User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A friend of mine who is getting up in age landed his Mooney with the landing gear up.
View Quote
Checklists are for amateurs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A friend of mine who is getting up in age landed his Mooney with the landing gear up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's getting a little senile.   Happens to the best of us.
An Air Force B-1 combat crew did too.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This picture should help. 20L was the runway Han Solo was supposed to land on, instead he landed on the taxiway.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/02/15/10/3D3D7FF900000578-4225082-image-a-2_1487155909455.jpg
View Quote
The alleged flight path into (and comically over) the jet in this illustration is extremely exaggerated relative to the photos and video of the incident.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Flying though hyperspace isn't like dusting crops boy!

LOL
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]
No property damage and nobody was killed. I don't see the problem. Tough crowd.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This picture should help. 20L was the runway Han Solo was supposed to land on, instead he landed on the taxiway.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/02/15/10/3D3D7FF900000578-4225082-image-a-2_1487155909455.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other than sitting in a passenger seat, I am unfamiliar with flying. Can you please explain what the series of photos show?

Thanks,

JPK

But he's Han Solo.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Really not that big of a mistake. It happens a lot.

Aviator
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
This was a relatively minor incident. A mere "airborne deviation". Nobody hurt, no metal bent. This is his first fuck-up and he fully cooperated with the FAA. He's a highly experienced and proficient pilot that holds and maintains multiple type ratings. I seriously doubt much will come of this. Between the NASA form and the bevy of aviation attorneys he can unleash at the drop of a hat, I'm bettin he'll continue to fly. Right up until he gets himself killed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]
It happens, these guy landed at Peter O Knight in Tampa, instead of MacDill AFB, and it wasn't the first time it has happened.

Oops
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Man he sounded REALLY tired, even on the pre-fuckup radio calls.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes, this happens albeit rarely. A more common incident is landing at geographically close but wrong airports or taking off from the wrong runway. From comments of local pilots, John Wayne is laid out in an odd way. That taxiway is where a runway would normally be and vice versa. The taxiway runs down the middle. Some locals in news articles said the airport has had incidents like this happen before and will happen again.

Another problem is the residential encroachment and noise abatement. Take-offs from some runways can be a bit different. Hard full throttle and a high angle after take-off to climb then cut the throttle and glide over the houses.

Also, Ford may have not seen the 737 due to the longer nose and landing approach on his aircraft until he was past it.  If that's the case it's less serious, however if he saw the jet *before* landing, he should have aborted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So flying right over a taxiing 737 full of passengers is an honest mistake?
Yes, this happens albeit rarely. A more common incident is landing at geographically close but wrong airports or taking off from the wrong runway. From comments of local pilots, John Wayne is laid out in an odd way. That taxiway is where a runway would normally be and vice versa. The taxiway runs down the middle. Some locals in news articles said the airport has had incidents like this happen before and will happen again.

Another problem is the residential encroachment and noise abatement. Take-offs from some runways can be a bit different. Hard full throttle and a high angle after take-off to climb then cut the throttle and glide over the houses.

Also, Ford may have not seen the 737 due to the longer nose and landing approach on his aircraft until he was past it.  If that's the case it's less serious, however if he saw the jet *before* landing, he should have aborted.
Umm no it doesn't.  I don't see anything unusual about the layout.

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#12]
He fucked up. He knows it. Quit trying to justify it.

That said, it's not like everyone is perfect. He's got a pretty damn good record.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

An Air Force B-1 combat crew did too.  
View Quote
Yea I think they were coming back from a long bombing mission or something like that. They were tired ready for bed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#14]
AGAIN?  He needs to sell his aircraft.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#15]
He made the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs . . . cut him some slack.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Great, kid!  Don't get penisey.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#17]
FAA ruling - Will not be fined or lose his license.

FAA ruling
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've reviewed that crash at their ARFF training school. That was a series of "broken links" in the chain that lead to a very unfortunate crash.
Tower guy never actually looked at the aircraft before clearing it for takeoff. Pilots got confused by poorly designed intersection and lined up on wrong RWY. 
It lead to reconstruction of those (2) runways IIRC.

