Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He shouldn't have told Buds any unnecessary details.  They probably just skimmed the email, saw the word 'gunsmithing' and sent a canned response telling him no.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just don't expect Buds to send a new rifle to your gunsmith...  Bought a bolt gun from them and told them to ship it to my gunsmith as to get the barrel threaded, new trigger installed, mounted in new stock, etc and they shit all over that and said no can do.  They mandated that they send it to my FFL first and then it was up to me to ship it to my gunsmith for work.  I replied with "My FFL is my gunsmith..."  

Dead deal right then and there -

So what exactly was the issue?

If your FFL is your gunsmith....have them ship it to your FFL, and everyone is happy.

He shouldn't have told Buds any unnecessary details.  They probably just skimmed the email, saw the word 'gunsmithing' and sent a canned response telling him no.

As right as you are, any reputable gunsmith has an FFL and they should of just shipped it there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do you all go to Bud's when you have us?  

Aren't you the guys that added a few extra dollars to a guy's order for no reason, then when he brought it up you said something along the lines of "it's just a few dollars, if you don't like it go elsewhere"?  

I think it had something to do with a refund.  That was a fun thread.

Link?

Not sure if this is the one he's talking about.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1414278_Beware_of_Quantico_Tactical
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#3]
both Buds and Quantico have gotten thousands of my monies, no problem with either of them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just don't expect Buds to send a new rifle to your gunsmith...  Bought a bolt gun from them and told them to ship it to my gunsmith as to get the barrel threaded, new trigger installed, mounted in new stock, etc and they shit all over that and said no can do.  They mandated that they send it to my FFL first and then it was up to me to ship it to my gunsmith for work.  I replied with "My FFL is my gunsmith..."  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Maybe you should have simply identified the recipient as  your FFL and saved a whole lot of hassle
Quoted:
Quoted:
local gun shop has a giant sign
>$60 to transfer from Buds<
I bet there's a guy in the next town who'll do it for $ 25  

Pfftt.
I do 'em from Buds all the time for less than that.
I understand that people want the best deal
It's the absolute nickel and dime buyers that make me scratch my head
Quoted:
Getting the gun I want for a $100 or more less than what the local gun store charges helps me keep MY lights on, so yeah...fuck the local gun store.

Fine in theory UNTIL you need the local gun store guy and guess what...he's no longer in business.
Even as an FFL I still go into the local brick and mortar gun guy down the road and we talk shop and I'll buy something small that yeah I could have ordered myself at dealer cost.
But I believe we need the brick and mortar guys even if there will be table top guys like me who can pick up much of the slack when no brick and mortar guys exist
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Cute.

You do realize that Bud's doesn't stock a lot of the shit they list on their website, right?  They order from a distributor after you place your order which is why it sometimes takes a long fucking time to get something from Bud's.

They have very little overhead, unlike your local shop.  That's how they undercut everyone's prices.

If your local shop priced their guns the same as Bud's, they'd be out of business.  I don't know why this shit is so hard for some people to understand but hey, fuck the gun store for trying to keep the lights on, right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I asked about transfers from Buds at a local gunshop.  The dude behind the counter went into some unhinged rant attacking not only Buds, but Amazon and even capitalism.  I told him if they could offer competitive prices, maybe Buds wouldn't be putting them out of business.  He turned red and started screaming.  I guess they didn't want my business

Cute.

You do realize that Bud's doesn't stock a lot of the shit they list on their website, right?  They order from a distributor after you place your order which is why it sometimes takes a long fucking time to get something from Bud's.

They have very little overhead, unlike your local shop.  That's how they undercut everyone's prices.

If your local shop priced their guns the same as Bud's, they'd be out of business.  I don't know why this shit is so hard for some people to understand but hey, fuck the gun store for trying to keep the lights on, right?

This. We don't deal with Bud's either for that exact reason. And the guy who runs a kitchen table FFL doesn't care because he lacks overhead as well.

ETA: The best is when someone comes in to finger bang the inventory, then wants to order it from Bud's.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like you guys, and spend a hell of a lot in your Killeen store, All my M&P's came from you for example.  However, you don't sell a lot of things i'm interested in.

About once a month I do a pawn shop crawl thru Killeen and always hit your store.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Cute.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I asked about transfers from Buds at a local gunshop.  The dude behind the counter went into some unhinged rant attacking not only Buds, but Amazon and even capitalism.  I told him if they could offer competitive prices, maybe Buds wouldn't be putting them out of business.  He turned red and started screaming.  I guess they didn't want my business

Cute.

