Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/15/2015 5:32:20 PM EDT
The recent Oscar-winner for Best Documentary, Citizenfour (2014), is a movie that every American needs to see. But since every American probably won’t go searching for it, or be willing to pay for it, the filmmakers and the studio have admirably made the movie available, totally free, on ThoughtMaybe.com. The documentary tells the story of Edward Snowden, a systems administrator who worked for the CIA, the Defense Intelligence Agency, and as a contractor inside the NSA, who discovered that the Patriot Act was being used not to find terrorists, but rather to spy on Americans. He decides to leak the proof to the press and contacts journalists Laura Poitras (who directed this film) and Glenn Greenwald.

Nervous, agitated, terrified, but still full of purpose, he agrees to sit for a series of hotel room interviews before going into hiding. The movie itself is gripping, and the information Snowden reveals is terrifying—and infuriating. Citizenfour embraces the idea that Snowden could be either a traitor or a hero, and that only time will tell; this story is not over.

LINK

Watch Now at ThoughtMaybe
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the link. Bookmarked for later
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
8.2/10 from 9,981 users on IMDB.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Planning to watch it tonight myself. And a bump.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I watched it on HBOGO and it really is a good documentary.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks good so far.  Will get back to this thread.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, it's about that guy who helped the Russians and terrorists.  That was nice of him.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
double tap
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh, it's about that guy who helped the Russians and terrorists.  That was nice of him.
View Quote

I wouldn't exactly call the federal government, terrorist.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Solid but have coffee ready... it gets slow.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#10]
In for Snowden hate.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He helped the federal government?  He gave their secrets to the public and god knows what else to the Russians.  The Russians don't even use email in the Kremlin any more.  They type out messages on typewriters.  They started doing this after Mr. Snowden landed.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool. I was going to watch it the last time it was announced when it turned out to be an illegal site and was pulled. Don't have HBO and iTunes had it for $20. No thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks brother

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:24:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

He helped the federal government?  He gave their secrets to the public and god knows what else to the Russians.  The Russians don't even use email in the Kremlin any more.  They type out messages on typewriters.  They started doing this after Mr. Snowden landed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I started using fucking one time pads after the snowden leaks.... whats your point?

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Fuck the government for every fuck they give the fourth amendment.
Our own rights are one of those things that should be a part of "national security".

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:33:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I glad Ari Fleischer decided for us that we are willing to give up our liberty for "security" as evidenced in Boston.

My fucking blood is boiling right now. Fuckers need to be hanging from street posts right now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Watched it last night.

That guy has some balls.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He added transparency to a program that should have had it to begin with.

They are breaking laws to spy on American citizens and completely ignoring probable cause.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Just look at all this damage he caused.

https://news.vice.com/article/official-reports-on-the-damage-caused-by-edward-snowdens-leaks-are-totally-redacted
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#20]
The Gemalto breach is pretty scary. They'll stop at nothing to spy on people.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#21]
ost
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#22]
FUBO
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current occupying regime?

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's your opinion.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
No, it's the guy that gave up a very cushy, very high paying job, his family and friends, to expose the fuckery that has been waged against our constitution.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No, it's the guy that gave up a very cushy, very high paying job, his family and friends, to expose the fuckery that has been waged against our constitution.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda agree, still thinking on it.

But I do feel Mr Snowden is FAR less a threat to my liberties than the federal government. As sure as I've ever been about anything.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This!!!

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!!

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Government roped you in hook line and sinker.

That's what they want you to think of him.

They are not supposed to be spying on US no matter what. He exposed that they were with proof. The government choose to play with fire and hopefully they will burn for it.

Shouldn't have been spying on US Citizens.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Everyone should watch it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for posting OP.

Everyone should watch this.  Everyone.  American citizen or citizen of the world.  Everyone.

I'm torn between being impressed and fascinated at the capability, and specifically, the scale of the capability, and being terrified as someone who has, on occasion, said some shit during a cell phone conversation that he probably shouldn't have said.  LOL.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Did the video mess up for anyone else watching it?

I made it half way and then it would keep pausing and stuttering.

I had to seek it out on another streaming site to finish.

I figured the NSA didn't want me to see the rest.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#37]
The guy has more balls than I do, that's for sure.

He threw it all away, and then had to run far away to tell his story.

I think as time moves on, the haters will see more rights being violated and think better of him.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#38]
All the tough guys here and yet, it's this computer nerd who FO'd. Big time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know what disturbs me more, the inaction of the mainstream news media, or that every politicians through their inaction seems complicite.  But what's really sad, is how stupid and compliant the American people seem.  

The republic is dead.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:57:27 AM EDT
[#40]
So, watching this documentary and they mentioned an email service LavaBit that Snowden used. Figured I'd look them up and found they were shut down for not giving the government the encryption keys.

Fuck you NSA

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/20/why-did-lavabit-shut-down-snowden-email
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:02:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:15:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So, watching this documentary and they mentioned an email service LavaBit that Snowden used. Figured I'd look them up and found they were shut down for not giving the government the encryption keys.

Fuck you NSA

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/20/why-did-lavabit-shut-down-snowden-email
View Quote

Look up protonmail, it's a new email service that's client side encrypted and based in Switzerland.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:35:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Fuck you NSA

View Quote

What you want now is Proton Mail
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:35:13 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:49:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Federal Government has it's moments causing grief for it's citizens.

Tag for later
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fuck the government for every fuck they give the fourth amendment.Our own rights are one of those things that should be a part of "national security".  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#48]
I watched it in the background one day while working out of the house so it didn't have 100% of my attention. The film maker seems like a douche and tried to play up the danger. Snowden is a pajama boy. And they took credibility away from the main issue(NSA spying on Joe Blow) by revealing things like where the US drones conducting air strikes were operating out of and that we were spying on people like Merkel.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Watched it on hbo last night.

Should be required watching in high school history class.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's not the fault of tough guys, just a misperception about where power lies. Nerds have little power, gunslingers have zero power.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top