BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If the story she tells is 100% accurate and tells the entire tale, she probably could hire a lawyer and get paid.

My guess is the same as yours - there were other reasons that were not shared with her.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, if that is what she was wearing - and her story is accurate - then she SHOULD be angry.

My guess is that there's more to the story - probably her behavior during the interview, and not what she was wearing.

If the story she tells is 100% accurate and tells the entire tale, she probably could hire a lawyer and get paid.

My guess is the same as yours - there were other reasons that were not shared with her.

If only more facts had come to light and been posted in this very thread...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There's basically two philosophies to running a tech shop.

One is to realize that developers are weird, with varying degrees of aspbergers, like doing things the way they like doing things, and are most productive when they can do what they want to do. There's a reason Google allows employees a certain number of hours to work on whatever they want to each week. I worked for a company that had several rooms dedicated to gaming with multiple xboxes and projectors with daily tournaments where it was not uncommon for someone to suddenly quit the game and sprint back to their desk because they figured out how to solve a problem. Give motivated smart people a comfortable environment with caffeine and booze and minimal ground rules and you'll get high quality output and happy workers who want to stay with the company.

The other school of thought is to treat developers like call center employees or salespeople from the 1950s. "If your butt isn't in your chair and your fingers aren't on the keyboard you aren't working!" "If you are browsing tech crunch you are not working!" "IT, ban connections to imgur and pandora. Bandwidth is expensive and these sites waste time." I've seen shops where developers were elbow to elbow, no partitions between workstations, and management slowly paced the aisle looking for people who weren't doing work every second of the day. It's a recipe for unhappy developers which nets a lower quality product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting but I feel like your view might be a minority opinion. As an outsider (I don't do IT), I can say she didn't appear to be dress for the interview. My wife can wear jeans to work but when she interviewed for her job an above the knee skirt was a no-no (she helps launch those Space-X rockets we all love here).

development isn't IT I've probably interviewed 75-80 people over the last 8 years. I've interviewed people in suits and people in flip flops. I've had candidates show up stoned. All that matters is if they can do the job and if they fit in with the culture of the team and the company. I've worked in startups and fortune 500s. While first impressions are totally a thing, when I read a candidate's resume I form an opinion of them. When I meet them in person I form another opinion. And when I sit down with them for an hour and have them show me what they know, I form another opinion. That last one is by far the most important, followed by the resume.

Also Space-X is awesome.

Thanks for the input. Sounds pretty confusing to be honest, it seems like every IT place is different when it comes to dress code. And yes Space-X is awesome, I've been meaning to do a pic thread one of these launches but I always get stuck working.

One is to realize that developers are weird, with varying degrees of aspbergers, like doing things the way they like doing things, and are most productive when they can do what they want to do. There's a reason Google allows employees a certain number of hours to work on whatever they want to each week. I worked for a company that had several rooms dedicated to gaming with multiple xboxes and projectors with daily tournaments where it was not uncommon for someone to suddenly quit the game and sprint back to their desk because they figured out how to solve a problem. Give motivated smart people a comfortable environment with caffeine and booze and minimal ground rules and you'll get high quality output and happy workers who want to stay with the company.

The other school of thought is to treat developers like call center employees or salespeople from the 1950s. "If your butt isn't in your chair and your fingers aren't on the keyboard you aren't working!" "If you are browsing tech crunch you are not working!" "IT, ban connections to imgur and pandora. Bandwidth is expensive and these sites waste time." I've seen shops where developers were elbow to elbow, no partitions between workstations, and management slowly paced the aisle looking for people who weren't doing work every second of the day. It's a recipe for unhappy developers which nets a lower quality product.

Wow... Pretty much blew my mind.

