Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey I can squat!

I hit a PR this week.  We won't talk about how much it was that is unimportant.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, my CK numbers are normal again.  

What kind of workout do I need to trim up and get "in shape"?
View Quote

I feel like we went over this...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He doesn't actually want advice. He wants people to tell him to keep doing whatever crazy combination of nonsense he's doing. So to the OP, in order to get in shape, you should probably back off to 75 curls in a workout. Don't do any squats, deadlifts, rows, or anything crazy like that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

He doesn't actually want advice. He wants people to tell him to keep doing whatever crazy combination of nonsense he's doing. So to the OP, in order to get in shape, you should probably back off to 75 curls in a workout. Don't do any squats, deadlifts, rows, or anything crazy like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then calf raises to infinity is the answer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. No, I'm actually looking for someone to write me up a program that would address my body needs.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, next question. I do not have a squat rack only Powerblocks. Would doing lunges be enough to build legs?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yup. No, I'm actually looking for someone to write me up a program that would address my body needs.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most here aren't going to write a workout program for you. Most of us don't even write our OWN workout programs. Why would we? Guys a lot smarter than us have already done the leg work. That's why we point you in the right direction, if you'll listen.

No, lunges are not the same as squats. You'd be better off making some sandbags and squatting with that if you won't pick up a rack.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
k, what equipment do you have, and what's your budget for new equipment?

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Precor Eliptical, Total Gym, 90lbs Powerblocks, and Powerblock incline bench. That is all I have and no room for more. Again, I have a bad back. An injury will screw me up for months. No Squats.  I also don't know why for some, squats seem to be the one trick pony they can think up. Again, I wan to lose weight, tone up, and be healty. I have a hot wife, and a life outside of a gym. Apparently, some can't think outside of what they do.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a Precor Eliptical, Total Gym, 90lbs Powerblocks, and Powerblock incline bench. That is all I have and no room for more. Again, I have a bad back. An injury will screw me up for months. No Squats.  I also don't know why for some, squats seem to be the one trick pony they can think up. Again, I wan to lose weight, tone up, and be healty. I have a hot wife, and a life outside of a gym. Apparently, some can't think outside of what they do.  
View Quote

Dang. I would love to help you. You sound like an awesome guy with an awesome life.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Dang. I would love to help you. You sound like an awesome guy with an awesome life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be afraid by my stature. I am near godlike but need refinement. You muscle boys are young. I'm 46. Have arthritis of the spine.  I need a mild workout that the goal is not weight gain.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't be afraid by my stature. I am near godlike but need refinement. You muscle boys are young. I'm 46. Have arthritis of the spine.  I need a mild workout that the goal is not weight gain.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only workouts I know are for young guys to get swole as a motherfucker.

I've got nothing for a fat, lazy old guy that likes to insult me as he makes excuses as to why he can't do something.

Stick with the insults and can't do attitude.

My feeling is too hurt to continue.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#13]
If you won't do a 5x5 or Starting Strength, then just do P90x. Follow the meal plan. Throw in some HIIT. Drink nothing but water. Walk an hour a day, nonstop.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Calf raises, shrugs and curls to infinity.  Make sure to kip them all. At least 10 hours a day on the eliptical, try to kip it too. That should get you where you want to be.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Holy shit, never heard of it.

Something new to worry about.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't worry about it.

You're not crossfitting or starting your back/bi day with 100 sets of curls.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't worry about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry about it.

OR IS HE?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OR IS HE?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry about it.

OR IS HE?

I DID do an accessory arm day I read on T-Nation one time. 1000 reps.

ETA: https://www.t-nation.com/training/1000-rep-arm-workout
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry about it.

OR IS HE?

SEE!
 It's always the ones with the WOD posted on their garage doors.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

SEE!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry about it.

OR IS HE?

SEE!

Guilty.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Alright OP, here you go.

I went from mid +20% body fat @ 205 to a skinny 10-12% body fat @ 170 in three months using this with a pair of 30# dumbbells and trying to stay around 1,800 calories a day.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

I'd finish with 20 minutes on a heavy bag.  Would try and do something physical on off days, quick mile run, etc.

It was great being back to high school weight, until it really dawned on me, that at 6'1" and 170 I was a skinny, weak phaggot.  So then I invested $500 on a 300# barbell/weight set, squat rack and a book called starting strength.  Now I'm master of the fucking universe.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
OR IS HE?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't worry about it.