You do know that they also have 3 brick and mortar stores 2 of which have indoor ranges and features gun rentals and operate with a large staff on hand.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Getting the gun I want for a $100 or more less than what the local gun store charges helps me keep MY lights on, so yeah...fuck the local gun store.
View Quote

Amen.  F LGS
However, Bud's does so much business that charging the extra for a CC sale is ridiculous, as is the wait period for a "cash sale"  There is zero reason in today's day and age that they can't do an instant e-check debit and ship the same day.  CDNN does.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I like you guys, and spend a hell of a lot in your Killeen store, All my M&P's came from you for example.  However, you don't sell a lot of things i'm interested in.

About once a month I do a pawn shop crawl thru Killeen and always hit your store.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, if you guys would stock Benelli's I would have bought my M4 from you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, if you guys would stock Benelli's I would have bought my M4 from you.
View Quote

I believe that Benelli has some stringent stocking dealer requirements.
About as retarded as Colt got with the recent stocking dealer program it instituted.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They have the cheapest price on the gun I want to buy next according to Slickguns and free shipping on it.

We have a shop here that does it for free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn their prices went way up on everything!

They have the cheapest price on the gun I want to buy next according to Slickguns and free shipping on it.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet there's a guy in the next town who'll do it for $25  

My go to FFL does it for $15 and I'm cool with that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Cute.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cute.

At my pawnshop I sell special order guns for 10 percent over cost (assuming the customer is paying cash). If you're willing to wait the three days to get a special order gun delivered, I can usually match or beat Bud's price -- especially when you factor in my $20 transfer fee. What I can't do is avoid the state sales tax, which in my case is almost 8 percent. The sales tax alone causes some customers to choose Bud's even if my price is the same.

As the OP suggested, Bud's prices have been creeping up. They generally run about 10 percent markup. Again, I can do that for a gun I don't have in stock, as long as there are no credit card fees involved.

If I have a gun in stock, available for finger fucking and immediate delivery it's going to be priced higher -- typically 15 to 20 percent mark-up. If you're not willing to support a local merchant who pays local taxes, buys goods and services locally, employees local people and contributes to community activities, I'm cool with that. I'll take your $20 transfer fee and move on. Don't complain to me when your local economy sucks, though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Buds is my LGS. I'm in there 2-3 times a week. Judging by how busy they are lately so is half the state.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Their price on Remington Versa Max Tactical has not gone up, even stayed the same -- or considering the inflation, has actually come down.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn their prices went way up on everything!

Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet there's a guy in the next town who'll do it for $25  

My usual guy is $18.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I've bought from Buds a number of times.

They aren't always the cheapest, and when they're not, I buy from somebody else.

That said, no complaints in with dealings with Buds.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
]Getting the gun I want for a $100 or more less than what the local gun store charges helps me keep MY lights on, so yeah...fuck the local gun store.
ETA: the gun store I used to use wants $800 for a USED Mossberg MVP .308, which is available from Bud's for less than $600 NIB.
View Quote

That's the same gun I was looking to get in my post.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I tend to buy and order from my local shops to support them.  Yes, I might pay more here and there, but it's worth it to have them there right down the road when I want to buy something, and their range for me to use too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I tend to buy and order from my local shops to support them.  Yes, I might pay more here and there, but it's worth it to have them there right down the road when I want to buy something, and their range for me to use too.
View Quote

That was the best part about moving, the LGS here actually have good prices. I bought a pistol at one of the LGS here and it was cheaper than Buds and Grabagun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Hadn't noticed. Buds is a pestilence, i have piles of random guns now
View Quote

The random guns are rarely a good deal. The HK P7 was the exception.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You do know that they also have 3 brick and mortar stores 2 of which have indoor ranges and features gun rentals and operate with a large staff on hand.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cute.

We have a Bud's locally now and it is fairly large. I'm not really a fan, I've been in there 6-7 times and have had horribly shitty service when I actually got service...one does get good service at their range though. My LGS didn't always have the best prices, but the service has always been great and now that they have more local competition their prices are much better.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine has a big sign that says $75 now
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Just like everything else the Internet has changed the way we all buy goods.  I don't see this going away.  Understandably, guns are more complicated because of all the background checks and laws regarding transfers.  However, if you have an LGS, you better adapt to the "new" economy on guns that's actually been around for the last 10 or 15 years.  Sure, there will always be some people who wouldn't dare purchase online, but most of them will eventually die off.  Short of some Federal laws banning the purchase of firearms online, LGS is somewhat of a dying industry.  I'm not sure what the solution is, but it's going to have to include doing transfers in a competitive manner.  Telling people to pay $50 per transfer or f*ck off is just going to run you out of business.  Every LGS should have a showroom and an Internet business, just like car dealerships.  If they don't,  smaller FFLS and tabletop FFLS will fill the void.  It kinda sucks as I would prefer to get the feel of things before buying, but what can you do.  I appreciate LGS, but people will migrate to where they get the best bang for the buck.  Adapt or die.

