Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To believe everything and everyone just spontaneously came from nothing requires a level of belief beyond that of any religion.
View Quote
I believe I just witnessed the oxymoron transcend into a higher plane of existence.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a Genius level IQ from a state administered test.  According to our generally accepted method of testing intelligence I should reside in the 99.99%.  At 17 I had read one book cover to cover in my life but still made a 36 in reading on the ACT.  

I believe in God and creationism.  

Therefore since I am clearly smarter than most people I am correct and all other beliefs are wrong.

Saying that makes as much sense as the "truths" surrounding evolution.  

I don't have enough faith to believe in atheism.  

To believe everything and everyone just spontaneously came from nothing requires a level of belief beyond that of any religion.  It also shows the true level arrogance atheists have.  

Suppose just for a second God is real.  A God who created everything we know.  Now do you do really think you'd be able to comprehend a being such as that?  But because you can't you'll believe we're all just stardust governed by a infinite number of random happenings.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Societies have determined right and wrong because sometimes it is pretty black and white. A la:

-Stealing someones stuff is wrong. You wouldn't want your stuff stolen, right? Let's agree not to steal.
-Killing people is wrong. You wouldn't want to be killed right? Let's punish those who kill others.
-To help our society continue, help other people out. Especially your parents and your kids will do the same thing.

You know, stuff like that.
You don't need a carpenter who lived 2000 years ago to help you determine what is right and wrong.
View Quote
pretty much. society has always had a baseline of what they consider inheritely wrong.

Malum in se (plural mala in se) is a Latin phrase meaning wrong or evil in itself. The phrase is used to refer to conduct assessed as sinful or inherently wrong by nature, independent of regulations governing the conduct. It is distinguished from malum prohibitum, which is wrong only because it is prohibited.

also religion has been used to justify just as many heinous acts throughout history. lacking religion doesnt make for a moral-less society as any large group of humans will set about creating laws and morals which they deem necessary for their group to function. the red herring people use of a murder having his own moral code is a logical fallacy because individual morals do not matter, its what society as a whole deems moral.

aztecs believed in sacrifices to their sun god. catholics believed it was ok to slaughter their fellow christians if they had differing beliefs. muslims believe its ok to kill anyone who insults their prophet. religion is just as much a crutch to people to excuse bad behavior.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"Less educated" can also mean "less indoctrinated."
View Quote
so you are not indoctinated going to church?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Brought to you by the same people who say Trump voters are low educated dullards.
View Quote
All part of the plan.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I fail to see how our society has improved morally turning away from religion. We live in an anything goes kind of world where the value of life is cheap.
View Quote
I find that life is precious when you only get this one. Life is cheap when you believe in an afterlife. It promotes a "this life sucks, but things will be awesome when im dead" mentality.
thats how kept the peons in line.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Is there even enough water on earth to flood the whole place?
View Quote
There was a big ocean strike 11,600 years ago.

Genesis was finally written down much more recently.

There was a big flood that was global, it probably rained for 40 days in places, ocean levels rose from the melt, cities were flooded and lost, but no it didn't cover the whole Earth.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's shall not commit murder...but please go on...you know everything like 87% of athiests, so....
View Quote
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius." was allegedly spoken by Papal legate and Cistercian abbot Arnaud Amalric prior to the massacre at Béziers, the first major military action of the Albigensian Crusade. A direct translation of the Latinphrase would be "Kill them. For the Lord knows those that are His own." 

sucks to be cathar in france. All 1 million of them. still trying to figure out how more christians died during the crusades at the hands of their fellow christians then muslims?

guess there is an annotation on that tablet

Thou shall not kill
*unless they have been declared heathens by the church
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

education of creationism = indoctrination into creationism

education of evolution = indoctrination into evolution

think for yourself and choose whichever one you think makes sense and sort it all out when the time comes

be happy in the mean time
Evolution has good objective evidence that you can point to/examine/investigate.

Not so much with creationism. There's no good objective evidence for literal Biblical creationism or a literal world-wide flood. The good objective evidence goes against it.
Billions of fossils buried everywhere many in layers inches thick that run for hundreds of miles in every direction.  "no evidence for a world-wide flood".  LOL
You aren't up on the AGW-melted-ice-caps-Waterworld-in-our-immediate-future-if-you-don't-give-up-your-cars-and-AC are you?

the Manhattan sea wall was breached 3 years ago! Global warming! consensus science! It's fortold!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Billions of fossils buried everywhere many in layers inches thick that run for hundreds of miles in every direction.  "no evidence for a world-wide flood".  LOL
View Quote
Yeah, that's not evidence for a world-wide flood, just that things die. They can actually tell from the layers when floods occurred. There's no evidence for a world-wide flood. Not to mention the Chinese (who already had a civilization going) only experienced localized flooding when nomadic goat-herders who had no idea of China said there was a world-wide flood.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

To believe everything and everyone just spontaneously came from nothing requires a level of belief beyond that of any religion.  It also shows the true level arrogance atheists have.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Where in Atheism does it state this? Maybe matter always existed.

