Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Smoked mullet over oak.  with Crystal hot  sauce on the side
Gag Grouper-  fried or blackened
Pompano - baked en papillote with crab and lobster stuffing.  
catfish - breaded and fried with hushpuppies
Cod - breaded and fried with chips
Salmon - wild not farm raised

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#2]
shark marinated in thousand island and bbq'd.

Don't leave any leftovers.   the next day.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Fried- perch, bluegill, crappie or walleye
Grilled/Blackened- mahi mahi, tuna or rockfish
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Really?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've heard it's great-nobody eats it because everyone says it sucks. Very few people have actually tried it, or even know someone who's tried it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Toss-up for me.
Fresh walleye or fresh lake perch.  The walleye could be grilled or battered and deep fried, the perch should be battered and deep fried.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Sea Bass, Grouper, and Mahi.

Blackened when I can get it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

LMB is more of a sportfish than anything else.  Plenty of other better and safer fish to eat, I wouldn't touch em.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Large Mouth Bass.

Firm sweet meat. No I don't always catch and release. I eat them.

EBR

Yep. Bass from good clean water are very tasty. I always get a from friends and family when I post pics of my fishing trip hauls on Facebook that include stringers full of trout and bass. Like the most common gamefish in America is endangered or something

They never seem to mind when I supply 50lbs of filets for our annual fish-fry family reunion though.

LMB is more of a sportfish than anything else.  Plenty of other better and safer fish to eat, I wouldn't touch em.

Is it walleye? No.
Is it tasty, common and easy to catch? Yes

If you're worried about it's safety, you probably shouldn't eat anything out of that water. It's no more of a hazard than any other predatory fish. A two year old LMB isn't any less safe than a two year old walleye, pike, trout or striper from the same water.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bunch a fru fru, citified, nancy boys up here,  The only acceptable answer is catfish with hushpuppies and fries that were fried in the stinky oil the fish were fried in and chased by prestigious amounts of PBR.
View Quote

this . so much this ....
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Large Mouth Bass.

Firm sweet meat. No I don't always catch and release. I eat them.

EBR
View Quote

I've almost gotten into fights when people found out I wasn't going to release a legal bass. I have no problem releasing sub-legal fish but if it's legal it meets my frying pan, especially if caught out of cold(er) water. Mid summer, bathtub temperature water, I don't bother fishing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Halibut or salmon
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Catfish and swai
View Quote

Swai is catfish, just labeled with a different name to show it's not American catfish. The same fish is in the pet department under the name iridescent shark, and if you'd seen the water conditions it's raised in you wouldn't eat it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#13]
broiled hog Fish
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've heard it's great-nobody eats it because everyone says it sucks. Very few people have actually tried it, or even know someone who's tried it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've tried it smoked and pickled, neither were worth a shit. We bought land with a 2 acre farm pond that was completely overrun with common carp. Nothing else was in there except shiners and we wanted to stock it and make a decent fishing hole. Started bowfishing, using tannerite, and shocking to kill everything so with the surplus of fresh carp I decided to look up some old time Appalachian recipes for suckerfish.

The smoked carp tasted exactly like cat food smells. The pickled was edible, but nothing close to tasty. Asians seem to love steamed carp, but they also love bird nests and elk cock so their tastebuds aren't to be trusted.

On the other hand, river suckers are very good eating. I wouldn't have believed it but a friend from Missouri brought some on a hunting trip. It's really bony so the meat is scored into something resembling curly fries then fried with onions and taters. Tastes very similar to yellow perch. I wish we had them in my area, I'd stop chasing the tiny pockets of perch we have near me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Yellowtail and Wahoo.  Bluefin/Yellowfin

All fresh.  Nothing like eating it the day or day after you catch it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#16]
King Salmon, and Steelhead.

I can tear up a mess of Perch too.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Salmon,trout,halibut,orange roughy,sturgeon & grouper.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've almost gotten into fights when people found out I wasn't going to release a legal bass. I have no problem releasing sub-legal fish but if it's legal it meets my frying pan, especially if caught out of cold(er) water. Mid summer, bathtub temperature water, I don't bother fishing.
View Quote

Were said catchand-release-fags in a $100,000 sparkly purple boat?

