Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 63
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Need some input from those with more p90x experience.

I have had to kind off take two weeks to do some unavoidable things.1.5 to 2 weeks ago was supposed to be my recovery week but a vacation and I had to help move my mom & sisters businesses really got in the way and just made it impossible. While I wasn't lazy, I was only able to run one day. I did plenty of physical activity in those times, moving hay, walking, riding horses; a lot of it was not true cardio.

My question is this. Should I just pick up week 4 or do the recovery week now?

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I have had to kind off take two weeks to do some unavoidable things.1.5 to 2 weeks ago was supposed to be my recovery week but a vacation and I had to help move my mom & sisters businesses really got in the way and just made it impossible. While I wasn't lazy, I was only able to run one day. I did plenty of physical activity in those times, moving hay, walking, riding horses; a lot of it was not true cardio.

Jump back in to week 4, I'd consider what you did a recovery.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I'd do.  And don't let your workouts get in the way of life.  We're working out to live better, not living to workout.  Don't get lazy and lay on the couch drinking beer, but you were active and moving.  it's not p90x, but it counts.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I'd do.  And don't let your workouts get in the way of life.  We're working out to live better, not living to workout.  Don't get lazy and lay on the couch drinking beer, but you were active and moving.  it's not p90x, but it counts.

You are both right. And that is what I was leaning towards. But I thought I would run it by some folks that know more than I to see if there was a major merit in catching up on that week. Thanks for the advice folks!

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
what equipment do yall use? pull up bar, db's etc etc ?
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I use a pull up bar made out of black pipe hanging from my basement rafters, pushup stands I made from plumbing pipe, nothing but the finest!

I use bands for most stuff (SKLZ brand with the hard interchangeable handles), but I have some smaller barbells for the moves where they're difficult. Don't have the money or space for weights and I find the quality bands are every bit as effective - you can theoretically go up to 150lbs per arm...more than I'll ever curl.

I also have medicine balls, stability balls and a foam roller all of which get used extensively in 1 on 1 and X2.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use a pull up bar made out of black pipe hanging from my basement rafters, pushup stands I made from plumbing pipe, nothing but the finest!

I use bands for most stuff (SKLZ brand with the hard interchangeable handles), but I have some smaller barbells for the moves where they're difficult. Don't have the money or space for weights and I find the quality bands are every bit as effective - you can theoretically go up to 150lbs per arm...more than I'll ever curl.

I also have medicine balls, stability balls and a foam roller all of which get used extensively in 1 on 1 and X2.

This is my setup other than I got a deal on a school upgrading their dumbbells, so I don't use bands a lot.  I do use the pullup assist quite a bit.  Some of the workouts that call for 100 or so pullups make that thing pretty handy.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#8]
which version of p90 is the best? p90x, p90x+, insanity to many?
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#9]
p90x2 is probably the most well rounded.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yup, if I were only gonna do one of them, that'd be it.

But it's nice to have them all because when you can cherry-pick and build hybrids you really have some great workouts and they don't get stale...you can keep on your routine without the "starting over" feeling. I especially like having all the 1 on 1's to sprinkle in, because they're focused and there's so many of them.

Link Posted: 6/19/2013 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#11]
30 day pics. I just started the 6th week of working out.

vs

First set of pics

Can tell a huge difference in in arms and legs especially. The ole gut is smaller. The clothes are fitting much much better. Gotta say posting these embarassing pics are definite motivation. Post some more pics in at the next off week.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Week 4 in my second round of P90x.  Results just keep getting better.  Best shape of my life.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I am going to "slightly" disagree with this.  P90X would better if somebody wanted to build more muscle while getting lean.  The exercises will be more familiar and easier for beginners to learn to do correctly.  P90X2 seems to work more on balance and stabilization muscles than P90X so you are correct that P90X2 is more well rounded, if by well rounded you mean that it works supportive and balance muscles along with major muscle groups.  But the answer to the "which is best" question should take into account what your goals are.  FWIW, if you like exercise videos and are more interested in building muscle, Beachbody Beast is better than either X or X2, but it requires more equipment.  

Just to be clear, I have completed P90X around 5 times, P90X2 twice and Beast twice.  When I can fund it, I am going to buy Beachbody Les Mills Pump and try that out as well.  I much prefer working out to videos than I do simply lifting or working out on my own.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going to "slightly" disagree with this.  P90X would better if somebody wanted to build more muscle while getting lean.  The exercises will be more familiar and easier for beginners to learn to do correctly.  P90X2 seems to work more on balance and stabilization muscles than P90X so you are correct that P90X2 is more well rounded, if by well rounded you mean that it works supportive and balance muscles along with major muscle groups.  But the answer to the "which is best" question should take into account what your goals are.  FWIW, if you like exercise videos and are more interested in building muscle, Beachbody Beast is better than either X or X2, but it requires more equipment.  

