Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't do a vertical propane smoker that runs on chips. You'll hate the thing. Maybe get a Traeger Junior.

http://lakeland.craigslist.org/grq/4915997191.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#2]
traegers are horrible.  dad has one.  thing is always jamming up.  sheet metal and way over priced.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's pretty amazing. I have rarely heard of anyone doing well with a cheap offset smoker. Good on ya.e do

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get back to me when you try something other than pork butt, which even my retarded younger brother (if I had one) could cook.

I've done done:

Chicken
Beef Short Ribs
Pork Spare and Baby Backs
Pastrami {using Murphy&David's Corned Beef}
Turkey
yada yada

Just never have done a brisket... yet, sir.

BTW, she likes to hold at 215-220 {on the two Tel-Tru probes at each end} with Royal Oak.

That's pretty amazing. I have rarely heard of anyone doing well with a cheap offset smoker. Good on ya.e do

I've done everything including brisket but it gets real hard when it's cold or windy to maintain temp. I have since got a pitmaker and an egg. So much nicer  way less maintenance and uses way less charcoal

Try doing ribs on New Year's Eve in 10 degree weather and you'll see what I'm talking about. You cannot keep the heat
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

for a sub $300 smoker this is by far the way to go.  I can hold 225 low and slow for 18 hours on a single load of fuel with no problem.  and I can open it up and come to 650° + for searing steaks.  make's a mighty fine pizza oven as well.  the only thing I would get over this is a higher quality Kamado of some sort, but the better you get, the more money you spend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

for a sub $300 smoker this is by far the way to go.  I can hold 225 low and slow for 18 hours on a single load of fuel with no problem.  and I can open it up and come to 650° + for searing steaks.  make's a mighty fine pizza oven as well.  the only thing I would get over this is a higher quality Kamado of some sort, but the better you get, the more money you spend.

This, although mine is going on three years old now with little to no maintenance, and still looks and performs like new.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can get these at Lowes, Kroger, a few other places.  I bought one and then sold it to buy a Vision ceramic.....I think the Akorn Kamado was a lot better.  It is actually more efficient and used less lump.......and was much easier to heat up and cool down.  All for $199.

http://reviewtodo.com/char-griller-kamado-kooker-akorn-grillsmoker-review-part-1/
View Quote

I absolutely love my Akorn.  I added a little RTV to the chimney when I installed it, and added a better gasket, and that thing is amazing.  I can smoke at 225 for 12 hours and only use half a chimney of lump charcoal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Gym lockers work great too, but they aren't insulated so they go through a lot of charcoal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sub 300 dollars
I was thinking this may be the way to go amazon

Is an offset or  box type better?

Looking for suggestions
View Quote

I have won multiple competitions using that exact smoker. Keeps a steady temperature for a long time without adding more charcoal.
I did make a couple of small adjustments and use a digital remote thermometer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JNZWIEE/ref=pd_aw_sbs_lg_1?refRID=0CVMF38SK9SJBD9TJ3NN
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a weber kettlr grill. I call it "the hard way". It needs to be set up with bricks and you have to keep an eye on it, but I can typically hold a consistent temp.

Only problem is the biggest thing i can do is a deboned turkey breast
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a $399.00 offset smoker. The other posters here are correct. The are fuel hogs and it is not easy to get it to maintain temp. It turns a long smoking project into work. I am good at it but my next smoker will either be homemade from quality materials or an expensive one.

This is the one I have:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-pecos-coal-smoker/pid-311401?N=578824977
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I absolutely love my Akorn.  I added a little RTV to the chimney when I installed it, and added a better gasket, and that thing is amazing.  I can smoke at 225 for 12 hours and only use half a chimney of lump charcoal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can get these at Lowes, Kroger, a few other places.  I bought one and then sold it to buy a Vision ceramic.....I think the Akorn Kamado was a lot better.  It is actually more efficient and used less lump.......and was much easier to heat up and cool down.  All for $199.

http://reviewtodo.com/char-griller-kamado-kooker-akorn-grillsmoker-review-part-1/

Yep, I feel like a complete moron for buying a ceramic given that I already had one that worked beautifully.

I upgraded my gaskets and bedded them in RTV to get a good seal.  Put RTV around the chimney and the vent.

I REALLY liked how quickly that thing would go up and down.  With my Vision, you get it too hot and you might as well shut it down and cook the rest of the way in the inside stove.  SMH, I wish I had stayed with the Akorn.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yep, I feel like a complete moron for buying a ceramic given that I already had one that worked beautifully.

