BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"No excuse."  lol

225 bench is within the capability of maybe 1% of the population.  Maybe.

Maths:
The number of women who can do it are so few as to be statistically insignificant.  There goes 51%.
Anybody under the age of about 16-17 has no chance.  There goes another 12%.
Over the age of 50 gets dicey as well.  Are there old dudes that can lift?  Yes.  Are there very many?  No.  There goes another 9%
Let's eliminate obesity, too.  Fat guys can be strong, but usually they aren't.  The truly obese, BMI>40, is about one in three adults.  Of the remaining 28%, you just lost 8.

We're already down to one-in-five people that even have a hope, and that's just considering gender, age, and not being obscenely fat.

The average adult height is 5'9", and a normal non-obese weight for that height is around 170-190lb.  Much under 170, and your average Joe is not going to have the muscle to complete a 225 bench.  Yes, there are people lighter than that who can do it, but they've been training for years and aren't statistically relevant.

At average height, and normal weight (we'll say 180lb for a standard here), a 225 bench is 125% of bodyweight.  Here's a rudimentary breakout of lifting standards:  http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/bench-press/lb

For the average person (and remember, half the population is below average), a 225 bench is "intermediate" level performance.  Take note on how that's defined, though.  The intermediate lifter has lifted regularly and made continual progress for at least two years.  They're stronger than ~50% of people who actually lift.

So from our 20% that could even have a hope if they trained hard at it, we've got half that will be average or above, and half of that that will be intermediate or above, if they train.

So five percent of the population could bench 225 if they trained.

How many people lift?  The CDC says one in five regularly engage in strength training.  This is self-reported, so it's probably actually lower than that (people who say they lift, but don't), but let's run with it.  https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/exercise.htm

So, of the five percent of the population that could possibly do it, only one in those five actually lifts.

Rough numbers here, but about 1% of the population can bench 225.
View Quote

Your maths sucks. It is using numbers and assumptions based on a population that does not train. Most healthy, adult males are capable of bench pressing 225 should they want to.

This means they will eat and lift according to a program that progresses them to that point. If the entire population of healthy, adult males did that, then your numbers would be very different.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

"No excuse."  lol

225 bench is within the capability of maybe 1% of the population.  Maybe.

Maths:
The number of women who can do it are so few as to be statistically insignificant.  There goes 51%.
Anybody under the age of about 16-17 has no chance.  There goes another 12%.
Over the age of 50 gets dicey as well.  Are there old dudes that can lift?  Yes.  Are there very many?  No.  There goes another 9%
Let's eliminate obesity, too.  Fat guys can be strong, but usually they aren't.  The truly obese, BMI>40, is about one in three adults.  Of the remaining 28%, you just lost 8.

We're already down to one-in-five people that even have a hope, and that's just considering gender, age, and not being obscenely fat.

The average adult height is 5'9", and a normal non-obese weight for that height is around 170-190lb.  Much under 170, and your average Joe is not going to have the muscle to complete a 225 bench.  Yes, there are people lighter than that who can do it, but they've been training for years and aren't statistically relevant.

At average height, and normal weight (we'll say 180lb for a standard here), a 225 bench is 125% of bodyweight.  Here's a rudimentary breakout of lifting standards:  http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/bench-press/lb

For the average person (and remember, half the population is below average), a 225 bench is "intermediate" level performance.  Take note on how that's defined, though.  The intermediate lifter has lifted regularly and made continual progress for at least two years.  They're stronger than ~50% of people who actually lift.

So from our 20% that could even have a hope if they trained hard at it, we've got half that will be average or above, and half of that that will be intermediate or above, if they train.

So five percent of the population could bench 225 if they trained.

How many people lift?  The CDC says one in five regularly engage in strength training.  This is self-reported, so it's probably actually lower than that (people who say they lift, but don't), but let's run with it.  https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/exercise.htm

So, of the five percent of the population that could possibly do it, only one in those five actually lifts.

