Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if Mr. Restaurant Owner has been paying payroll taxes, social security, and Obamacare for each and every one of his employees ?

He needs to be audited, and who really knows how many of his illegal alien employees ran off;  30, 40....?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Then they would be in violation of federal anti-discrimination laws and subject to lawsuits. If a legal nonimmigrant (such as a F1 with CPT or OPT or an H1B or any number of other aliens authorized to work who are not US citizens or green card holders) who is authorized employment is turned down for employment by that employer because "they hire citizens or legal green card holders only" they can be in for legal trouble and fines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's often very difficult for a business owner to know if he is hiring an illegal. Business owners usually spend every last waking moment on making their business successful without becoming a trained investigator in false documents for every transient employee who comes through the door.  
They are told to hire legals, they make sure the paperwork is what it should be, then they are told they should be fined for hiring people with the(what seems to be) right paperwork.
I seriously doubt restaurant owners are finding employees by picking them up in front of Home Depot in a crew cab pickup truck.

Is a restaurant owner supposed to know if they are illegal based on how bad their english is?
Nonsense; they know.

ETA: I have family in the restaurant business and they hire citizens or legal green card holders only, because that's who they want working for them rather than illegals.
Then they would be in violation of federal anti-discrimination laws and subject to lawsuits. If a legal nonimmigrant (such as a F1 with CPT or OPT or an H1B or any number of other aliens authorized to work who are not US citizens or green card holders) who is authorized employment is turned down for employment by that employer because "they hire citizens or legal green card holders only" they can be in for legal trouble and fines.
The point is that despite some  misdirecting bullshit to the contrary; my sister's restaurant and my ex brother in law's restaurant, only hire employees who are in this country legally and who are legally entitled to work here.

I've never hired an illegal alien either, and even my housekeeper is here legally and lawfully entitled to work.

I'm tired of the deceptive bullshit that asserts its impossible to hire legal workers rather than illegal aliens.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yep, if you started tossing HR employees or the owners into prison for hiring illegals, you'd see it drop 99% overnight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

E-Verify, Its not that hard.
Yep, if you started tossing HR employees or the owners into prison for hiring illegals, you'd see it drop 99% overnight.
No doubt about it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Need to be cheered up....read those comments. I don't think the reporter who wrote that article expected those comments!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Handy trick if you suspect an illegal is trying to furnish a forged SSN, ask them what state they were born or naturalized in.  If the SSN starts with a 1 and they say Arizona 5 and New York, I got news for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a crappy report. Based on the information in the article it sounds like ICE Worksite Enforcement Unit served a notice to inspect the business' I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification forms (a routine procedure) to verify that the employer is in compliance with federal law regarding the employment of workers. The business owner may or may not be correct in that he is in compliance with those federal laws. As long as the employer properly completed the I-9 forms as required by law, he is in compliance with the law. However, that may not be enough to prevent illegal or out of status aliens from engaging in unauthorized employment by the very fact that congress left huge gaping loopholes in the I-9 process that allows employers to be in compliance and still hire unauthorized/illegal workers. Many illegal or unauthorized aliens purchase counterfeit social security cards and get state issued Driver's licenses or state issued ID cards which, together allow and illegal or unauthorized alien to complete the I-9 form. Although the alien commits perjury on the I-9 form when he completes it.

The fact that so many employees fled before the I-9 form inspection (not even a raid was conducted) indicates that they are either illegal or out of status or legal aliens not authorized to work. The I-9 inspection allows ICE/HSI agents to inspect the I-9 forms for violations by the employer (such as improperly completing the form or failing to complete tthe important parts of the form) or to verify the status claimed by the employee when he/she completed the I-9 form.