I upgraded my gaskets and bedded them in RTV to get a good seal.  Put RTV around the chimney and the vent.

I REALLY liked how quickly that thing would go up and down.  With my Vision, you get it too hot and you might as well shut it down and cook the rest of the way in the inside stove.  SMH, I wish I had stayed with the Akorn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well them don't let it get too hot. What difference do you think exists between the vision and akorn?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was planning to buy a BGE when I retire and don't have to move it around the world any longer, but the more I use my Akorn the more I think it won't be necessary.  I use this smoker controller:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_27

They were quite a bit cheaper when I got mine.    It works great, literally set it and forget it, plug in the meat thermometer, set temp, set alarm, and walk away for 12 or more hours.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well them don't let it get too hot. What difference do you think exists between the vision and akorn?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Akorn is steel with fiberglass insulation, the Vision is ceramic.  Obviously the ceramic will hold heat much longer, but the akorns are very well insulated, barely warm to the touch with a 350 degree internal temp.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for the 18.5 WSM. I went cheap my first time and it was so frustrating that it almost caused me to lose interest. The difference between the 2 was amazing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I love mine, but I have concerns about the longevity of the steel. I keep it in the garage and still have been fighting some of the rust. However, the thing is amazing for the money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Practically, none.  Functionally, none.

On my Akorn, the food tasted the same.  The Akorn was lighter, easier to move around and stayed cooler to the touch.  Believe me, I would like to say the Vision is a lot better, it's just NOT.  Nor are any of the ceramic eggs.  The Akorn is actually 2x more efficient on lump use than the ceramic.  I could do the entire season of cooking my butt off with a single bag of lump.  With the ceramic, I use 2x as much lump, if not more.  The Akorn has both the advantage and the disadvantage that it has the hinged ash cleanout portion at the bottom (very convenient in that you don't have to take the thing apart to empty ashes).  But it is another source of air leaks.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Brinkmann Gourmet Electric.

$79, I use whole logs.  Holds itself at 230 degrees, just plug in, throw a log and check on it after a few hours.  Most electric smokers suck, but this one is truly awesome and gives a lot of flavor.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

He's probably referring to something silly, like smoking salmon you caught with your bare hands, in a wood fired smoke house you built yourself chopping trees down with a stone axe, along with bacon and sausage from the pigs you raised and slaughtered.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whole lot of people in this post are cooking meat and thinking that they are smoking it.  Great food, but cooked, not smoked.

Low indirect heat with lots of wood smoke is not smoking?

Let me guess the food snobbery. .  It's not smoking unless you are using nothing but wood ie no charcoal??

He's probably referring to something silly, like smoking salmon you caught with your bare hands, in a wood fired smoke house you built yourself chopping trees down with a stone axe, along with bacon and sausage from the pigs you raised and slaughtered.

Smoking meat is a process that is used to preserve the meat for unrefrigerated storage or for a seasoning. It is done at a very low heat that doesn't cook the meat at all.

What most of the people in this thread are doing is cooking meat with wood and getting a smokey flavor included in the process.

There is a huge difference. It's not snobbery to use the correct term for a process, is it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Smoking meat is a process that is used to preserve the meat for unrefrigerated storage or for a seasoning. It is done at a very low heat that doesn't cook the meat at all.

What most of the people in this thread are doing is cooking meat with wood and getting a smokey flavor included in the process.

There is a huge difference. It's not snobbery to use the correct term for a process, is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whole lot of people in this post are cooking meat and thinking that they are smoking it.  Great food, but cooked, not smoked.

Let me guess the food snobbery. .  It's not smoking unless you are using nothing but wood ie no charcoal??

True but not 100% correct. One may smoke a meat while cooking it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are talking about COLD smoking which I assure you is not the only version of smoking so in essence you are flat out wrong.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You are talking about COLD smoking which I assure you is not the only version of smoking so in essence you are flat out wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the only way to smoke cheese and salmon, but for anything else, hot smoking rules the day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I will eat rare meat, I will not eat raw meat. So yes I want to cook it slowly while i smoke it.

Thanks for all the sugestions guys, now I am stuck between the WSM, Acorn, and a UDS.
I am thinking go with WSM and be done with it. But a UDS seems like a cool project.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Around 200 at Lowes. Much more versatile than an upright smoker.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Mmmmmkay.