Suppose just for a second God is real.  A God who created everything we know.  Now do you do really think you'd be able to comprehend a being such as that?  But because you can't you'll believe we're all just stardust governed by a infinite number of random happenings.  
Do you think a bunch of superstitious nomadic goat-herders who would have worshipped David Blaine could have? Kinda weird for God to want people to know him, but then put a bunch of different religions out there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, that's not evidence for a world-wide flood, just that things die. They can actually tell from the layers when floods occurred. There's no evidence for a world-wide flood. Not to mention the Chinese (who already had a civilization going) only experienced localized flooding when nomadic goat-herders who had no idea of China said there was a world-wide flood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not evidence?  You seem educated on this, so how are fossils formed, and how many are being formed today?

So when you have a flat layer inches thick that represents a couple million years with a fossil in it, where is the erosion from the floods, rivers and everything else that was going on during that time?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Glad to see our society at large turning away from religion.
View Quote
And towards communism.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah man it's awesome to see moral degradation and degeneration
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glad to see our society at large turning away from religion.
Yeah man it's awesome to see moral degradation and degeneration
Yeah, that's the altar that he worships. He turned away from god and now he worships the other guy. You know, the one that's going to lose.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not evidence?  You seem educated on this, so how are fossils formed, and how many are being formed today?

So when you have a flat layer inches thick that represents a couple million years with a fossil in it, where is the erosion from the floods, rivers and everything else that was going on during that time?
View Quote
I'm not that educated on it.

The mechanisms of how fossils form is still occurring. We just don't often observe them because they are generally rare, but they still happen.

There's the tar pits, Pompeii, sediment from rivers that cover corpses, insects being covered by geyser deposits.

I don't understand your last question.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I never understood this divide with some saying that evolution is wrong and others saying that creationism is wrong. I've always thought that it makes sense more sense that god's method of creation was through evolution. Genesis says that god created the earth in six days. That doesn't mean that it was six days relative to man. I don't know what a day would be to god. I seriously doubt that it is only equivalent to one rotation of the earth, which didn't exist before he created it after six of god's days.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVadWrsHtJM

The mechanisms of how fossils form is still occurring. We just don't often observe them because they are generally rare, but they still happen.

There's the tar pits, Pompeii, sediment from rivers that cover corpses, insects being covered by geyser deposits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVadWrsHtJM

"Science" can't explain the last question.  That is why it is evidence for a flood that the evolution - science community doesn't want to talk about.

Your youtube video is a good explanation of how fossils are formed.  An organism must be quickly covered with sediment before it decomposes.  If your cat dies in the backyard he is going to decompose long before he is covered with sediment and turned into a fossil.  So to get a fossilized T-Rex, the story is, T-rex is standing by the river when a mud slide comes down and buries him and he turns into a fossil.  For this to work we need deep enough mud to cover T-Rex, but then we need him to stay covered in the river, and we need this river area to be filled in with more sediment to bury the area.  Most rivers in my area are eroding more not filling in.  So it is pretty obvious why fossils forming are going to be pretty rare.  But we find them everywhere.

So back to the continuous layers that run for hundreds of miles and are almost completely flat.  Where is the river, where is the mudslide? Pompeii, geyser deposits?  The layer that was the surface when these fossils formed is flat for hundreds of miles.  So "Science" answer is that it was the bottom of a lake at the time, because dead things don't float, and there is nothing in lakes that eat dead things that sit on the bottom for millions of years while sediment builds up around them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

think for yourself and choose whichever one you think makes sense and sort it all out when the time comes

Evolution has good objective evidence that you can point to/examine/investigate.

Not so much with creationism. There's no good objective evidence for literal Biblical creationism or a literal world-wide flood. The good objective evidence goes against it.
When you find a fossilized sharks tooth up on a mountain was it at one point under water?

I am not claiming to know the elevation of the water or the mountain.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Science" can't explain the last question.  That is why it is evidence for a flood that the evolution - science community doesn't want to talk about.

