Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For how long?  What different types of cars?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is this survey considered valid? The survey was conducted solely by the magazine's subscribers(hardly a representative sample) of what they claim is 1.1 million vehicles.

Even if they did have that many subscribers, there were over 254 million passenger cars in the US as of 2007.

There are issues with the survey methodology, but sample size isn't one of 'em.

What are the issues?  They ask questions and compile the experiences  of those that actually own, drive and maintain the cars.

Every car that they rate is rated by owner responses.  Milage varies ....... certainly on newer modes the milage is low.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

do the suggest any mid-size pickups? frontier?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
4Runner FTW

I clicked through the cnn page. Odd that they put this below some of these, including 4runner:

"Recommended: No"

... but they don't provide any elaboration.

I have the latest addition of CR ratings.

4 runner comments.........Bad ride, clumsy handling, leans in corners,bobs and bounces,high step in , low ceiling, unimpressive fit and finish...... listed as negatives.

Excellent reliability is listed.

The Taco is not recommended for similar reasons.

do the suggest any mid-size pickups? frontier?

Honda Ridgeline is rated first..... Frontier second.... both recommended.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Some of the vehicles on that list are, in fact, made in America.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a single American car manufacturer on your list......

Better than most American car manufacturers, then. The only reason Japanese companies manufacture here is lower overhead, cheaper land, and a skilled labor force. Because they're made here doesn't necessarily mean they are American.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a legacy. I see no reason to ever buy another brand of car, unless for some reason GM buys them.

With snow tires the thing is a snowmobile.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Better than most American car manufacturers, then. The only reason Japanese companies manufacture here is lower overhead, cheaper land, and a skilled labor force. Because they're made here doesn't necessarily mean they are American.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the truth.  Manufactures found that they can build cars cheaper in the US than they can in Germany, Japan, or any other comparable country.

American workers don't get 6 weeks off and all the benefits the workers do in other developed countries and are not paid as well..... plus, we have a huge skilled workforce.

It's why GM should have been left to fail. Some other company that was run much better would have jumped right in and in a year or two we wouldn't have missed GM on any level.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

'99 Audi A4 2.8L here. Love that little damn thing. Does better than any truck I've ever had in the snow, considering it can clear the depth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because America sucks at making cars.

Totally agree. I drive a VW Passat TDi FWIW......

'99 Audi A4 2.8L here. Love that little damn thing. Does better than any truck I've ever had in the snow, considering it can clear the depth.

My S4 was a beast when I lived in Colorado.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because America UAW sucks at making cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because America UAW sucks at making cars.

FIFY.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

4 runner comments.........Bad ride, clumsy handling, leans in corners,bobs and bounces,high step in , low ceiling, unimpressive fit and finish...... listed as negatives.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
4Runner FTW

I clicked through the cnn page. Odd that they put this below some of these, including 4runner:

I recently bought a certified '11 4Runner for my wife to drive.  I am 6'2" tall and have absolutely no headroom issues, front seat or back.  Not sure where they get "unimpressive fit and finish" either, seems pretty solid to me.  As for the other comments, what do they expect from a body on frame SUV?  Can't please everyone I guess.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#9]
8/18 are Toyotas...color me surprised
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]
RELIABLE?
Will somebody here tell me what the bleeding fuck Consumer douche-reports knows about RELIABILITY?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
RELIABLE?
Will somebody here tell me what the bleeding fuck Consumer douche-reports knows about RELIABILITY?
View Quote

They compile information from actual owners. They ask for problem areas and owners report them.  Engine problems, breaks, transmission etc.

They then see how many owners actually report a specific problem and that number is shown in their charts.

So, they use real world information from actual owners...... can't beat it.

Kind of like what goes on here...... " I'm looking at buying an XXXXX, what do you guys think"....... and then actual owners or those that have knowledge about said vehicle will post...... " check for this and that...... that model is known to have bad XXXXXXX" .

CR is the BEST resource for predicting or learning of a vehicles reliability potential.

For some of the more popular cars, I would guess that they compile data based on millions of miles driven.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#12]
How do you gauge reliability based on owner opinion of a brand new car?