Clips much?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Another way to get good smokers cheap is to find them on craigslist. I bought an old Brinkmann Cimmaron (used to be made for Brinkmann by Oklahoma Joe) for a fraction of what it cost new.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Have had mine for 3 years now.
Holds temperatures like an oven.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Its hard to maintain a low temp if you don't use a baffle. The coals tend to go out due to a lack of air. You want to pile like 30-40 unlit birquets and place 12 lit ones on the pile. That way you don't have to much fire going all at once. I got this thing for mine called a Smokeinator. Its just a stainless baffle, thermometer, water pan. It keeps the heat concentrated on the side an allows you to maintain 210-220 deg f for 6 hrs on 48 unlit birquetts.

If your wanting a dedicated smoker for doing large cuts of meat like whole turkeys then I would probably look at that weber smoker. You will have to baby sit it less than using the smokenator on a weber kettle. I have to fill that water pan about every 1 to 1.5hrs but it does produce a real wet smoke. Water drips out of the bottom of the kettle.

Here is what it looks like. I
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jbooker82/Misc%20Pics/IMG_8508_zps25dcb125.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jbooker82/Misc%20Pics/IMG_8511_zpsab2f27d1.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was told you can do a decent job with a Weber Kettle, but I haven't tried it yet.

Its hard to maintain a low temp if you don't use a baffle. The coals tend to go out due to a lack of air. You want to pile like 30-40 unlit birquets and place 12 lit ones on the pile. That way you don't have to much fire going all at once. I got this thing for mine called a Smokeinator. Its just a stainless baffle, thermometer, water pan. It keeps the heat concentrated on the side an allows you to maintain 210-220 deg f for 6 hrs on 48 unlit birquetts.

If your wanting a dedicated smoker for doing large cuts of meat like whole turkeys then I would probably look at that weber smoker. You will have to baby sit it less than using the smokenator on a weber kettle. I have to fill that water pan about every 1 to 1.5hrs but it does produce a real wet smoke. Water drips out of the bottom of the kettle.

Here is what it looks like. I
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jbooker82/Misc%20Pics/IMG_8508_zps25dcb125.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/jbooker82/Misc%20Pics/IMG_8511_zpsab2f27d1.jpg

The trick with the weber kette is to do a "ring of fire".  Arrange coals in a narrow ring around the perimeter of the grill to form a Nealy complete circle. Light one end and let it slowly burn all the way around.

Once you've tried this a couple times you learn exactly how many briquettes to stack to get the desired temp. I have the 26.75" kettle and using this method can get it to hold steady at 250 degrees for 10-12 hours with ease. The best part is there is no fiddling with the vents. I run it wide open because the temp is based on how tall and wide the ribbon of charcoal going around the grill is. Fine adjustment is easy if you decide to use the vents but its not needed.

With this setup I have done multiple butts, 16 pound briskets, whole turkeys, dozens of wings, multiple racks of ribs, ABTs. Its a lot of space and its easier and more controllable than any fancy smoker. The big weber is about $300 if I remember correctly. And the best part is that its a perfectly good charcoal grill for high temp cooking as well.

I wouldn't take big green egg or a dedicated smoker if you gave it to me free. The kettle is more versatile and produces exquisite Q
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#29]
These are awesome if you want an electric.  They take big old chunks of wood and are stainless steel.  You can add a PID later on if you want to cold smoke or hold it within a few degrees:

http://www.smokin-it.com/category_s/5.htm
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

While I will eat rare meat, I will not eat raw meat. So yes I want to cook it slowly while i smoke it.
Thanks for all the sugestions guys, now I am stuck between the WSM, Acorn, and a UDS.
I am thinking go with WSM and be done with it. But a UDS seems like a cool project.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd get the smaller WSM now and then make a UDS. You can use the WSM for sides like moinks, ABTs, beans, mac and cheese, etc.. and do large things like whole brisket and ribs on the UDS. If you're feeding fewer you can just use one or the other giving you more options for convenience and to save fuel.
The 18" is great but kind of small. A good starter though that will still be useful if you get something larger.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm finally getting a backyard so it seems I have a UDS in my future...
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I have won multiple competitions using that exact smoker. Keeps a steady temperature for a long time without adding more charcoal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JNZWIEE/ref=pd_aw_sbs_lg_1?refRID=0CVMF38SK9SJBD9TJ3NN
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sub 300 dollars

Looking for suggestions

All of this FTW. If the hinge and gasket set puts it out of your range, just wait and buy it later on.

