Link Posted: 10/8/2011 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You're not SteyrAUG, are you

No. Was SteyrAug homeless?

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What was your parent's financial situation?

What socioeconomic group would you say you belonged to growing up?

I was raised in a middle class neighborhood in a lower-middle class family and I'm a white man.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever thought about writing a book?

I'd buy it, as long as it was honestly told.

––Eight_Ring

I've thought about filling a notebook with my time on the street for my kids.

If you ever decide to bang out a draft drop me an IM.

You just tell the story the same way you'd tell it to the guy next to you killing time on a streetcorner.

Don't get into explanations of all the complicated "Why's", just drop it straight into gear:

"One morning/day/night I said yeah fuck this and walked out the front door/back door/climbed out my window, got on my bike, and went off to see the elephant.

My first night living on the street...

Good luck.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#5]
is it ok to eat fish, because they dont have any feelings?

I don't know if I agree with fish not having feelings. I don't have a problem eating any wild caught/killed food.

I don't like any of the commercial ways that meat is produced but it's cheap so I buy it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a very interesting thread.  Thanks for posting it.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you give money to the homeless?

Disclaimer:
I never have and never will. I donate to the transition house once in a while...
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yep. I don't care for most of the "Ask a ____ guy anything" topics, but this one has been pretty cool so far

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Ever feel the tug to say "fuck it" and go back to it?

We've got some extended family that hit bottom, come home, get straight, get bored, and hit the skids again.  Wonder if that's a common issue.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How often did you shower?  How did that work?  Did you smell much?

What did you do all day for all those years?  And don't say "try to survive".

Given what you know now, would you have made the same choices?

There were really two different parts of my "homelessness".

Part one- where I wasn't aware of the programs available to me

Part two- where I used every service available.

There are showering facilities in some of the soup kitchens. The months that I'd spend squatting I'd

shower pretty much I wanted at a facility that was open to people up to the age of 20 i think.

I was nowhere near trying to survive. If I was staying in a squat, I'd wake up probably about 10am, walk to the nearest business with a bathroom and take a dump, make sure I was half way presentable, catch a bus to a mall or something, walk around, associate with people I knew, wait for the youth soup kitchen to open, hang out there are eat. Most places are open at least 5 days a week. One big meal and a piece of fruit is all you really need. In my area, the homeless live great. They are no where near starving. I never give money to the beggars next to the cars. They can make more doing that than working a real job.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do you talk to your parents today?

Yes. We get along good.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did you ever dive into a dumpster?

What do you do for a living now?

I never was hungry enough to dumpster dive. If you go at the right time, there are gas stations that throw out doughnuts that are just a day old. They'd be good to grab.

OPSEC on the last question.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can you describe the process/series of events of pulling yourself up out of the gutter?  What was that first step job and how did you make it lead to the next?

I worked a lot of fast food jobs on the street, but they never paid good enough to pay for a place.

I'd say the turning point was a certain youth organization putting me up in an apartment for free for a couple months, then me collecting rent from other people.

That time in my life I had a good place to stay, and $400 a month on top of that, plus my job that payed $10.50 an hour. That was a restaurant exhaust ventilation cleaning company.

I got my drivers license for that job, and always looked for jobs that payed more, that I could transition into. I was never satisfied with my income. I was always looking for better pay, no matter what the job was.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Did you carry any weapons for personal protection while you were homeless? Did others?

Very interesting topic btw.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

lol thanks

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Disclaimer:
I never have and never will. I donate to the transition house once in a while...

No. They will only buy drugs or alcohol with it, 90% of the time.

Like I said, if there is a soup kitchen anywhere near you, homeless people are not hungry. ever. it's a lie.

They won't even take your big mac half the time. They want drugs or alcohol.

When i'd get money, I'd buy $2 a pack marlboros or go to taco bell. mmmm

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. I don't care for most of the "Ask a ____ guy anything" topics, but this one has been pretty cool so far  

Ask the guy who superimposed the Freemasonry symbol over the Marine Corps emblem anything?
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disclaimer:

Like I said, if there is a soup kitchen anywhere near you, homeless people are not hungry. ever. it's a lie.

A $2 dollar pack of Marlboros? What year(s) were you on the street?
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  He actually posted a story of his early life, including homelessness, just days before he was banned.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:14:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ever feel the tug to say "fuck it" and go back to it?

We've got some extended family that hit bottom, come home, get straight, get bored, and hit the skids again.  Wonder if that's a common issue.

It's been 15 years since I've been on the street.

It's always an option for me. Not the kids and wife though.

Life on the street is exciting, but dangerous. The people you're hanging with are mentally ill, abused, and addicts.

And by hanging with I mean eating with at the soup kitchens, sleeping next to at the salvation army.