I saw in another comment the chick said she showed up late. Is the IT field forgiving with that sort of stuff?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I saw in another comment the chick said she showed up late. Is the IT field forgiving with that sort of stuff?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting but I feel like your view might be a minority opinion. As an outsider (I don't do IT), I can say she didn't appear to be dress for the interview. My wife can wear jeans to work but when she interviewed for her job an above the knee skirt was a no-no (she helps launch those Space-X rockets we all love here).

development isn't IT I've probably interviewed 75-80 people over the last 8 years. I've interviewed people in suits and people in flip flops. I've had candidates show up stoned. All that matters is if they can do the job and if they fit in with the culture of the team and the company. I've worked in startups and fortune 500s. While first impressions are totally a thing, when I read a candidate's resume I form an opinion of them. When I meet them in person I form another opinion. And when I sit down with them for an hour and have them show me what they know, I form another opinion. That last one is by far the most important, followed by the resume.

Also Space-X is awesome.

Thanks for the input. Sounds pretty confusing to be honest, it seems like every IT place is different when it comes to dress code. And yes Space-X is awesome, I've been meaning to do a pic thread one of these launches but I always get stuck working.

Showing up late for an initial job interview is the kiss of death. You will NEVER be any better at showing up on time  then that first meeting.

I'd also bet that her entire life's drama spilled over into the interview and ''Oh hell no!'' was the only thought that went through the interviewers mind the entire time. Companies don't want drama, they want someone who is going to make them lots of money.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also Space-X is awesome.

In the Type I companies I've worked for there were no scheduled hours. Be there for your meetings and get your work done and no one cares when you're at your desk. But be on time for interviews. That's a universal truth.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Of course, if she came across as self-righteous and bitchy in the interview she wouldn't mention it in her online rant.
View Quote

She doesn't have to.  It oozes out of what she does say like pus from a draining abcess.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
This chick is full of shit and full of herself.  But she's going somewhere!  Says her, petulant tard.   In the real world you play the game, get the job, and take on the world with actions, not words and drama.

Her life is going to be miserable, even if her mental illness doesn't allow her to acknowledge it.

Competence and skill would trump using a dildo for a hair pin were they high enough.  In this case, she has a piece of paper, a bad attitude, and the thought processes that told her making a public spectacle out of this non event was a good idea.

Write down this name, HR.  If you ever hire it, you deserve the suffering that comes your way.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Honestly, if that is what she was wearing - and her story is accurate - then she SHOULD be angry.
My guess is that there's more to the story - probably her behavior during the interview, and not what she was wearing.
View Quote

I agree with this completely.  I'm a lawyer and wouldn't have a problem hiring staff who dressed for an interview like that.  But like the good professor, I suspect there's more to this story.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
People are at their best during an interview.  If your best at an interview is the companies average after a year on the job you shouldn't even bother.  I think our HR would have started laughing at her during the interview based on her personality alone.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#9]
At least her purse matches the city water access caps. It sure as shit doesn't go with her Connect Four inspired outfit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#10]
You are of course free to dress any way you like, just as the employer is free to hire whoever they feel is the best fit for their organization.  Perhaps a little research into how that employer prefers employees to dress on the job might have helped.  

It is naive to think the way you dress or look doesn't make a difference to people, and/or employers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
am i the only one thinking that gamergate might have had something to do with this?
View Quote

The SJWs are going after the tech industry. There have been several narratives in the past couple years that are supposed to demonstrate that
male programmers are a bunch of frat bros and that's why there aren't more women in programming jobs. See Ellen Pao, Julie Horvath, Adria Richards, etc.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#12]
It was the purse.

I mean really...
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

She's cute though.  I'd offer her a position on my staff.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't get behind her at the all-you-can-eat buffet.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#15]
It took hours to look like that? Yikes....what does she look like when she rolls out of bed?

As an interviewer you can often tell within minutes if the person is going to be a good candidate for the job and if you're going to hire someone. I'd she showed up late, obviously that alone is a huge indicator of what she may be like, but if she were to start rambling about why and making excuses etc it might have really sealed the deal. I don't think for a second her outfit was the reason she wasn't hired. Whether it's the best choice or not, it's certainly not extreme enough to disqualify someone IMO.

