Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#1]
In.

Glock Shotgun Carbine?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That looks just about perfect for a 20-12 follower.

Absolutely!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]
ETA: Damn, beat with the same exact image.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could someone please explain this?  

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have seen at least two videos of people trying to replicate a KB with the 20-12 thing and nether of the barrels blew, I am thinking it is a defect in the metal.
Here is one with no failure.
ETA:Here is a failure with an older 12 Ga. that blew closer to the muzzle like the Mossi 500
I still think it was a metal defect, a modern gun like a 500 shouldn't fail if a similar 870 like the first vid doesn't.

Both videos are the same...........
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:19:37 AM EDT
[#5]
fixed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Little more info..

This is off of the PFT facebook page:
"The shooter was indeed in the middle of a very dynamic segment making it difficult to detect. Talking to the shooter afterwards he said he thought he had a malfunction, corrected it, and kablewie."
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
nothing to do with the ammo

that was a plugged barrel

needs to learn muzzle control and dont stick it in the mud

They are saying something about wad obstruction..

Had that happen once...told Her to "suck" not "blow"...took care of the problem without any damage.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It doesn't have internal choke threads does it? If so then something could have gotten stuck if the choke wasn't screwed in all the way, or the choke had a crack or something in it.....

I had a briley choke system fail this way many many years ago in a duck blind.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's obvious what happened. That wascally wabbit

HAHAHAA  
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#10]
He didnt happen to have been shooting slugs during the day?    Maybe a squib slug?

How about Barrel clamps or accessories or to hold a magazine up.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:43:06 AM EDT
[#11]
When did Glock start making shotguns?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've had wads stuck before.  Air pressure from the upcoming shot charge just pops them out.  This was something more.  Maybe the full shot charge.

No excuse for it in a pump IMO, you should be able to feel and observe a squib easily.

No, the usual result is a burst barrel, such as the one depicted.
A shot charge behind a stuck wad does not generally just blow the wad out the end of the barrel.
If that has happened to you, you should have purchased a lottery ticket that day.  Luck like that should not be wasted.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:55:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

yup my thought too..
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:56:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
double charge?

-of powder?  Unlikely.  That scenario would likely crack the barrel at the chamber - not further down as shown.  Furthermore, double-charges are RARE in factory ammo.

Further still, the shooter was apparently using 2 and 2/3 " birdshot  ammo but the gun is built to take 3" Magnum slugs; I bet it would survive a double charge of a light bargain walmart load.

Looks like obstructed barrel.  Could well have been a 20 gauge shell followed by a 12 gauge shell.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

i am about 90% sure that is not a 590

Correct.  I own a 590, that does not appear to be one given where the mag tube ends and the lack of the dual "supports" or whatever you wish to call them that attach from the barrel to the mag tube, nor does it have the angled sling swivel on the 2nd inner support because that support is missing completely.

590:

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Front fell off.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That's what I was gonna say. Especialy if it had an IC choke. 20 ga shell slides down to the choke and boom.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#19]
any more pics
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had wads stuck before. Air pressure from the upcoming shot charge just pops them out. This was something more. Maybe the full shot charge.

No excuse for it in a pump IMO, you should be able to feel and observe a squib easily.

If I'm running a pump hard and fast, I wouldn't until it was too late.

Yep. I get 5 bowling pins down in under 2.20 consitently with my 870. Squib wouldn't even register.

I doubt a squib could have caused this, though. Not enough resistance.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He didnt happen to have been shooting slugs during the day?    Maybe a squib slug?

How about Barrel clamps or accessories or to hold a magazine up.

Not that I know of.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
any more pics

None that I have..
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Should have bought an 870P
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wait, no one has made a Glock joke yet?

ETA:  No Mossberg quality jokes either?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Mossy 590A1s have a stronger barrel than I think any other modern pump shotgun. I'll have to find an old article to prove it, but I think the military tested them and this was one reason why the 590A1 is a milspec shotgun.

ETA: "20-12 follower." Never heard that before. God, I love this place. So much info.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#26]
SBR SBS that sucker!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
nothing to do with the ammo

that was a plugged barrel

needs to learn muzzle control and dont stick it in the mud

They are saying something about wad obstruction..

