Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep we lost the helicopter in Fena Lake, the Navy Prowler in the Ocean, B1 caught on fire on the ground, another B1 made an emergency landing- pilot bailed....aircraft rolled into the responding fire trucks...then the B2 crash....now a B-52 crash.......

We're getting our asses handed to us on Guam. 2 Broken B-ones and a burnt (B2) Spirit....and now this.

Somebody raise the white flag.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Obviously, they need someone of your caliber with your skillz to pilot such a contraption... your victory dance may be short-lived.
Matt

don't you say that.... don't you EVER say that!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously, they need someone of your caliber with your skillz to pilot such a contraption... your victory dance may be short-lived.
Matt

Why not? I already told you I would see you at Creech!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

Why not?!?  I thought the advantage of the heavies was you could get up, go to the bathroom, stretch your legs.... just think... now you'll be able to raid the geedunk machine, too...  
Matt
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

Why not? I already told you I would see you at Creech!

Hey, if the Army can stick Armor guys in an 8-wheeled truck, simply on merit of there being a big gun on top....

Fighter & transport pilots from other services being detailed to drive giant armed RC toys... Kind of fits...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

Why not?!?  I thought the advantage of the heavies was you could get up, go to the bathroom, stretch your legs.... just think... now you'll be able to raid the geedunk machine, too...  
Matt

ya, but at least in a REAL airplane you get to log flight hours that count for something.  THAT'S the ultimate bad deal in UAVs
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope the crew is ok.  I used to work B-52's at Barksdale so I hope some info turns up about what squadron & tail number it was. N_T, is that something you would be able to find out?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I hope the crew is ok.  I used to work B-52's at Barksdale so I hope some info turns up about what squadron & tail number it was. N_T, is that something you would be able to find out?

It's not something he should discuss if he can find it out... wait for the press releases.  Otherwise, we risk the family members finding out from sources other than the commanding officer/designated representative or chaplain... let the system work.
Matt
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry if I came across as asking it like that.  I was thinking more along the lines of, when/if the info is released as open knowledge within the Air Force, CNN and MSNBC aren't likely to post an update with those details which would be boring to 99.9% of their audience.  So it might be general and unrestricted knowledge to anyone still in that community, but not widely reported by regular news outlets.

Edit:  what I'm getting at, is normally once the press releases come, I don't see them, I see  the parts of them that the MSM decides is relevant to the story they want to write, and details such as squadron and tail number info are usually dismissed as unimportant to their story.  All I meant to ask was, once the info is freely released in general, I hope someone includes it in this thread.  I mentioned N_T by name because he seemed like one of the people already involved in this thread, likely to have easy access to the info once it is released. Sorry again if it seemed like I was asking for something improper.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sorry if I came across as asking it like that.  I was thinking more along the lines of, when/if the info is released as open knowledge within the Air Force, CNN and MSNBC aren't likely to post an update with those details which would be boring to 99.9% of their audience.  So it might be general and unrestricted knowledge to anyone still in that community, but not widely reported by regular news outlets

They'll probably report it... they did with the B-2 crash.
Matt
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sorry if I came across as asking it like that.  I was thinking more along the lines of, when/if the info is released as open knowledge within the Air Force, CNN and MSNBC aren't likely to post an update with those details which would be boring to 99.9% of their audience.  So it might be general and unrestricted knowledge to anyone still in that community, but not widely reported by regular news outlets

I understood the way you intended.  I think most people would.

David
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not something he should discuss if he can find it out... wait for the press releases.  Otherwise, we risk the family members finding out from sources other than the commanding officer/designated representative or chaplain... let the system work.
Matt

+1

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Really sucks about that B52, hope everyone got out OK.

So, Darkstar.  When one of those UAV's crash does it flash "GAME OVER" across the screen in big red letters and give you a score?  Then let you enter your three initials for the high score board?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Edit:  what I'm getting at, is normally once the press releases come, I don't see them, I see  the parts of them that the MSM decides is relevant to the story they want to write, and details such as squadron and tail number info are usually dismissed as unimportant to their story.  All I meant to ask was, once the info is freely released in general, I hope someone includes it in this thread.  I mentioned N_T by name because he seemed like one of the people already involved in this thread, likely to have easy access to the info once it is released. Sorry again if it seemed like I was asking for something improper.

I wasn't trying to be a dick... your question is very common, and it is posed to us on a regular basis when there is a crash.  I was just trying to provide the reason we are so tight-lipped about it.  
Matt
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
something might be up.

No.

At 3 crashes, get suspicious.

of what?  

