User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bet it was healthcare costs as the driving factor

View Quote

This is going to become more and more common in the years to come.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to hear more Americans losing their jobs. Glad I bought a Lennox
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I feel bad for the employees.  Rough to lose 1000+ good paying blue collar jobs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#4]

but yet the next unemployment numbers released by Zero will be even better.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bet it was healthcare costs as the driving factor

View Quote

No shit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You can move your ass out of Indiana back to where you are from anytime you want sport.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The real reason is because Mexicans drive better than people from Indiana and the insurance costs were too high.

You can move your ass out of Indiana back to where you are from anytime you want sport.

Unfortunately I can't.

1.  I have a job I can't really "quit".
2.  Too many folks with Indiana plates are clogging up both the left and right lanes simultaneously.  Can't get anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, on the bright side, those jobs will be...........

.........just outside Indianapolis.........
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The real reason is because Mexicans drive better than people from Indiana and the insurance costs were too high.
View Quote

No, only Hendricks County drivers...

TC
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

TC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TC

Johnson.

Maybe it's a proximity to the city thing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, unions fault. Current tier of $14 an hour is just to high...........................

It's a race to the bottom union or not.

What they should do is fire the asshoes that hired the engineers that designed some of the fvcked up systems in the past.

Don't worry people,  we'll be supporting them 100% now, hope everyone feels better.

Always love when companies bitch about OT wages when they cut workers and then have to run the remaining workers longer shifts.................

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you don't have to click the link, yes they are union.

Yeah, unions fault. Current tier of $14 an hour is just to high...........................

What they should do is fire the asshoes that hired the engineers that designed some of the fvcked up systems in the past.

Don't worry people,  we'll be supporting them 100% now, hope everyone feels better.

Always love when companies bitch about OT wages when they cut workers and then have to run the remaining workers longer shifts.................

You do realize that sometimes you have to do that to survive, right?  I get it, most people think all managers are dumb assess that aren't smart enough to pour their own coffee...and that might be true of some.   Others actually are pretty smart and realize that sometimes laying off 15% of the workforce to keep 85% employed when business is down, is better than everyone losing their jobs.   Sounds like in this case even that didn't help.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#14]
The economies doing great though.  Yellen is preparing the next rate hike to further spur our economic growth. Im -8% YTD, gotta love that investment privilege.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
better than moving 1400 Mexicans to Indy
View Quote

Nice way to look at it.  Can't say I disagree.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Jesus what do you guys expect what is the cost of living in the area ?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or, they could get some training and get another job.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I bet the executives are raking in millions though...
View Quote

The non-union folks that demonstrate strategy and critical thinking. Yeah. They're actually skilled and probably very successful.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I love it in when retards blame the company and forget that we have the highest corporate income tax rate in the western world and it is only going to go up from here.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/corporate-income-tax-rates-around-world-2014

Combine that with expensive union labor, rising healthcare costs, and more than likely generous pensions all to manufacture parts that the company figured out uneducated mexicans can create... who wouldn't move to Mexico?

A corporation exists to make money and if a corporation can't maximize profit with the most productive workers in the world, Americans, either the product is not worth the cost of American labor or the .gov is hammering them with taxes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, on the bright side, those jobs will be...........

.........just outside Indianapolis.........
View Quote

Well played, sir
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thats  not the point at all. If short term profits can boosted and bonuses paid for this move... why shouldn't the management do it? Capitalism ...somebody gets fucked.
View Quote

I would say a well run company looks at more than short term profits
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#22]
They still have their west Tennessee plant for now anyway.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also IN is one of the first "right to work states".

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#24]
United Technologies is the parent company.

Carrier
Otis
Aero Systems
Pratt & Whitney
and until recently Sikorsky

One of the largest corps in the world.

They simply love to shift work to low cost sources, regardless of quality, costs and impact to the velocity of the business
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Awkward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Carrier’s workers are separated into a two-tier wage system. A quarter of the workers make about $14 an hour, or about $30,000 a year. The rest make about $26 an hour, or about $55,000, but make well above $70,000 a year with overtime, Jones said.