Just to be clear, I have completed P90X around 5 times, P90X2 twice and Beast twice.  When I can fund it, I am going to buy Beachbody Les Mills Pump and try that out as well.  I much prefer working out to videos than I do simply lifting or working out on my own.

You're probably right.  If someone is going to start and is in relatively poor shape, X2 is really gonna suck.  The balance work and core training might be a little much.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Today was my first day of P90X classic. Holy shit! 89 more days to go. I am really out of shape since I broke my back 2.5 years ago. Let's see how this goes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm back on the P90X bandwagon as well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been on the bike the last month or so.  Next week I'm gonna bike 3x/week in the morning and start back up on X2.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I just saw a thing on the news saying a guy blames P90X on almost killing him (he had a liver disorder and he is blaming P90X), in the same news cast they were talking about how "one thing they do in P90X are Olympic lifts" ..... I've done P90X several times and I guess I missed those haha they were showing how to do an alternative to the Olympic lifts... The whole time I was like

I've been working out at the gym in the morning with guys I work with and a personal trainer, but I'm thinking of starting P90X back up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I just saw a thing on the news saying a guy blames P90X on almost killing him (he had a liver disorder and he is blaming P90X), in the same news cast they were talking about how "one thing they do in P90X are Olympic lifts" ..... I've done P90X several times and I guess I missed those haha they were showing how to do an alternative to the Olympic lifts... The whole time I was like

I've been working out at the gym in the morning with guys I work with and a personal trainer, but I'm thinking of starting P90X back up.

Yeah, read an article about that dipshit. Stupid imbeciles could fuck up a wet dream, I swear.

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow long thread wish it was still active thinking about doing a round of P90X I just completed a round of the Solitary Fitness workout and it was ok.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow long thread wish it was still active thinking about doing a round of P90X I just completed a round of the Solitary Fitness workout and it was ok.
View Quote

This thread would be more active if people like you started posting in it.

The few of us that are still around are tired of telling each other the same things we told each other 75 pages ago.  We'd be happy to tell those things to you though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Yup, I'm still doing it but after cycle after cycle, there ain't much to say....keep pushing play.

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#24]
well alright p90X it is...was trying to decide between Tapout XT, P90X and the new Les Mills workout gonna start next Monday and just do my solitary fitness up till then I just hope I don't lose any of the gains I have made with this workout!
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

well alright p90X it is...was trying to decide between Tapout XT, P90X and the new Les Mills workout gonna start next Monday and just do my solitary fitness up till then I just hope I don't lose any of the gains I have made with this workout!
View Quote

You won't lose a thing with P90X...it's kind of structured so if you have the fitness level to up the intensity it's there to do. I have done cycles of it, then other workouts, and never lost anything.

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd do the p90x workout before tapout.  Tapout is a pretty intense workout that will definitely push you to failure.  P90x is pretty well rounded and a good starter.  I don't know anything about the Les Mills program.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Tony Horton is a BEAST.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Serious question. Can fat people in horrible shape do this?
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd start with power 90 and go from there.  The programs kind of build on each other.  You can do the more advanced workouts, but it would be pretty challenging.

And.....How fat and out of shape are you?
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone can, in that you start off by pacing yourself, by:

- hitting pause (not stop) when you're too winded
- less reps
- lower intensity
- alternative movements
- less/no weight
- etc

Keeping up with the videos is tough for anyone beginning - but that's the point.  

It may sound/seem silly, but recording your progress (reps/weights/etc) can really help keep you motivated - you won't always see improvement in the mirror, but your notes will often show the more important stats.
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

- less reps

- lower intensity

- alternative movements

- less/no weight

- etc

Keeping up with the videos is tough for anyone beginning - but that's the point.  

It may sound/seem silly, but recording your progress (reps/weights/etc) can really help keep you motivated - you won't always see improvement in the mirror, but your notes will often show the more important stats.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

- less reps

- lower intensity

- alternative movements

- less/no weight

- etc

This. Everything has a modification that can be done no matter your shape. Pushups can be started by pushing leaning against a wall, then to on your knees, till you're able to do unassisted.

Pullups can be done on a chair, or using bands, until you can lift your body weight.

Body movement exercises can be modified all sorts of ways. There are some advanced moves that might have to be skipped or substituted, you'll probably know these instinctively.

Big thing is doing what you can and improving on it. As long as you improve, you'll get there. Ain't gonna make you look like an underwear model in 90 days, but each cycle will show dramatic improvement.

Link Posted: 8/17/2013 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'd start with power 90 and go from there.  The programs kind of build on each other.  You can do the more advanced workouts, but it would be pretty challenging.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put it this way. 5'3" and 218lbs
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would really recommend power 90.  You could do p90x, but it would take a lot of modifying, and I'd hate to see anyone get discouraged because they can't keep up with the studs on the videos.  It will still be tough, but you'll get it done.  The first thing you need to do is look at what you're eating.

