BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think towing a boat or camper trailer is that much work. Anything more is usually reserved for the diesel line of trucks.
Also, nothing wrong with being a Gen 2 or 3 guy, a company like ford doesn't have that luxury though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
2.7L [don't care if it's a turbo or not] engine in a full size P-up truck? I just don't see them going a couple hundred thousand miles without MAJOR engine work. I think turbos are great in many applications but tiny displacement and lots of boost for something heavy is asking for costly repairs down the road.

Of course EVERYONE will be trying to get their light truck CAFE standards up in a couple more years so don't expect the other truck manufacturers to not end up going down a path that is similar because they are going to have no choice.

We are in the late stages of the modern muscle car/trucks era, about where we were in the late 60s/early 70s and what is coming is 1972 all over again. We'll still have power [or most of it anyways] but engine life is going to be sacrificed for more MPG. I am really watching the DI scene to see who can figure out the intake valve build up issues without a lot of added complexity.

I hear you on the carbon build up engine valves.
Otherwise I'm not sure if you've been paying attention to the advancements that have always been taking place in engines.
In fact I could see someone saying the same thing you said every decade about the up coming engines.

Sure a turbo car will have a higher running cost over an NA during its life but one would have to gloss over all the pros of a FI setup.

This isn't a turbo car, this is a vehicle designed to carry loads and haul trailers weighing thousands and thousands of pounds and under high boost level much of the time while doing so. I just don't think a tiny gas engine and high boost is the way to go for this application. Time will tell who is right.

As for me, I'm going to stay away from DI for at least several years until the bugs are worked out and there is a history of which vehicles/engines  are good to go and which one's are lemons.

I don't think towing a boat or camper trailer is that much work. Anything more is usually reserved for the diesel line of trucks.
Also, nothing wrong with being a Gen 2 or 3 guy, a company like ford doesn't have that luxury though.

I think you are going to see a divergence between "light" trucks [Ford F 150, Dodge 1500 ect] and the heavier 3/4-1 tons, the bigger ones will attempt to stay "traditional" [body on frame] while increasing in cost while the lighter class will go lighter framewise and drivetrain wise to get their cafe standards up.

I really hope I'm wrong but these upcoming standards are not going to be met easily.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Insurance rates will be through the roof also. Body shops have to have special tooling just for aluminum parts. Body shop rates are double for aluminum at most.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you like under powered brick V8's

View Quote

Hey, i resemble that remark

5.4l here
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Going to venture out with another Eco Bust ??? The Eco Boost did not go well in our are most blew up on the side of the road...
View Quote

Hey, I'll have you know that 95% of all Fords that were built are still on the road.

The other 5% made it back home.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

this is cool....  I guess they have had these aluminum bodies out in the workforce since 2011.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/30/how-ford-secretly-used-customers-to-test-its-aluminum-f-150-w-v/
View Quote
Neat

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top