......Self inflicted KB
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I did talk to my buddy who was taking the class and the guy swears up and down it was all new ammo. There is no way to know if it was a 20-12 kaboom but according to him it was new in the box ammo that he had never opened.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I did talk to my buddy who was taking the class and the guy swears up and down it was all new ammo. There is no way to know if it was a 20-12 kaboom but according to him it was new in the box ammo that he had never opened.

then an ammo company owes him a new shotgun if, that is indeed, the case

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Some duct tape, couple hose clamps, rub some dirt on it, good as new.

"Can't duct it, fuck it"
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct.  I own a 590, that does not appear to be one given where the mag tube ends and the lack of the dual "supports" or whatever you wish to call them that attach from the barrel to the mag tube, nor does it have the angled sling swivel on the 2nd inner support because that support is missing completely.  

Not all 590's have a tube that goes to the end of the barrel or a 2nd support.  Some have 18.5 inch and a 6 shot tube, no bayonet lug and no second support.  The magazine end cap on 590's are different from the one that blew up though, I am pretty sure it is a model 500.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#32]
That took a hell of a piece out of that barrel
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all 590's have a tube that goes to the end of the barrel or a 2nd support.  Some have 18.5 inch and a 6 shot tube, no bayonet lug and no second support.  The magazine end cap on 590's are different from the one that blew up though, I am pretty sure it is a model 500.

Odd, never seen a 590 like you describe.  Got any pics?  There are different models of 590's that I'm aware of, but the only differences I've seen are ghost ring sights, speedfeed stock, etc.  Would be interested to know if there's some oddball 590 that looks different than what I'm used to.

ETA:  Looking at Mossberg's site and variations of the 590, I don't see any models of the 590 like what you describe - the mariner 590 looks different, but that's obviously not what is pictured in the OP.  Also, all the 590's listed are shown as 9-shot models  If I've missed some variation that isn't listed anymore on their site, let me know.  Just would like to know it exists for idle curiosity's sake.

Nevermind, my mistake.  I finally found it under the 590A1 section on Mossberg's site after hunting around some more.  Had no idea they had 18.5" 6-shot models.  Interesting.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Odd, never seen a 590 like you describe.  Got any pics?  There are different models of 590's that I'm aware of, but the only differences I've seen are ghost ring sights, speedfeed stock, etc.  Would be interested to know if there's some oddball 590 that looks different than what I'm used to.  ETA:  Looking at Mossberg's site and variations of the 590, I don't see any models of the 590 like what you describe - the mariner 590 looks different, but that's obviously not what is pictured in the OP

the 6 shooters are like he describes

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Odd, never seen a 590 like you describe.  Got any pics?  There are different models of 590's that I'm aware of, but the only differences I've seen are ghost ring sights, speedfeed stock, etc.  Would be interested to know if there's some oddball 590 that looks different than what I'm used to.  ETA:  Looking at Mossberg's site and variations of the 590, I don't see any models of the 590 like what you describe - the mariner 590 looks different, but that's obviously not what is pictured in the OP

the 6 shooters are like he describes
http://i53.tinypic.com/90asxy.jpg

And that's a 590 not a 500?  I don't see it listed in the current 590 models on their site, so I'm just curious what the heck it is

Nevermind, found it.  It's a 590A1 18.5" 6-shot special purpose - wasn't seeing it listed under the normal 590's.  Thanks for the info.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Why does it matter if it's a 500 or 590, nerds? The fucker exploded!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Closed the barrel in a car door or hit it against something hard, causing a dent and weak spot and when they shot went past it was enough of an obstruction
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#38]
What was the temperature like outside that day? Maybe it was caused by rapid heating and cooling between stages? It would have to be frickin Antarctica and he'd have to be firing at full auto rates, but I'm just trying to figure out how in god's name that happened.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:44:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What was the temperature like outside that day? Maybe it was caused by rapid heating and cooling between stages? It would have to be frickin Antarctica and he'd have to be firing at full auto rates, but I'm just trying to figure out how in god's name that happened.

Temps were around 40-50
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:47:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will stand up to a 20 gauge shell bore obstruction?  I think not.

Actually they (probably) will, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laX3H08TuMk.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a 12 ga. barrel handy, so I don't know how far a 20 ga. shell can drop in, but for sure there is a huge difference between having an obstruction right in front of the chamber (which just raises pressure dramatically) and having one farther down the barrel.  I expected the shell to be stopped at the choke––but perhaps the rim stops it sooner.  I'll check this weekend, for curiosity's sake.  