Rough numbers here, but about 1% of the population can bench 225.
View Quote

My post was about taking 2-3hrs a week to keep yourself in decent shape. Damn near any average size guy is going to be putting up 225 or more if he does that and keeps at it for very long.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My post was about taking 2-3hrs a week to keep yourself in decent shape. Damn near any average size guy is going to be putting up 225 or more if he does that and keeps at it for very long.
View Quote

Yep. absent some major medical issue, any guy between 13 and 55 could reach a 225# 1RM in less than one year working out 45 minutes three days a week.

Consistency and linear progression is all it takes. people fail because they don't show up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yep. absent some major medical issue, any guy between 13 and 55 could reach a 225# 1RM in less than one year working out 45 minutes three days a week.

Consistency and linear progression is all it takes. people fail because they don't show up.
View Quote

And following proper nutrition.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in my younger days I could do 320. I'm getting back into it and am at a max 2 rep of 230.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I did 2 sets of 6 reps at 225 the other day for the first time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know.  I don't I don't think pajama boy or the skinny jean wearing hillary supporters can do it.  Maybe 150# after a year of training.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell no!  I'm 50 now and I don't know if I ever could.
My back is too bad to even try it now
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to when I was 25 and worked out an hour 4 times per week. Now I'm in my late 30s with 2 kids. I don't have the time.  

I met a doctor at a gym who told me that both of us are idiots for working out with heavy weights. The smarter people exercise and get out more.
Lifting heavy puts stress on your body, joints and tendons.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I used to when I was 25 and worked out an hour 4 times per week. Now I'm in my late 30s with 2 kids. I don't have the time.  

I met a doctor at a gym who told me that both of us are idiots for working out with heavy weights. The smarter people exercise and get out more.
View Quote

face palm
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

and this the part where a lot of people myself included fall down
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't know.  I don't I don't think pajama boy or the skinny jean wearing hillary supporters can do it.  Maybe 150# after a year of training.
View Quote

I think the vast majority of healthy males could do it if they really stuck to a properly regimented exercise and diet routine, it is just that most people won't put the time and dedication in
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

None of any of this happened
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ate a pixie stick before doing bench yesterday does that count?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Heavy lifted all my life. At age 32 I was benching 360lbs and weighed 178lbs. I strained something in my shoulder, that hurt like a bitch, but luckily I didn't need surgery, and gave it up. My buddy about 2 months later tore his pec from his shoulder. He had surgery, was out of work for 6 months, and has 3 nice scars. Screw that!  Girls don't even like buff guys anyway!

I also never used any supplements, drugs of course, etc. I really loved lifting heavy weights and miss it. Life sucks, ugh!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

face palm
View Quote
What is your career field?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#18]
some real world data for you.

I just turned 50 in December, 3 years ago I decided I better get in shape or I was going to be 300lbs pretty quick.  I was 264 at the time.

I started doing primal and starting strength.  I could barely bench 95lbs a few reps and I couldn't do a real pushup.  I had to do pushups girl style.

I believe that is pretty typical physical condition for a late 40's office worker.

It took about a year but I got to 225 bench using 5x5 starting strength.  I ultimately got my max to 255 but then I started doing crossfit and we don't bench much so I am down to a 235 max.

Yea, crack on crossfit but I like the more varied approach and I don't have to think about programming.  I just show up and do what's on the board.

I do spartan races and Goruck's and notice crossfit is pretty big in those circles so that's what got me to try crossfit.

Also, my squat max is 275 and my deadlift is 385.  I don't think that is too bad considering I am 50 and just started 3 years ago.

edited to add the weight data.

I went from 264 down to 207 over about 2 years.  I have been doing crossfit for 14 months and now I am 220 again but I look a lot better than I did at 207.  I am not worried about what my weight is anymore.  I am wearing the same size clothes I did when I was 30.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What is your career field?
View Quote

Guess.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Guess.
View Quote
I don't guess.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
some real world data for you.