Awkward.

My place just went away from this.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but we wound up scraping the bottom out of the barrel and half way to china.

All we could hire was idiots and criminals.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, we need more investment councillors, maybe some more baristas too.

People who lose jobs don't tend to buy other goods and services unless they absolutely have to.

I spent a couple weeks this last year driving around [I drivwe a lot in my job] and looking at all the old closed factories locally.  Absolutely staggering and absoluely scary if you contemplate on it long enough.

This country WILL go broke and people can't understand shipping manufacturing and anything else they can outsouce to another country is just speeding it along. I wouldn't place any bets against ol' Bernie willing the Presidency because people with no hope of a reasonably decent paying job will vote ''hope and change'' every time.

I do't forget about the tax rates either, HQ is still here for now though I'd bet it won't be in a few years. Not forgetting about antomation either. However, this country will be paying for the unemployed one way or the other and as taxpayers, one better not forget that.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
That's only 25% of the workers.  75% is making $26 an hour, which would have been the driving force in this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't blame this on unions. $14 an hour is not very high of a wage, especially for semi skilled assembly line work. It's not like they are taping cardboard boxes together. I mean, $14 and hour, come on...

That's only 25% of the workers.  75% is making $26 an hour, which would have been the driving force in this.

No, it is the 25%.

You train them, give them boots, safety equipment, drug counseling for 50% of them and they dont want to work.

They stay 6mo till their unemployment gets reupped, then find a way to get fired.

It turns into a constant revolving door and you cant get anything done.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

All the workers could be making $10 an hour and they would still move.

No American is going to work cheap enough.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't blame this on unions. $14 an hour is not very high of a wage, especially for semi skilled assembly line work. It's not like they are taping cardboard boxes together. I mean, $14 and hour, come on...

Yes comrade,  that must be it, dammed millionaire executive.

If we only pass another law we can some how fix this injustice!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No, it is the 25%.

You train them, give them boots, safety equipment, drug counseling for 50% of them and they dont want to work.

They stay 6mo till their unemployment gets reupped, then find a way to get fired.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it is the 25%.

Sounds like your hiring practices are in need of an overhaul.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Most residential Trane units are produced in NJ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carrier closed their plant in TN about 20 years ago. I think it too went to May-he-co, but I'm not sure. Sure hurt a LOT of people in Warren Co went they closed.  

There's a Carrier plant in northern MS just south of Memphis. I wonder if it's on the chopping block.

I'm glad I bought a Trane for my replacement, it was probably manufactured somewhere here in the midsouth...I should go look and see for peace of mind. :D

Most residential Trane units are produced in NJ.
Indoor stuff......yes.

Outdoor and commercial are made in Tyler TX, Linhaven FLA. or Vidalia GA.

Dont ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#31]
They finally tore down thier old campus in syracuse, ny.    Now its a giant rolling green field with only a few small buildings left.    

Pretty typical of ny though, too expensive to manufacture anything in this state.   So I'm not suprised to see them up and leave indiana
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Surprise surprise...

When the Business meeting happens listing all the Pros and Cons for relocating, there better be more then just "Feels" in the Cons section.

Sadly this will continue to happen
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it is the 25%.

Sounds like you can get the cream of the crop in mexico for $15 an hour.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Surprise surprise...

When the Business meeting happens listing all the Pros and Cons for relocating, there better be more then just "Feels" in the Cons section.

View Quote

As far as pros go it's hard to beat third world wages and working conditions if bottom line is your ruler.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it is the 25%.

Meh, Im just a union floor drone (ok, skilled trades) making more than management.

We saw this coming when the contract was ratified, but there was nothing we could do.

Shit wages, shit bennies, no pension, no job security and things written into the contract by union officials that are dumb as a stump.

The two tier wage setup causes a lot of animosity.

They did away with it and bumped some new hires wages by $2-3.00, others even more.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
As far as pros go it's hard to beat third world wages and working conditions if bottom line is your ruler.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Surprise surprise...