OR IS HE?
I see where this is going.  Make me an infomercial.  Your avatar is really annoying too Kalk.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Alright OP, here you go.
I went from mid +20% body fat @ 205 to a skinny 10-12% body fat @ 170 in three months using this with a pair of 30# dumbbells and trying to stay around 1,800 calories a day.
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
I'd finish with 20 minutes on a heavy bag.  Would try and do something physical on off days, quick mile run, etc.
It was great being back to high school weight, until it really dawned on me, that at 6'1" and 170 I was a skinny, weak phaggot.  So then I invested $500 on a 300# barbell/weight set, squat rack and a book called starting strength.  Now I'm master of the fucking universe.
View Quote
Thank you.  This looks interesting. I see you also speak and listen to english and understood what I needed and not some hemorrhoidal, zitty ass GD fantasy of increasing sexual stamina with squats.   Thanks  Very informative as well...

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I see where this is going.  Make me an infomercial.  Your avatar is really annoying too Kalk.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry about it.

OR IS HE?

I didn't feel all that great when I posed for it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I can tell you like to do a lot of reps, so let me recommend this one for you.

10k KBS Challenge

They are russian swings so you could even use your power blocks.  Build good core strength and burn off some of that tubby.

You definitely still need to take the advice on tracking your diet, if you don't take any other advice out of this thread.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Page fucking 4 already.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, I know this is a not-so-subtle dig on me. That's cool.

Squats are great, you know why? It works the largest muscles in your body. It works core, back, legs, etc...The best way to lose weight and "tone" is to build muscle which in turn burns more fat (Tone is a made up bullshit word btw. Tone = losing fat and building muscle). One of the best ways to do that is with big compound movements like squats and deadlifts.

Hey buddy, you can do whatever the fuck you want to. I really don't care. You come in here and ask for advice, ignore it, then get all pissy about it.

46 isn't old either by the way. You don't need any special workout- barring the back injury which you never explained....and could possibly be HELPED by strengthening the back. But I wouldn't know since you never explained it.

Quoted:
I see you also speak and listen to english and understood what I needed and not some hemorrhoidal, zitty ass GD fantasy of increasing sexual stamina with squats.   Thanks  Very informative as well...  

Yep, thats me alright.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Squats are great, you know why? It works the largest muscles in your body. It works core, back, legs, etc...The best way to lose weight and "tone" is to build muscle which in turn burns more fat (Tone is a made up bullshit word btw. Tone = losing fat and building muscle). One of the best ways to do that is with big compound movements like squats and deadlifts.

Hey buddy, you can do whatever the fuck you want to. I really don't care. You come in here and ask for advice, ignore it, then get all pissy about it.

46 isn't old either by the way. You don't need any special workout- barring the back injury which you never explained....and could possibly be HELPED by strengthening the back. But I wouldn't know since you never explained it.

Yep, thats me alright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I see you also speak and listen to english and understood what I needed and not some hemorrhoidal, zitty ass GD fantasy of increasing sexual stamina with squats.   Thanks  Very informative as well...  

Yep, thats me alright.

He totally nailed you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#29]
UPS driver for 11 years. Overall, my back is OK when I do light working out...squats are very taxiing on the body. Sure a few squats are fine, but surrounding a workout program with focus on squats is not realistic for me.  Maybe if I had started when I was in my 20's, being 46 and doing squats is not so bad.  

L4-5 S1 herniations have healed but disk degeneration is present-causes foot neuropathies. I will put a sock on the wrong way and I'm fucked for a week.  Mid back arthritis which almost always becomes a problem with repetitive exercise, which is why I really do not use the Total Gym.  Cervical 3-4 Osteophytes which become painful at times.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
UPS driver for 11 years. Overall, my back is OK when I do light working out...squats are very taxiing on the body. Sure a few squats are fine, but surrounding a workout program with focus on squats is not realistic for me.  Maybe if I had started when I was in my 20's, being 46 and doing squats is not so bad.  

L4-5 S1 herniations have healed but disk degeneration is present-causes foot neuropathies. I will put a sock on the wrong way and I'm fucked for a week.  Mid back arthritis which almost always becomes a problem with repetitive exercise, which is why I really do not use the Total Gym.  Cervical 3-4 Osteophytes which become painful at times.  
View Quote

A proper diet is what you are looking for then.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

strengthening your core seems to be a vital need for you.  The weaker your core, the worse your back is going to get
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
strengthening your core seems to be a vital need for you.  The weaker your core, the worse your back is going to get
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will elliptical help with this?  i do not have the arms on my elip.  What other exercises?  Thanks

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

-Squats ARE taxing. That's why they are so effective
-"maybe if I had started in my 20s" is bullshit. I've seen and even worked with a few 70+ year old women that squat to the best of their ability.
-IME a healed herniation *shouldn't* prevent (careful) squats and deadlifts. I've knows at least one person with degenerative disks that could also squat fine. I don't know anything about your other issues, so I won't pretend to offer advice on them.
-Diet s going to be HUGE for you if the other back issues are going to severely limit your workouts.

