Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That was funny!   Anyone who has never seen cowboy action shooters would probably be surprised at how well some of those fellows handle those old style weapons.  Some of those guys are damned fast!  Those weapons would not be my first choice, but there is wisdom in carrying what you know how to shoot well, rather than carrying the latest whiz bang kit.
View Quote
You're right, those guys put a lot of time and effort into becoming efficient with single action revolvers. Now imagine if they switched to a modern, striker fired, double stack auto. They could easily attain the same level of efficiency with much less effort, or achieve a much higher level of skill with the same amount of effort. It's like using iron sights on a rifle instead of an Aimpoint in 2017. Neat, but why? Revolvers for self defense have some of the same problems as shotguns for self defense - anybody can pick up a loaded one and shoot it, but once it's out of ammo, that's where the trouble starts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My dad took an old Colt 45 with him to the central Pacific in WWII.  It came home with more notches in the grip than it left with.
View Quote
A Colt DA revolver or single action? Seabees at least got issued DA .45s
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing wrong with reproductions.  Stronger than the originals.  Just feed them what they are made for.  45 colt, no problem. But don't try to load a 44-40 to match 44 mag.  Likewise if it does not say 357 magnum, it's not.  A 38 is a 38.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The article is worried about a blocking bar and didn't even mention that those are single-action pistols???
View Quote
You do realize that a transfer bar safety let's you load 6 rounds in a 6-shooter.  It is not a good idea to carry a SA with a round under the hammer otherwise.  Without the transfer bar safety, the standard practice is:
Load one
Skip one
Load four
Hammer down on the empty chamber.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Spin gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i petition that we no longer refer to them as a "revolver" and henceforth say "revolvy".

That'll show those shotty assholes.
Spin gun.
fidget spinny
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#6]

You guys wait till Chris Costa goes SASS
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Lyrics
Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks (Official Video)
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a SAA clone in .357 I wouldn't mind carrying concealed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're right, those guys put a lot of time and effort into becoming efficient with single action revolvers. Now imagine if they switched to a modern, striker fired, Single Action, double stack auto. They could easily attain the same level of efficiency with much less effort, or achieve a much higher level of skill with the same amount of effort. It's like using iron sights on a rifle instead of an Aimpoint in 2017. Neat, but why? Revolvers for self defense have some of the same problems as shotguns for self defense - anybody can pick up a loaded one and shoot it, but once it's out of ammo, that's where the trouble starts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was funny!   Anyone who has never seen cowboy action shooters would probably be surprised at how well some of those fellows handle those old style weapons.  Some of those guys are damned fast!  Those weapons would not be my first choice, but there is wisdom in carrying what you know how to shoot well, rather than carrying the latest whiz bang kit.
You're right, those guys put a lot of time and effort into becoming efficient with single action revolvers. Now imagine if they switched to a modern, striker fired, Single Action, double stack auto. They could easily attain the same level of efficiency with much less effort, or achieve a much higher level of skill with the same amount of effort. It's like using iron sights on a rifle instead of an Aimpoint in 2017. Neat, but why? Revolvers for self defense have some of the same problems as shotguns for self defense - anybody can pick up a loaded one and shoot it, but once it's out of ammo, that's where the trouble starts.
Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You're right, those guys put a lot of time and effort into becoming efficient with single action revolvers. Now imagine if they switched to a modern, striker fired, double stack auto. They could easily attain the same level of efficiency with much less effort, or achieve a much higher level of skill with the same amount of effort. It's like using iron sights on a rifle instead of an Aimpoint in 2017. Neat, but why? Revolvers for self defense have some of the same problems as shotguns for self defense - anybody can pick up a loaded one and shoot it, but once it's out of ammo, that's where the trouble starts.
View Quote
Outdoor Channel did that couple years back. They put together a competition between some of the best CAS shooters and some of the best 3 gun shooters where they all used both types of firearms on different stages. The CAS shooters did well for themselves. It was called Duel in the Sun. I'll hunt around and see if I can find a link after work.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#11]
An uninvited visitor at my home on dark night was deterred from possible robbery attempt when he saw my Ruger Blackhawk .45 held at my side. He approached, saying he needed money, just as I exited my vehicle after a hunting trip. He had a total change of demeanor from aggressive approach, to halt, to quick retreat. No shots fired. Never pointed it at him. Learned later that he was a crackhead who confronted people and demanded money.  My daily carry is a .45 semi-auto pistol but the Blackhawk was effective in that instance.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It worked for Elmer, and he even brought his SAA to the big city a time or two...

