BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:15:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of folks here call Lemay a hero, and in another breath label General Sherman a terrorist.

While Lemay did far worse things than Sherman could ever have dreamed.
View Quote

Far worse?

He bombed the Japs into submission.  That was what he was ordered to do.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:28:12 AM EDT
[#2]
You vastly overstate the importance of strategic bombing. The aerial mining campaign and submarine blockade each alone were far more important.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:34:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You vastly overstate the importance of strategic bombing. The aerial mining campaign and submarine blockade each alone were far more important.
View Quote

That may be true, and is obviously subject matter for an academic debate. My opinion is based upon my life experience and spending my childhood exposed to many of the players and participants in that great crusade in the Pacific.  LeMay played a huge role in destroying the Japs.  He was successful.  I would think that his lessons would be of interest.  My dad once told me that one of the biggest dangers in war were military academics. For that reason, I put little stock in what academics have to say, regardless the magnitude of their library, and regardless the subject matter.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:29:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I like Conan's take

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:53:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like Conan's take

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women
View Quote

Lately we play games at war.  Nation building.  Hearts and minds.

Blah, blah, blah.  Academic bullshit.

How have those tenets worked for us in a Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan?  Have they been successful?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:13:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In light if the current situation in Gaza, and the propagandizing of the deaths, perhaps this quote is applicable:

There are no innocent civilians. It is their government and you are fighting a people, you are not trying to fight an armed force anymore. So it doesn't bother me so much to be killing the so-called innocent bystanders.
View Quote

Does it apply in this situation?

Does it apply in this day and age?

Did it ever apply?
View Quote

Interesting quote from a great WW2 leader. Here's some diary entries from General George S. Patton...
"Evidently the virus started by Morgenthau and Baruch of a Semitic revenge against all Germans is still working. Harrison (a U.S. State Department official) and his associates indicate that they feel German civilians should be removed from houses for the purpose of housing Displaced Persons. There are two errors in this assumption. First, when we remove an individual German we punish an individual German, while the punishment is -- not intended for the individual but for the race.

Furthermore, it is against my Anglo-Saxon conscience to remove a person from a house, which is a punishment, without due process of law. In the second place, Harrison and his ilk believe that the Displaced Person is a human being, which he is not, and this applies particularly to the Jews, who are lower than animals."
View Quote

He went on to write how much he hated Jews in general and using the butt of his rifle was the only way to make them bathe or pick up after themselves. But that's the not the point. The point is that Patton felt the exact opposite and perhaps neither, or both, are right. Just because a person has rank doesn't make their opinion any more valid that anyone else's.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fuck these days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gen Lemay would be a War Criminal these days

Fuck these days.

Absolutely. Israel is fighting a war the way a war should be fought. Pound your enemy into submission, let them know they screwed up. Maybe they'll think twice before assaulting you again.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:06:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

To be fair, LeMay wasn't killing other Americans (not that Sherman was unjustified)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of folks here call Lemay a hero, and in another breath label General Sherman a terrorist.

While Lemay did far worse things than Sherman could ever have dreamed.

To be fair, LeMay wasn't killing other Americans (not that Sherman was unjustified)

Southerners were always Americans, but hey whatever statist justification makes you sleep better at night
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top