The problem they will have will be in skilled trades and engineering.

Try getting a messican to communicate to a Chinaman concerning Tooling and equipment specs.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it is the 25%.

Maybe we should outsource the management team to Mexico also. I'm sure that some Mexican will take that CEO position for 50% less than the joker that is doing it now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Meh, Im just a union floor drone (ok, skilled trades) making more than management.

We saw this coming when the contract was ratified, but there was nothing we could do.

Shit wages, shit bennies, no pension, no job security and things written into the contract by union officials that are dumb as a stump.

They did away with it and bumped some new hires wages by $2-3.00, others even more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it is the 25%.

Enjoy your animosity aka "right to work".

Worked perfectly. Split your bargaining power till it is not an issue anymore. Well played sir. Well played.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm sure most of these folks have been obtaining continuing education and skills learning on the side so that they would be more employable if something like this occurred right?

I always tell people never stop educating yourself especially during the working years.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Try getting a messican to communicate to a Chinaman concerning Tooling and equipment specs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Surprise surprise...

Lol. I routinely work in a crew composed of half a dozen different nationalities. We manage to communicate with no issues. JCI has just finished an enormous facility in Mexico to build a new line of VAV terminals, they didn't have any issues building it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Awkward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Carrier’s workers are separated into a two-tier wage system. A quarter of the workers make about $14 an hour, or about $30,000 a year. The rest make about $26 an hour, or about $55,000, but make well above $70,000 a year with overtime, Jones said.

Awkward.

No that's normal anymore.  UAW did something similar at GM and other auto makers and that's exactly how it is at the company I work at.  Keep the old hats happy and screw the young kids.   It has caused a lot of problems in various industries...railroads, power companies, etc.   A lot of businesses I've worked at have a huge gap in age/experience and also wages because of that.  It's like 50% Boomers and 50% Millenials with almost no one from my generation in between.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm sure most of these folks have been obtaining continuing education and skills learning on the side so that they would be more employable if something like this occurred right?

I always tell people never stop educating yourself especially during the working years.
View Quote

If their union/company is smart they will apply for TAA.  They'll get 2 years of free education from the .gov from the jobs moving out of country and will only go to a school that they can actually do (there are pre-tests).  We could use more American truck drivers.  Trade Adjustment Assistance Program

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You think that $14 an hour is TOO high a salary?
Ridiculous.

I'm assuming your comment was saracasm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ridiculous.

for the level of skill involed in the jobs, i bet it is.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
#ohwell ®
View Quote

This and ZFG ®.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
better than moving 1400 Mexicans to Indy
View Quote

Unfortunately, that's already happened.

TC
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They finally tore down thier old campus in Syracuse, NY. Now its a giant rolling green field with only a few small buildings left.
Pretty typical of NY though, too expensive to manufacture anything in this state.
View Quote

That's not what the tv commercials here say.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I love it in when retards blame the company and forget that we have the highest corporate income tax rate in the western world and it is only going to go up from here.

Combine that with expensive union labor, rising healthcare costs, and more than likely generous pensions all to manufacture parts that the company figured out uneducated mexicans can create... who wouldn't move to Mexico?

A corporation exists to make money and if a corporation can't maximize profit with the most productive workers in the world, Americans, either the product is not worth the cost of American labor or the .gov is hammering them with taxes.
View Quote

Would you STOP with the reality?

Feel the Bern!

TC
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ridiculous.

My time alone is worth 15.00 a hour. If you want actual work then that's gonna cost you more. This concept that hours of your life are worth min wage is madness, I guess people don't see their own value.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, hey now, quit making fun of him.

He's probably a union member who is "supports the Second Amendment" no matter who the union bosses tell everyone to vote for and contribute his union dues to.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Feel the Bern!

TC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feel the Bern!

TC

Please feel free to explain the US tax liability of a international company that operates in ever country on the planet almost. I'm sure they are just making the ends meet. Snort
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top