Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My brother in law is in his early 20s and just got married less than a year ago. They just recently moved into a house in an old neighborhood. They haven't been there a month.

The first week cops show up because he was playing his guitar in the basement. Basement has no windows or doors to outside. I have no idea how you could even hear it unless you were standing beside the house.

He comes home and finds a note on his car and the cops show up again saying someone called on a dog barking complaint. They have two dashunds, they let them outside to go pee and that's it. Always supervised and on leashes. Sorry I don't have a lot of info because I'm getting it second hand.

Some neighbor told them that there is a crotchety old lady living behind them that has ran people off. After I read the note, my first thought was "hmmm, that's why the house was so cheap and for sale."

If it were me I'd probably invest in some cameras. I'd put money on the lady messing with their house or dogs while they were at work or something.

And yes this is barely readable. What would arf do?

Update.

Cops said there is nothing threatening about the letter and wouldn't file a report. Girls dad is a Firefighter for the city and is pissed. Cops also said if they get a call and show up, and the dogs are barking, he will get a fine. I told him to document with video per the noise ordinance on how long the dogs are out in their pen. Don't let them out for more than 30 minutes at a time.

Their nice neighbor and the lady that moved out think its the old guy next door to the right. Would make sense because his car is parked on that side of the house. Old dude probably just went as far as the car and that's it.

Both said he was a dick.

Noise Ordinance pdf

There are aleast 50 houses around you.
Home should be a place of rest & refuge.
There are people around who have small children to
the elderly. & young couples starting families.
Home should be a place to recharge and enjoy
your family.

Thou I love animal's and children. IF they
aren't traind AND deciplined they will miss behave.
It's people who don't know what they're doing
when they get out of control.

They're are Five families on this street who
have continualy allowed their pet's to disturb the
peace, quite and sanity of their neighbor's.
These people were reported to the poliee and
the Human Society.

These people were fined and no longer
live in this neighborhood.

This is your only WARNING!!!

When people put the Right's of pet's over the
sanity of their fellow Neighbor's  Something is WRONG
You brought this ANIMAl home it's your Responsibility
to deal with it OR your neighbor"s ARe going to
deal with you legaly.

Their is NO SAIN Reason why anyone should
have to listen or put up with this.

Enough is Enough!!

You have ONE week!

You can be quite or get out!

You want people to like you and be Niece to you
you be Nieee,
And we'll get along fine.

You be quite, clean this place up and keep
------ -------- or move.
View Quote

http://i.imgur.com/FRGbdzt.jpg
View Quote

That is fucked up...they won't take a report....go talk to the city attorney.  You can also go make a report at the sheriff's department, they like to push it off on city, but its in the county and I doubt they would say no.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
You have no chance to survive make your time.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Go over and politely ask the old guy if he could read the note aloud to you because they don't teach cursive anymore and he looks old enough that he'd know how, his response should be amusing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Really? We couldn't get ours to stop barking at anything and everything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a permit from the city and have an all day party with a live band.  Invite the neighbors including her.  Repeat often.

Put up cams.

Get a Great Pyrenees.  They do not bark unless there is an immediate threat in the yard, otherwise they are very quiet.  This is a documented fact about the breed.  They are also scary as hell to people who do not understand dogs because they are big.  Walk it past the suspected neighbor daily.

Be sure that you are not doing anything to give her ammunition - I can guarantee she is keeping a shit list on everything you do (how fast she thinks you drive - daily, the slightest noise, cleanliness of your property, anything that can be considered against code, etc.).  You may want to consider practicing your guitar someone else, or at least keep the volume down - maybe build a soundroom so that you can defend any of her complaints about noise.

Befriend your neighbors and look for opportunities to provide service.  You stellar reputation against her battiness will prevail.  Do what is necessary so that your credibility puts you above her reproach.

As already stated, file a police report about her note.  Tell police you feel threatened by it and would like an investigation done as to who wrote it.  

Really? We couldn't get ours to stop barking at anything and everything.

And then what happened?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Get some water induced/timed grass killer.  Wait for rain, then enjoy the slow death.  Spell out "fuck the police".
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Be nicee and quite.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Just comply and run the lawn mower from 7:01am to 9:59 pm.
I have a new neighbor who thinks he is 15 again and opens his deck doors and then plays loud 60 & 70' music that can rattle windows 5 houses away.
This starts at 9 am on weekends and daily at 3pm
He sees no problem with this and told me he can make all the noise he wants during the day.
To get my point across to him that he is unreasonable. I start anywhere from 6-10 of my vast chainsaw collection at the same time for tuning purposes.
I think he is getting the message
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It would be on if that was my house.

my plan of attack:

1. Cameras
2. Backyard BBQ's with lovely music like lamb of god playing.
3. Get another dog like a beagle that howls to awesome metal music.
4. and completed with walking around in your tighty whiteys with the curtains open on the side of the house of suspected nosy old woman.

