Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:51:21 AM EDT
[#1]
My dad used to speak Swedish when he was around his brothers.
First time I heard him speak it I was freaked out, he didn't sound like my dad.
I think I was 6 or so.
When my dad met my father-in-law they had a pretty good conversation in Swedish.
He never tried to teach us kids how to speak it.

My mom used to speak Italian to her mother whenever they were mad with each other.
When my mom and her younger brother went to Italy a few years back they spent a couple of days relearning Italian with their sisters.
She never tried to teach us kids how to speak it.

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Been slowly working on learning irish. Was gifted the irish rosetta stone stuff and it is pretty good shit.

Only language I am really interested in learning.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:03:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dude, did you just watch Braveheart or something?
View Quote

us dirty Micks like to fight. And always have.

Irish Descendants - Come Out Ye'' Black And Tans
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:04:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how useful Russian, Polish and German would be. 
View Quote

Do you play EVE online?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:05:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:06:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Hallo, wie gehts?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:09:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:10:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wish I spoke Gaelic.

This shit hits me staight in the feels, and I wish I could understand it.
it feels like I'm missing a connection to my ancestors.
Especially since its a song mourning the end of a battle.
go dtí ar neamh

zxjvNUNXhkU
View Quote

This song is amazing on a good set of speakers.  Big floorstanders preferrably.  

Here's another good one:
"Fear a'' Bhàta" - CAPERCAILLIE

ETA: WTF is up with the yuuuuuge space at the bottom?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:16:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want to learn a language then learn English as spoken in Britain with all its nuances and slang
Then you'll really be on to summat
View Quote

[brit]oi, fuck off cunt[/brit]
I'm an american. My family is Irish AF. They arent Brits. I grew up as an American and wish id beeen raised to speak both Engligh and Gaelic. So as to not be a Torry cunt.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:28:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes.  German is such an elegant language, it's music to the ear.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:30:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:31:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You dont feel a connection to your kin (language aside)?
Like a connection to those, the warriors, servants, craftsmen, nobles who came before you? The ancestors who will be waiting at the gates? The collective wisdom garnered over the ages that used to be honored but has now been cast by the wayside?
It's your lineage man. It's bigger than you will ever be.

They are your blood. You may not know them by name, but you know htem by history.  By legacy.

I hear this and I feel  connection to those who created, destroyed, sacrificed for their kin. Those who contributed their blood to me. I feel that I am a part of them. And that being said I feel ike I want to understand who I am, who I came from. The thousands upon thousands of years of heritage. I feel a connection to my ancestors who would die for what they believed in. Why? Because my family is still that way. I am still that way. I feel that there is a lineage that I am honoring by my current lifestyle, or at least I hope I am honoring. I feel a lineage that I am proud to be a part of for eternity. And I want to know that lineage because they will be greeting me at the gates.

Are you not part of a warrior tradition?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:45:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Aye, fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:45:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Donald duck of yourself Septic, i'm more Irish than you. bof parents from Belfast and I (although not born there) lived there until 12 never learned Gaelic but can totally converse in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as 'eaven and 'ell as many local styles.
You ain't got a Scooby so shut your Norf & Souf
View Quote

eat a fat bag of dick, and pour yourself another pint of Stella Artois while you wank your Brit tally.
Who the fuck are you to say where the shit my family is from?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:47:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Most didn't.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:48:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

eat a fat bag of dick, and pour yourself another pint of Stella Artois while you wank your Brit tally.
Who the fuck are you to say where the shit my family is from?
View Quote

He was joking, FFS. Calm your titties, son.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:51:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He was joking, FFS. Calm your titties, son.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:04:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No
View Quote

I'm waiting for the "family crest" tattoos to show up.

This thread smells vaguely of the "I wish I joined the military, if only I didn't catch the sickle cell, something I'll regret for the rest of my life"

Learn the language if you want to, good grief.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:10:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:33:58 AM EDT
[#20]
My Mom is still mad that my grandparents refused to let her and my Uncles speak Russian.

"You're good American children, not poor stupid peasants."

I, on the other hand, recall speaking to both of my Grandparents in kitchen Slovak (As opposed to formal, correct Russian). They both passed before I was 10, I can follow bits and pieces of a conversation, but I really need to try Rosetta Stone. Exposure to a different language at a young age was a boon for me, I learned to speak some German when I was stationed in Germany, Korean in Korea, Spanglish in Texas and insult Arabs 16 different ways.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I am fluent in Appalachian.

If my dead ancestors want to speak to me......they better get Rosetta ByGawd Stone.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:56:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Not in the least.

It would be cool to speak Norwegian, or German, or Swedish, or Gaelic, or Polish, or some other language that is part of my heritage, but I don't believe I've lost out on much by not knowing those languages. My ancestors didn't uproot their entire lives and get on a boat to cross an ocean and start over for no good reason...
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#23]
There is no way i could speak Finnish. Some one laid up with a Scottish woman
rode the boat, ended up in north carolina. They ventured through the Cumberland Gap ( while learning english) ended up in a state called Tennessee.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wish I spoke Gaelic.