I love my WSM. I thought about the UDS, and some of them are very nice (and more importantly put out amazing BBQ). But, I decided to use the KISS method and buy one that is proven. They have been around for a long time, and won many competitions. They hold temp very well, and don't use a lot of fuel compared to some other smokers. If you are planning to do a lot of briskets, the 22.5" would be better suited since most briskets are too long for the 18.5" (although it can be done, PM me if you buy the 18.5" and I'll tell you how I do it). Other than that, just go to http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tipsfaq.html and learn how to fire it up using the "minion method", season it, and a ton of other great tips.

ETA: it is also easy to grill on the WSM.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#33]
All you need is a little bit of wood and a tarp and make a teepee style smoker for damn near next to nothing., I've seen guys make them out of old pallets for free.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
BTW, she likes to hold at 215-220 {on the two Tel-Tru probes at each end} with Royal Oak.

View Quote

For how long before you have to add more charcoal?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Akorn will do 700 degree pizza, 200 degree smoking, and is plenty easy to use for everyday burgers and brats too.  The others aren't nearly as versatile.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go for the WSM.  It just plain works.  I have the 22.5".

Also, order if from lowes after using a 10% off coupon.  Makes it even cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You are done looking.

Get the WSM.   Wish I had got mine sooner than I did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sub 300 dollars

Looking for suggestions

You are done looking.

Get the WSM.   Wish I had got mine sooner than I did.

Agreed.. I have several, and am still learning the ways of Charcoal and wood but this one is my favorite.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Don't do a vertical propane smoker that runs on chips. You'll hate the thing.

[/url]
View Quote

I had 2 of the damn things before getting my WSM.

Worthless pieces of shit!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#39]
So, what size for a WSM? I'd mostly be cooking for a family of three, but might occasionally want to smoke for a larger crowd.  Would the extra space inside the largest be detrimental for smoking smaller batches?  I have zero experience at smoking, but this thread has me interested since it seems I could get into a decent smoker for much less than I thought.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Weber Kettle with Smokenator or the new super tiny 14" Weber Smoky Mountain.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So, what size for a WSM? I'd mostly be cooking for a family of three, but might occasionally want to smoke for a larger crowd.  Would the extra space inside the largest be detrimental for smoking smaller batches?  I have zero experience at smoking, but this thread has me interested since it seems I could get into a decent smoker for much less than I thought.
View Quote

I've done about 30 lbs of pork shoulders at one time on my 18 1/2 WSM.

Also have done 3 beer can chickens on the top grate, could have done 3 more on the bottom grate too if I had wanted to.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Brinkmann Gourmet Electric.

$79, I use whole logs.  Holds itself at 230 degrees, just plug in, throw a log and check on it after a few hours.  Most electric smokers suck, but this one is truly awesome and gives a lot of flavor.

http://www.brinkmann.net/images/products/outdoorcooking/zoom/810-7080-K-l.jpg

View Quote

I have an electric fridge style smoker. I spend 3 days every couple of months, smoking my brains out. I do chicken, pork, lots of different types of fish. I do all the trimming, marinating and dry rubbing first day, second day -smoking, let cool and vacuum seal everything. Day three cleaning everything.

Hubby has food for quite a while. He loves it and it tastes great. The house smells awesome as well. Wood smoke perfume
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#44]
A Weber kettle is versatile as hell, if you know what you're doing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.  happy with my akorn.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#46]
I got one of these for $275 shipped a year ago:

Smokes fabulously low-and-slow and makes stupendous pizzas at 800 degrees.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sub 300 dollars

Looking for suggestions
View Quote

Go with the 22.5 WSM
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#48]

I hated mine, and I was thrilled to give it away.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I've got one of these and love it. Set the temp and forget it. If you use the original smoke generator, you have to add chips every 20 minutes or so. I bought the cold smoker attachment as a smoke generator and the chips last 2-3 hours. Can pick it up around the holidays for about $130.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Camp-Cooking-Dining/Smokers-Accessories%7C/pc/104795280/c/581015880/sc/104582880/Masterbuilt-Sportsman-Elite-30-Black-Electric-Smoker-with-Meat-Probe/1621836.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsmokers-accessories%2F_%2FN-1116232%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104582880
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I hated mine, and I was thrilled to give it away.
View All Quotes

WHY?

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top