She just looks like a huge pain in the ass. Just like the race card gets yanked out whenever someone doesn't get what they want or things don't go their way, women are increasingly using their gender to accuse people of not treating them fairly. While both racism & sexism happen, IMO the vast majority of accusations are pure B.S.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#16]
She is sturdy. Like Oxen. She can plow in spring and warm my bed in winter.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don't get behind her at the all-you-can-eat buffet.  
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2843538/images/n-ELIZABETH-BENTIVEGNA-large570.jpg
View Quote

According to this picture, she was 15 last summer
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

According to this picture, she was 14 last summer
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It says '15. As in (I'm guessing) Class of 2015.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ummm....what? Says class of '15.  Meaning she JUST graduated and has no idea  what is going on around her.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd give her a job.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I didn't notice the '
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What's that last one?
Does asking that betray a lack of fashion knowledge?

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'sup ladies

Do words like *cardigan* and *ruffley blouse* really get you going?

What about *camisole* or *espadrille*?

What's that last one?

Nick

It does but that's ok.  I was well into adulthood before I knew what they were either.  

Espadrilles or alpargatas are normally casual, flat, but sometimes high-heeled shoes originating in the Pyrenees. They usually have a canvas or cotton fabric upper and a flexible sole made of jute rope. The jute rope sole is the defining characteristic of an espadrille; the uppers vary widely in style.

Oddly enough, I have a pic already in my photobucket from the last time someone here asked.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#23]
tl;dr
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It does but that's ok.  I was well into adulthood before I knew what they were either.  

Espadrilles or alpargatas are normally casual, flat, but sometimes high-heeled shoes originating in the Pyrenees. They usually have a canvas or cotton fabric upper and a flexible sole made of jute rope. The jute rope sole is the defining characteristic of an espadrille; the uppers vary widely in style.

Oddly enough, I have a pic already in my photobucket from the last time someone here asked.  

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/emilysmom_02/espadrille_zps3051818b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'sup ladies

Do words like *cardigan* and *ruffley blouse* really get you going?

What about *camisole* or *espadrille*?

What's that last one?

Nick

So..uh...like I said before. The answer is yes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#25]

LJL

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#26]

YUP

My most senior developer looks straight out of the casting call for "Wargames".  I have never seen him with his hair combed.  I don't think he's ever done it.  He has a high school education and makes WELL into the six figures.  If he asked, I'd pay him more.  He never does. He drives a pile of shit that has more plastic and aluminum piled up in it than it took to manufacture the car in the first place.  

But they call him the code whisperer because he just understands EVERYTHING he looks at and how to turn ideas into functional software that does what you want it to do the first time.

He could interview ANYWHERE in drag with a midget chained to his waist and as RyJones' story said, they'd build him a circus tent to work in and throw money at him.

I'm going with this girl having bad vibes and being an undergrad with little to no raw talent or experience.

Quoted:
Microsoft Hiring Manager training used this example in the 90s: if a brilliant programmer comes into your interview and pees in the corner of your office, make the offer and make sure to have a urinal installed in his office.

The industry is short programmers. Anyone with any skill can make bank.

I would not bat an eye at her outfit in an interview loop.

Given her lack of experience and the job listings posted above - she wouldn't have made it past the phone screen
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know where to go from here.  Palazzo pants?  Maxi dress?  Boatneck top?  

If it's getting too hot in here I can throw in words like girdle and poncho.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes dear it was because of the way you dressed

It had nothing to do with the fact that you are obviously an self absorbed attention whore that will surely cause HR issues

Here is a clue for fuck sticks like her ( men and women alike ). If you are good at your job, but lack basic social skills you will not succeed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#29]
No HR person said "we'd have hired you, but you looked like...."

Well, let me rephrase, 99.99% of the HR community wouldn't say something like that. I really doubt it happened. I've hired 3 people in my life and even I know you never, EVER say anything about what a person looks like or why they didn't get hired. Unless this was an HR person who won the lotto and just wants to F their employer on the way out, there's no way that happened. And if not, she's a liar and I don't care that she didn't get this job. If the HR guy really did say that, all she has to do is threaten to sue and put the right lawyer on retainer and she WILL get paid. I'm highly skeptical though. They tell you on Day 1 of HR school "never tell someone why they didn't get the job....too many lawsuits."
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#30]
i'm thinking that maybe her attitude is what cost her the job, more than her dress...
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It looks pretty well put together and professional.  

