BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the S6 have an OIS (optical image stabilization) type camera lens?
View Quote

yes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Who really needs a replaceable battery when you can charge a phone from 0-100% in a little over an hour?
View Quote

Or a worn out battery where it dies in an hour or so and you have to basically keep it plugged in.  My last phone did that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my S6 Edge. It's fantastic. Huge step up from my S3, Nexus 5, and a decent step up from my OnePlus One. The camera is fantastic. Battery lasts me all day with more to go even when I use it heavily. It's extremely fast and looks great. Never needed an SD card or removable battery so Samsung dropping those didn't bother me.

One of the few phones I haven't felt the need to root/ROM right away
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Never had an app hard lock up on you I assume.  And yes, I've seen it happen on iPhones too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who really needs a replaceable battery when you can charge a phone from 0-100% in a little over an hour?

Never had an app hard lock up on you I assume.  And yes, I've seen it happen on iPhones too.

Yep, if it freezes and you can't remove the battery, you are fucked. Not to mention that batteries don't always last through as many charge cycles as they are supposed to.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had the s5 since it came out. it is by far the best phone I have ever had. If you can get a better deal on a s5 I'd day go with it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a s5 and will not be upgrading to the s6.  S5 is waterproof, S6 is not.  Also buying into a s5 right now should be affordable.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep, if it freezes and you can't remove the battery, you are fucked. Not to mention that batteries don't always last through as many charge cycles as they are supposed to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it freezes up you force it into recovery mode or download mode and reflash firmware with Odin. I've never had a cell phone battery go bad from too many charge cycles. I charge every night and got nearly 3 years out of my S3 before selling it and getting a different phone.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I was in the same boat recently, decided on the Note 4. Just wanted a better camera than the S5 and wanted the replaceable battery and memory upgrade ability. Going to it from the S3 was a big leap for me. This one ought to last for years.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If it freezes up you force it into recovery mode or download mode and reflash firmware with Odin. I've never had a cell phone battery go bad from too many charge cycles. I charge every night and got nearly 3 years out of my S3 before selling it and getting a different phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm, no, I'm talking about a total freeze, where none of the buttons do anything. As I already said in this thread, it just happened to my girlfriend's new S6 and they exchanged for a new phone at the store. And just because you haven't had a battery die prematurely doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ummm, no, I'm talking about a total freeze, where none of the buttons do anything. As I already said in this thread, it just happened to my girlfriend's new S6 and they exchanged for a new phone at the store. And just because you haven't had a battery die prematurely doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes Odin can flash over a full freeze. I've restored bricked phones still leaving the Knox switch in place.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes Odin can flash over a full freeze. I've restored bricked phones still leaving the Knox switch in place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. And yes I'm sure it does happen - but unless you have a defective battery, you are doing something wrong if it dies in less than 2 years.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

How are you going to use Odin when NONE OF THE FUCKING BUTTONS DO ANYTHING AND PLUGGING IT INTO A PC DOESN'T DO ANYTHING? That's what just happened to my girlfriend's new S6, and why they GAVE HER A REPLACEMENT PHONE BECAUSE NOTHING COULD BE DONE WITH IT.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This. And yes I'm sure it does happen - but unless you have a defective battery, you are doing something wrong if it dies in less than 2 years.
View Quote

Yes, defective batteries still happen, and just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Wow.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How are you going to use Odin when NONE OF THE FUCKING BUTTONS DO ANYTHING AND PLUGGING IT INTO A PC DOESN'T DO ANYTHING? That's what just happened to my girlfriend's new S6, and why they GAVE HER A REPLACEMENT PHONE BECAUSE NOTHING COULD BE DONE WITH IT.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that I disagree that a phone should have a removable battery, but damn, you could use some Preparation H.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Wife and I just upgrade our S3's last month.  We were waiting for the S6, but I used one at Best Buy and I was over it. I pulled it off a wireless charger and the battery was at 100%.  I used it on their wifi for about 20 minutes (slow weeknight) and the battery was closing on 80%.  That stuck a fork in it.  I also can't say I was excited about no SD card support, no removable battery, and an extra sheet of glass on the back to worry about.

I bought a Note 4.  No regrets.  The battery is a beast and the large screen rocks.

Wife found the Note 4 too large for her hands so we got her an S5, free at Costco with a bundled accessory kit.  She loves it.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:32:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First he puts his penis in the tiny hole and nuts a new OS in there. Then he says bitch you gonna get me my money and makes your phone go work on the curb.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not that I disagree that a phone should have a removable battery, but damn, you could use some Preparation H.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I don't think he needs any form of medication...  All caps is what one is reduced to when they can't reach out and choke someone due to failed comprehension.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calm down there, you're going to have a heart attack.

So because the store doesn't know WTF to do, nothing can be done? I bet almost anything it could have been fixed (unless she let it go swimming). A little time on XDA would have fixed it, but since it's a new phone it was probably right to take it back. I returned one because of a software problem preventing the phone from going into deep sleep. After flashing the stock firmware multiple times and doing factory resets, I kind of started to think it was hardware related and didn't want to fuck with it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odin is a program on your computer that can fully communicate with the phones hardware when paired with Adb. Plug the phone in nothing is going to happen. Go into ADB and do a reboot command to the hardware it will reboot. At this time reboot it to download and go into odin. You then restore all four files and force a reflash of the stock operating system. The only way this doesn't work is if there is hardware damage which is why I'm saying that a removable battery isn't important. The guys at the store likely don't know enough code to know how to do this and it takes close to an hour to do. The battery is just another piece of hardware. If it fails take it back and have the phone replaced on warranty, don't think that swapping it out yourself somehow makes it Superior. These batteries should last at least 2 Years. If one is failing there is something bigger wrong with the power draw or voltage.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top