Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#1]
My mom has put in for a rescue from one of the bigger Dachshund rescue organizations.  They are going to call her today for an interview.
If you have time and are so inclined, please say a nice prayer for her.  She has been alone in the house since my father died and I really want her to have a dog for company, plus Madison would have a friend to play with.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
My doxie injured her back at some point either on Monday or Tuesday. We crate her in a small dog crate during the day and Tuesday morning she was fine, got up ate, wanted to play, my wife crated her. When my wife got home from work Guinness was shaking and was moving very cautiously. My wife put her outside to go to the bathroom which she did but was moving very slowly. I got home and she looked at me but wouldn't get up come over to me from her bed. We took her right to the vet and they put her on some pain medication and felt up and down her spine.

They said the are in which she is injured is a very common area and due to the fact she hasn't lost any motor control of her hind quarters they are putting her on a anti-inflammatory and a pain medication. I worked from home so I can keep an eye on her. We aren't letting her do any stairs and we are keeping a close eye on her while shes outside. You can clearly see she is in pain. This is my first Dachshund so my wife and I are a bit nervous. I am hopping she starts feeling better soon.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My doxie injured her back at some point either on Monday or Tuesday. We crate her in a small dog crate during the day and Tuesday morning she was fine, got up ate, wanted to play, my wife crated her. When my wife got home from work Guinness was shaking and was moving very cautiously. My wife put her outside to go to the bathroom which she did but was moving very slowly. I got home and she looked at me but wouldn't get up come over to me from her bed. We took her right to the vet and they put her on some pain medication and felt up and down her spine.

They said the are in which she is injured is a very common area and due to the fact she hasn't lost any motor control of her hind quarters they are putting her on a anti-inflammatory and a pain medication. I worked from home so I can keep an eye on her. We aren't letting her do any stairs and we are keeping a close eye on her while shes outside. You can clearly see she is in pain. This is my first Dachshund so my wife and I are a bit nervous. I am hopping she starts feeling better soon.

View Quote

That happened to our Oscar once. He jumped up on the couch, yelped, and was in obvious pain after.

They did the same thing for him - anti-inflammatories and pain meds. he was right as rain after a few days.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

This has happened to one of mine too.
Steroids, and crate rest.  No more jumping.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

PLEASE check out dodgerslist.com. Your dog likely has an excellent chance at full recovery,but most Vets underestimate what it takes.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hopefully it works. We lost our first Doxie to a back injury.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Gus likes them.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

PLEASE check out dodgerslist.com. Your dog likely has an excellent chance at full recovery,but most Vets underestimate what it takes.

Thanks I checked it out. Out Vet sent us home with some information regarding IVDD and gave us a lot of useful information. She can still walk/stand/go to the bathroom without a problem. You can tell she's in a lot of pain. I've been trying to keep her as comfortable as possible. She goes back to the vet today for another laser pain treatment today which really seemed to help the day of the injury.

The metacam is really working. As soon as she gets some her appetite returns and she seems a lot more comfortable.

I'm trying to be very optimistic but I'm also really nervous. I have talked to a few other dachshund owners who said they went though something very similar and it didn't take long for the pain to subside. I am hoping for the same thing because my girl is only 6.5.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Well the worst happened.Guinness lost full motor control of her hind quarters. We are meeting with a neurologist shortly to determine if she's a good candidate for surgery. My wife and I are a mess.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Dachshund mixes make the best mutts!

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We need to do this more often.

http://i43.tinypic.com/8y8in4.jpg

And go!
View Quote

We recently adopted a wiener dog for our special needs son to be his lapdog. That little dog took over as the Alpha to our other four 70+ pound dogs when she was barely 3 months old. She is 7 months old and still only 6.5lbs. Smart as hell and doesnt take any shit from them.

She loves riding around in my son's lap in his wheelchair and is VERY protective of him. Will add pictures soon.

ETA:

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We recently adopted a wiener dog for our special needs son to be his lapdog. That little dog took over as the Alpha to our other four 70+ pound dogs when she was barely 3 months old. She is 7 months old and still only 6.5lbs. Smart as hell and doesnt take any shit from them.

She loves riding around in my son's lap in his wheelchair and is VERY protective of him. Will add pictures soon.

ETA:

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t381/wjoutlaw2009/20141216_160555_1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And go!

ETA:

doxies truly are the best dogs. They are very protective of their families and they don't give a shit.

case in point
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well the worst happened.Guinness lost full motor control of her hind quarters. We are meeting with a neurologist shortly to determine if she's a good candidate for surgery. My wife and I are a mess.
View Quote

Sorry to hear this, but don't lose hope.  My dachshund had a ruptured disk in his back that was surgically repaired.  He is not as strong with his back legs now and has some balance issues (meaning he has difficulty standing straight as opposed to falling down all the time), but other than that he has pretty much fully recovered.  It was a long road, but it was worth it.  We both wish you the best of luck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear this, but don't lose hope.  My dachshund had a ruptured disk in his back that was surgically repaired.  He is not as strong with his back legs now and has some balance issues (meaning he has difficulty standing straight as opposed to falling down all the time), but other than that he has pretty much fully recovered.  It was a long road, but it was worth it.  We both wish you the best of luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My sibling's dog had the back surgery and made a full recovery.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

our doxie Spike growing up as well. He lived to be 16.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Not sure how I missed this thread....