Your youtube video is a good explanation of how fossils are formed.  An organism must be quickly covered with sediment before it decomposes.  If your cat dies in the backyard he is going to decompose long before he is covered with sediment and turned into a fossil.  So to get a fossilized T-Rex, the story is, T-rex is standing by the river when a mud slide comes down and buries him and he turns into a fossil.  For this to work we need deep enough mud to cover T-Rex, but then we need him to stay covered in the river, and we need this river area to be filled in with more sediment to bury the area.  Most rivers in my area are eroding more not filling in.  So it is pretty obvious why fossils forming are going to be pretty rare.  But we find them everywhere.

So back to the continuous layers that run for hundreds of miles and are almost completely flat.  Where is the river, where is the mudslide? Pompeii, geyser deposits?  The layer that was the surface when these fossils formed is flat for hundreds of miles.  So "Science" answer is that it was the bottom of a lake at the time, because dead things don't float, and there is nothing in lakes that eat dead things that sit on the bottom for millions of years while sediment builds up around them.
View Quote
We find fossils all over the place because there's been literally billions of years' worth of opportunities for them to happen.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We are not now, nor have we ever been, a Christian nation.
View Quote
Is that what they teach you kids these days?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We find fossils all over the place because there's been literally billions of years' worth of opportunities for them to happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add enough time and ANYTHING no matter how preposterous will happen.  AmIright?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Moral relativism much?
View Quote
Morality is relative.  Do you even history of civilization, bro?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No, do not trust nutritionists to be authorities on the theory of evolution or paleontology. Similarly, don't trust evolutionary biologists to be authorities on nutrition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I guess we should defer to the so-called experts who can't even tell us if eggs are good for us or not to tell us what happened in the universe millions of years ago?
No, do not trust nutritionists to be authorities on the theory of evolution or paleontology. Similarly, don't trust evolutionary biologists to be authorities on nutrition.
You misunderstood my point, but you probably wanted to.  That's okay.

Most of what passes as "science" these days is a joke, especially evolutionary biology.  There is even a crisis right now in the medical field because half their studies can't be duplicated.

We don't have real science anymore.  We have scientism, which is a religion into itself.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When you find a fossilized sharks tooth up on a mountain was it at one point under water?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know how mountains are formed?

When tectonic plates smash into each other the stuff has to go somewhere, usually up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Add enough time and ANYTHING no matter how preposterous will happen.  AmIright?
View Quote
Uh, no.   I'm saying a tiny percentage of an extremely large number is still a large number.

Given literally billions of years worth of generations of living organisms, even a tiny fraction of a percentage of them producing fossils will still result in a large number of fossils.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#27]
No shit?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, what about my PhD, MD and DMD pals that believe in God?

Kinda blows that poll all to shit, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No shit?
View Quote

DUDE!!!

WHERE YA BEEN?!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a Genius level IQ from a state administered test.  According to our generally accepted method of testing intelligence I should reside in the 99.99%.  At 17 I had read one book cover to cover in my life but still made a 36 in reading on the ACT.  

I believe in God and creationism.  

Therefore since I am clearly smarter than most people I am correct and all other beliefs are wrong.

Saying that makes as much sense as the "truths" surrounding evolution.  

View Quote
Don't know if you are as smart as you say.  But I had a client who is an astrophysicist for NASA.  Easily the smartest guy I have ever met. His faith in a higher power was absolute but he did not believe in creationism.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No, I don't understand what your last question is even asking really.

Many fossils occur in amber which can't happen rapidly. It would take thousands/millions of years.

Bones can survive for over a year before being buried. Shells can last decades or centuries without being buried. It's only soft-tissue that needs to be preserved quickly.

Going into a peat bog or lakes deplete of oxygen slows decay dramatically.

The fossil record goes against a catastrophic event killing everything worldwide at once.

I don't understand this or what you're asking really, I don't think you do either. I fully admit I'm not well versed on the subject, but I still think you may have ill conceptions of how things work. Even asking the question "how many are being formed today?" as if it was some gotchya was weird. They're being formed today.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Don't know if you are as smart as you say.  But I had a client who is an astrophysicist for NASA.  Easily the smartest guy I have ever met. His faith in a higher power was absolute but he did not believe in creationism.
View Quote
Ben Carson is a brain surgeon, don't ask him about Egyptology though (or at least the parts that conflict with his religious views).
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are not now, nor have we ever been, a Christian nation.
The founders were largely theological liberals (not bible thumpers) and didn't establish a religion. The First Amendment goes against the First Commandment.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I find it ironic when atheists post the Rainbow Bridge meme.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When tectonic plates smash into each other the stuff has to go somewhere, usually up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course.  So when you asked if there was enough water to flood the earth, are you asking before the mountains were formed or after...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I believe in God, therefor I am dumber than atheists.