ETA:  I think Davidson's Gallery of Guns is a great way for a LGS to get started.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Some really stupid thing about LE/Military only. Sounds like you are not a true supporter of the 2nd to me.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Some really stupid thing about LE/Military only. Sounds like you are not a true supporter of the 2nd to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, I like them for that reason.  When my local police supply did away with that the prices went WAY up and the smell got a lot worse.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Actually, I like them for that reason.  When my local police supply did away with that the prices went WAY up and the smell got a lot worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then give a discount to LE/Military. Just don't tell me they deserve to purchase something I don't.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

One of my local places wants $70.  Why do some FFL's want more to transfer a Bud's gun?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why do some FFL's want more to transfer a Bud's gun?
View Quote

Because people are buying from Bud's instead of from their store with a higher price.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

One of my local places wants $70.  Why do some FFL's want more to transfer a Bud's gun?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never mind I get it now.  Need some coffee.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That was the best part about moving, the LGS here actually have good prices. I bought a pistol at one of the LGS here and it was cheaper than Buds and Grabagun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a place like that, briefly. US Guns started at the guy's house, then he opened a storefront, then he closed the place down and retired. He always had the best prices, especially when he was selling from out of his house. Every other LGS here in KC is full MSRP on everything, and the owners and employees are jerks, usually.

The guy I use (also based from his home) charges $20 for transfers and Bud's and other online retailers are pretty much his bread and butter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Then give a discount to LE/Military. Just don't tell me they deserve to purchase something I don't.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can buy anything I can at QT.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think bud's has a Leo program  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think bud's has a Leo program  

They do.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I have bought a lot from buds. My local ffl  doesn't care who I order from he gets his $20 without having having to carry a lot In stock.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is what happens when you talk too much and confuse people with unnecessary details that have nothing to do with them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I ran into this crap 15 years ago when I was trying to buy guns online for the first time. The gunshops I went to, where I had bought guns before, all quoted me ridiculous transfer fees and rolled their eyes at me. But they didn't even sell the stuff I was buying online.  

Now the guy I found through Bud's is great. He even says he can't match Bud's and doesn't bother. But I also bought my glock 43 from him, my saiga was another gun he had on the shelf, I've bought .22lr there and other stuff

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ran into this crap 15 years ago when I was trying to buy guns online for the first time. The gunshops I went to, where I had bought guns before, all quoted me ridiculous transfer fees and rolled their eyes at me. But they didn't even sell the stuff I was buying online.  

Now the guy I found through Bud's is great. He even says he can't match Bud's and doesn't bother. But I also bought my glock 43 from him, my saiga was another gun he had on the shelf, I've bought .22lr there and other stuff

Bud's doesn't stock hardly anything. Almost everything they sell is drop shipped from the distributors and they tack on extra for their profit. Basically when you make an order with them they just forward the order to the distributor to ship to your FFL.

Your guy can match Bud's price if uses the same distributor but there's not any point in him doing so. He makes the same amount on the transfer and you have to do all of the legwork of ordering and paying for the gun then when it shows up all he has to do is log it in and transfer it to you. The dealers who don't like Buds are morons. It's easy money.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

because you refused to sell me anything made by smith & wesson, since i'm not active or retired military.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Cute.

View Quote

This. We don't deal with Bud's either for that exact reason. And the guy who runs a kitchen table FFL doesn't care because he lacks overhead as well.

ETA: The best is when someone comes in to finger bang the inventory, then wants to order it from Bud's.
View Quote

1. Local gun stores can do the same thing as Buds about ordering from distributors. One of mine does. It's slow and cheap. It's kind of like the productivity triangle.

2. My favorite local gun store has great staff. They don't care when you finger fuck things or ask research type questions. They gladly help you (over the phone too), even when they know you'll buy it off the internet elsewhere. They do small repairs and troubleshooting for free. They generally sell only high-end guns, so they don't have to compete directly with places like Buds. Guess what? I recently paid $200 more for a suppressor from them than I could have bought it online (including transfer fees). I did it for three reasons. I wanted to give them some business for being so helpful over the years. I knew they would do the paperwork right and make it as turnkey as possible for me. I know they won't go out of business while I'm waiting for my can to get out of ATF jail. This store knows how to compete with Buds. It's not by resenting their customers for buying products at the lowest available price.