I don't recall their being any construction equipment involved as another poster wrote.
They just ran outa runway and ended up in the field/tree-line after running out of pavement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a small passenger Jet at the airport in Lexington KY take off on the wrong run way a few years back.  It was too short killed all but the copilot I believe.
I've reviewed that crash at their ARFF training school. That was a series of "broken links" in the chain that lead to a very unfortunate crash.
Tower guy never actually looked at the aircraft before clearing it for takeoff. Pilots got confused by poorly designed intersection and lined up on wrong RWY. 
It lead to reconstruction of those (2) runways IIRC.

I don't recall their being any construction equipment involved as another poster wrote.
They just ran outa runway and ended up in the field/tree-line after running out of pavement.
Correct, no construction equipment involved. They hit the ground and trees.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I remember that, slammed into some construction equipment.

Wrong fucking runway is a big fucking problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a small passenger Jet at the airport in Lexington KY take off on the wrong run way a few years back.  It was too short killed all but the copilot I believe.
I remember that, slammed into some construction equipment.

Wrong fucking runway is a big fucking problem.
No construction equipment, just ground and trees.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
FAA ruling - Will not be fined or lose his license.

FAA ruling
View Quote
A predictable outcome really. Glad to hear it too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187084/jw-173123.png  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So flying right over a taxiing 737 full of passengers is an honest mistake?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187084/jw-173123.png  
That's not the view on approach, which is the view that would be relevant to the incident. 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#22]
This reinforces a few things I have been taught and have read/watched.

1- ALWAYS be flying the airplane.  Everything else is secondary.  Even at cruise / on autopilot, you are in command and should not be behind the airplane or conditions.

2- ALWAYS assume the other guy does NOT see you.

3- ALWAYS be aware that there are phases of flight where vision is obscured; yours or others.  Especially during landing or takeoff.  Minor deviations to change your perspective can save your life.

4- ALWAYS be planning for your next emergency.  Look straight down.  Glance down behind you.  Look down left.  Look down right.  Look ahead.  Where can you land?  Look at your instruments.  Look around the sky.  

5- ALWAYS do # 4 again.  Until it is habit.

6- TRUST your instruments.  But look out the damn windows.

2/3 saved my ass one day.  We were in a 172 climbing out of KRYY to the west and had been in a sustained climb for a minute or two.  We heard a call by a Bonanza (regular tail) inbound for landing from the west.  Pushed the nose down for a moment and, lo and behold, there is Mr. Bonanza descending right fucking at us, previously hidden behind the cowling.  A much harder push and break left got us out of his way a couple of seconds before he passed through our airspace.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Punch it, Chewie!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Checklists are for amateurs.
View Quote
Saves wear on the tires. Those things are expensive.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I had some Walmart folks tell me years ago that Sam Walton used to visit his local stores by flying his small personal airplane.  Apparently he had a habit of landing at the wrong airports so someone was finally able to convince him to stop flying.

Not how true the story is.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#26]
No wonder why his character was killed off in Stars War.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
he needs to hire pilots to fly his planes and relegate himself to flying 2nd seat...
hopefully his celebrity status won't cut any ice with the FAA
imo
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#28]
double
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Regardless, he'd likely only be looking at remedial training at best and a 709 ride at the worst.

Landing on the wrong runway or even the taxiway isn't exactly an uncommon mistake, even with two pilot professional aircrews.
View Quote
That's what my pilot friends have told me. Ford's incident wasn't the show stopper the uninformed are making it to be.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Since the beginning he's always hated Star Wars from what I've read. He's always liked the Indiana Jones series of movies instead.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Since the beginning he's always hated Star Wars from what I've read. He's always liked the Indiana Jones series of movies instead.
View Quote
Except for the second one.  Even he probably knows it sucks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He didn't like Blade Runner. But, supposedly, that was because of his interactions with Ridley Scott.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top