This shit hits me staight in the feels, and I wish I could understand it.
it feels like I'm missing a connection to my ancestors.
Especially since its a song mourning the end of a battle.
go dtí ar neamh

zxjvNUNXhkU</iframe></iframe></iframe></iframe>
View Quote

pap ma ha
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Dad's family spoke English. Mom's family spoke French. Mom wanted us to speak English so we could be successful in America.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I would answer, but apparently there are no words for yes or no in Gaelic. 
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Pretty sure my ancestors wanted to forget as much of WWII Germany as they could.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I find it hard now to communicate in Polish on a daily basis now & have the wife do all the talking for me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Nyet
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Most of my ancestors did speak English.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My family spoke Welsh. I like alphabets with letters other than L and F in them.
View Quote

This. Vowels are good.

The other half of my family speaks Polish, which is nothing BUT vowels.

Not even the Welsh speak welsh, and no one but the Poles speak polish. Everyone understands english...well, unless they owe you money, then they no habla
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 7:53:26 AM EDT
[#32]
And what purpose would this serve besides feels?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#33]
OP is weird.

You're an american dude.  Give it up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#34]
The Angles were a Germanic people who invaded, conquered, and settled in the area that came to be known as Angland, i.e. England on the British Isle. Original Anglish i.e. English was a Germanic tongue. It was a newer language relatively speaking, so it borrowed widely from many other languages and evolved over the centuries into what's spoken today.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#35]
English descent master race reporting in. There is a lot of cultural appropriation going on here.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#36]
While none of my living ancestors speak anything other than English. I wish I was taught Spanish young, it be saving me a whole lot of time and effort now. After Spanish I'm not sure what I'll want to learn.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Richt in the feels OP....

Dad and I never made it back to the old country before he died so I'm going to have to take my boy when he is old enough.

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#38]
My ancestors came here to contribute and to assimilate into what we had going on here. They busted their asses and educated themselves. In doing so, they were brought over on a luxury ship, at the expense of their new employers to run luxury hotels in NYC for the Astor family.

They wanted nothing more than to become proud Americans. And that's what we've been ever since. Not some hyphenated conglomerate.

They lived the lives here they could have only dreamed of.....until the Great Depression

It's been a slow steady battle back since then.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wish I spoke Gaelic.
View Quote

It's on Duolingo. Go try it out.

I'm slowly and painfully working on it. It's a fucking nightmare of a language. How the fuck do you go that long without the word "have"?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#40]
NOPE
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#41]
If I spoke all my ancestors languages I would have to learn about 5 of them.  And my kids would have to add Russian, Italian and two Italian dialects on top of it.  

America is great not because it is diverse, but because a diverse group of people came together and said that there must be a better way to live.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#42]
My grandfather told me that if they spoke German in the US during WWII they got their asses beat by kids in school, I guess we would call the hate crime now.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#43]
America was a hell of a lot better for my dad's family than Ireland. As far as I know, my Irish kinfolk are shitbags and terrorists anyway.

A lot of my Finnish kinfolk still speak the language. It'd be interesting to know, but I won't lose any sleep over it. Too many fucking vowels anyway.

Mom's family are English and Norwegians that settled in Denmark and England ( lulz theory is they got drunk and missed the boat when the Norge went a-raiding), but have been in the US since before it was the US. Last member of that family left Copenhagen near the end of when Christian IV was king. ETA I lied, they made a pit stop in the Netherlands first.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm a naturalized citizen who was born in Germany and whose parents were British and Serbian. My father's parents were Russian and German and he was fluent in about five languages, but was learning English when he met my mother (both were working for United Nations Relief Organization after WW II).

As a kid in Buffalo, my father would regularly listen to radio stations in Polish and Ukrainian, and often spoke to friends in Russian and Serb. He spoke none of those languages to my sister or myself at home. I never gave it much thought until years later, when I realized how much of an advantage being multi lingual could be. Honestly though, he never talked about his past at all, which I attribute to his years spent in a Nazi slave labor camp. I really envy people with language skills.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#45]
The rest of the world doesn't speak Choctaw.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Nope. Finnish sucks. My grandmother tried to teach it to me, it was brutal lol
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Certainly not.  There's not a huge market for Welsh speakers.

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm waiting for the "family crest" tattoos to show up.
View Quote

This lol. People fall for that hokey shit at Renfests
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm also Irish. Never really wanted to speak Gaelic, but the song is cool.

I was thinking about my ancestors the other day. I can only go back as far as my great grandfather. It sucks because I want to know more. I'd love to know what my family looked like 500 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#50]
I already speak my ancestors' language.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top