I just turned 50 in December, 3 years ago I decided I better get in shape or I was going to be 300lbs pretty quick.  I was 264 at the time.

I started doing primal and starting strength.  I could barely bench 95lbs a few reps and I couldn't do a real pushup.  I had to do pushups girl style.

I believe that is pretty typical physical condition for a late 40's office worker.

It took about a year but I got to 225 bench using 5x5 starting strength.  I ultimately got my max to 255 but then I started doing crossfit and we don't bench much so I am down to a 235 max.

Yea, crack on crossfit but I like the more varied approach and I don't have to think about programming.  I just show up and do what's on the board.

I do spartan races and Goruck's and notice crossfit is pretty big in those circles so that's what got me to try crossfit.

Also, my squat max is 275 and my deadlift is 385.  I don't think that is too bad considering I am 50 and just started 3 years ago.
View Quote

Everybody is different. Every since I was a teen I had crazy upper body strength, but I could never run for crap. We would do sprints during football practice and I would almost piss myself from the shin splint pain. I could, however, bench more than anybody my age.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't guess.
View Quote

Why did you come into a bench press thread if you're such a special snowflake?  Maybe you should go have a hot cocoa.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I ate a pixie stick before doing bench yesterday does that count?
View Quote

Carb timing FTW!

The slin response builds hyooooge muscles!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#24]
This is obvious to some but weight of the lifter has a lot to do with it.

A 130 lb guy pushing 225 is way more impressive than a 200 lb guy pushing 250.

So, for sake of dick measuring post your body weight!

165lbs

3 reps of 225. I am not sure what my max would be as I usually lift alone and haven't maxed in over a decade.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Not anymore!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Guess.
View Quote

MENSA recruiter!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is obvious to some but weight of the lifter has a lot to do with it.

A 130 lb guy pushing 225 is way more impressive than a 200 lb guy pushing 250.

So, for sake of dick measuring post your body weight!

165lbs

3 reps of 225. I am not sure what my max would be as I usually lift alone and haven't maxed in over a decade.
View Quote

I always did alone and was scared as hell. If you fail with 250lbs, you will die! My dad built me some outriggers that attach to my bench. If I fail I can just let the weights right down on them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Heavy lifted all my life. At age 32 I was benching 360lbs and weighed 178lbs. I strained something in my shoulder, that hurt like a bitch, but luckily I didn't need surgery, and gave it up. My buddy about 2 months later tore his pec from his shoulder. He had surgery, was out of work for 6 months, and has 3 nice scars. Screw that!  Girls don't even like buff guys anyway!

I also never used any supplements, drugs of course, etc. I really loved lifting heavy weights and miss it. Life sucks, ugh!
View Quote

Hmm...I know another young guy (24-29) working in a gym at the time that tore his pec from his shoulder on bench, says the guy that repaired him said it was a fairly common injury among college football players in that area.  He claims only push-ups now.  He grins at me and says you better be careful.  I would be interested to know what the numbers are for injuries requiring surgical repair?  Although that wouldn't make me stop, after all I know driving is dangerous and I'm not giving that up.  May be a special endorphin released when reaching new 1 rm.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think the vast majority of healthy males could do it if they really stuck to a properly regimented exercise and diet routine, it is just that most people won't put the time and dedication in
View Quote

Hey man i wear slinny jeans and can do it.  I have been lifting since 15 years old to some degree or another.  Ive started to lift a lot more carefully than I did in my early to mid twenties.  

But either way my whole life has been scheduled around proper nutrition and years of daily lifting, to the point of it controlling my schedule.

Just saying this whole skinny jean thing is getting to be retarded, that doesnt necessarily correlate to political affiliation.  If you dont like them thats okay with me because I personally prefer Iphones over LAN lines or Jitterbugs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why did you come into a bench press thread if you're such a special snowflake?  Maybe you should go have a hot cocoa.
View Quote
I'm trying to figure out why someone that is not a doctor is face palming that doctor's worded advice.