During interviewer training at the old Fortune 50 sized company I used to work for, we were told NOT to judge a canidate by what he was wearing,  as long as it met our business casual dresscode (which was very loose)   Judging could be construed as racist, sexist,  homophobic,  or even culturally insensitive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks pretty well put together and professional.  

During interviewer training at the old Fortune 50 sized company I used to work for, we were told NOT to judge a canidate by what he was wearing,  as long as it met our business casual dresscode (which was very loose)   Judging could be construed as racist, sexist,  homophobic,  or even culturally insensitive.

to ensure success in an interview leave nothing to chance. overdress and wear a fucking suit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My most senior developer looks straight out of the casting call for "Wargames".  
View Quote

I love Malvin and Jim.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes to everything
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you work with a recruiter,  he usually is able to fish some information out of the people involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boy, every job interview I've ever been on, they say, "Thank you very much, we'll be in touch."

Odd that they would go into details in this situation.

If you work with a recruiter,  he usually is able to fish some information out of the people involved.

I wonder if she asked for feedback after the interview, and the recruiter threw the dress nugget out as "constructive criticism" that she could take to future/other interviews. She then keyed in on that as THE only reason she wasn't hired.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I wonder if she asked for feedback after the interview, and the recruiter threw the dress nugget out as "constructive criticism" that she could take to future/other interviews. She then keyed in on that as THE only reason she wasn't hired.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boy, every job interview I've ever been on, they say, "Thank you very much, we'll be in touch."

Odd that they would go into details in this situation.

They better have tossed the nugget, less risk to the fingies!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe she got a bit of an attitude and started acting like "they needed her" similar to how her FB post was.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ummm....what? Says class of '15.  Meaning she JUST graduated and has no idea  what is going on around her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of which, here's the website she's standing in front of
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#39]
probably more to the story than what she wore.

hell I wore board shorts a tank top and flip flops to my last job interview,I got the job..

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I love Malvin and Jim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfJJk7i0NTk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My most senior developer looks straight out of the casting call for "Wargames".  

I love Malvin and Jim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfJJk7i0NTk

Mister Potato Head! Mister Potato Head! Back doors are not secrets!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
She doesn't look like she's about to go clubbing, she looks like she's going to celebrate Samhain and commune with fox spirits before updating her livejournal as to how her Wiccan Coven has "sold out."
View Quote

ROFL, YOU KILLED ME I am going to bed.

LOL fox spirits LOL
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Too fat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:51:57 AM EDT
[#43]

I'm guessing she pegged the crazy-bitch-meter.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm betting that this has more to do with her ineptitude than her black widow outfit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:10:26 AM EDT
[#45]
She looks like she's ready to have a ritual with dead cats.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yeah, should have gone to the interview in a pantsuit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
She's another liar.

Yeah, should have gone to the interview in a pantsuit.

I'd be surprised if there really was an interview.
Leftists are liars.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:14:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Saw this somewhere else, apparently she was late to the interview.
View Quote

I am 100% sure there is more to the story . Like maybe she is shitty answering questions . Maybe she is not all of what she thinks she is.  Maybe another candidate was better qualified ?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I am 100% sure there is more to the story . Like maybe she is shitty answering questions . Maybe she is not all of what she thinks she is.  Maybe another candidate was better qualified ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw this somewhere else, apparently she was late to the interview.

Whoa whoa whoa.  Someone fresh out of college who isn't the hot shit they think they are?  Impossibru!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:26:57 AM EDT
[#49]
She sounds dumb as fuck...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:38:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'd say shes a "8 beer"  type of gal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"sexually attractive"

I don't think she knows what that term means.

I'd say shes a "8 beer"  type of gal.

No way bro.  I'd need at LEAST a fifth of Jack for that to go down.  And only if she didn't talk.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top