Did I get it right my intellectual superiors?
View Quote
GD religious threads are always a disaster.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Why does it always have to be an argument about
Creationism vs Atheism

Why isn't "we just don't know" an acceptable response.

I'm not a creationist or atheist, just a believer in healthy skepticism.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
was that point of the land surface once under water?  possibly.  was that point of the land surface actually a mountain when it was under water?  maybe.  even if it was, was the elevation the same at that point?  unknown.  

and then there's the possibility that the tooth may have been transported.

without a lot of corroborating evidence from the same mountains, your tooth is just a single data point from which nothing can be extrapolated.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I had a High School science teacher that agreed with just about all of the scientific studies about our origin, but she believed that a creator put it all in motion.

It was an interesting point of view that pretty much resulted in both parties being right.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
A flood would erode mountains and put the sediments in valleys. Seashells are not found in sediment that was not formerly covered by the sea.

Mountains form by uplift of land.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Creationism vs Atheism
View Quote
false dichotomy.  there are millions of believers who don't believe in special creationism (organisms were created in roughly their contemporary forms) or young-earth creationism (the universe was created a few thousand years ago).

there is absolutely nothing about scientific cosmology or biology that conflicts with a belief in god.  the only conflict is with people who for some reason make a religion out of an anglican priest's math (which he refused to explain).
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I had a High School science teacher that agreed with just about all of the scientific studies about our origin, but she believed that a creator put it all in motion.

It was an interesting point of view that pretty much resulted in both parties being right.
View Quote
That's a very deistic God that goes against the God that most people believe in.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

false dichotomy.  there are millions of believers who don't believe in special creationism (organisms were created in roughly their contemporary forms) or young-earth creationism (the universe was created a few thousand years ago).

there is absolutely nothing about scientific cosmology or biology that conflicts with a belief in god.  the only conflict is with people who for some reason make a religion out of an anglican priest's math (which he refused to explain).
View Quote
I understand but you get my point right?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Many fossils occur in amber which can't happen rapidly. It would take thousands/millions of years.

Bones can survive for over a year before being buried. Shells can last decades or centuries without being buried. It's only soft-tissue that needs to be preserved quickly.

The fossil record goes against a catastrophic event killing everything worldwide at once.

I don't understand this or what you're asking really, I don't think you do either. I fully admit I'm not well versed on the subject, but I still think you may have ill conceptions of how things work. Even asking the question "how many are being formed today?" as if it was some gotchya was weird. They're being formed today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you believe that the fossil record was laid down over millions of years instead of rapidly.

If you say so.  Where?  I know Google will agree with you, that is kind of the point of this thread.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Creationism vs Atheism

Why isn't "we just don't know" an acceptable response.

I'm not a creationist or atheist, just a believer in healthy skepticism.
View Quote
Most Atheists are actually fine with "we don't know", they're (Agnostic-)Atheists. There could be a God or Gods, there could not be, the time to believe is when there's good objective evidence.

The conception of God that wants people to know him, but puts out good objective evidence against him/his tales? Ehhhhhhhh........
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
was that point of the land surface once under water?  possibly.  was that point of the land surface actually a mountain when it was under water?  maybe.  even if it was, was the elevation the same at that point?  unknown.  

without a lot of corroborating evidence from the same mountains, your tooth is just a single data point from which nothing can be extrapolated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is some nice gymnastics to explain it all.

http://www.livescience.com/3656-vast-bed-ancient-bones-shark-teeth-explained.html

You realize that I was answering his question of whether there is enough water to have a global flood correct?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I understand but you get my point right?
View Quote
sure--i'm just pointing out that they way you wrote it contributes to the problem.  people think it's "science vs. god" or "evolution is atheism", when it absolutely is not.  but every time that dichotomy is repeated, it perpetuates the problem.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well, what about my PhD, MD and DMD pals that believe in God?

Kinda blows that poll all to shit, doesn't it?
View Quote
Who do you think your "pals" would be busy bowing to if they had, by chance, been born in Yemen?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Only if you believe that the fossil record was laid down over millions of years instead of rapidly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The fossil record shows a great deal of change over time. There's no evidence that it was done rapidly. The evidence goes against this.

There's independent dating of sediment via numbers of technique. Multiple layers of fossils, etc.

If you say so.  Where?  I know Google will agree with you, that is kind of the point of this thread.
"There's the [La Brea] tar pits/[tar pits in general], Pompeii, sediment from rivers that cover corpses, insects being covered by geyser deposits."
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Neat
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top