Last thing I'll say is that for a 46 year old guy who gave himself rhabdo by doing too many curls maybe you should consider the fact that you actually don't know anything about fitness and could stand to take advice from someone else- yes, even on ARF. And MAYBE...just because you don't like the advice you got doesn't mean it's coming from a zitty teenager who doesn't know shit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Will elliptical help with this?  i do not have the arms on my elip.  What other exercises?  Thanks  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol no.

Core is abdominals and the various muscles in the back.... ellipital won't work any of them.

I'll let someone else explain movements that will.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

-"maybe if I had started in my 20s" is bullshit. I've seen and even worked with a few 70+ year old women that squat to the best of their ability.

-IME a healed herniation *shouldn't* prevent (careful) squats and deadlifts. I've knows at least one person with degenerative disks that could also squat fine. I don't know anything about your other issues, so I won't pretend to offer advice on them.

-Diet s going to be HUGE for you if the other back issues are going to severely limit your workouts.

Last thing I'll say is that for a 46 year old guy who gave himself rhabdo by doing too many curls maybe you should consider the fact that you actually don't know anything about fitness and could stand to take advice from someone else- yes, even on ARF. And MAYBE...just because you don't like the advice you got doesn't mean it's coming from a zitty teenager who doesn't know shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I was vey athletic in my youth and do know quit a bit about lifting-old school. My reasons for asking on the athletic form is that much has changed in fitness and my post was about Rhabdo NOT necessarily working out, as it evolved into.  I got married, quit smoking 5 years ago, and gained almost 50lbs, 35, which I have lost. I am about 20 away from my goal.  I got Rhabdo from overexertion.  Many who are REAL athletes get it as well...so maybe you know nothing about Rhabdo?  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Actually, I was vey athletic in my youth and do know quit a bit about lifting-old school. My reasons for asking on the athletic form is that much has changed in fitness and my post was about Rhabdo NOT necessarily working out, as it evolved into.  I got married, quit smoking 5 years ago, and gained almost 50lbs, 35, which I have lost. I am about 20 away from my goal.  I got Rhabdo from overexertion.  Many who are REAL athletes get it as well...so maybe you know nothing about Rhabdo?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that must be it, maybe someday I'll be a real athlete like you and can get rhabdo too.

You're clearly the expert and don't need my advice. Just keep doing ellipticals for your core and curls and you'll be gtg.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the pictures you posted it looks like you need to lose another  40#s.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that would put me at 175. I am 5'10.  LOL.  My goal is 190 so 25lbs will be fine.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
that would put me at 175. I am 5'10.  LOL.  My goal is 190 so 25lbs will be fine.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

175# sounds about right. I thought you wanted to be tone.

I am 6' I would like to be #195s.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a large frame.  Fine for a BMI but not good for me. I looked skinny, malnutrition at 180
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a large frame.  Fine for a BMI but not good for me. I looked skinny, malnutrition at 180
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#42]

Im the last frame
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#43]
All I can say about back pain is that when I was younger, I couldn't even stand for 15 minutes before my back started hating me. I'd say it was a combination of not training, sitting too much and carrying my back pack on one shoulder because that was the "cool" thing to do at the time.

Started squatting and deadlifting, now I can stand all day with no pain. It's all about proper form. Focus on making every rep perfect and never go too heavy that it fucks your form.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
All I can say about back pain is that when I was younger, I couldn't even stand for 15 minutes before my back started hating me. I'd say it was a combination of not training, sitting too much and carrying my back pack on one shoulder because that was the "cool" thing to do at the time.

Started squatting and deadlifting, now I can stand all day with no pain. It's all about proper form. Focus on making every rep perfect and never go too heavy that it fucks your form.
View Quote

He doesn't want to get bulky, bro.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know man, it's tough. Start lifting and a month later you're Ronnie Coleman. And by that, I mean black.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I know man, it's tough. Start lifting and a month later you're Ronnie Coleman. And by that, I mean black.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happened to me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's always more fat than you think.  I thought I had 20 to lose and then lost 40.  Yeah 190 would be good, but just losing to 190 is not the same thing as losing all/most of the fat and then building muscle to 190.  You're better off getting rid of all the flab and then starting from scratch on building muscle to get to 190.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not real sure why I ever venture out of our thread, but then a gem like this presents itself.

I wish Roland would hurry up and be drinking age already. Poor bastard just got his driver's license the other day, which is cool because now I have a ride to the gym to do squats and bro up a notch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not real sure why I ever venture out of our thread, but then a gem like this presents itself.

I wish Roland would hurry up and be drinking age already. Poor bastard just got his driver's license the other day, which is cool because now I have a ride to the gym to do squats and bro up a notch.

Maybe on my 21st birthday you can take me out to the bars and I can try to lose my virginity!

OP- there's a thread called "show us your progress" look in there to see what you can still accomplish even though you're "so old". Check out Bud and Treetop.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top