Audi/Volkswagen/Porsche and reliability in the same sentence is an absolute joke.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:24:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Toyota gets 8/18, but their resale value is pure koolaid drinking according to some here.
View Quote

I saw that thread on the Toyota truck resale value, I did the KBB private party value for my 2003 Tacoma that I paid $23K for in 2003, came back as $17K

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is this survey considered valid? The survey was conducted solely by the magazine's subscribers(hardly a representative sample) of what they claim is 1.1 million vehicles.

Even if they did have that many subscribers, there were over 254 million passenger cars in the US as of 2007.
View Quote

View Quote

What are the issues?  They ask questions and compile the experiences  of those that actually own, drive and maintain the cars.
View Quote

View Quote

Every car that they rate is rated by owner responses.  Milage varies ....... certainly on newer modes the milage is low.
View Quote

They do not publish the numbers of reponses per vehicle, and - as you say - it's all based on an owenr survey.  Thus, all the known issues regarding bias and survays come into play - there is no objective look at actual reliability, just owner interpretations.  We also know nothign about preventive maintenance.

This has led to some infamous findings, like when two identical vehicles, off of the same assembly line, made by the same workers, and only "different" due to "brand engineering," get very different marks for engine reliability.

It is probably a safe assumption, that a devout reader of Consumer Reports is leery of the reliability of US-make cars, and may even buy the recommended cars in the magazine.  Buyers who buy things for a given reason are notoriously known to lack impartiality as to whether that reason is realized.  To illustrate this with an extreme, a person convinced their Lexus is a super reliable car might theoretically dismiss a constant transmission slippage as a minor issue, while a person who buys a used Ford because it was cheap, and cannot start his car one mroning because the battery is dead, might see this a a "serious" repair issue - ("I mean hell, the engine wouldn't even start and I couldn't get to work that day!  POS Ford! CR warned me it was a POS, but I went with what was cheaper.  I learned my lesson").

What I would like to see is a system by which 10 year old cars were randomly sampled and their repair history reviewed by competent mechanics.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

6. Luxury SUV - Lexus RX

I have a 2001 Lexus RX with over 200k miles. The thing drives like the day I bought it. Best car I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
6. Luxury SUV - Lexus RX

I have a 2001 Lexus RX with over 200k miles. The thing drives like the day I bought it. Best car I have ever owned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6. Luxury SUV - Lexus RX

My wife had a '99 RX and a '03 RX (traded that one for a 4Runner).  Both were very solid vehicles and I am surprised at how well the interior held up on both.  No squeaks, rattles, buzzes, etc in either.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Screw 'em .................

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"American Car Manufacturer"

And I know, I believe Toyota claims that 75% of the parts in the Tundra originate in the USA or Canada (Assembled in Texas?).......I believe that's more than the GM Silverado.

I saw that information in a Toyota YouTube video, so it must be true.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:19:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I own a 2012 S5 and my friend who works there told me flat out "Do not keep this car past 50,000 miles".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anytime you put an Audi at the top of a reliability list, I know your list is full of shit.  

Glad I'm not the only one.

I am a big fan of Audi.  I just happen to live 150 miles away from the closest VAG service department, so I know I should never own one.

I own a 2012 S5 and my friend who works there told me flat out "Do not keep this car past 50,000 miles".

2002 GTI 350whp owned since brand new.  Have 110K, of which the car was modded 100K. Only thing ever to fail was a coilpack, and waterpump at 80,000.

My brother has a 700hp 2005 Audi S4. Quite reliable. Stock drivetrain.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Because American Unions sucks at making cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because American Unions sucks at making cars.

FIFY

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't trust Consumer Reports as far as I can throw a magazine.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anytime you put an Audi at the top of a reliability list, I know your list is full of shit.  
View Quote

View Quote

I am a big fan of Audi.  I just happen to live 150 miles away from the closest VAG service department, so I know I should never own one.
View Quote

View Quote

2002 GTI 350whp owned since brand new.  Have 110K, of which the car was modded 100K. Only thing ever to fail was a coilpack, and waterpump at 80,000.

My brother has a 700hp 2005 Audi S4. Quite reliable. Stock drivetrain.
View Quote

Really?  Lost a waterpump and ignition coils within 100K?  And that's good?

