies and know who has been visiting 

One of the reasons they scare people is that they like shade. Sooo... walk out into the bright sun in Afghanistan, see a spider, and it suddenly charges you. You run screaming like a little girl when all he wanted was to chill in your shadow  Then you go tell everybody about deadly attack spiders and the legend grows. 
View Quote
Google>images>"camel spider"...I scroll down several pages and see nothing even close to what we called camel spiders.  I swear you'd think it was an insect, except definitely 8 legs not 6.  I've also heard in more recent years that the "eating holes in you while you sleep" stories were bullshit, but maybe they were talking about these other "camel spiders" (which look MUCH nastier than the type I saw).  Memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure one of the stories was from the same tent city at Al Jaber in Kuwait.  Dude got up in the morning, was walking to the shower tent, felt liquid running down his calf.  Looked down and saw a big hole in his leg.  Supposedly they inject you with a numbing agent so you don't feel them gnawing away at your flesh.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:56:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Google>images>"camel spider"...I scroll down several pages and see nothing even close to what we called camel spiders.  I swear you'd think it was an insect, except definitely 8 legs not 6.  I've also heard in more recent years that the "eating holes in you while you sleep" stories were bullshit, but maybe they were talking about these other "camel spiders" (which look MUCH nastier than the type I saw).  Memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure one of the stories was from the same tent city at Al Jaber in Kuwait.  Dude got up in the morning, was walking to the shower tent, felt liquid running down his calf.  Looked down and saw a big hole in his leg.  Supposedly they inject you with a numbing agent so you don't feel them gnawing away at your flesh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't remember any others being called camel spiders... maybe a regional thing? 

Either way, ouch  I even put a screen into my pee tube overseas so I wouldn't have creepy crawlies like that coming into my tent 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:18:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He's about 6" across +/- a bit. Looks to me like he's related to wolf spiders but I can't be sure. He appears to be a huntsman spider!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4322/35425592613_ba06670d58_b.jpg_DSC2399 by Zack, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/35425592223_4ea757781d_b.jpg_DSC2401 by Zack, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4322/35425591853_f4856a578c_b.jpg_DSC2405 by Zack, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35425591083_fc2c49584f_b.jpg_DSC2413 by Zack, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4296/35425590543_e9f79c031a_b.jpg_DSC2428 by Zack, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35425589963_334708c267_b.jpg_DSC2433 by Zack, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35838728150_d4b86cd2db_b.jpg_DSC2434 by Zack, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4316/35425586603_b4b3f67a68_b.jpg_DSC2436 by Zack, on Flickr

Shooting info

Nikon D500
1/250
ISO was 100 or 200 for most shots.
Nikon 105mm f/2.8D at various apertures from f/11 to f/22 for most shots.
Yongnuo 568ex flash with a ring light adapter

All hand held, shooting overhead, in live view. No focus stacking this time. Still though, I'm quite happy with the shots!
View Quote

Why aren't there pics of the smoldering remains of your house after the inferno?

Ed
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:29:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Shooting info

Nikon D500
1/250
ISO was 100 or 200 for most shots.
Nikon 105mm f/2.8D at various apertures from f/11 to f/22 for most shots.
Yongnuo 568ex flash with a ring light adapter

All hand held, shooting overhead, in live view. No focus stacking this time. Still though, I'm quite happy with the shots!
View Quote

OP, I'm looking at upgrading from my D300 which I've had since 2008. Looking at the D500, D600, D750, D800. Price and features are my concern. Mainly price because I'm on disability.

How long have you had the 500? Is it a big step up from what you had?  Do you think it would be better than my D300?

Ed
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I would scream my head off, and nope the hell outta there.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Great pictures!

And all of you freaking out at the "scary" spider? Please present your man card. We need to take a notch out of it.
View Quote
If I walked in a room and that thing was in the corner I'd be like

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I walked in a room and that thing was in the corner I'd be like

https://media.giphy.com/media/XbSpvtC2PtMWI/giphy.gif
View Quote
Yep. Wall damage can be repaired.

ETA: Holy crap. Zoom in on the beastie's eyes - is that OP's reflection?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seven legged fuckthat!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like an 8-Legged Fuckthat to me.
Seven legged fuckthat!
Came to post that...

beaten like a rented mule.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Great photos! Those have become pretty common in Florida, and seem to prefer to hang out high up on the bedroom wall late at night, expressly for giving my wife heart attacks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

All I can see is the ring light.

