Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Stew
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That looks like some tasty chili. Nice post, and congrats on using all the $3 cooking terms. When you "deglaze" the "crusty fond" can you put this in laymen's terms? All I can figure is something I saw in an old Jenna Jamison movie...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
When it's good and brown, add it to the pot.  You'll have a nice crusty fond on the bottom of your skillet.  Deglaze this with some of the beer (make sure to save enough for each batch to come) and then pour off that...

That looks like some tasty chili. Nice post, and congrats on using all the $3 cooking terms. When you "deglaze" the "crusty fond" can you put this in laymen's terms? All I can figure is something I saw in an old Jenna Jamison movie...

Fond is just the stuff left in the bottom of the pan after you dump out the meat, and it contains about half of the flavor.  Deglazing is pouring any water-based liquid in to that hot pan and scraping with a spoon or whisk to loosen the fond and dissolve it so you can add it back to the finished dish (or make a pan sauce).  BTW, I don't ordinarily do this in cast iron, but it was already out and hot from toasting the spices.  I generally prefer my stainless saute pan for searing and sauce-building.

The $3 dollar terms are free if you watch any cooking shows (unless you have cable, in which case interpolate your own costs).  They also save you some excess typing, unless someone asks you to explain them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like spicy spaghetti sauce. Beans red kidney type. No rice no other mystery ingredients.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never seen a thread in GD contain so much win in the OP and so much stupid in the responses.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I think beans belong in chilli, but I would eat the fuck outta OP's spicy stew!

Yummy!
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Chili = meat, peppers, other ancillary spices.  A thickener is allowed. Everything else requires a disclaimer. Ie chili with cheese,chili with beans, vegetarian chili, spaghetti and chili.  It is not that they are necessarily inherently all wrong, but they are not simply chili.  Kind of like chicken fajitas
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top