The old .45 Colt black powder loads were no joke, either.
View Quote
The old cases were the "balloon head" type and could carry more black powder. It was 40 grs of black powder and with 240-260 gr bullets had 900 - 950 fps IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those single action revolvers are also more accurate than the striker fired plastic thing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
An uninvited visitor at my home on dark night was deterred from possible robbery attempt when he saw my Ruger Blackhawk .45 held at my side. He approached, saying he needed money, just as I exited my vehicle after a hunting trip. He had a total change of demeanor from aggressive approach, to halt, to quick retreat. No shots fired. Never pointed it at him. Learned later that he was a crackhead who confronted people and demanded money.  My daily carry is a .45 semi-auto pistol but the Blackhawk was effective in that instance.
View Quote
Realistically the biggest problem with the single action revolver is the size.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The bottom pic is Clint Walker (no relation to Arness).

Peter Graves was the brother of James Arness.

View Quote
The guy Matt Dillon shot in the opening of Gunsmoke was Arvo Ojala

Ojala was "the genuine article" to those he tutored. His speed was clocked and verified a number of times. He could draw, fire, and hit the target in one-sixth of a second, faster than the eye can blink. His technique of cocking "in the holster" as he drew revolutionized the western and was shown in detail both by Henry Fonda in the western film The Tin Star and by John Payne in his series The Restless Gun. At the height of the TV Westerns, Ojala opened a "quick-draw" studio on the 8500 block of the Sunset Strip, next to the famous King's Cellar Liquor Store.

For further proof, Arvo would drop a silver dollar with his gun hand (right) from belt height, then draw and hit the coin before it could fall four inches. This was using "live", or full-power ammunition, not the wax bullets and quarter-loads used today in so-called "fast draw" competitions. In another exhibition, his opponent (using blanks) would face him with his pistol out of the holster and cocked, then nod as he simultaneously fired his revolver, while Arvo would draw and fire before the opponent could get a shot off. He never lost.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Made in bestest state.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

a 30-30 lever  makes a great truck gun...
View Quote
 That!

So after messing around with the AR I (over)  built, for sub 150yrd or house guns, my old 30-30 Winchester 1894 point far faster, carries super easy and those 3030 rounds do not play, Id say that the 1894 is considerable more lethal than the AR if that first round hits, of course if you need a follow up shot that's where things change.

Of course the best weapon to carry is the one you're most proficient with.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I've ccw'ed a .41Magnum Blackhawk.  It was cold enough out to hide it well.  

I sure as fuck wouldn't want to be shot with it.  

Two less round than my normal carry piece a Kahr in 9mm.  

The average gunfight it 3-4 rounds anyhow. B
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
I like your style, pilgrim.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Meh, I've made a Robbery arrest with a Vaquero in 45 Colt.
View Quote
Love my Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:38:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The old cases were the "balloon head" type and could carry more black powder. It was 40 grs of black powder and with 240-260 gr bullets had 900 - 950 fps IIRC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It worked for Elmer, and he even brought his SAA to the big city a time or two...

The old .45 Colt black powder loads were no joke, either.
I load 40 grains (by volume) of 3FG black powder (Olde Eynsford) under a 250 grain dead soft lead flat point.

I use modern brass.

Ave. 1027 fps out of a 5.5in Cimarron SAA
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:41:12 AM EDT
[#22]
A Le Mat in the hands of a respected gun-fighter would end GD
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll play.....Ruger Bearcat that's been passed down to me. I haven't dated it yet but it's been around a while.

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Carrying a Single Action Army as a concealed weapon?    That's about the dumbest thing I've heard today.

I carry an Atlatl with some throwing stars in reserve and I have yet to walk into a fight where I felt out gunned.    
View Quote
Still a better choice than a 5 shot Jframe.....more rounds and longer barrel.......isn't that the argument for an auto over a pocket rocket?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'll play.....Ruger Bearcat that's been passed down to me. I haven't dated it yet but it's been around a while.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139707/IMG-4906-260075.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139707/IMG-4905-260074.jpg
View Quote
Those old Bearcats with the brass trigger guard are nice.

I have a more modern one. I love it, use it when I run a trapline sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Still a better choice than a 5 shot Jframe.....more rounds and longer barrel.......isn't that the argument for an auto over a pocket rocket?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Carrying a Single Action Army as a concealed weapon?    That's about the dumbest thing I've heard today.

I carry an Atlatl with some throwing stars in reserve and I have yet to walk into a fight where I felt out gunned.    
Id take this over any of the cowboy guns in this thread for CCW.