I'd recommend you get on myfitnesspal.com and get your intake figured out.  If you want to go high tech you can get the bodymedia link that they use on "The Biggest Loser".  These are things that will help you be accountable to yourself.  If you don't use them or you aren't honest with them they won't care.  They'll let you stay fat.
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Well day one begins tomorrow decided to do the x stretch after like 4 hours of yardwork instead of my daily yoga program idk might still do yoga later but I think that covered most of it... I love those dreya forearm stretches and the kenpo hip extender stretch!
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I would really recommend power 90.  You could do p90x, but it would take a lot of modifying, and I'd hate to see anyone get discouraged because they can't keep up with the studs on the videos.  It will still be tough, but you'll get it done.  The first thing you need to do is look at what you're eating.
I'd recommend you get on myfitnesspal.com and get your intake figured out.  If you want to go high tech you can get the bodymedia link that they use on "The Biggest Loser".  These are things that will help you be accountable to yourself.  If you don't use them or you aren't honest with them they won't care.  They'll let you stay fat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. I'm doing Power 90 now as prep for P90x & to see how I liked Tony's programs. It's like $75 on Amazon and you only need some dumbbells & a chair to do them. Or it comes with resistance bands if you just want to use those instead of weights. Not a lot of high impact stuff so us big guys don't hurt ourselves. I started out at 6'5" 300lbs. Just do what you can and try to push yourself  a little more each day. Oh and you don't have to do the meal plan & shakes and stuff if you don't want to. Just eat right and drink water.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Well hit the chest and back today day 1 went pretty good for some reason I expected all bodyweight exercises and now I know I need some heavier dumbbells for the back exercises I hit some shadowboxing during the rest break and really got a good sweat on Solitary Fitness and Felon Fitness really helped me do a better job...  Got more yardwork tonight and ab ripper x which will hopefully be my strong thing!
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I didn't make it entirely thru all the reps on ab ripper x but I did finish I do crunches and assorted ab stuff everyday and that was not easy.  Screw the yardwork gonna hit 20 min of yoga and relax the rest of the night.  Might even hit a Epsom salt soak so I will be ready for work and plyometrics tomorrow!  KPP!
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This. I'm doing Power 90 now as prep for P90x & to see how I liked Tony's programs. It's like $75 on Amazon and you only need some dumbbells & a chair to do them. Or it comes with resistance bands if you just want to use those instead of weights. Not a lot of high impact stuff so us big guys don't hurt ourselves. I started out at 6'5" 300lbs. Just do what you can and try to push yourself  a little more each day. Oh and you don't have to do the meal plan & shakes and stuff if you don't want to. Just eat right and drink water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Well it official day 2 is done didn't finish all reps they did heck I think even the dude with the prosthetic leg beat me.  Gonna hit the yoga hard tonight and stretch the shins like crazy they are screaming!
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well it official day 2 is done didn't finish all reps they did heck I think even the dude with the prosthetic leg beat me.  Gonna hit the yoga hard tonight and stretch the shins like crazy they are screaming!
View Quote

Don't worry man.  Everyone gets beat by the one legged guy at first.  Stick with it and you'll beat him.......Eventually.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Well shoulders and arms went really good I freaking love the side tri raises, ab ripper x I would say I did 3/4 of it tonight a little better than last time, shin splint stretches and 30 min of yoga and i'm beat!
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well shoulders and arms went really good I freaking love the side tri raises, ab ripper x I would say I did 3/4 of it tonight a little better than last time, shin splint stretches and 30 min of yoga and i'm beat!
View Quote

Good job.  You'll notice that you get a little more intense as it goes on.  What you think is badass now, will not be in 3 months.  You'll be hardcore.
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Wow yoga X was no joke!  Day 4 done!!!  Bring on the legs and back!
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Day 5 done legs and back, ab ripper x and some extra yoga!
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Rotated kenpo x for x stretch tonight legs were shot will hit kenpo tomorrorw!
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got my call from the doc on the MRI I had today on my knee.  I have a slight tear in the cartilage behind my patella and will have to have it scoped now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Knee has been scoped and should be back at it in a few days.  Been almost two weeks now.  Much better than before.

And this is a bump to keep this thread from dying.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Knee has been scoped and should be back at it in a few days.  Been almost two weeks now.  Much better than before.

And this is a bump to keep this thread from dying.
View Quote

This thread will not archive, the mods have it set to stay active.

I just finished week one of Body Beast and I am impressed thus far.   I was never this sore or tired after a workout with P90x.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#49]
stuz -- just saw the posts about your knee.  Ouch.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Time to bring this thread back from the dead. Day one down, eighty-nine to go.
Page / 63
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top