My Impala is at 130K.  The only problem I've had is a glitch in the radio electronics.  I change my oil every 9-10K and put gas in it and it keeps going.  Drives like the day I bought it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My Impala is at 130K.  The only problem I've had is a glitch in the radio electronics.  I change my oil every 9-10K and put gas in it and it keeps going.  Drives like the day I bought it.
View Quote

Going from 180hp to 400hp with stock everything minus the clutch, and replacing the waterpump? Yes, that's quite good. Says a lot about drivetrain durability. Coilpacks were replaced as part of a recall. Does your Impala push 20psi of boost and run 12's in the 1/4?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Obviously you don't drive an American car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.  I have a 2007 Ford Explorer.

So far, I have rebuilt the transmission.
Replace cracked block heater
needs the abs sensor replaced
needs new front bearings.  

134000 milies.

Americans suck at making cars.  Because they are UNION.  Not because they are Americans.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Going from 180hp to 400hp with stock everything minus the clutch, and replacing the waterpump? Yes, that's quite good. Says a lot about drivetrain durability. Coilpacks were replaced as part of a recall. Does your Impala push 20psi of boost and run 12's in the 1/4?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.  I don't understand the failure of the pump, though.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.  I have a 2007 Ford Explorer.

So far, I have rebuilt the transmission.
Replace cracked block heater
needs the abs sensor replaced
needs new front bearings.  

134000 milies.

Americans suck at making cars.  Because they are UNION.  Not because they are Americans.

TXL

The fuck?  That's insane.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had an older model pump that used a plastic propeller that shattered.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#26]
only thing that surprises me is that the Ridgeline beat the Tacoma
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, did you have to replace the entire pump, or just the prop?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whole. It's about the size of a clenched fist. PITA to get to, and requires removing the timing belt.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honda makes vehicles in the US.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#30]
What a joke.  I have one of the cars on that list, and it is a complete POS.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Forester, FTW
View Quote

Damn straight.  My 2004 has only asked for gas, oil and a 40k service.  I plan on driving it at least another 4 years.  Based on how nice the new Foresters are, that will be on the short list.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I can't believe there are only 5 Toyotas listed (if you include the Scion).  

View Quote

Count them again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They compile information from actual owners. They ask for problem areas and owners report them.  Engine problems, breaks, transmission etc.

They then see how many owners actually report a specific problem and that number is shown in their charts.

Kind of like what goes on here...... " I'm looking at buying an XXXXX, what do you guys think"....... and then actual owners or those that have knowledge about said vehicle will post...... " check for this and that...... that model is known to have bad XXXXXXX" .

CR is the BEST resource for predicting or learning of a vehicles reliability potential.

For some of the more popular cars, I would guess that they compile data based on millions of miles driven.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RELIABLE?

Utter Bullshit!
Do a search, Consumer Reports has so much total anti-American auto bias it's not even funny!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most Foreign cars source the most important parts from original foreign plants like the motor and drivetrain. While the rest of the cars are assembled here. The car is still mostly foreign designed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Subaru Legacy is made in Indiana.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's at the top of the list for that category. It is not the number 2 most reliable car by a long shot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorta not true and sorta true:

I have one of the cars in the list: the Mazda 5.  Mine is a 2008 and we bought it new.

-motor & drivetrain are Japanese Mazda

-chasis is made by Volvo in Sweden, and

-Ford & Ford Europe made many other parts like suspension, including:

-Shocks failed at 60K miles:  they are marked "FoMoCo"  

-Brakes have been turned once under warranty & now need to be replaced at 65K miles.  Yep - FoMoCo.

The U.S. "beg 3" or Detroit car makers SUCK at making cars.  Only product I might consider from them would be a truck, though Toyotas are just as good/better for my purpose (just wish they would import a HiLux).

-Power steering failed while my wife was driving on the highway.  Warrantied (they did not identify the source of the parts, but I have a hunch they were FoMoCo parts).
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subaru is a Japanese car manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How do you gauge reliability based on owner opinion of a brand new car?

Audi/Volkswagen/Porsche and reliability in the same sentence is an absolute joke.
View Quote

Because they use info from previous years of the same car. If a car has a major redesign or is a completely new model, they will say that they can't predict reliability.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RELIABLE?

Some people prefer to believe the reliability report that was bought and paid for by the Beg 3 UAW companies.  

Its called "J.D. Power" - and it is a total f**ing joke.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I recently bought a certified '11 4Runner for my wife to drive.  I am 6'2" tall and have absolutely no headroom issues, front seat or back.  Not sure where they get "unimpressive fit and finish" either, seems pretty solid to me.  As for the other comments, what do they expect from a body on frame SUV?  Can't please everyone I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
4Runner FTW

Agreed. We have a 2010, drives like a tank. Frame only for me. I think the interior is just fine. It's not a Lexus. Leather is decent and controls feel correct for most everything. Aside from changing the oil we love it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have one of the cars in the list: the Mazda 5.  Mine is a 2008 and we bought it new.

