Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im also trying to wrap my brain around a 25 yard self defense situation........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you are shooting at 25 yards or so, better have good reason.
Im also trying to wrap my brain around a 25 yard self defense situation........
The distance between my master bedroom's door, down the hall, to the far wall of my living room is a 21 yard straight shot.

And I have a very average sized ranch house.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There it is everyone, all hat no cattle. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@daa9mm you should totally post up your training and experience so everyone can know how authoritative you are when it comes to these threads. 
I don't need to impress others with my vast expanse of firearms knowledge like you do for everyone to know that a 12 ga with 9 .33" caliber balls in a 10" pattern is far more lethal in a center mass hit than a lung pass through with a single .308" projectile.
Neither do most others that have hit flesh and killed with 00 buck AND a centerfire rifle on different creatures, two legged or 4 legged.
We should take your opinion as gospel that anyone with a shotgun and 00 buckshot are under armed against the Scarface movie type assault that killed Al Pacino because we all face that type home invasion and we all need to be prepared for it.
Dude, you need to slow your roll. He already knows all the knowledge about killing things, both 2 legged and 4 legged. He doesn't need to impress you. He knows.

Maybe you are the one who should get some knowledge about how devastating shotguns are. Put on your knowledge hat because I am taking you to math school. Nine, .38 caliber projectiles equals out to a diameter of 3.42 inches versus .223 inches or .308 inches for a rifle. Your welcome.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well said brother. I think part of the dicksuckery going on in this thread is the OP didn't clearly specify whether this is a "which would you rather take into a 25yd gunfight", or "which would you rather land 1 shot on somebody with at 25 yds"

His wording between thread title and body would lead somebody to think its option 2. In which case i'd rather get 1 shot off with 12ga 00 buck or a 12ga slug.

That being said i'd rather bring a semi auto mag fed 308 to a gunfight all day every day without a second guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For this contrived scenario I'd choose 12 ga. Slugs.

For real world I'll pick a semiauto detachable magazine fed .308 rifle.

The limitations of shotguns (ergos, recoil, magazine capacity) aren't the rounds at close range that's thier strong suit. shotguns are specialized tools that lack utility. Especially when compared to a fighting rifle.
Well said brother. I think part of the dicksuckery going on in this thread is the OP didn't clearly specify whether this is a "which would you rather take into a 25yd gunfight", or "which would you rather land 1 shot on somebody with at 25 yds"

His wording between thread title and body would lead somebody to think its option 2. In which case i'd rather get 1 shot off with 12ga 00 buck or a 12ga slug.

That being said i'd rather bring a semi auto mag fed 308 to a gunfight all day every day without a second guess.
OP did clearly specify his intent.  It's just a generic GD shotgun HD thread. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dude, you need to slow your roll. He already knows all the knowledge about killing things, both 2 legged and 4 legged. He doesn't need to impress you. He knows.

Maybe you are the one who should get some knowledge about how devastating shotguns are. Put on your knowledge hat because I am taking you to math school. Nine, .38 caliber projectiles equals out to a diameter of 3.42 inches versus .223 inches or .308 inches for a rifle. Your welcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@daa9mm you should totally post up your training and experience so everyone can know how authoritative you are when it comes to these threads. 
I don't need to impress others with my vast expanse of firearms knowledge like you do for everyone to know that a 12 ga with 9 .33" caliber balls in a 10" pattern is far more lethal in a center mass hit than a lung pass through with a single .308" projectile.
Neither do most others that have hit flesh and killed with 00 buck AND a centerfire rifle on different creatures, two legged or 4 legged.
We should take your opinion as gospel that anyone with a shotgun and 00 buckshot are under armed against the Scarface movie type assault that killed Al Pacino because we all face that type home invasion and we all need to be prepared for it.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The limitations of shotguns (ergos, recoil, magazine capacity) aren't the rounds at close range that's thier strong suit. shotguns are specialized tools that lack utility. Especially when compared to a fighting rifle.

Good call I totally missed the HD/SD part of his thread title for some reason.

The "I like to measure efficiency in joules and penetration" part of his post was making me think he was probably asking about getting 1 shot off with.

So basically what I get out of this thread now is OP sucks, my reading skills suck, and everything and everybody else sucks. 'Merica
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would go with 12ga 00 buckshot with flite control wad. Capacity may be less than a full mag of .308, but 8 in the tube and 6 or 7 more in a side saddle should be more than enough to deal with any defense situation you would ever encounter.
View Quote
So you must carry a revolver because they hit harder and 12-14 shots is more then enough for any defense situation you would ever encounter.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The "I like to measure efficiency in joules and penetration" part of his post was making me think he was probably asking about getting 1 shot off with.

So basically what I get out of this thread now is OP sucks, my reading skills suck, and everything and everybody else sucks. 'Merica
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL yea pretty sure the joules part was clowning around, given that threads like this by nature always devolve into people trying to argue merits based on very narrowly moved goal posts, instead of discussing the topic as a full system of ammo, weapon, shooter which it's what is actually is comprised of.  Which is why they always suck, but are at least entertaining. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
home defence? 25 yrd?

