User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Opens a stargate to another dimension.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the radio play down there? We have a button like that in the break room and it shuts off the speakers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the radio play down there? We have a button like that in the break room and it shuts off the speakers.
View Quote

no ambient music.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Odds are it is disconnected, and if it isn't then it creates an annoying ass alarm at a nurses station somewhere that will freak them out. Then piss them off cause they can't figure out what it goes to.

Just do it. Beg forgiveness... ask permission, something.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

There's no sign that says "Do Not Push", therefore, there's no reason not to push it.

You want to push it.

You need to push it.

Just thinking about it makes you want to push it.

Go ahead.

Push it.

Push.
The
Button.

View Quote

Your avatar + advocating pusing unknown buttons = humor
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Wife says I'm an expert in pushing buttons. Fly me down, Hans, we'll have a few drinks and see what happens...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
It's like a "DOOM" level.  You have to push the red button then pull the lever within 30 seconds to let the Minotaur out.
Kill him and you get to the next level.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Unlabeled buttons are best buttons.
View Quote

Many years ago, when my buddy and I were barely past immature college student age and we sometimes acted even younger, we went to eat at a college-town restaurant that was located in a converted big old Victorian house...very cool, they had interesting little nooks and crannies to seat people at, and we ended up seated at a small table off a back hallway.

Right above our small table on the wall was a single lightswitch, which we noticed as we looked at the artwork and the general décor around us while waiting on our order. My buddy could not resist, after asking me "what lights do you think this controls?" flipping it off once quickly, then back on. Nothing happened anywhere around us...the hallway stayed lit, and the larger rooms off the hallway that we could see (dens / library / living room / parlor / or whatever in the previous incarnation) all stayed lit. I told him to knock it off, then left to find the ladies' room to freshen up before our food arrived.

I came back just in time to sit back down at our table and see a very large, very angry man in a chef's coat and hat come barreling around the corner and come up to our table at glare accusingly at my buddy and tell him in no uncertain terms to "STOP PLAYING WITH THE LIGHTSWITCH!!" Apparently, my buddy was bored during the few minutes I was gone, and had amused himself by flicking the switch up and down as he stared around the room. (This was long before cell phones, where he could have amused himself playing a game on his phone or whatever.) Apparently, that switch did work whether we thought so or not, and controlled the lights in the kitchen, which had probably resembled a Halloween haunted house with spastic flickering lights with my buddy in charge.

I guess we were lucky the chef did not come out with a cleaver--that guy was seriously pissed! I was mortified. We had to get fast food after we left, because no way was I about to eat anything out of that kitchen after he pulled that stunt. I also did not want to just skip out on our meal. It was embarrassing at the time, but now one of our favorite "we were idiots when we were younger" stories. I still give him the stinkeye when he gets fidgety when we are hanging out in public places, though...he's a bit better, but not by much!

ETA...that was my long-winded way of saying "DON"T DO IT, OP!" No telling what irate being you could summon!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#9]
more info in the op but i'll also put here
This is at a hopsital.  This is in an corridor in the basement tunnel that connects two buildings.  It is a very low traffic area and is not near any patient care areas.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Ask the maintenance guy?

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Push it while screaming YOLO!!!

Quoted:

Ask the maintenance guy?

View Quote

If I had to guess, I would say it opens a set of nearby roll up doors or something. Anything more serious and it would be labelled. (I am a health care maintenance mechanic so yeah)

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a fackin' Trunk Monkey button right there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
To turn something on...
View Quote

or turn something off
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Put a label below it that says "Push For Help". Push the button. If you get in trouble, tell them you needed help.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
It IS the Ren & Stimpy button!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Just push the damn button already...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Go ahead. You know you want to.

Maybe it releases the Kraken.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This is at a hopsital.  This is in an corridor in the basement tunnel that connects two buildings.  It is a very low traffic area and is not near any patient care areas.
View Quote
Any of the nearby doors lockable electronically?  If so, it could be for when someone needs to exit from such an area they just press the button to get out.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#19]
When you push it are you getting fries or tots?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Data centers have a red button to cut all power to the room. But they usually have a cover.
View Quote

Usually being the operative word there. One of our techs hit an unlabeled, uncovered one because he thought it was an RTE button.  That did NOT go over very well......
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#21]
"Try to understand, this a high voltage laser containment system. Simply turning it off would be like dropping a bomb on the city"
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any of the nearby doors lockable electronically?  If so, it could be for when someone needs to exit from such an area they just press the button to get out.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there is a fire door that is propped open 24/7 that is about 8 feet to the left ouf of frame.  but as said earlier, the button is very high up on the wall I could propbably press it as i am tall.  anyone shorter than 5'10 or 6 foot or so would have issues getting to it with out a step stool or something.  

so i dont think it is an RTE button.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Do non hospital employees have access to said area?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#24]
it's an "Open the Border" button, oh wait, someone already pressed that button.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

its pretty high up on the wall.  i'm holding my camera above my head while taking this picture i'm 6'4'' seems to be intentionally more difficult to reach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe an air compressor E-stop?  I've seen those that aren't manual-reset in some places when the compressor uses an electromagnetic contactor.

