BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If I was reading that, I'd think that it means that the Secretary at the time, says that shotguns (all shotguns) are particularly suitable for sporting purposes, not that each secretary down the line gets to make individual micro decisions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

26 U.S.C. § 5845(f): The term “destructive device” means .. any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes;

If I was reading that, I'd think that it means that the Secretary at the time, says that shotguns (all shotguns) are particularly suitable for sporting purposes, not that each secretary down the line gets to make individual micro decisions.

It has happened before:  

ww.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-94-1.pdf

and:

https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-94-2.pdf

So to be clear there is nothing from stopping Holder or the current administration from doing the same....

AND

"Under the Gun Control Act, the issue seems simple: they are pistols. Very big pistols, but pistols. Thus they have been treated, and sold in large numbers over quite a few years."

Does that not mean that 18USC, 921 (17) is now an issue:

(17)
(A) The term “ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.

(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—

(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

(C) The term “armor piercing ammunition” does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating

because:

You understand unless the Attorney General declares them to be "primarily used for sporting purposes"  conceivably they could be considered in violation????

And:

Ask yourself what happens to the registered AOW's that are now improperly registered if their bore diameter is greater than 1/2"....Do they get re-registered? Are  they subject to seizure and forfeiture?

Perhaps it's time we worry about getting in front of this with a solution?  

Sporting purposes is an abomination and needs to go!  

It gives far to much arbitrary power to the Attorney General to just "make it so" on a whim (as has already happened).

I'll ask one more time;

HOW DO YOU MEASURE SPORTING PURPOSES?  WHAT UNIT OF MEASURE CAN IT BE MEASURED WITH?

Choose to either bicker with each other or choose to fight this....

Choose wisely.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
HOW DO YOU MEASURE SPORTING PURPOSES?  WHAT UNIT OF MEASURE CAN IT BE MEASURED WITH?

Choose wisely.
View Quote

ATF declared Barnes Banded Solids in 5.56 and 7.62 didn't fall under sporting purposes(which prompted the entire M855 shenanigans that just took place) even though they were primarily intended for sporting purposes and I'm willing to bet never used in a crime.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

ATF declared Barnes Banded Solids in 5.56 and 7.62 didn't fall under sporting purposes(which prompted the entire M855 shenanigans that just took place) even though they were primarily intended for sporting purposes and I'm willing to bet never used in a crime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choose wisely.

Won't alot of Barnes' stuff be classified as AP based on the current crap going down?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Won't alot of Barnes' stuff be classified as AP based on the current crap going down?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choose wisely.

Ban Barnes and similar as "Armor Piercing" then send the EPA after lead bullets.  

What would be left to shoot?

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choose wisely.

TSX is 100% copper. If it was beryllium copper it would be banned. The BBS was brass. ETA: Not to say I'd put it past ATF to get creative with the definitions again like they have with every other "AP" ammo.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

TSX is 100% copper. If it was beryllium copper it would be banned. The BBS was brass. ETA: Not to say I'd put it past ATF to get creative with the definitions again like they have with every other "AP" ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choose wisely.

I didn't know it was pure copper.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

And with Cali moving to ban hunting with lead bullets.....and it is RUMORED that Barnes lobbied FOR that....but unconfirmed...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was told that they also broke the M855 ban story.

Sad when a tabloid is the one bringing us important news on the infringement of our constitutionally protected rights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That article is bullshit. Same guy has been making semi educated conspiracy theories on Examiner for a while - never any solid sources, and he doesn't make any connections that your average ARFcommer couldn't make in a GD thread.

People point this out all the time, but Examiner, Forbes, Huffington Post, and most Internet sites have a very low barrier of entry for journalists. Take everything you read on them with a grain of salt.

Oh you mean the two guys who broke the Fast & Furious scandal (who were also derided until it when MSM)?   You know that right?

I was told that they also broke the M855 ban story.

Sad when a tabloid is the one bringing us important news on the infringement of our constitutionally protected rights.

They also broke the story  about the ATF "stings" where they coerced developmentally disabled adults and youth into breaking federal law just to boost their arrest numbers and how those "stings" had agents breaking the law, destroying private property, losing money, private property and weapons and squandering public money. They should be brought before Congress again and I would like a list of the members of Congress that helped Broker this NRA deal!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
So, have any more details or credible sources emerged?

I really wonder if the MSM could spin this enough so this speculated situation could gain the anti-gun groups public favor. "Assault Weapons" are easy for the ignorant masses to be grossly misinformed about how evil and unnecessary they are for simple civilians to own.

They would have to spin this so "sawed off shotguns" are kept off the streets...FOR THE CHILDREN.

The historically arbitrary actions and recanting on decisions of the ATF could mean anything could happen. I am a trained Archivist (not practicing doesn't pay wel) and I think it's criminal that they don't have their response letters properly stored, digitized, and accompanied by a proper finding aid. Get some freaking interns to do that shit!

But why would they want TRANSPARENCY in their agency ????

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top