12 00 buck is a no brainer. slug would be interesting too.

you miss (or the 308 goes through your target) and that bullet is libel to end up in you neighbor's house or down the street in somone's car.

seems like fishing guides in alaska carry 12 gauge loaded with slugs. if its good enough for a browny it good enough for home invasions, though the buckshot would be my first choice in close-in.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP apparently did not realize he is in Arfcom GD.  None of the Arfcom GD Operators would ever be caught dead with a 12 gauge for anything.  In Arfcom GD 9metrosexual is ALWAYS the answer to any and every self defense question.  Next is the 5.56, then the .308, then 7.62, then .22lr.  Arfcom GD even prefers .38 Special as self defense round well before .45 ACP, which is rated by Arfcom GD experts near the bottom of the lethality spectrum, just above the 12 gauge.

According to Arfcom GD expert operators, the 12 gauge is completely worthless for human targets, even point blank, regardless of load.  However its 100% deadly to humans on the other side of walls, the next house over or even the next block due to overpenetration issues.  According to Arfcom GD experts the 12 gauge is barely sufficient for hollow boned birds, most of these experts prefer a 20 gauge or even a .410.

Ironically, while Arfcom GD expert operators completely dismiss the 12 gauge as a self defense weapon against humans, the 12 gauge is widely supported as super lethal to charging grizzly bears due to their very thick and tough hide and need for large caliber deep penetration.  Unfortunately, the ability of a 12 gauge slug to massively and deeply penetrate a bear does not translate to any lethality whatsoever to humans.

I thank the Lord daily for the wisdom of Arfcom GD.
View Quote
 Well said
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
home defence? 25 yrd?

you miss (or the 308 goes through your target) and that bullet is libel to end up in you neighbor's house or down the street in somone's car.

seems like fishing guides in alaska carry 12 gauge loaded with slugs. if its good enough for a browny it good enough for home invasions, though the buckshot would be my first choice in close-in.
View Quote
Good thing common building materials stop slugs and buck then, right? 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#11]
These will take down anything in North America at 25yds.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I like to measure efficiency in joules and penetration
View Quote

This is why you fail.

Incapacitating hits over time.  That's the closet thing you're gonna get to a "math" answer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Follow- up shots are not a problem
Skip to about 40 seconds in to see 6 rapid slug shots starting a ~50 yds in to 30, a double tap on the last one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#14]
That extra curvy banana shotgun mag is by far the gayest thing I have ever seen. That's saying something cause I used to suck dick for crack.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
home defence? 25 yrd?

im not a ballistics expert, maybe one will chime in. but i would expect maybe incorrectly that a 308 bullet would penetrate more 'building' material than either 00 or slugs. I know both will go through some building material but i assumed that the risk would be less in a residential environment for the shotgun rounds.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Voted 12ga

My .308 (AR10) has an 18" barrel, wears a 4-16X scope and resides in the safe.  Not in my top 10 choices for HD.  I have handguns in the nightstand and a 12ga loaded with 00 Buck in the walk-in closet about 5 ft from my bed.  

.308 could be a better choice for HD, but it's not my choice.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Whoever makes the first hit will likely win.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not sure if trolling or not.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/323168/IMG-1325-173968.JPG
[rol]... well played poes law, well played. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not as good as 5.56 but still better than 12 ga for lot of the same reasons ,mostly centered around the weapon not as much as the caliber. 

Also, LOL@ all the already made analogies to hunting, and all of the ones to follow, since people are not animals and don't react the same.

LOL@ all the people who will talk about how great a shotgun is because of math, but don't actually train or HD type stuff with them to know their strengths and weaknesses. Which of course leads them to not being able to articulate anything of not and rely on shitty analogies and arguments based around narrow world views. (and butthurt) 

Also, can't wait to see the normal tryhads who will cry about people being "keyboard commando's".  
View Quote
The Poll doesn't specify a weapon, it is asking which ammo is better.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Benelli M1 tactical and a FAL, both have very similar sights, either would be accurate shooting a single shot or even rapid controlled fire but the M1 would literally shred the target apart with rapid fire shooting  9 rounds of 00 buckshot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#23]
against a soft target, no vehicle or armor?

12 gauge, federal flitecontrol buckshot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#24]
The 155g Amax is a dirty 308 round.  Short neck, rapid expansion, fragmentation and low risk of over penetration.  Its what I would use.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#25]
the 12 gauge certainly is the economy choice.
you can get an 870 express and 50 rounds of buckshot and slugs for $400.

I live in the country, expect a sizable 9-1-1 response time, so there's an AR with a light and a 9-shot Mossberg with a light in the bedside closet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Even if you have body armor on you are going down.
Federal flight control groups tight & your head will be leaking a lot at 25 yards.....

