User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cyclists around here believe that they should be able to roll through a red light, or stop sign.  Only thing I can think of is that they believe it's clear enough for them to make it, and they don't want to lose momentum.
View Quote

Plenty of folks in GD think that cars should be able to roll red lights/stop signs if there is no other traffic that will be impacted.  Traffic circles aren't necessarily a bad thing IMO.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Victimless crime.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cyclists around here believe that they should be able to roll through a red light, or stop sign.  Only thing I can think of is that they believe it's clear enough for them to make it, and they don't want to lose momentum.

Victimless crime.

That really depends................  I ride.  One cyclist I stopped/cited for running a stop sign said "That car almost hit me"............................  No shit dumbass you ran the stop sign at 20+ mph and the car didn't have a stop sign.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Pretty much the same boat here.

I can't get why so many people think that riding the back roads of the PNW is a good idea...

There's a TON of roads with speed limits that range from 35-50 with tons of blind corners and no shoulder... and BAM surprise!  Slow ass cyclists.  

Wish they would get ticketed for impeding traffic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ride a bicycle on the road AND I cannot imagine that anyone on this board gets as angry at idiot bike riders doing stupid shit as I do.  Why riding a bicycle attracts such utter retards who disrespect the law and common courtesy is beyond me.  I want to run most of those assholes over with my truck.

Whether or no they have more knowledge of traffic laws is irrelevant.  The majority of them (at least in my area) ride like they own the road and think traffic laws are not something they need to follow.
Pretty much the same boat here.

I can't get why so many people think that riding the back roads of the PNW is a good idea...

There's a TON of roads with speed limits that range from 35-50 with tons of blind corners and no shoulder... and BAM surprise!  Slow ass cyclists.  

Wish they would get ticketed for impeding traffic.

Bicycle is no different than any other slow moving vehicle.............  Speed limits are the maximum speed for good conditions - you still need to drive such that you can react to a slow moving vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That really depends................  I ride.  One cyclist I stopped/cited for running a stop sign said "That car almost hit me"............................  No shit dumbass you ran the stop sign at 20+ mph and the car didn't have a stop sign.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Victimless crime.

Typical.

My cycling activist coworker told me I need to be more careful after that jackass nearly ran into my truck running that light.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
if my lard ass can ride at 16-18 mph all day long on a 30 year old bike...
View Quote

Oh really?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fuck cyclists and the spandex they rode in wearing.
View Quote

Fuck squids and the leather they rode in wearing.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Victimless crime.

That sounds like someone fumbling along on a bike giving real cyclists a bad name. Good ticket.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think you just helped prove the point that (most) Cyclist are safer on the road. I say most because there are dickheaded cyclist just as there are dickheaded drivers. BUT! Cyclist don't text or ride drunk but yeah some might be sociopaths.
View Quote

They do - seen it with my own eyes multiple times.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think a simple split would be a good first step.
Going to ride in the road?  Follow vehicle traffic laws.
Don't want to? Ride on the sidewalk at a slow pace and follow pedestrian law.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't even cycle but the irony from motorists is hilarious in this thread!

Cyclist have a sense of entitlement, then...they need to get out of my way!
I think a simple split would be a good first step.
Going to ride in the road?  Follow vehicle traffic laws.
Don't want to? Ride on the sidewalk at a slow pace and follow pedestrian law.  

Is it legal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk in WA state?  IME, mixing bicycles and pedestrians is even worse than mixing bicycles and cars.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If it doesn't have a license plate it best get the fuck off the road.
View Quote

You might want to inform your state legislatures of this concern....................
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's even better when they are in a bike lane, come up to a stop, and then instead of stopping and waiting, switch to the sidewalk to use the crosswalk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes, all cyclists understand that a stop sign is just a friendly suggestion.
It's even better when they are in a bike lane, come up to a stop, and then instead of stopping and waiting, switch to the sidewalk to use the crosswalk.

are they somehow impeding traffic by doing so?  Not seeing how this is really a functional issue as much as a "I don't like it so I'll complain about it on the internet".
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Typical.

My cycling activist coworker told me I need to be more careful after that jackass nearly ran into my truck running that light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Victimless crime.

Typical.