1 is chance, 2 is coincidence, 3 is enemy action

Or something like that
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

Matt

ya, but at least in a REAL airplane you get to log flight hours that count for something.  THAT'S the ultimate bad deal in UAVs

What isn't real about a UAV?  Sure, you log hours.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:21:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't trying to be a dick... your question is very common, and it is posed to us on a regular basis when there is a crash.  I was just trying to provide the reason we are so tight-lipped about it.  
Matt

I actually don't have access to any more information than everyone else-- no need for me to know it.  It's not classified, but it is sensitive.

As for predators-- you don't log flight hours when you "fly" them like you would a regular airplane.  It's special UAV time or some shit, which means exactly dick to the FAA if you ever try to get a job with the airlines.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Not looking real hopeful for the crew.

David
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

I actually don't have access to any more information than everyone else-- no need for me to know it.  It's not classified, but it is sensitive.

As for predators-- you don't log flight hours when you "fly" them like you would a regular airplane.  It's special UAV time or some shit, which means exactly dick to the FAA if you ever try to get a job with the airlines.

word to the wise... get your commercial/instrument/multi-engine equivalency ratings ASAP and then take the test for the ATP when you get enough experience... that way, when you get transitioned to UAV's you're not scrambling to get it all done within a year while you're PCS'ing.
Matt
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

word to the wise... get your commercial/instrument/multi-engine equivalency ratings ASAP and then take the test for the ATP when you get enough experience... that way, when you get transitioned to UAV's you're not scrambling to get it all done within a year while you're PCS'ing.
Matt

already got the commercial/multi/instrument (and a BE400/MU300 type, and a B707 type soon).
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Breaking, from CNN's website:
"The bodies of two crew members from a B-52 that crashed off Guam have been found, the Air Force says. Four others remain missing"
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#26]

OSU Grad Missing After B-52 Crash Near Guam
Monday,  July 21, 2008 12:13 PM
Video
Print Story
E-mail Story
COLUMBUS, Ohio — An Ohio State University graduate is one of six people who was onboard an Air Force B-52 when it crashed off the island of Guam Monday morning.

The B-52 bomber was en route to conduct a flyover at the Liberation Day parade when it crashed about 30 miles northwest of Apra Harbor at 9:45 a.m., the Air Force said.

At least two people from the bomber's six-man crew were recovered from the waters, but their conditions were not immediately available, the Coast Guard said.

Six vessels, three helicopters, two F-15 fighter jets and a B-52 bomber were involved in the search, which had covered about 70 square miles of ocean, said Coast Guard spokeswoman Lt. Elizabeth Buendia.

Clarissa Clark told 10TV News that her brother, Col. George Martin, a graduate of East High School and OSU Medical School, was on the plane, 10TV's Patrick Bell reported.

Martin has been a military doctor for more than 25 years and is second-in-command of the medical unit in Guam, Clark said.

Martin also works as an astronaut physician for NASA.

The Air Force said a board of officers will investigate the crash.

The accident is the second for the Air Force this year on Guam, a U.S. territory 3,700 miles southwest of Hawaii.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#27]
God speed BUFF crew.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

OSU Grad Missing After B-52 Crash Near Guam
Monday,  July 21, 2008 12:13 PM
Video
Print Story
E-mail Story
COLUMBUS, Ohio — An Ohio State University graduate is one of six people who was onboard an Air Force B-52 when it crashed off the island of Guam Monday morning.

The B-52 bomber was en route to conduct a flyover at the Liberation Day parade when it crashed about 30 miles northwest of Apra Harbor at 9:45 a.m., the Air Force said.

At least two people from the bomber's six-man crew were recovered from the waters, but their conditions were not immediately available, the Coast Guard said.

Six vessels, three helicopters, two F-15 fighter jets and a B-52 bomber were involved in the search, which had covered about 70 square miles of ocean, said Coast Guard spokeswoman Lt. Elizabeth Buendia.

Clarissa Clark told 10TV News that her brother, Col. George Martin, a graduate of East High School and OSU Medical School, was on the plane, 10TV's Patrick Bell reported.

Martin has been a military doctor for more than 25 years and is second-in-command of the medical unit in Guam, Clark said.

Martin also works as an astronaut physician for NASA.

The Air Force said a board of officers will investigate the crash.

The accident is the second for the Air Force this year on Guam, a U.S. territory 3,700 miles southwest of Hawaii.

AF policy is to withhold the identity of any mishap victim until no longer than 24 hours after notification of next of kin.  Any speculation or naming beforehand can be detrimental to the investigation, and can cause some serious anguish to people's families.

Imagine how your family would feel if there was an aircraft mishap at your squadron, and you are unable to get in touch with your family for whatever reason.  One of your "buddies" at the squadron tells the press that they know you were on that airplane, and all of a sudden it's all over the news that you're dead, and your family sees that.