3. Kitchen table FFLs do not have lower overhead than regular gun shops. The regular gun shop is already set up as a store and has to stay that way to conduct retail sales. Processing transfers does not add one dime to the store's overhead. If anything, the kitchen table FFL is at a cost disadvantage because he does have some costs attributable to transfers, while the regular store does not. It's just price competition. Some store owners make up reasons to justify non-competitive prices. I have switched my FFL transfer business to a transfer-only outfit because it's cheaper and, more importantly, the service is better than my nearest gun store.

Some gun stores aren't having a hard time because of the internet. They're having a hard time because they think business should work like the owner wants it to instead of how the customer demands it to.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

3. Kitchen table FFLs do not have lower overhead than regular gun shops. The regular gun shop is already set up as a store and has to stay that way to conduct retail sales. Processing transfers does not add one dime to the store's overhead. If anything, the kitchen table FFL is at a cost disadvantage because he does have some costs attributable to transfers, while the regular store does not. It's just price competition. Some store owners make up reasons to justify non-competitive prices. I have switched my FFL transfer business to a transfer-only outfit because it's cheaper and, more importantly, the service is better than my nearest gun store.

Some gun stores aren't having a hard time because of the internet. They're having a hard time because they think business should work like the owner wants it to instead of how the customer demands it to.
View Quote

Kitchen table guys typically operate under the radar and don't have many of the expenses or inventory of a brick and mortar place
The time involved with a transfer is what the brick and mortar guy is looking at.
This topic has been discussed at length here in the past.
I don't think some of you quite understand how much time some people cost the dealer, whether its a brick and mortar guy or a table top guy.
It's a lot more involved then just sending a copy of your FFL and then logging in the gun when it arrives and then doing the transfer.
Then you have some buyers who want the dealer to do all of that essentially for free.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#40]
The one time I stopped into Snap Shots in North KC (after being assured it was nothing like the former business that was Denny's Guns), I overheard the tall asshole with the deep voice tell a customer that they don't even accept transfers from Bud's, period. That was all I needed to hear. Walked out and haven't been back.
The LGS scene nowadays relies on the uninitiated first time gun buyer, or the morons that think being able to walk in a store and have the employees know them by name is worth taking it up the ass financially. Screw all that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If your FFL is your gunsmith....have them ship it to your FFL, and everyone is happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like drywall is a drama queen!
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The one time I stopped into Snap Shots in North KC (after being assured it was nothing like the former business that was Denny's Guns), I overheard the tall asshole with the deep voice tell a customer that they don't even accept transfers from Bud's, period. That was all I needed to hear. Walked out and haven't been back.

The LGS scene nowadays relies on the uninitiated first time gun buyer, or the morons that think being able to walk in a store and have the employees know them by name is worth taking it up the ass financially. Screw all that.
View Quote
I believe you're right.  In the overall scheme of things though internet gun purchases are still new.  Give it time and it will change.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone complaining Buds doesn't have overhead has never operated a facility that does high volume sales.  Just because they drop ship sometimes doesn't mean there isn't overhead for the times they don't.  Think of forklifts, computers, warehouse space, training everyone, background checks, etc.  It is probably a lot more expensive than a small LGS with one or two employees and whatever hours of operation they are open.

And there's nothing stopping the LGS guy from going that direction with his business.  There' a place near here that did exactly that and they just had to put an addition onto their store to keep up with online orders and the normal LGS traffic.  They even beat Bud's on some of their prices at the store.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very good reason.  Some things you will only sell to Leo or first responders.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nope.  They will no longer ship to alaska.   Even if I offer to pay extra.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bud's will send a gun to whatever FFL you say.  

Nope.  They will no longer ship to alaska.   Even if I offer to pay extra.

Really now? Has this changed within about a month? Because i bought a rifle from them last month.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Aren't you the guys that added a few extra dollars to a guy's order for no reason, then when he brought it up you said something along the lines of "it's just a few dollars, if you don't like it go elsewhere"?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call out??
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Getting closer to election time, it happens every 4 years. As the old saying goes, you make hay when the sun shines.
View Quote

Just wait a few more months...
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly.
it really didn't seem all that hard, did it?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I just checked my wishlist over there, doesn't look like anything has changed that I can see.
Bud's gets all my money. One of my LGS also doesn't like them.  But, it is about money, my money. You either like getting my business or you don't. I don't care, and I certainly won't support an inflated local economy($75 or more for the same firearm). My latest go to FFL is $20 for a transfer.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top