I really enjoy flounder or cobia. Fresh caught by me of course.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Big thick grouper filet, marinated in Italian dressing and grilled over charcoal like a steak.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Crispy whole flounder is the only fish I want to eat at a restaurant,and the place I used to get it closed down.
Scored on both sides,seasoned and dredged in flour then fried.
Should cover the entire plate.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Local sculpin a.k.a. Pacific scorpionfish filets, lightly breaded and broiled.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, but they watched way too many shows featuring sparkly boats.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Usually the same guys that set the hook on every single bite like they're expecting a goliath grouper to hit their Roostertail on Lake Lanier. They also like to adjust their drag to the weight of the fish instead of the strength of their line to make that 14" bass seem like it's really giving them a good fight
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Striper.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Northern Pike.

/endthread
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Battered and deep fried.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Oh, I'm hungry, after seeing that.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Rockfish.... ahem... Striped Bass... is too important of a fishery, we put em all back regardless of size.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My favorites:

- Rockfish
- Swordfish
- Mahi Mahi
- Grouper
- Red Snapper

I am amazed that no one has mentioned Rockfish yet.

Rockfish.... ahem... Striped Bass... is too important of a fishery, we put em all back regardless of size.

They aren't land locked in most of VA, they are wild and spend part of the time in the ocean and part of the time in the rivers. People catch and keep them in VA.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Trust me, it sucks, unless you take extreme measures to limit it suckiness.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've herd they are full of bones.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They aren't land locked in most of VA, they are wild and spend part of the time in the ocean and part of the time in the rivers. People catch and keep them in VA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My favorites:

- Rockfish
- Swordfish
- Mahi Mahi
- Grouper
- Red Snapper

They are stocked in Anna and Gaston as well, as far as I know people keep and eat them there too.  

I thought landlocked striper fishing for keeps was a thing?  Do they catch and release simply to keep the population there for catch and release fishing?  "Important fishery" to me means "it tastes good and people want to eat them"
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My favorites:

- Rockfish
- Swordfish
- Mahi Mahi
- Grouper
- Red Snapper

We keep them here in GA too. They really do a number on trout populations, to the point that a lot of baitshops sell 8-10" rainbows as bait for trolling stripers.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Wahoo
Cobia
Grouper
Dolphin (if it's called mahi it tastes like tourist)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do know that's true, that's why the one in the linked photo looks like it was in a bread slicer. I've also heard smaller ones taste better-that's why I haven't eaten one-most I catch are 10-35 pounds. Fun, but bigger than I want to cut up just to sample edibility.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Salmon.

Marinated in honey and mustard.

Throw in oven at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.

I have it at least twice per week.

I never get sick of it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Sockeye salmon.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#37]
raw tuna
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Bluegill, Walleye.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Walleye if it's done right.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fish boils are actually a sub-set of cultures in WI so actually sort of infrequent.  

Mostly it's the Great Lake shore communities with tourist activity that does them. Lots of the fish is flown in anyway for those. Not enough shellfish around not to. It's quite a production.  But, you don't get those in Mosinee or Packwaukee because it takes a big restaurant and a big crowd to make it worthwhile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand whatever fish is used in the Wisconsin fish boils are delicious.  Where are the cheeseheads braggin' on this in this thread?

Myself?  I like walleye and love halibut.  And crappie.  And bluegill.  And perch.
Fish boils are actually a sub-set of cultures in WI so actually sort of infrequent.  

Mostly it's the Great Lake shore communities with tourist activity that does them. Lots of the fish is flown in anyway for those. Not enough shellfish around not to. It's quite a production.  But, you don't get those in Mosinee or Packwaukee because it takes a big restaurant and a big crowd to make it worthwhile.

You know your fish boils, friend.  We like Fitzgerald's in Genoa City, Wi.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#43]
walleye for frying with catfish a close second, halibut and salmon for broiling.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Deep fried titty bream
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#45]
There are two categories:  Salt Water Fish...........Fresh Water Fish.   Everything within those categories.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Raw tuna.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Red Snapper, Flounder, Wahoo, Grouper,

But if I had to pick one it would be Ling(Cobia).
View Quote

This.
Exactly this.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#48]
This kind.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Fresh caught broiled Mackerel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Sea Bass, Grouper, and Mahi.

Blackened when I can get it.
View Quote

These would my 3 exactly. Although I call them Rock Bass.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top