I could have edited that out but it's a pain.
View Quote
There's a vaguely human-shaped image in the eyes. Might just be coincidental.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fuck that thing and fuck this thread and fuck the Philippines and fuck bugs and fuck big bugs and fuck huge bugs and fuck anything that crawls and fuck anything that crawls fast and fuck taking pics of huge bugs that crawl possibly fast.
View Quote
Spiders are not "bugs".
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Missing a leg so you know its seen some action.  Amazing pictures.  
View Quote
Awesome pics Zac.  Angry Cajun spiders also have 7 legs. Its like a badge of honor for them. We just found out our entire fire station is infested with brown widows. Yes thats now a typo.  Its a real thing.  pest control guy said they are pretty docile but the bite feels like a wasp sting x 10.   I found one crawling into. a bunker coat during my morining inventory.  I promptly put my stuff in a gear bag. Need to go see what they dont like.    Zac what eats the huntsman in the PI ?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#21]
He looks poised and ready to be your bestest buddy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Forced perspective anyone?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He is, or at least, he usually is.
View Quote
I thought he was in Philadelphia, until I read further.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those solifugids in the photo have been called camel spiders forever, since way before the war.  They can take a chunk out of you.  I think someone gave you a bum steer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#26]
You took pictures of a 6" spider OVERHEAD???

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Those fangs
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Those are some gorgeous photos!!  Thanks for sharing them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Oh, look, it's a seven legged fuckthat 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Awesome pics Zac.  Angry Cajun spiders also have 7 legs. Its like a badge of honor for them. We just found out our entire fire station is infested with brown widows. Yes thats now a typo.  Its a real thing.  pest control guy said they are pretty docile but the bite feels like a wasp sting x 10.   I found one crawling into. a bunker coat during my morining inventory.  I promptly put my stuff in a gear bag. Need to go see what they dont like.    Zac what eats the huntsman in the PI ?
View Quote
You live in a firestation?  Burn the bitch down! Now.

Jesus. Do I have to explain everything?

Ed
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I own the D500 and the D750 currently.

The D500 is hands down the best DX sensor camera on the market, from any manufacturer. It's got class leading autofocus performance, 10fps, and its noise characteristics rival that of the D750.

I bring that up because the D750 is widely regarded as being one of the best performing full frame sensors in Nikon's lineup.

If money is a concern and you want to stick with DX the D7200 and D7500 are not to be ignored.

The D600, 750, and D800 are all full frame cameras. Different animal entirely. I am quite happy with my D750, but I can see the benefits of a D800 or D810. Namely the 'pro' button configurations. The D500 has that, and I believe the D300 had that as well.
View Quote
Thanks Zack.

Ed
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Does anyone else wish you had giant razor sharp spikes protruding from your limbs? Or is it just me? LOL
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Maybe it is a pirate spider OP, kinda looks like a skull and crossbones.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Forced perspective anyone?
View Quote
I'm aware of that, two spiders held close to the camera in the Iraq photo.  But look at the pliers up top.  Those are still big-ass spiders.  And completely different species from what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP's spider has a good amount of venom in it. Look at those fangs...
Great shots OP.
View Quote
The venom isn't bad really but those fangs hurt. I got nailed by one working in a  lumber yard. I was flipping out thinking I was gonna die but it was about like a Yellow Jacket.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You live in a firestation?  Burn the bitch down! Now.

Jesus. Do I have to explain everything?

Ed
View Quote
Ill get picks tomorrow.  I go in for a 24 hr shift with those bastards. They have not entered the bunk room...... yet
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Poor man's macro. Take the zoom lens off, turn it around, and hold it against the camera body.

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here's one I caught on video in Qatar. Those fuckers are fast. That's me screaming like a little girl when it ran over my foot.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHiKViys_Eo[/youtube]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Very nice pictures.

I imagine the spider is long gone, but if it's still around, can you get a super-close up of the eyes? That's a fascinating structure.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:04:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:48:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File
South Louisiana Brown Recluse or Brown Widow.  

Spun this nest on the bumper last night
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#50]
When I was stationed at Osan AB, South Korea, I used to do building checks when I worked mid shifts.  One of the stops I made was at the old RED HORSE compound.  All we had to do there was make sure the gate was secured because that unit was in the process of moving to Guam.  Most nights all I did was pull up to the gate and look through a loophole into the compound and then check if the gate was locked.  The lock and chain ran through the same loophole I had to peek through.  For the previous six months I'd been in country I'd done what was described without incident.  

Then one early summer night I drew the patrol that needed to check the compound gate.  All was well until I went to look through the loophole and just mere inches from my face was what now appears to be a Huntsmans Spider just like the one in the OP's pics.  I will not lie, when I stuck my face up to the loophole to check the lock, that fucking spider twitched and moved a bit right in front of my face.  I didn't scream but I jumped back and out of instinct went for my pistol.  Once I regained my composure, I did a poop check in my drawers, marked the compound as secure and sped away in my cruiser.  Thankfully before I had to work that police patrol again, that compound was finally emptied out and all it's buildings were torn down to make way for new barracks.  Hopefully that damned spider met it's demise in the demolition that followed this incident.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top