Cyclist took me to traffic court.  He lost.  Judge was not amused by the quote from the rider - judge knew the intersection very well.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That sounds like someone fumbling along on a bike giving real cyclists a bad name. Good ticket.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Victimless crime.

He was in full kit - just an entitled asshole.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Oh really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh really?

He went down hill one time.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh really?

Nope, I hit about 55-60 going downhill, though normally around 30-40.

Flat ground I pull 16-18 average, which is down from what I used to be able to do.  I can also sprint up to 30-31 mph but only for a mile or so.  

Not like it's even that fast.  
Can't even imagine what I could do with a new bike.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Part in red is not entirely correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then why the fuck do they ride on the white line seperating traffic from the bike lane instead of in the bike lane?

I'm a cyclist. I'd guess that 95% of cyclist are mentally retarded with only 5% of riders able to keep from endangering themselves and the public. Word isn't back yet on which group I'm in, but I sure as shit stay in the bike lane, or off the road damn road entirely. It's not safe to ride a bicycle on the street where traffic is thick, or moving faster that you can on a bike.

Riding a bicycle in a car lane where the cars are moving much faster than the bike can, is not safe. How the fuck is this not entirely correct?

Cars are coming up behind the bike fast. The car slows to the speed of the bike. Then the cars behind the bike try to move left into a lane doing 50 MPH. The car behind the bike is doing 10 MPH to get around the bike. Or on a two lane road, the cars are trying to pass (at 10 MPH) in gaps of the oncoming traffic to get around the bike. None of this is safe.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:17:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Riding a bicycle in a car lane where the cars are moving much faster than the bike can, is not safe. How the fuck is this not entirely correct?

Cars are coming up behind the bike fast. The car slows to the speed of the bike. Then the cars behind the bike try to move left into a lane doing 50 MPH. The car behind the bike is doing 10 MPH to get around the bike. Or on a two lane road, the cars are trying to pass (at 10 MPH) in gaps of the oncoming traffic to get around the bike. None of this is safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then why the fuck do they ride on the white line seperating traffic from the bike lane instead of in the bike lane?

I'm a cyclist. I'd guess that 95% of cyclist are mentally retarded with only 5% of riders able to keep from endangering themselves and the public. Word isn't back yet on which group I'm in, but I sure as shit stay in the bike lane, or off the road damn road entirely. It's not safe to ride a bicycle on the street where traffic is thick, or moving faster that you can on a bike.

It's not a "car lane" it's a lane for any vehicle allowed to be using that road. I ride two lane county roads frequently - some how cars & bikes seem to get along quite well and have been doing so for years.  A bike is functionally no different than a tractor going 15-20 mph - except it's easier to pass a bike.

Bicycles are allowed to ride on legitimate interstate roadways in some areas - I8 east of Alpine - and that seems to work. Hell, there is at least one guy in GD that rode his bicycle across the country - he didn't do that on designated off hwy bike paths.

Why is it cool to read about a guy riding a horse in a traffic lane but heaven help the poor entitled spandex wearing faggot doing the same damn thing - slowing down car traffic?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How are you measuring your speed?

Going 55-60 mph on a bike downhill is extremely fast, especially on a "vintage" 30 year old bike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh really?

Nope, I hit about 55-60 going downhill, though normally around 30-40.
Flat ground I pull 16-18 average, which is down from what I used to be able to do.  I can also sprint up to 30-31 mph but only for a mile or so.  

Not like it's even that fast.  

Can't even imagine what I could do with a new bike.  

Going 55-60 mph on a bike downhill is extremely fast, especially on a "vintage" 30 year old bike.

I've topped at a just shy of 40mph on my '11 Specialized Roubaix - frankly the roads around here are good enough/long enough/straight enough to push it any faster.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

speedometer calibrated against gps.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I've done the same on MTB's too

It's absurd the gyroscopic effect big ass MTB tires have at that speed, first time I tried leaning into the upcoming corner the bike pretty much just stayed level and I just sort of steered into it.  

(riding down "Recon" at Horno for those that have been to Pendleton)

On road bikes you sure find out how balanced your tires are, my old bike (also a vintage Schwinn) had a janky front rim, and anything over about 50 the front wheel would start trying to hop off the ground.  
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top