Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I had an 89 shadow es turbo.  That car was a damn hoot,  especially when I made a makeshift boost controller.  As the body was shot I picked up the most grandma worthy 89 Sundance and converted the interior from the auto components with the manual components from the es.  With 10 lbs of boost that fucker would put a good challenge to lots of fast cars.  

My buddy has a csx-t that we did a 2.4 motor with a Holset HX40 usually running 14 lbs mounted on top of a quick spool valve.  HOLY  FUCK!
That thing is shit your pants fast.  On a set of street legal slicks it will spank vetted all day long.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#2]
NO FWD CAR CAN TOUCH  A TURBO COBALT SS! PEROID. END  OF ALL GUESSING AND SUPPOSITION!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a Dodge Daytona "Shelby Z" or some such nonsense; about the most fun you could have on a K-car chassis. At the same time, I happened upon a Dodge Caravan turbo with a floor shifted 5spd and set out to build the ultimate sleeper.

Returned to my love of the Porsche 928 and the FWD cars were forgotten and sold.

CSB about the minivan; my lesbo neighbor about beat my door down when she saw the for sale sign in the van, she bought it that day, and I made a new car buddy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The reason FWD performance American cars are so forgettable is that they suck ass. they could maybe do one thing well at a time.

you could have one that was mildly quick. but it had terrible torque steer, or handled like complete shit because it had a overbearing lump of a engine hanging over the front. They defined 'understeer'

or you could have one that handled well, but due to its abysmal engine and weight had terrible acceleration. Probably the best was the Neon ACR, because its light weight ment it could overcome its shitty engine, and they handled OK. still had shitty torque steer.

There has never been a performance FWD American car because American manufactures have a terrible idea about how to make a good car.. they think, if you want a small car you must be poor, so you get the cheapest thing they could create, if you want performance car, nothing matters but street light to street light, but the suspension is gonna be made out of marshmellows and the car is going to, amazingly, feel heavier then it actually is, because they believe the heavy feel is also associated with quality.  the power steering is going to be over powered and vague, because again, light power steering must mean its good.

You can't place them in the same class as cars like the Corrado SLC, GTI,  or Acura Integra, civic Si because they were simply out classed in every way. these cars handled better, accelerated faster got better mileage, were safer, more comfortable. pretty much did everything right. sure you could build a fast SRT 4 or that pile of shit supercharged cobalt, which was great if you were under 25 and flipped burgers, but the car was a embarrassing pile of shit for adults to own (so was the civic really).

in short, they did everything wrong, or cheaply, or its obvious they are scrambling to catch up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Define forgotten but on a racetrack if I have to have "domestic front wheel drive" a new Focus ST is the tits.

Sucks butt on the street though.
View Quote

I love mine. I haven't had it on a track yet though
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Eagle Talon
Plymouth Laser
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dodge Omni GLH-S
View Quote

This is the correct answer
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#8]
There were a couple of different versions of the Ford EXP in 1985, my dad was working for a tool and die shop that did work for Chrysler and Ford in the 80's so we got a lot of vehicles from both makers over a short period of time.

One EXP (85, I think) had a 2bbl Holley carb and it would smoke the  fuel injected versions.  We also had a Mustang SVO (RWD) and the EXP was really quick from the start.  Later we had a Shelby Charger, a Plymouth Turismo Duster, and a Shadow Turbo.  Horrible cheap plastic interiors and no engine longevity but they were peppy as hell.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Oh yes.

That bitch had WILD torque steer-having to row the wheel side to side for every gear change on the boost.

Nick

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#10]
my '98 deville kicks ass.

clown
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Buick/Olds 3.8 series II super charcged or NA, FTW!!!!!

View Quote

Came here to post this. We had three of them in the family at one point. Two were totalled by my can'tdriveworthafuck younger siblings and the trans went out on the last one.

They were about 6 seconds 0-60. Not as fast as I remember.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#12]
For its day the Dodge shadow was surprisingly quick.  IIRC 220HP, 0-60 around low 6's
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Regal GS with the super charged 3.8
View Quote

This was the sleeper car of the decade.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Eagle Talon
Plymouth Laser
View Quote

both actually Mitsubishis.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Gen 1 Taurus SHO.

3.0 Yamaha V6
Fully forged internals from factory
Distributorless engine design with a coil per bank all back in 1988
8K+ redline
5 speed manual
One of the best looking modern engines

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

The Oldsmobile Toronado is a personal luxury car produced by the Oldsmobile division of General Motors from 1966 to 1992. Designed to compete with the Ford Thunderbird and GM's own Buick Riviera, the Toronado is historically significant as the first U.S.-produced front-wheel drive automobile since the demise of the Cord in 1937.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Toronado

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b9/66Toronado.jpg/1024px-66Toronado.jpg

Had a high school buddy that drove a 1969 Tornado with a 455ci V8 in it. We had it to 140 mph on a long stretch of Nevada highway. FWD burnouts in the HS parking lot were fun. It's a wonder we didn't kill ourselves in that car.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#17]
A couple of the previously mentioned cars (EXP, Citation, Impulse) weren't even moderately fast/performance vehicles. They were 10 sec 0-60 and 16-18 second 1/4 mile cars.

Quick wrong wheel drive cars I think of are the Dodge turbo cars of the 80's (GLH,GLH-S,Shadow CSX, Daytona Shelby Z),the Diamond star turbo cars of the 90's (Talon, Eclipse,Laser), the SHO, and the Grand Prix GTP/Regal GS.

There are many more as you get in the 2000's but you get the idea.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#18]
double tap

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Taurus SHO 6 cylinder stick would have me reaching for my wallet now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gen 1 Taurus SHO.