If you watch the youtube video, you can see the rim of the 20 ga. stops at the end of the chamber (2 3/4 or 3 in froward of the breach face).
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where I'd put my money, if we were betting.

If so, where is the 20 ga round? It didn't vaporize.

way down range
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Part of the Nutnfancy project?

DP
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a 12 ga. barrel handy, so I don't know how far a 20 ga. shell can drop in, but for sure there is a huge difference between having an obstruction right in front of the chamber (which just raises pressure dramatically) and having one farther down the barrel.  I expected the shell to be stopped at the choke––but perhaps the rim stops it sooner.  I'll check this weekend, for curiosity's sake.  

If you watch the youtube video, you can see the rim of the 20 ga. stops at the end of the chamber (2 3/4 or 3 in froward of the breach face).

As I said, I don't have a 12 ga. handy, but I did just measure a 20 ga. rim and found it to be .757"––which would not go into a properly sized 12 ga. bore (.720"), so that would put serious doubt in my mind this was a 12/20 bore obstruction.  Now I'm thinking he jammed the muzzle into the dirt and plugged it.  

Oh, one other reason to eliminate the 20 ga. shell theory, now that I think about it––590s don't have a choke to constrict and catch, even if the 20 ga. shell could slide in further due to overboring (I don't know if 590 barrels are overbored or not).

D'oh!  Stupid, silly me!  I just remembered I do indeed have a 12 ga. handy––and a 590 to boot.  It's under my bed.  I went and checked and a 20 ga. shell drops in farther than the chamber, but not very far into the bore.  Probably just far enough (its rim an inch or so ahead of the crimp on the 12 ga. in the chamber) to guarantee a KB.  But, that kind of KB would be just ahead of the chamber, not like the OP's pics.  

Bore plugged with mud is my bet now.

Not all shotgun bores are uniform, even within models and manufacturers. But a 20 ga shouldn't slide very far down a 12 ga bore but you can't ever tell.
Here is a picture of one 20 ga shell dropped down the bore of a Win 97.

It's pretty close to going in. If I'd dropped it in from the chamber, it would have gone up quite a ways.
Much further than just an inch or two from the chamber.
That's an open bore, 20" length barrel.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I said, I don't have a 12 ga. handy, but I did just measure a 20 ga. rim and found it to be .757"––which would not go into a properly sized 12 ga. bore (.720"), so that would put serious doubt in my mind this was a 12/20 bore obstruction.  Now I'm thinking he jammed the muzzle into the dirt and plugged it.  

Oh, one other reason to eliminate the 20 ga. shell theory, now that I think about it––590s don't have a choke to constrict and catch, even if the 20 ga. shell could slide in further due to overboring (I don't know if 590 barrels are overbored or not).

D'oh!  Stupid, silly me!  I just remembered I do indeed have a 12 ga. handy––and a 590 to boot.  It's under my bed.  I went and checked and a 20 ga. shell drops in farther than the chamber, but not very far into the bore.  Probably just far enough (its rim an inch or so ahead of the crimp on the 12 ga. in the chamber) to guarantee a KB.  But, that kind of KB would be just ahead of the chamber, not like the OP's pics.  

Bore plugged with mud is my bet now.

Not all shotgun bores are uniform, even within models and manufacturers. But a 20 ga shouldn't slide very far down a 12 ga bore but you can't ever tell.
Here is a picture of one 20 ga shell dropped down the bore of a Win 97.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/danc46/003-10.jpg
It's pretty close to going in. If I'd dropped it in from the chamber, it would have gone up quite a ways.
Much further than just an inch or two from the chamber.
That's an open bore, 20" length barrel.

Here is something I posted earlier.
Quoted:
Little more info..

This is off of the PFT facebook page:
"The shooter was indeed in the middle of a very dynamic segment making it difficult to detect. Talking to the shooter afterwards he said he thought he had a malfunction, corrected it, and kablewie."

I am not sure what dynamic segment they were doing but he could have been laying down shooting under a structure and accidentally plugged his barrel with mud. The part where he thought he had a malfunction part is what is making me lean towards 20-12. He could have loaded the 20, the trigger went click and then he racked in another 12ga shell and then kaboom.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top