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I was thrilled when I got it. Somewhat resistant to shooting it as it's in great shape but I know I'll get over that.......
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yea, I was thrilled when I got it. Somewhat resistant to shooting it as it's in great shape but I know I'll get over that.......
View Quote
They are made to be shot...You won't ruin any collector value shooting it a bit. Holster wear would screw it up though. Everyone has different hands, but the Bearcat gripframe seems like it was made for me. I am pretty sure Bill Ruger used the old .31 Colt Pocket revolvers as inspiration when he designed it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Duuuuude.
View All Quotes
In the next episode of "Ouch, My Balls!"
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh, I've made a Robbery arrest with a Vaquero in 45 Colt.
Same here. They are great guns. I have the old style Vaquero which can handle the heavy loads. I loaded some with lead bullets to the blackpowder levels, and some JHP loaded to near max. The BP level loads are fairly gentle to shoot, but the JHP loads will get your attention.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have one I basically just bought for fun, what a neat little gun . . .great defense gun too . . .
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#33]

I might have a Mernickle holster or two just like the one above for my SAA wheel guns. 
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#34]
WHY SCOFF

IN A MODERN WORLD  at least for me the most likely threat will be in a CAR or truck  (INCLUDING TERRORIST )!!!

45 LONG COLT & 357 MAGNUM CAN FIRE BIG HEAVY BULLETS THAT  ARE PROVEN TO GO THROUGH AUTO DOORS AND WINDSHIELDS WITH EASE

I am unsure of how modern hp 9mm +p perform against an auto door or windshield - can somebody find ole painless

I'd rather have 6 bullets that I know  will get to a driver than 15 that may or may not.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Gunsite instructor claims sa cowboy gun "great for self defense"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoW7VUZtn-E
View Quote
A gun period is great for defense. Beats harsh words and restraining orders.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wouldn't be my first choice, but a modern loaded 45 Colt with a HP will do very well, ballistics wise.
View Quote
ya know 357 mag was originally loaded to mimic 45 long colt black powder ballistics
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#37]

.45 ACP only. I use the mag as a pez dispenser.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#38]
My Blackhawk .45 LC is my carry gun of choice when hunting or camping.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
WHY SCOFF

IN A MODERN WORLD  at least for me the most likely threat will be in a CAR or truck  (INCLUDING TERRORIST )!!!

45 LONG COLT & 357 MAGNUM CAN FIRE BIG HEAVY BULLETS THAT  ARE PROVEN TO GO THROUGH AUTO DOORS AND WINDSHIELDS WITH EASE

I am unsure of how modern hp 9mm +p perform against an auto door or windshield - can somebody find ole painless

I'd rather have 6 bullets that I know  will get to a driver than 15 that may or may not.
View Quote
.40 S&W works for auto glass and car bodies.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's entertrainment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gunsite instructor claims sa cowboy gun "great for self defense"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoW7VUZtn-E
That's entertrainment.
Ruger has to justify the damn things....

Tacticool SAA

Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
WHY SCOFF

View Quote
In my limited experience 9mm zips through car doors while .45ACP may/may not make it though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This sounds like a great idea until you're facing 15 to 50 heavily armed terrorists when you're walking your dog. It's your funeral.jpg
View Quote
It will be, no matter what you are carrying if that happens.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:24:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
More for aesthetics? WTF does that even mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In AZ it's not unheard of to see a Ruger Vaquero or SAA Colt being OCed.

I OC my 45 Vaquero but it's more for aesthetics.

I know of several cowboy action guys who carry single actions that aren't to be trifled with.

And in before "muh mag capacity"[/guy who's carrying a single stack 9].
More for aesthetics? WTF does that even mean?
Aesthetics???   For the tourists in AZ.  Seeing a guy carrying an auto in a modern rig, seems to say poser" to some  (Seems to indicate =/= they necessarily are one)  But a big wheel gun in what appears to be a well used holster back on the right hip,  seems to indicate the carrier knows what he is doing.

But what do the tourists know?

Minor reality note  - An individual that gets into a situation where he is outgunned with a wheel gun in a caliber starting with .4 is very likely to be badly outgunned no matter what he is carrying.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:28:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You the kind of guy that likes the blackhawk?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've carried my Blackhawk on more than a few occasions
You the kind of guy that likes the blackhawk?
I am, I like mine a LOT, but it would not be my carry choice.  Now if its all I have, its still better than a stick
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This sounds like a great idea until you're facing 15 to 50 heavily armed terrorists when you're walking your dog. It's your funeral.jpg
View Quote
Just where in the FUCK do you live? so I dont go there.......
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#50]
pure sex, and a broken wrist
LOL
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top