RIP Wrigley....you are missed.

Charlie misses his buddy too.

I don't think I could ever NOT have a dachshund....had one in the family for at least 30 years (since age 10).

And Doggie Armor!

And Trouble!

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The surgeon was very optimistic. He said based on her slow progression it was probably not a significant trauma to the spinal cord. They are going to take a CT, then right into surgery, then we will get a call after she is out. When we saw her before she went into surgery she was wagging her tail and seemed in high spirits.

Here is a picture of her from last night in her favorite spot in her bed in front of the fireplace, and hopefully there will be another 8 - 10 years of pictures in the future:

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The surgeon was very optimistic. He said based on her slow progression it was probably not a significant trauma to the spinal cord. They are going to take a CT, then right into surgery, then we will get a call after she is out. When we saw her before she went into surgery she was wagging her tail and seemed in high spirits.    

Here is a picture of her from last night in her favorite spot in her bed in front of the fireplace, and hopefully there will be another 8 - 10 years of pictures in the future:

<a href="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/jwthurston86/media/A33BCEC4-C8F0-4806-B21F-A5DAFE3B6BAD_zps7vsizyph.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad119/jwthurston86/A33BCEC4-C8F0-4806-B21F-A5DAFE3B6BAD_zps7vsizyph.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/jwthurston86/media/A33BCEC4-C8F0-4806-B21F-A5DAFE3B6BAD_zps7vsizyph.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad119/jwthurston86/A33BCEC4-C8F0-4806-B21F-A5DAFE3B6BAD_zps7vsizyph.jpg</a>

prayers your way.... keep us posted.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

prayers your way.... keep us posted.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#24]
This is Bella. She is 10. She loves people, especially children. She doesn't care for other dogs, but mostly tolerates them.

Her new bed

What do you mean its time to get up

My ugly mug

She loves going Fishing
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No floppy ears. Not a dachshund.

View All Quotes

Yeah, its a pit/dacshund mix.

http://mashable.com/2015/01/29/pitbull-dachshund-puppy/
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah, its a pit/dacshund mix.

http://mashable.com/2015/01/29/pitbull-dachshund-puppy/
View All Quotes

either Corgi/Pitt or a Corgi/husky (looking at the eyes)
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck. We had our little buddy go through the surgery four years ago. He is as good as ever and rehabbed back to normal in about three months after the surgery.

It was a financial hit, but four years of the little bugger being around was well worth it.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#28]
She's out of surgery, everything went well. She is resting. The surgeon said she had a large ruptured disk right behind her rib cage. He said other than that it was a standard operation without any problems. I will be getting a call tomorrow and might pay her a visit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is Bella. She is 10. She loves people, especially children. She doesn't care for other dogs, but mostly tolerates them.
<a href="http://s941.photobucket.com/user/Gyrene84/media/20141207_142602_zpsa8a7b32b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad259/Gyrene84/20141207_142602_zpsa8a7b32b.jpg</a>

Her new bed
<a href="http://s941.photobucket.com/user/Gyrene84/media/20141111_113008_zps083839be.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad259/Gyrene84/20141111_113008_zps083839be.jpg</a>

What do you mean its time to get up
<a href="http://s941.photobucket.com/user/Gyrene84/media/20141108_122202_zps0444af97.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad259/Gyrene84/20141108_122202_zps0444af97.jpg</a>

My ugly mug
<a href="http://s941.photobucket.com/user/Gyrene84/media/20141208_172049_zps4a3e7626.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad259/Gyrene84/20141208_172049_zps4a3e7626.jpg</a>

She loves going Fishing
<a href="http://s941.photobucket.com/user/Gyrene84/media/Fishing2_zps46c5e931.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad259/Gyrene84/Fishing2_zps46c5e931.jpg</a>
View Quote

that is one damn cute little baby <3
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Here are a few more of mine (not sure if I posted them before):

Right after she was born:

After my wife and I got back from out honeymoon this was her spooning with me

And an action shot of the hedgehog that is no more:

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#31]
My little girl is kicking ass. Doctor called this morning and said she was showing signs of movement in her right leg. She still has deep pain sensation in both legs. He said she has been very active in her cage and seems to be in very high spirits. They are still expressing her bladder and they are going to keep her one more day to see if she regains bladder and starts to get some movement in her left leg. We will be paying her a visit today.

So good news all around.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My little girl is kicking ass. Doctor called this morning and said she was showing signs of movement in her right leg. She still has deep pain sensation in both legs. He said she has been very active in her cage and seems to be in very high spirits. They are still expressing her bladder and they are going to keep her one more day to see if she regains bladder and starts to get some movement in her left leg. We will be paying her a visit today.