3.0 Yamaha V6
8K+ redline
5 speed manual

View Quote

Yamaha is pretty good at building engines.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gen 1 Taurus SHO.

3.0 Yamaha V6
8K+ redline
5 speed manual

Yup.  Do want.  Saw an automatic last year.  I'm sure that Cash for Clunkers (FHBO) killed a lot of good SHOs.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#22]
My buddy had a grand prix supercharged that was pretty damn fast.

The Eagle Talon Tsi(I think?) was a beast as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#23]
GM put that 5.3L V8 in A LOT more FWD cars than I thought.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Chevy Citation !!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#25]
May produce wood.......

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

The Oldsmobile Toronado is a personal luxury car produced by the Oldsmobile division of General Motors from 1966 to 1992. Designed to compete with the Ford Thunderbird and GM's own Buick Riviera, the Toronado is historically significant as the first U.S.-produced front-wheel drive automobile since the demise of the Cord in 1937.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b9/66Toronado.jpg/1024px-66Toronado.jpg

drool.....

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Taurus SHO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

And after you wrecked one, then you could yank the 455 off the transaxle & put it in a Firebird.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cobalt SS is supposed to be pretty quick.
View Quote

This and the HHR SS are both fast.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Dodge/Chrysler put a turbo in a bunch of their FWD cars in the 90's mid 80's and on.
View Quote

The Dodge Daytona Turbo/Chrysler Laser Turbo were some pretty cool and advanced vehicles.

http://www.allpar.com/model/daytona.html

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2006/02/01/hmn_feature15.html

Eagle Talon TSi was pretty cool also.

http://www.allpar.com/model/eagle-talon.html

Granted there was a lot of Mitsubishi involvement in these vehicles.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#31]
2004-2005 Dodge Neon SRT4 with a limited slip diff. These cars can put down some serious hp with a few mods. They are no slouch in stock form either.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Dodge Omni GLH-S
View Quote

GoesLikeHell-Some more  

Friend of mine had one and that little can on wheels would move.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Dodge Stealth twin turbo?
View Quote

Wasn't that a re-branded mitsubishi?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Twin to the 3000GT

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Eagle Talon

Plymouth Laser
View Quote

Yup

That's what we drove around in....that and the Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo

They'd do about 145 stock and smoke just about anything else on the road

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
my '98 deville kicks ass.

clown
View Quote

Cadillacs are no joke.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eagle Talon
Plymouth Laser

Quoted:
Quoted:

Phooey!  DSM's were built in Illinois.

If you wanna break balls then the Taurus SHO with the Yamaha motor is also DQ'd.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Any of the 80's Mopar 4 cyl turbo vehicles.

The supercharged 3.8L GM's were impressive

5.3L Impala and Monte Carlo SS

Neon SRT-4

Olds Aurora

Northstar Caddies

edit:

I forgot about the older v6 and v8 Taurus SHO's.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

1969 GT 455/400hp

My mom had one. Tromp it on a yellow light and it would light the tires through the intersection and she would go oops. It likes to go 95 on the interstate. Dad almost lost his license on points.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Twin to the 3000GT

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Twin to the 3000GT

The turbo versions were AWD though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
1969 GT 455/400hp

My mom had one. Tromp it on a yellow light and it would light the tires through the intersection and she would go oops. It likes to go 95 on the interstate. Dad almost lost his license on points.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

1969 GT 455/400hp

400hp back then was about 200hp right?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Taurus SHO

Neon SRT-4

Some of the older Olds' were pretty quick back in high school.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Also, the Maxima and Altima with the big engines were/are DAMN quick
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This was the king of "Torque Steering" ..gaaaahhhhh!!! It won't turrrnnnn!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taurus SHO.

This was the king of "Torque Steering" ..gaaaahhhhh!!! It won't turrrnnnn!!!

Every car I owned was RWD, so when I took my aunt's SHO to get lunch one day, I had a fun surprise when I gave it the boot trying to turn out of the lot into traffic.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Can't be sure about the Tornado, but my Dad had a then new 1975 Eldorado and it was RWD with a 520 cubic inch behemoth under the hood.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The late 60's-early 70's olds tornado and cadillac eldorados..385 hp and 475 ft lbs of torque..and they were tanks.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/66Toronado.jpg

http://atxcarpics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/yellow-eldorado-front-quarter-view-convertible.jpg

Can't be sure about the Tornado, but my Dad had a then new 1975 Eldorado and it was RWD with a 520 cubic inch behemoth under the hood.  

The '75 Eldo was front wheel drive only, and the 8.2 litre (500ci) V8 was the only engine available.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I had an 85 Shelby Charger with the 2.2 turbo. Peppy.. when it ran
http://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/122497-500-0.jpg?rev=1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dodge Omni GLH-S

I had an 85 Shelby Charger with the 2.2 turbo. Peppy.. when it ran
http://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/122497-500-0.jpg?rev=1

we melted the motor in one of these going from NJ to FL, right about 1/2 way thru Georgia
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#48]
A king of low production Dodge FWD cars was the 1992 Daytona IROC r/t. It came with a 224 HP  turbo 16 valve engine that set its 0-60 time in the sub 6 second class with the !/4 mile coming in just under 14 seconds. The biggest problem was that the cylinder head was prone to cam failures and the company(Lotus) that made them had no spare parts after the original production run was completed. The was a guy in Wilkes Barre that had one in the dealers garage for over 2 years waiting for parts replacement under warranty... I have no idea whether he ever got the car back from the dealer
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

1969 GT 455/400hp

I was a little kid but it would throw you back in the seat.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Srt4

Dcr and realtune  mod some serious power
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top