In the winter you need to be inside for the most part, in the summer you can sleep almost anywhere.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did you carry any weapons for personal protection while you were homeless? Did others?

Very interesting topic btw.

lol, I always had a pair of brass nuckles in my back pockets. that's not why I have one for my avatar though.

I always had multiple knives or pepper spray too.

As far as others carrying weapons, just like people who live in houses, there are people who don't own any weapons,

but it's the dangerous people that usually do. If I was staying somewhere where I'd get searched, I'd stash my weapons

somewhere nearby.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disclaimer:

A $2 dollar pack of Marlboros? What year(s) were you on the street?

It was in the mid 90s.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  He actually posted a story of his early life, including homelessness, just days before he was banned.

I read that he had a pretty nice class 3 collection. I can assure you, I do not.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ever meet Ratso?

I don't know what/who you're talking about.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#26]
If you think about politics, what part of the political spectrum are you now?  Liberal, libertarian, conservative?
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Have you ever committed a crime while homeless that is particularly a "homeless" stereotype in any way?

Have you ever seen a dead homeless guy during your travels?

Pick up any neat skills that you still use?
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Ever unfairly treated by the police?
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure that you're thinking of SteyrAug?

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#30]
What did you do with all of your free time?
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Hmm,...

Public parks, or and libraries for sleeping or water?  

I had some other questions but I forgot what I was thinking about- it was more along the lines of keeping warm.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Are we talking months or years?

Did you ever call any relatives and ask for money,etc?

Glad you are now stable,congrats!
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Whatever happened to LouisianaCarry?

Has he shifted his activities fully to other places on the net?
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Don't quote me on this, but I think he said something about gettin a sizeable contract that was gonna keep him busy for awhile.

OP, nice to hear a story that turned out so well for you. You really should think about writing it down. If only for your children when they grow up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#35]
I was so hungry once that I ate_________________!
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you think about politics, what part of the political spectrum are you now?  Liberal, libertarian, conservative?

Conservative-libertarian

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Have you ever committed a crime while homeless that is particularly a "homeless" stereotype in any way?

Have you ever seen a dead homeless guy during your travels?

Pick up any neat skills that you still use?

I'm not sure what you mean.

I never saw anyone who was dead that I know of.

I learned how to bleed the beast.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ever unfairly treated by the police?

Yes. I've been harassed, probably due to my age more than anything.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What did you do with all of your free time?

It's hard to say. I was hanging out with other "homeless" teens. Some girls, some dudes.

On the streets is where I really started exploring and even sleeping in abandoned buildings.

I spent time at malls, walking around, macking on chicks, the normal stuff a stupid teenager does.

I always had an unlimited use bus pass, so sometimes when I didn't have a place for the night I'd

catch the bus that ran the longest route and the latest running route too.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hmm,...

I had some other questions but I forgot what I was thinking about- it was more along the lines of keeping warm.

Both of them.

If you have an unlimited bus pass, you can ride a bus almost 24/7 in big cities. But for warmth, I'd catch a bus, go to one mall, catch another bus, go to another mall.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The weight of the shit in his pockets has finally reached critical mass.  He can no longer crawl to the computer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#42]
How much did you make a day panhandling?
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever meet Ratso?

I don't know what/who you're talking about.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Are we talking months or years?

Did you ever call any relatives and ask for money,etc?

Glad you are now stable,congrats!

Almost 2 years. It was probably 4 solid months of sleeping in abandoned buildings,

and on busses, in movie theaters, really any warm place you can find in a big city.

Thanks. I'm not the type to not be, I knew it was just a phase.

I've actually run into some of the people I used to associate with on the street.

Man do they look rough.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have no idear.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm,...

Both of them.

If you have an unlimited bus pass, you can ride a bus almost 24/7 in big cities. But for warmth, I'd catch a bus, go to one mall, catch another bus, go to another mall.

Thank you.

I just want to ask more about winter and the times when it was cold, and if you werent in a big city during that time-

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#47]
this is by far one of the most interesting threads on ARFCOM ive read in a while.

thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I was so hungry once that I ate_________________!

LOL. My first few days on the street I didn't eat anything, until this crackhead (who tought me quite a bit about street life. I could talk for an hour about the things I saw while with him.) who was sleeping on a park bench next to me showed me where to go for food. I found out about under 18 services when I was walking around downtown in the middle of the night and a car pulled up and gave me a piece of paper telling me about them. that was another turning point.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idear.

Sorry, that was more an open question to the wider crowd here - he started a thread very similar to this a few years back, and occasionally referenced his homeless past.  Your post just made me realize I hadn't seen him post in a long time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Great thread, thanks for sharing it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top