That should cause her to lose her shit good and proper
View Quote

I like this. Lamb of gold will definitely get it done. Especially the song "blacken the cursed sun". The drums build nice and slow, then straight into chaos. It's perfect.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Fucking people.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The old bitch behind me (and to the right) would call the police on me and complain to the neighbors about me the my friend that lives behind me.

She called them because i had weeds behind my garage and it was ruining the view of her roses.
She called them because I was in my garage doing some painting and using some power tools at 11:30am on a sat.
She called them because I walked through my yard to see my friend in his backyard
She called them because I held a birthday party for the niece on a sat afternoon and kids were yelling.
She called them because I was beatings dog in my backyard...I don't own a dog and was just pulling into my drive from leaving work and met the cops at my door.
She called them because I wouldn't let her have any of the flower pots I kept behind my garage and she said they were hers, I just put them there from getting them at the store and had the receipt for them.

Talked to the cops to see what I could do to end and was told there wasn't anything I could do.

I have read the laws and do all that I can to make as much noise and stuff but still be within the law.
I'm thing this spring I will give my cool neighbors beer and will paint the back of my garage facing her house some crazy color and pattern.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Have a super loud noise maker set to a remote trigger or timer. Go to a friends house or hotel for a week. Set the device off a few times when you are not home. When the cops come over, you won't be there and they start to look like idiots. This will be recorded by the local police and can be used in a court of law.

I would just get a good lawyer and sue them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Tell the cunt who wrote that to eat a bag of dicks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Most noise ordnances are only enforced during specific hours, and they also make allowances for things like lawn mowers..

Fuck that guy...I'd make as much noise as I could legally get away with..early morning/late evening lawn mowing every day, that type of stuff..

ETA:  Just read the noise PDF in the OP...as with most it is pretty vaguely written..
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Dogs have to be barking for an hour before there is a violation.  Are the cops going to sit in front of your house waiting for an hour?  Hell no.  Go ahead, write me the ticket and I'll see you in court.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dogs have to be barking for an hour before there is a violation.  Are the cops going to sit in front of your house waiting for an hour?  Hell no.  Go ahead, write me the ticket and I'll see you in court.

View Quote

Beware.... they may have a camera that can record for an hour.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#16]
File an open records act request through the 911 center on who called 911 to your address.  

Find any chicken crap city ordinance they are violating (grass cut/cars in yard, etc) and call it in and demand actio

Gr
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#17]
The cops who said it wasn't a threatening note are liars or idiots. Maybe the aggressive neighbor has some connections.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#18]
So.....
Are the dogs always leashed and supervised....or....out in their pen?

I bet those dogs bark all fucking day long.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Update.

Cops said there is nothing threatening about the letter and wouldn't file a report. Girls dad is a Firefighter for the city and is pissed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Call cops about letter with veiled threats.
This. $5.00 says the cops know who the person is and are tired of their shit.

Pre emptive call to the cops to get on record of harassment.

Update.

Cops said there is nothing threatening about the letter and wouldn't file a report. Girls dad is a Firefighter for the city and is pissed.

Then he should be familiar with the more interesting properties of linseed oil.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

They have two dashunds, they let them outside to go pee and that's it. Always supervised and on leashes.
View Quote
If thats true they have nothing to worry about.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#21]
If its the next door neighbor install a security light aimed through his windows
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Call the latter day saints they are happy to make house calls.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Scorched earth.

Id like to introduce your BIL to diminished chords.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminished_triad

tell him to start a black metal band.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
This, and it won't just be for the ticket.  It will be to take as much of your current and future income as I can.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The cops who said it wasn't a threatening note are liars or idiots. Maybe the aggressive neighbor has some connections.
View Quote

I'm not familiar with Alabama or Utah law and I might be an idiot, however, I'm no liar and the incident as described by the OP definitely doesn't fit the threats statue in my state. It could fit the harassment statue though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dog barking laws vary between states, counties, and even neighboring cities. Do you know what the laws are in the area where the OP's brother lives?

For example, in my area, an owner can be ticketed if a dog barks, unprovoked, for two periods of 5 continuous minutes in a 36 hour span.