Moral of the story-- keep your fucking mouth shut about a mishap until the Air Force officially releases the info (not directed at Chokey).
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:53:04 AM EDT
[#29]

No Survivors Found Following B-52 Crash Off Guam

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,387923,00.html

HONOLULU —  The U.S. Air Force continued to hold out hope of finding survivors Tuesday in the crash of a B-52 bomber off Guam, but a brigadier general said there was no evidence that any of the airmen were alive.

Two bodies from the six-member crew were found after the crash Monday morning. An earlier U.S. Coast Guard report said three bodies were recovered, but spokesman Lt. John Titchen later said that was in error. No names of the plane's crew had been released.

"We've seen fuel in the water, oil slicks, some pieces of what look like a plane. This is right within the area where we had planned our searches," Titchen said. "We are now planning our searches to include wind and water current, any kind of drift that may happen to someone in the water."

The unarmed Air Force bomber had been making a swing around the island from U.S. Andersen Air Force Base for a celebratory fly-over of another part of the island as part of Guam Liberation Day celebrations. The holiday marks the arrival of the U.S. military to retake the island from Japan in 1944.

An extensive military and civilian search continued to scour vast expanses of ocean on Tuesday for any sign of the remaining crew members, said the 36th Wing Commander, Brig. Gen. Douglas Owens.

"We recognize, however, that the longer this search continues the less likelihood there is that we'll find survivors," Owens said a day after the crash 50 kilometers (30 miles) northwest of Guam's Apra Harbor.

Three vessels including a destroyer, three helicopters, two F-15 fighter jets and a Navy P-3 Orion aircraft based in Japan were involved in the search, which covered roughly 3,000 square miles of the Pacific, Titchen said.

"We've basically saturated that area," said Titchen, who called search conditions "ideal," with light winds, calm seas and good visibility. "We're optimistic our search area is concentrated on the right area right now," he said.

The Air Force will investigate the accident. The two crew members were wearing their life vests when their bodies were recovered.

"This is a challenging operation when we lose people we work with on a day-to-day basis, so we're doing the best that we can to cover that area as quickly as we can," Titchen said.

The accident is the second for the Air Force this year on Guam, a U.S. territory 3,700 miles southwest of Hawaii...

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:13:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Too low and/or too fast equals no safe ejection window.

Thank a soldier or airmen today and pay for their meal if you see them in a resturant.

B
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:49:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:15:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Delta Aquarid meteor shower:

Large meteors seen over New Zealand and Israel:

www.stuff.co.nz/4613966a10.html
www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3565825,00.html

Could one have taken down the B-52?

The reason I mention it....shortly after the B-2 crashed awhile ago.....a meteor exploded into a big green flash as it hit the ground about ten miles or so from the B-2 crash site. (that could have been remnants of the satellite we shot in space tho...)

Wouldn't that be crazy......Meteors.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:27:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Search effort continues following B-52 crash

www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123107524

7/22/2008 - ANDERSEN AIR FORCE BASE, Guam (AFNS) -- A joint-agency search continues for missing crew members following the crash July 21 of a B-52H Stratofortress bomber 25 miles off the northwest coast of Guam.

The bodies of two of the six Airmen on board the aircraft have been recovered. Identities of the crew members are being withheld pending family notification.

On-scene in a 900-square mile search area are crews with two U.S. Coast Guard vessels and the USS John McCain, an Arleigh Burke class destroyer. Additionally, Navy MH-60S Knighthawk helicopters from Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 25 and U.S. Air Force F-15E Strike Eagles from the 389th Expeditionary Fighter Squadron joined a Navy P-3 Orion from Kadena Air Base in Japan. Guam police and fire department rescue units also joined the search.

"The U.S. Coast Guard-led search effort has been extensive and the joint military and civilian team is thoroughly scouring the area in the search for survivors," said Brig. Gen. Douglas Owens, commander of the 36th Wing here.

"Coast Guard assets were on scene within 45 minutes of the accident, and the teamwork we've had with them, the Navy and other local and federal agencies has been tremendous," General Owens said.

"We recognize, however, that the longer this search continues the less likelihood there is that we'll find survivors. Although we continue to hold out hope, we've had no encouraging indicators that our Airmen survived this crash,'' he said.

"Our hearts and prayers go out to all the family members and friends of our missing aircrew as we continue our search and rescue efforts."

The aircraft was reported missing at approximately 9:45 a.m. Monday. The bomber was flying a training mission and was scheduled to perform a flyover celebrating Guam's Liberation Day. There were no weapons or munitions aboard the aircraft. The B-52 was deployed here from Barksdale AFB, La., as part of the DOD's continuous bomber presence mission in the Pacific.