-Brakes have been turned once under warranty & now need to be replaced at 65K miles.  Yep - FoMoCo.

The U.S. "beg 3" or Detroit car makers SUCK at making cars.  Only product I might consider from them would be a truck, though Toyotas are just as good/better for my purpose (just wish they would import a HiLux).

-Power steering failed while my wife was driving on the highway.  Warrantied (they did not identify the source of the parts, but I have a hunch they were FoMoCo parts).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the same vehicle and purchased it new in 2007 ...... the first model year for the 5.  I love it and it's been a good vehicle.

The power steering pump failed on mine at about 30K or so and was replaced under warranty.  I spent about an hour or so at the dealership getting it changed and was surprised how quickly they got it done.

They had a bunch of pumps that sat for awhile and rusted. The rust collecting in the pump caused the failure.  No big deal and Mazda took care of it quickly.

I replaced the rear shocks at 30k myself with high quality aftermarket...... yeah, the shocks sucked.

Replaced front breaks myself at 50K with Brembo rotors and Hawk pads...... rear breaks are still good at 70K. I consider this very normal maintenance.

So, outside of the bad shocks that cost me about 60.00 to replace and one easy recall, that's it for my 5.

We love it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because US Car makers are in the annuity and healthcare business.

UAW....
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Honda Fit FTW!

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like asking soccer moms what they like............is that one of them?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have the same vehicle and purchased it new in 2007 ...... the first model year for the 5.  I love it and it's been a good vehicle.

The power steering pump failed on mine at about 30K or so and was replaced under warranty.  I spent about an hour or so at the dealership getting it changed and was surprised how quickly they got it done.

They had a bunch of pumps that sat for awhile and rusted. The rust collecting in the pump caused the failure.  No big deal and Mazda took care of it quickly.

I replaced the rear shocks at 30k myself with high quality aftermarket...... yeah, the shocks sucked.Replaced front breaks myself at 50K with Brembo rotors and Hawk pads...... rear breaks are still good at 70K. I consider this very normal maintenance.So, outside of the bad shocks that cost me about 60.00 to replace and one easy recall, that's it for my 5.e love it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I replaced the rear shocks at 30k myself with high quality aftermarket...... yeah, the shocks sucked.Replaced front breaks myself at 50K with Brembo rotors and Hawk pads...... rear breaks are still good at 70K. I consider this very normal maintenance.So, outside of the bad shocks that cost me about 60.00 to replace and one easy recall, that's it for my 5.e love it.

I forgot:  Airbags:  replaced left side under warranty around 25K miles.  At 58K, the light comes on again, and jack-hole service advisor wants to charge us $2,000 to replace right side airbags and modules  Tells my wife - yeah, the warranty expires at 30K.  

WRONG.  We send them a picture of the owner's manual:  warranty extends to 60K, not 30 on airbags.  Dealer hemmed and hawed; we made threats, they blamed us & claimed my wife bumped something with the front bumper, causing the failure (airbags have never deployed.).  

Finally, they offer us "2 hours  - free!" of a mechanic's time to fix a system still under warranty.  Their fix?  - 2 zip ties.  Yep - they zip-tied the exposed connectors under the passenger's seat.

Funny thing is: it worked. Even more funny is:  - their fix cost them 50 cents.  But MY bill to fix would have been $2000, and they were happy to take my money (if I had not fought them).

My advice if you own a 5:  never put ANYTHING under the front seats.

-BTW - ever try changing the headlight bulb?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why would anyone want to drive a Government Motors Obama-subsidized car?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would anyone want to drive a Government Motors Obama-subsidized car?

Word.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#49]
I've always wondered how they determine these lists.  I mean, are they looking at reliability to 50k or 150k?

Quoted:
Too bad the ridgeline is so fugly.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

And it's not really useful as a truck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That manufactures the specific model car that's on the list in America.

Ford, Chevy, and Dodge all now have overseas/Canadian/Mexican plants, assembling cars from parts manufactured outside of the US.

There are no American car manufacturers any more.
Page / 3
Top Top