Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2014 11:17:46 AM EDT
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D42AFS8?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Check out this pocket sized battery jump starter/phone charger

Has 4-1/2 stars out of 5 on amazon

Might be perfect for an emergency when you are stranded with a dead battery in the freezing cold

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe that will have the power to start a V8 truck engine in 0F weather.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL I would love to see that thing crank my Titan
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Sweet, that goes on the xmas list.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't believe that will have the power to start a V8 truck engine in 0F weather.
View Quote

If it is good enough to do that then the battery storage issue with hybrids has a solution.

I did not read reviews or a unbiased lab test but I am skeptical.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The MAC tool guy was doing a demo with one at my old work. It was the same concept but $200.

It started an S10 that had been sitting for months and didn't have a battery in it. Just hooked it to the (+) (-) cables.

I was impressed. Don't know how good the amazon ones are but with the rating I bet its the same.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It would be able to.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
If it can jump a car engine, I don't think I want that kind of amperage near my testicles.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a similar one but different brand. It works like a champ, it has started everything I threw at it, even started a V6 4 Runner hooked directly to the cable with no battery.

It works, will it start a Diesel, hell no, will it start a big V8 in cold weather, remains to be seen but willing to chance it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out the NOCO genius gb30. More expensive. Higher rating and reviews. States able to start v8 engines. Works great. I found it on sale for under a hundred dollars. Wish I bought more.

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB30-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B00M1OUBES/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1416416141&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=Genus+G30
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Whichever brand the Snap-On guy is selling will start our Mercedes diesels in 50 degrees weather. Haven't had the chance to try it in freezing temps. All of us in the shop are impressed with them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#11]
WTF is that, a bunch of wired together capacitors in plastic box and some sensors? I have had the jumper packs in the past, they had a bitch of a time starting a V6 S10, those POS could barely get single turn of a V8.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I doubt that thing would start a 22re (4 cylinder 'yota engine) let alone my V6 4runner.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#15]
ITT we find out who has never seen one in action.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well.
We had 3 of them in our used car dept until some dumbass lent one of them to a wholesaler to boost a beater he was checking out.
Hooked the cables up backwards and the box exploded and caught fire.

That being said, I have started several diesel trucks (DMAX, Cummins, F350 etc ) with either of our remaining 2 in -20*F temperatures and the engines crank like they have new batteries hooked up.
Sure beats the hell out of hauling a battery cart or a 40LB boost box around a lot with 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Those things are a godsend, they really work well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
They're probably using LiPo or LiFePO4 cells.  It it really amazing how much current these new generation battery cells can put out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Check out the NOCO genius gb30. More expensive. Higher rating and reviews. States able to start v8 engines. Works great. I found it on sale for under a hundred dollars. Wish I bought more.

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB30-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B00M1OUBES/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1416416141&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=Genus+G30
View Quote

I just bought one of these myself and will vouch for the build quality.

I haven't used it to start anything yet.  Hope I never have to, but I bet it would start just about everything.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They're probably using LiPo or LiFePO4 cells.  It it really amazing how much current these new generation battery cells can put out.
View Quote

This is the answer. I use these cells in my RC trucks. They can put out 100 amps.

ETA - The connectors on it even look like ones used in the RC hobby.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#22]
They are super popular in the motorcycle world, they work great. Also awesome as back up power for phones, cameras, lap tops ect.

No idea how they would work vs big v8's ect but I would not be surprised they would crank them right over.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bet you're right. The one the MAC man showed me had what looked to be MOSFET wired in line like you'd see on an airsoft gun running LiPos.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#24]
i dont want something with enough oomph to start a car next to my dick.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Tagged
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Going to have to go with this.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

They can start a car anywhere, your dick doesn't even have to be close to it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

F250 7.3L
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

My V8 truck's battery doesn't have the power to start the engine after a night of 0F.

I connected a Battery Tender lead and plug it in every night in the garage. One of my practice partners drives a Tesla. We both plug our vehicles in at night, but I get the added fun of a 15MPG V8 and GMC's Lucas-designed electrical system.

I can sit and listen to the radio for about 10 minutes before getting the "start engine/battery low" warning. So, I crank the engine over, but the radio still forgets its presets. It randomly forgets when it's cold anyway. Yeah, I probably need to just replace the battery, but it's maddening that a normally garaged and regularly driven vehicle should have a battery go T-U after 3 years, especially with the upgraded alternator and plenty of highway driving.