For the record... I'm certainly not defending the busybody wackjob described in the OP but I hate to see ignorance on any side of the argument.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Get your BIL into ham radio. A nice 100ft tower would probably get the job done.

Could also start collecting boat horns. Test them out during the day and facing her direction.

Install a shed and fill it with the musical guts from a merry go round. Set it up on a timer to play during the allotted noise ordinance time slot. If he is really handy, make the shed rotate around it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Get the dog de-barked.

That's more tactical anyway.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Knock on her door at 3am, wearing a killer clown costume, make sure to buy up her good stuff at her estate sale.
View Quote

Holy shit, I'm dying here. You and I have to have beers sir!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Paper trail of what? That note? What criminal statue does it violate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Copy to the cops immediately.

What are the police going to do with it?

Paper trail for when, not if, this continues / escalates.

That's not the ranting of a reasonable or stable person.

Paper trail of what? That note? What criminal statue does it violate?

This place cracks me up... Don't invite the man... Call the cops ...

What the hell do yall want the cops to do? Calling the cops is just wasting tax payers money and keeping a proactive cop tied up dealing with childish BS.
This is the reason we need so many cops, to appease childish citizens.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What the hell do yall want the cops to do? Calling the cops is just wasting tax payers money and keeping a proactive cop tied up dealing with childish BS.
View Quote

The same type of call that wastes cop's time that one member says cops shouldn't respond to. Cut those type of calls and we would need 90% fewer cops.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Get the dog de-barked.

That's more tactical anyway.
View Quote

Before or after the urban assault wheelbarrow purchase?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The same type of call that wastes cop's time that one member says cops shouldn't respond to. Cut those type of calls and we would need 90% fewer cops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
Weird I thought most of Arfcom was for less police, never invite da man...
I'm so confused.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yup. Weird I thought most of Arfcom was for less police, never invite da man...
I'm so confused.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Weird I thought most of Arfcom was for less police, never invite da man...
I'm so confused.

Never invite the man into your life, NEVER.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The old bitch behind me (and to the right) would call the police on me and complain to the neighbors about me the my friend that lives behind me.

She called them because i had weeds behind my garage and it was ruining the view of her roses.
She called them because I was in my garage doing some painting and using some power tools at 11:30am on a sat.
She called them because I walked through my yard to see my friend in his backyard
She called them because I held a birthday party for the niece on a sat afternoon and kids were yelling.
She called them because I was beatings dog in my backyard...I don't own a dog and was just pulling into my drive from leaving work and met the cops at my door.
She called them because I wouldn't let her have any of the flower pots I kept behind my garage and she said they were hers, I just put them there from getting them at the store and had the receipt for them.

Talked to the cops to see what I could do to end and was told there wasn't anything I could do.

I have read the laws and do all that I can to make as much noise and stuff but still be within the law.
I'm thing this spring I will give my cool neighbors beer and will paint the back of my garage facing her house some crazy color and pattern.
View Quote

dazzle camouflage is your answer
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:09:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You have no chance to survive make your time.
View Quote

Move zig for great justice!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Post gangbang ad on Craigslist with neighbors address... Setup cameras and prepare yourself.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Can you type out what that letter says? I can't read it for shit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
sue her for harassment?

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not in AL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not familiar with Alabama or Utah law and I might be an idiot, however, I'm no liar and the incident as described by the OP definitely doesn't fit the threats statue in my state. It could fit the harassment statue though.

Not in AL.

Yeah, it'd be a stretch here too unless the behavior was constant for quite sometime.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:55:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Sounds like someone needs a brown paper bag full of dog shit lit on fire on their porch

Id tell old lady game on.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:26:57 AM EDT
[#44]

OP - tell your brother in law to stop being an a**hole, and put muzzles on his yapping dogs or move out to the country (I'm tired of their sh*t and want to hear my crickets)

Signed,

- The neighbor next door
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:39:18 AM EDT
[#45]
You need Intel.  Contact previous owner and ask who the neighborhood asshole is.

Find out what pushes their buttons.

Aim cameras directly their direction.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:55:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I agree with whoever wrote the note.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:21:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Get your BIL into ham radio. A nice 100ft tower would probably get the job done.

Could also start collecting boat horns. Test them out during the day and facing her direction.

Install a shed and fill it with the musical guts from a merry go round. Set it up on a timer to play during the allotted noise ordinance time slot. If he is really handy, make the shed rotate around it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:47:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This, and it won't just be for the ticket.  It will be to take as much of your current and future income as I can.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:04:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top