ETA: Hospital?  Probably an emergency buzzer button.

its pretty high up on the wall.  i'm holding my camera above my head while taking this picture i'm 6'4'' seems to be intentionally more difficult to reach.

It's taunting you, looking down on you, it's better than you.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Salt-N-Pepa - Push It: http://youtu.be/vCadcBR95oU
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I don't care what they say about you man, that was great!

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks like a kill switch for an industrial device like a fan or a milling machine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Usually being the operative word there. One of our techs hit an unlabeled, uncovered one because he thought it was an RTE button.  That did NOT go over very well......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Data centers have a red button to cut all power to the room. But they usually have a cover.

Yeah, we have an emergency stop like that to shut the boilers down from outside the boiler room itself in an adjoining office in case of a gas leak or something, but as you said, it is covered and labelled as an E-Stop. Something just out in the open like that is a door controller most likely.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Do non hospital employees have access to said area?
View Quote

it is not a controlled access area, but is in a part of the hospital WAY the heck away from patient care areas.  so it would be exceedingly rare for a pt to be in this part of the building.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Another safe thread!  Fuck it.  In!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Prepare ur anus......
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've been watching their videos non-stop since about noon.

I think I have a massive crush on Olympia (The blonde one)
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

there is a fire door that is propped open 24/7 that is about 8 feet to the left ouf of frame.  but as said earlier, the button is very high up on the wall I could propbably press it as i am tall.  anyone shorter than 5'10 or 6 foot or so would have issues getting to it with out a step stool or something.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is against Joint Commission standards to leave doors like that propped open. And fire code for that matter. Just saying They can be magnetically held open but release if the fire system activates, but not "propped" open like with a door jam or something.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Every day I'm drinking...

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I worked in an amusement park maintenance shop as the oiler, filter changer and broomsman.  We serviced park vehicles as well as the park rides. The park had a propane fired steam engine train in which the old steam whistle was pulled off and replaced with a deeper toned whistle.  Somehow the old steam whistle ended up attached to the shop's one inch 180psi air line with an inline solenoid and mounted on top of a rafter directly above a hallway.  Of course, there was an unmarked red button sticking out of the wall of the hallway just below that rafter.  Later, a list of names with dates was started on the wall to memorialize people who pushed the button.  You would think a list of names in which some of the names have the added notations of "crapped" and "peed" would prevent people from pushing the button.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It is against Joint Commission standards to leave doors like that propped open. And fire code for that matter. Just saying They can be magnetically help open but release if the fire system activates, but not "propped" open like with a door jam or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is against Joint Commission standards to leave doors like that propped open. And fire code for that matter. Just saying They can be magnetically help open but release if the fire system activates, but not "propped" open like with a door jam or something.

it closes automatically in a fire emergency.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok then
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I worked in an amusement park maintenance shop as the oiler, filter changer and broomsman.  We serviced park vehicles as well as the park rides. The park had a propane fired steam engine train in which the old steam whistle was pulled off and replaced with a deeper toned whistle.  Somehow the old steam whistle ended up attached to the shop's one inch 180psi air line with an inline solenoid and mounted on top of a rafter directly above a hallway.  Of course, there was an unmarked red button sticking out of the wall of the hallway just below that rafter.  Later, a list of names with dates was started on the wall to memorialize people who pushed the button.  You would think a list of names in which some of the names have the added notations of "crapped" and "peed" would prevent people from pushing the button.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#42]
it converts all the 110 outlets to 220     .
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
it converts all the 110 outlets to 220     .
View Quote

Don't say things like that. He/she could be a nurse and they actually will believe something like that!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Where does the conduit go?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#45]
"Push the button, Frank!"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

straight up into the drop tile ceiling.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That's a fackin' Trunk Monkey button right there.
View Quote

Like this?

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every day I'm drinking...

Shit is amazing
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a ladder!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fire door should not be propped open BTW, any chance it is held by a magnet?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top