So, I should probably get one of these starters for the inevitable day my vehicle won't start when nobody's around to give a jump.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#30]
My brother bought a "Micro Start" from the Mac man and is impressed. It is larger than the one linked but I don't think it is 2 lbs. Said to be able to start a diesel, think its rated for 800 amps. Sub $200. Another guy in the shop has been abusing one for a couple months and a smaller one that he takes with him on the motorcycle.
Looks interesting, might buy one myself.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#31]
The Antigravity series has a very good reputation and there are favorable reviews on Expedition Portal.  Yep, it'll crank a V8 and there is a model designed for heavy engines like diesels (the XP-10). Heck, there are videos on-line of folks cranking Land Rover Discoveries with a Dewalt 18v battery.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I was looking at this one earlier.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MQ5Z5F2/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1416428743&sr=1-9&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

How long until I can wire ten of the together for a portable railgun?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Found the specs over at Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-thVsn8wEG9b/p_860PDJS12K/PowerAll-PBJS12000-R.html

jump starter current: 200 - 400 amps
battery capacity: 12,000mAh

You might get one or two shots at jump starting a car, but if the internal cells are Lithium, the power pack better be warm (above freezing) or your current output is going to be shit.  It's probably similar to an overgrown laptop battery, 16 x 18650 cells.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#34]
My BIL has one. Said he tested it and started his Jeep just fine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#35]
You guys must have some big pockets.

Looks like a nice thing to travel with.  I always have a jump starter in my personal vehicles, but only seem to ever need them on the road when in a rental.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Interesting how the picture on Amazon shows the negative going to the negative terminal.  I realize a lot of folks do that, but the "official" safety thing has always been to ground it away from the battery, due to the small risk of a spark igniting hydrogen gas.  Is this pretty much considered a non-issue these days?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Interesting how the picture on Amazon shows the negative going to the negative terminal.  I realize a lot of folks do that, but the "official" safety thing has always been to ground it away from the battery, due to the small risk of a spark igniting hydrogen gas.  Is this pretty much considered a non-issue these days?
View Quote

This.  I always find a non painted, metal body component (usually a dog bone or a strut top bolt) to connect the negative terminal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

This.  I always find a non painted, metal body component (usually a dog bone or a strut top bolt) to connect the negative terminal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that of all the times I've "jumped" somebody, I've only had success grounding off of the frame/body ONCE (out of tens of times).

I know that it's the "correct" thing to do, but most times you have to hook the negative directly up to the battery to get the peak amount of current to where it will actually work.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#40]
A friend has one and they do work.  They have a diesel model too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

if its anything like my matco versapower pro itll start a v8 diesel truck in 0f weather.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think that of all the times I've "jumped" somebody, I've only had success grounding off of the frame/body ONCE (out of tens of times).

I know that it's the "correct" thing to do, but most times you have to hook the negative directly up to the battery to get the peak amount of current to where it will actually work.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have always connected the dead side first. Negative then positive. The go to the live battery, neg then positive.  I have never seen a spark doing it this way.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had success as long as I avoided painted surfaces. My car has a chunk of metal that I had assumed was specifically to clamp the negative cable to for grounding, but I can't get it to start at all of I use it.  But, no issues if I use an exposed bolt.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a different brand than the ones linked to here, but it was around $100 from a tool guy that stops by the shop.  I used it to start my Suburban (96, 350) yesterday morning.  It was 8 degrees out, -3 windchill.

I love the thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I've got one off the snap on truck. It's a beast, starts my F-150, John Deere farm tractor and a F-450 V-10. It'll only charge my iPhone three times before it's dead. Jumped my truck six times in a row and only dropped one light out of five.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Just an FYI, I may or may not have started a 2013 Mustang GT (Coyote V8 - had to replace battery) with two standard 6v lantern batteries once or twice so I can see where something like that can work well enough in a pinch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

if its anything like my matco versapower pro itll start a v8 diesel truck in 0f weather.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think it would jump a 24v truck battery or is it 12v only?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Hummmmm,

Might need to have that added to the Christmas list.

NOCO Genius Boost GB30 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter

It comes with a cig lighter port, can you keep it plugged in to charge?  (Does it keep from over charging or drain the battery when the car is off?)

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Used one on a STi. Worked great.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
It would be able to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be able to.
I watched one start a 5.9 Cummings. I never would have thought it possible.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top