When I want to get advice about my health and what is best for me, I'll seek a doctor. When I want to know traffic laws, I'll ask a cop.

The only snowflake I see is people of the internet like yourself, acting like they know more about a doctor's expert opinion over an actual doctor themselves. That's a special kind of stupid right there.

And I came into a general discussion thread asking if I can lift 225 and I gave my answer, an answer which obviously triggered some very angry people that they turned it into a nonsensical quest over a very umbrage that was self imagined by themselves.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Easy Peasy, Playing college ball they would test you how many times you could do 225. 

I did it 18 time for a calculated 351lbs 1 rep max. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hey man i wear slinny jeans and can do it.  I have been lifting since 15 years old to some degree or another.  Ive started to lift a lot more carefully than I did in my early to mid twenties.  

But either way my whole life has been scheduled around proper nutrition and years of daily lifting, to the point of it controlling my schedule.

Just saying this whole skinny jean thing is getting to be retarded, that doesnt necessarily correlate to political affiliation.  If you dont like them thats okay with me because I personally prefer Iphones over LAN lines or Jitterbugs.
View Quote

Sorry I ragged on your skinny jeans.  I apologize.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Kids do take a lot of time. They are no excuse for not being able to bench 225 though. That's like lifting the bar once a week or something. I am chasing around 4 little ones and I still manage to find time to lift 2-3 days a week. That's enough to maintain a 3 plate bench and 5 plate dead lift and not get fat.
View Quote

I lean towards the ectomorph so strength training has never been a strong suit.  I do the things I enjoy in my free time, which right now is soccer, so any training I'm doing is being applied there.  I'd love to know how many of these guys pushing 225 can run even an 8 minute mile.  Judging by the vids/pics, I'm guessing not too many.  No excuse to not be able to run an 8 minute mile....that's girl stuff.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hmm...I know another young guy (24-29) working in a gym at the time that tore his pec from his shoulder on bench, says the guy that repaired him said it was a fairly common injury among college football players in that area.  He claims only push-ups now.  He grins at me and says you better be careful.  I would be interested to know what the numbers are for injuries requiring surgical repair?  Although that wouldn't make me stop, after all I know driving is dangerous and I'm not giving that up.  May be a special endorphin released when reaching new 1 rm.
View Quote

The pain was stupid. I can't even explain it. I felt a little click as I went down and up with the weight and didn't think anymore of it. I was so happy because I was really closing in on benching 370lbs and only weighing 178lbs. I woke up the next morning and could barely get out of bed. The pain was intense! Two weeks later it was gone. That was 5 years ago. I am scared to hit the bench again. Sucks!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I lean towards the ectomorph so strength training has never been a strong suit.  I do the things I enjoy in my free time, which right now is soccer, so any training I'm doing is being applied there.  I'd love to know how many of these guys pushing 225 can run even an 8 minute mile.  Judging by the vids/pics, I'm guessing not too many.  No excuse to not be able to run an 8 minute mile....that's girl stuff.
View Quote

Because guy running breeds cowardice and you can't flex cardio. Running lawlz.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#36]
If this is how you are measuring your worth as a man  you are a pathetic looser  get out of the gym go help your community.  or learn a trade

Dude we honestly don't need threads like this. If you are feeling inadequate go to a gay bar & get hit on.

other than that go  stroke your chode alone.

I don't need to run today. I throw hand grenades expert,  & I shoot expert  
View Quote

SPC  Vasquez
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Body typing is bullshit. "I'm an ectomorph" is a pitiful excuse.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out why someone that is not a doctor is face palming that doctor's worded advice.

When I want to get advice about my health and what is best for me, I'll seek a doctor. When I want to know traffic laws, I'll ask a cop.

The only snowflake I see is people of the internet like yourself, acting like they know more about a doctor's expert opinion over an actual doctor themselves. That's a special kind of stupid right there.