The news report was ridiculous. The provided link was only a link to a letter from the employer. I was expecting a link to a copy of the ICE/HSI notice letter. In any event, these ICE/HSI I-9 form inspections are not unusual or the sign of any increased enforcement. They are routine and conducted on a regular basis by an ICE/HSI unit that does nothing but investigate employers and businesses.
Handy trick if you suspect an illegal is trying to furnish a forged SSN, ask them what state they were born or naturalized in.  If the SSN starts with a 1 and they say Arizona 5 and New York, I got news for you.
Employers are not responsible nor required by federal law to be investigators or fraudulent document experts. You're going to an area that the employer is not required to enter and possibly may be prohibited from entering. Such as the fact that employers are prohibiting from demanding an employee show them their Resident Alien (DHS form I-551) card if the alien indicates on the I-9 form that he is a Resident Alien with an I-5551 card (co-called green card). The employee has the right to produce whatever document he wants to provide, as long as those documents satisfy the I-9 form required documents list. I can identify a counterfeit social security card if it was issued within the last 30 years. Earlier cards are a lot more difficult to identify as they lacked security features.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there some way we can beef up the I-9 /e-verify stuff to make it harder to cheat on? 

I.E. SOME percentage of people hiring illegals saw fake documents and thought they were OK.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's  not terrorizing when law enforcement is looking for law breakers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good. Maybe they Self-Deported, and screw the owner for employing illegals.
View Quote
exactly
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Fuck him foe hiring them in the first place!

(Didn't read, title says enough)
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good. Now go after the owner for employing them.
View Quote
If you went after every restaurant that had illegals working there you'd close down 80% of all restaurants (from the roach coach to the high end swanky places).
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Guilty of employing them. Yes. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The point is that despite some  misdirecting bullshit to the contrary; my sister's restaurant and my ex brother in law's restaurant, only hire employees who are in this country legally and who are legally entitled to work here.

I've never hired an illegal alien either, and even my housekeeper is here legally and lawfully entitled to work.

I'm tired of the deceptive bullshit that asserts its impossible to hire legal workers rather than illegal aliens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's often very difficult for a business owner to know if he is hiring an illegal. Business owners usually spend every last waking moment on making their business successful without becoming a trained investigator in false documents for every transient employee who comes through the door.  
They are told to hire legals, they make sure the paperwork is what it should be, then they are told they should be fined for hiring people with the(what seems to be) right paperwork.
I seriously doubt restaurant owners are finding employees by picking them up in front of Home Depot in a crew cab pickup truck.

Is a restaurant owner supposed to know if they are illegal based on how bad their english is?
Nonsense; they know.

ETA: I have family in the restaurant business and they hire citizens or legal green card holders only, because that's who they want working for them rather than illegals.

Nothing "misdirecting" at all about anything that I wrote in response to your statement ...."I have family in the restaurant business and they hire citizens or legal green card holders only...."  And I did not write anywhere that it is impossible for employers to hire legal workers (it is just very easy under federal law for illegal/unauthorized aliens to get employment regardless whether or not the employer is aware that the alien may not be eligible to work). You came up with that BS all by your self. I just made the factual statement refuting your claim that employers can legally hire ONLY citizens or legal green card holders. That would be discrimination against non-immigrant aliens who are legally authorized to work.

Check this link:

Link to CIS I-9 form info.

Go to page 35 regarding Unlawful Discrimination and Penalties for Prohibited Practices.

"Citizenship or immigration status discrimination;" This means that en employer can't discriminate between an immigrant (Resident Alien aka green card holder) and a  nonimmigrant" (F1 student with CPT/OPT or H1B nonimmigrant)

"Requesting that individuals present a particular document, such as a “Green Card,” to establish identity and/or employment authorization;"  This means that an employer can't demand to see the alien's Resident Alien (I-551 aka green card) card or any other document unless the alien voluntarily presents it himself.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Winning!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Arrest the owner.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Just a coincidence, I'm sure, but one of the places that I do business with lost 2 Hispanic workers since the election. I know at least one of them went back to Mexico. And he said he may never come back. Now there are two new employees there, both white guys that were down-sized from their former jobs. Winning!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#17]
30+ illegals? I feel a restaurant review coming

Heck, pretty sure I ate there before too and was not impressed
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top