A board of officers is investigating the accident. More information will be released as it becomes available.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

is that just Guam, because AF wide we've lost (this is off of the top of my head, so may not be entirely accurate)  2 F-15*s, 2 F-16's**, 2 T-6's, 2 T-38's ****, a T-1, a B-2, a C-130, and now a B-52.  the *'s represent crew members killed.  Again, this is just off the top of my head, and there may be more that I am forgetting and my list may not be entirely accurate either

T-1?   We lost a T-1?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
something might be up.

No.

At 3 crashes, get suspicious.

of what?  

1 is chance, 2 is coincidence, 3 is enemy action

Or something like that

When my dad was in the AF in the late 50's in Valdosta, Moody AFB experienced a string of some epic proportion, something like 20 A/c lost over a short period.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:17:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

is that just Guam, because AF wide we've lost (this is off of the top of my head, so may not be entirely accurate)  2 F-15*s, 2 F-16's**, 2 T-6's, 2 T-38's ****, a T-1, a B-2, a C-130, and now a B-52.  the *'s represent crew members killed.  Again, this is just off the top of my head, and there may be more that I am forgetting and my list may not be entirely accurate either

T-1?   We lost a T-1?

Landed short of the runway.  Pilots were OK.  Add another T-6 class A to that list as well.
Godspeed to the BUFF crew.   This one hits close to home.....again......
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Still nothing despite "ideal" search conditions.  

David
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Must be either:

1. Dwende
2. Taotaomona
3. Brown Tree Snake
4. Coconut Crab

Actually, Guam is just a strange place and also one of the tips of the Dragon's Triangle. A number of things could have happened to that B52. RIP to the fatalities and I hope that if there are Survivors, that they are found soon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Search has been abandoned and the 4 missing crew presumed dead.

David
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Delta Aquarid meteor shower:

Large meteors seen over New Zealand and Israel:

www.stuff.co.nz/4613966a10.html
www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3565825,00.html

Could one have taken down the B-52?

The reason I mention it....shortly after the B-2 crashed awhile ago.....a meteor exploded into a big green flash as it hit the ground about ten miles or so from the B-2 crash site. (that could have been remnants of the satellite we shot in space tho...)

Wouldn't that be crazy......Meteors.

Oh sweet merciful christ! Our resident bomber expert from Guam is back at it...

Here's holding hope for the crew...

ETA -

GodSpeed...

U.S. says all six aboard B-52 in Guam crash dead
By Kate Holton and Mark Potter
MANILA (Reuters) - All six crew members aboard a U.S. B-52 bomber that crashed into the Pacific Ocean off Guam earlier this week are dead, the U.S. Air Force said on Wednesday.

The plane crashed on Monday, while on its way to participate in a flyover to mark a Liberation Day parade in Guam, a U.S. territory.

The bomber, which had no weapons on board, crashed about 15 minutes before the parade was due to begin.

The bodies of two of the crew have been recovered and search teams have now shifted their focus from rescue operations to recovery of the other bodies, the Air Force said in a statement seen in Manila.

There was no immediate word on the cause of the crash. The Air Force said a board of officers was investigating.

Guam, which has been under U.S. control since 1898, marks July 21 as the anniversary of its 1944 liberation from Japanese forces in World War Two.

(Reporting by Raju Gopalakrishnan; Editing by Alex Richardson)
theusdaily.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=461783&type=home
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Officials name downed B-52 aircrew members

www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123107834

7/23/2008 - BARKSDALE AIR FORCE BASE, La. (AFPN) -- Air Force officials have released the names of the Barksdale crew members of the B-52 that crashed July 21 off Guam's northwest coast.  Five of the six crew members were stationed here.

They are Maj. Christopher M. Cooper, 33, aircraft commander; Maj. Brent D. Williams, 37, navigator; Capt. Michael K. Dodson, 31, co-pilot; 1st Lt. Joshua D. Shepherd, 26, navigator; and 1st Lt. Robert D Gerren, 32, electronic warfare officer.

The sixth crew member was Col. George Martin, flight surgeon and deputy commander of 36th Medical Group at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam.

The Barksdale Airmen were deployed to Guam with the 20th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron as part of DOD's continuous bomber presence mission in the Pacific.

"Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the families of these Airmen," said Col. Robert Wheeler, 2d Bomb Wing commander. "We appreciate the military and civilian organizations who are continuing recovery efforts to bring our Airmen home."

A board of officers is investigating the accident.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Talked to Dad last night. He flew with the radar-nav back in the day.  Good guy with a large family apparently.

David
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Talked to Dad last night. He flew with the radar-nav back in the day.  Good guy with a large family apparently.

David

My Grandpa called and told me that the Maj. and I were distant cousins.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top