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

im not a ballistics expert, maybe one will chime in. but i would expect maybe incorrectly that a 308 bullet would penetrate more 'building' material than either 00 or slugs. I know both will go through some building material but i assumed that the risk would be less in a residential environment for the shotgun rounds.
View Quote
anything worth shooting defensively will penetrate common building materials at close range.
the buck will shed velocity more quickly, but it's all a wash inside your house.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Candy cane magazine of Dragon's Breath and Flechette rounds of course!
View Quote
you forgot the chained buckshot, in case you want to clear away his rigging.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Whoever makes the first hit will likely win.
View Quote
that applies in a fistfight, too.
this has led me to adopt a policy of "hit back, first".
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Florida Mom successfully employs the venerable 12 ga shotty.

Florida Mom
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:12:57 AM EDT
[#31]
20 round box magazine full of 7.62x51 NATO  175gr OTM is a LOT OF DEFENSE.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#32]
In my scenario I would choose the 12 gauge. 

My 308 is a bolt gun with a 4 round capacity. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:32:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:22:27 AM EDT
[#35]
For less than 25 yards in a house, I'd probably go with 12ga 00 buck.

308 could work well too, but bullet selection and charge would be important. Too much fps with an improper bullet could see it traveling straight through without transferring much energy to target, or it could fragment and not penetrate well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:38:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I keep a 20 round mag of DAG 7.62 in the RFB for social work.

I also keep the Super 90 full of Hexolit 32's.

So, "get both".
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:54:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

308 could work well too, but bullet selection and charge would be important. Too much fps with an improper bullet could see it traveling straight through without transferring much energy to target, or it could fragment and not penetrate well.
View Quote
You can check out what .308 soft points do to ballistic gelatin, it's burley as shit.  

Also, fragmenting .223 does a lot of damage and has a record of incapacitating tame apes pretty well.  There is no reason to assume fragmenting .308 at near three times the mass would not perform as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:00:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You can check out what .308 soft points do to ballistic gelatin, it's burley as shit.  

Also, fragmenting .223 does a lot of damage and has a record of incapacitating tame apes pretty well.  There is no reason to assume fragmenting .308 at near three times the mass would not perform as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fleet yaw effect on 5.56 has left some of the more graphic wounds I've seen, and I've seen hajji's shot and blown up by a wide range of things.  Think softball size hole of pulled pork sammich. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:39:36 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't even want to think about firing a .308 in an almost certainly indoor HD scenario.  My ears already hurt.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:49:26 AM EDT
[#40]
What if the bear breaking into my house is wearing armor and using cover?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:50:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't even want to think about firing a .308 in an almost certainly indoor HD scenario.  My ears already hurt.
View Quote
Same db as a shotgun or a .223.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:54:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nuclear.

Or bear spray and a rape whistle
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:05:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nuclear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nuclear.

I've heard people have had good results with curling into the fetal position and crying like a little girl...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:49:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Cite?

And that highlighted word is why a shotgun is a poor choice compared to a carbine.
View Quote
https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

Hmmm... Thanks for pointing that out. Can't really find anything in the FBI reports.

Max
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:54:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

More like 2900 ft-lbs for the .308.  The target won't tell the difference unless the guy w/ the booger hook on the trigger screws up.
View Quote
2900 ft-lbs for .308?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Fleet yaw effect on 5.56 has left some of the more graphic wounds I've seen, and I've seen hajji's shot and blown up by a wide range of things.  Think softball size hole of pulled pork sammich. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get the same effect with .308 in lighter bullet loads. Adding in another 1,000ft/lb of energy and you have a larger fragmented cavity.

7" TC out of a 155 amax

77gr 5.56 4.5" TC

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:44:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite?

And that highlighted word is why a shotgun is a poor choice compared to a carbine.
Interesting how all rifle calibers in his study, put the rile as being more fatal, and having a lower percentage of failed incapacitation than shotguns which 90% of were 12 gauge. Just goes to support Rifles>shotguns.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
Amax making some big holes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Interesting how all rifle calibers in his study, put the rile as being more fatal, and having a lower percentage of failed incapacitation than shotguns which 90% of were 12 gauge. Just goes to support Rifles>shotguns.
View Quote
Hold up. So what you are saying is that the weapon that is the easiest to operate, reload and clear malfunctions, shoot close, medium and extended range targets with, that has a plethora of supporting equipment which can enhance low light/ no light fighting ability and also conceal the shooter's position, that also has a ton of aftermarket logistical support, is also the most lethal in documented encounters? Junk science.

Shotguns.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not as good as 5.56 but still better than 12 ga for lot of the same reasons ,mostly centered around the weapon not as much as the caliber. 

Also, LOL@ all the already made analogies to hunting, and all of the ones to follow, since people are not animals and don't react the same.

LOL@ all the people who will talk about how great a shotgun is because of math, but don't actually train or HD type stuff with them to know their strengths and weaknesses. Which of course leads them to not being able to articulate anything of not and rely on shitty analogies and arguments based around narrow world views. (and butthurt) 

Also, can't wait to see the normal tryhads who will cry about people being "keyboard commando's".  
View Quote
I'm throwing shotguns aside for the moment, and am curious for more info on 5.56>.308

I get capacity in the field, etc, but you seem to be just talking about ballistics.

(Pushes Starship Troopers button because wants to know more)
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top