So good news all around.
View Quote

Good to hear... I'm no vet, but it sounds like she is going to be fine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#34]
So another small but promising update:

Got a call this morning. Her right leg is getting stronger, she now has some motor function in her left leg. They are still depressing her bladder so she hasnt regained control over that. We are going to leave her one more night because they said they have been administering morphine and I would hate to get her home and have her be in pain. We will be picking her up tomorrow.

The doctor said she has shown very typical signs from a Dachshund after that type of surgery and he said her increase is motor function is what they expected. She isn't out of the woods yet and still has a long recovery but I am glad I bit the bullet to have the surgery.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers. Guinness is doing great, we got to see her yesterday and her little tail was going a mile a minute.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Got a call this morning. Her right leg is getting stronger, she now has some motor function in her left leg. They are still depressing her bladder so she hasnt regained control over that. We are going to leave her one more night because they said they have been administering morphine and I would hate to get her home and have her be in pain. We will be picking her up tomorrow.

The doctor said she has shown very typical signs from a Dachshund after that type of surgery and he said her increase is motor function is what they expected. She isn't out of the woods yet and still has a long recovery but I am glad I bit the bullet to have the surgery.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers. Guinness is doing great, we got to see her yesterday and her little tail was going a mile a minute.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#36]
One of mine survived a full hit from a Cottonmouth a couple of years back; barely. They are absolutely fearless, to their own detriment at times.

Beware in snake country, the little guys usually don't fare well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good news!  Glad to hear it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So good news all around.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So good news all around.
View Quote

Great news!! Look about 3/4 way down on page 2 of this thread to see my dogs ordeal with a spinal injury. He made a recovery but it was tough. He will be 13 in May and still cruising around. Hope yours does as well or better!
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Great news!! Look about 3/4 way down on page 2 of this thread to see my dogs ordeal with a spinal injury. He made a recovery but it was tough. He will be 13 in May and still cruising around. Hope yours does as well or better!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So good news all around.

I read that before my dog took a jump off the ruptured disk deep end. I'm glad everything with your dog has been good. We left Guinness at the vet for an extra day and she peed on her own last night twice, without the vet techs needing to depress her bladder. Now it's going to be some therapy, pain management and hoping she walks again soon.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And go!

ETA:

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My mom has put in for a rescue from one of the bigger Dachshund rescue organizations.  They are going to call her today for an interview.
If you have time and are so inclined, please say a nice prayer for her.  She has been alone in the house since my father died and I really want her to have a dog for company, plus Madison would have a friend to play with.
View Quote

Photos coming!  We were approved on Friday, 1/31 and will be picking up on Saturday 2/7.
Madison is getting a dog!  
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Photos coming!  We were approved on Friday, 1/31 and will be picking up on Saturday 2/7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

One of the best ways to introduce them, if you're worried about hostilities, is to immediately take them on a walk - no sniffing, no allowing them to get worked up - just grab them and take them on a walk, one on each side of you, until they calm down and get bored.

Then you let them get acquainted. Don't give affection to them, or talk to them - just let them hang out together for the day and get used to each other.

I've done this with Oscar and a friend's dog. He doesn't get along well with other dogs, and this worked like a charm.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

One of the best ways to introduce them, if you're worried about hostilities, is to immediately take them on a walk - no sniffing, no allowing them to get worked up - just grab them and take them on a walk, one on each side of you, until they calm down and get bored.

Then you let them get acquainted. Don't give affection to them, or talk to them - just let them hang out together for the day and get used to each other.

I've done this with Oscar and a friend's dog. He doesn't get along well with other dogs, and this worked like a charm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm SO excited!!!  I think we posted a record time for the rescue too--with start (Jan24) to site visit (Jan29) to approval (Jan31) at only 7 days.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Another huge update:

Guinness is at home resting. She's able to support herself on her own. we are following the discharge papers to a T. She had been so tough through this ordeal. We got a call from the surgery department today by the person who was caring for her and they said compared to out Doxies who have gone through this surgery she is miles ahead of them neurologically. She has been eliminating on her own and is showing more strength every day. Keep in mind the surgery was on Friday so it's only been a few days.

Last night was rough. She's used to sleeping in our bed and we are making her stay in her crate at night until at least her sutures are removed. She wasn't having it. However this is good practice for me because my wife is 7 months pregnant with our first so I suppose this is a small window into what my life will be like the rest of the year.

Again thanks for all those who thought for Guinness and those who have continued to follow her progress. I hope I haven't derailed this thread too much.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm not going to go through 13 pages of pics to see if this has been posted.  Has anyone seen a dachsund-pit bull mix?

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Pit-BullDachshund-Mix-Dog-Goes-Viral-on-Social-Media-290430801.html
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm not going to go through 13 pages of pics to see if this has been posted.  Has anyone seen a dachsund-pit bull mix?

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Pit-BullDachshund-Mix-Dog-Goes-Viral-on-Social-Media-290430801.html
View Quote

You didn't have to go through 13 pages...it's further up on this page
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan either.    Besides, can you imagine what a destructo this thing must be?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan either.    Besides, can you imagine what a destructo this thing must be?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know it's a trend that will catch on, now. Every idiot with an un-fixed pit will be like, 'awww, you know what would be cute? breeding my dog with a dachshund.'
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top