And I came into a general discussion thread asking if I can lift 225 and I gave my answer, an answer which obviously triggered some very angry people that they turned it into a nonsensical quest over a very umbrage that was self imagined by themselves.
View Quote

Because doctors are full of shit.  I know from personal experience.  They like to get out of their lane on topics of lifting and athletics.  They've learned their craft taking care of land whales and old people - not athletes.   Hell, physical therapists and athletic trainers know way more about these topics.  Maybe orthopedic surgeons who practice in sports medicine and treat a lot of athletes are worthy of giving advice.

eta:  My father is an orthopedic surgeon.  You know what his answer is to everything?  don't do it.  Shoulder hurts?  Stop using it for a year and it will get better.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Because guy running breeds cowardice and you can't flex cardio. Running lawlz.
View Quote

This is now the most important post in this thread.

#stealingmylines
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most doctors have no fucking clue about strength straining.  That's the issue with them spewing bullshit advice.  

Lifting heavy weights with proper form is not a problem for most people.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes to the 225.

Yes to that 8 minute mile.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I looked back for your answer and these are my conclusions.

1.  Frayedknot has spammed the hell out of this thread, and frankly I'm tired of looking at Rambo.
2.  This was your response:

Don't know, don't care.

Ever since L1 through L5 had permanent nerve damage and the doc's warning against any lifting, haven't tried to find out if I still can.

Oh well.

So you came into this thread to go all drama queen on us about the sand in your vagina because you don't lift.  Fitting avatar.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#43]
How much is 250lb (all the weight) on this machine compared to a normal bench? How much mechanical advantage is there...

Just curious...it feel like 50-60% or a normal barbell plus plates.

Attachment Attached File

I normally use barbells but this thing is in my office, guys do 200 on this and think they're hot shit, but they fat old bastards.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Because doctors are full of shit.  I know from personal experience.  They like to get out of their lane on topics of lifting and athletics.  They've learned their craft taking care of land whales and old people - not athletes.   Hell, physical therapists and athletic trainers know way more about these topics.  Maybe orthopedic surgeons who practice in sports medicine and treat a lot of athletes are worthy of giving advice.

eta:  My father is an orthopedic surgeon.  You know what his answer is to everything?  don't do it.  Shoulder hurts?  Stop using it for a year and it will get better.
View Quote

As a professional engineer, I risk fines or even losing my stamp if I practice outside of my "education and experience".  Doctors do all the time and...nothing. The general public treats them like gods who know everything. Sad really.

Educate yourselves people.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Dunno, haven't tried in ages. I'd like to hope so.  I was screwing around in the gym with my son and put up 185 pretty easy.  For the record, I'm a big pussy who sleeps late instead of going to the gym these days.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ok, I looked back for your answer and these are my conclusions.

1.  Frayedknot has spammed the hell out of this thread, and frankly I'm tired of looking at Rambo.
2.  This was your response:

So you came into this thread to go all drama queen on us about the sand in your vagina because you don't lift.  Fitting avatar.
View Quote

#crushed
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
CSB

I like my doctor. Instead of medication he gives me PT that involves lots of low impact cardio. Its been so helpful that I can now do the things that I thought I would never be able to do again. None of that involves weight lifting. That can never happen and talk like you know more means you're the one that is full of shit.

You stay in your lane and worry about yourself.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Most doctors have no fucking clue about strength straining.  That's the issue with them spewing bullshit advice.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSB

Most internet experts such as yourself have no fucking clue at all. Your bullshit advice has the maximum effective range of zero meters.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
CSB

I like my doctor. Instead of medication he gives me PT that involves lots of low impact cardio. Its been so helpful that I can now do the things that I thought I would never be able to do again. None of that involves weight lifting. That can never happen and talk like you know more means you're the one that is full of shit.

You stay in your lane and worry about yourself.
View Quote

I am in my lane, which is in a GD thread about bench pressing.  Not sure why you're here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I am in my lane, which is in a GD thread about bench pressing.  Not sure why you're here.
View Quote
You are?

Your face palm comment about someone repeating a doctor's advice certainly proved otherwise.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top