User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know!  

It's not illegal to create encryption that you can't access. You would think companies would do this just to avoid dealing with calls from law enforcement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

In before the "if you haven't done anything, you have nothing to fear" crowd

Isn't a search warrant the proper way to do things?

Why you hate the constitution?
They aren't refusing to comply. "Don't look at us, we can't open it"  

They designed it that way.
I know!  

It's not illegal to create encryption that you can't access. You would think companies would do this just to avoid dealing with calls from law enforcement.

Given the costs associated with subpoena/warrant compliance, it's what I'd do were I running a tech company.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#3]
what criminal activities do iPhone and iPad users do that makes this appealing to them?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Apple's policy does not circumvent the right to obtain evidence through the use of a search warrant.  Nor does it eliminate 'Contempt of Court' laws.

What it does it remove the government's ability to force Apple to reveal personal data stored and encrypted on its customer's devices,

BIG, BIG difference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

Apple's policy does not circumvent the right to obtain evidence through the use of a search warrant.  Nor does it eliminate 'Contempt of Court' laws.

What it does it remove the government's ability to force Apple to reveal personal data stored and encrypted on its customer's devices,

BIG, BIG difference.

You can explain it to them ....

You cannot understand it for them !  

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

All lawful access required.  There is no hardware, software, encryption, etc sold with a FCC license that does not allow for all lawful access or national security.   Every device has a backdoor built in big enough to drive the NSA and DOJ through it.  Or it doesn't get a sticker.  Phones, computers, etc.  Been this way for decades.  Used to be in the opening page of the Telecom Act.  They probably bury it a little deeper now.
View Quote

This doesn't apply to encryption software for storage devices, much of which is 3rd party and unregulated anyway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wow, big surprise that you are defending, condoning, and advocating the .gov finding more ways to access citizens electronic devices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a bad thing overall.  More agencies will develop their own entry capability in house and have their own techs.  This will be good justification for more funding and more employees along with a higher level of capability to manipulate the device in house.

Wow, big surprise that you are defending, condoning, and advocating the .gov finding more ways to access citizens electronic devices.

Support a veteran owned business. https://katanaforensics.com
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not a bad thing overall.  More agencies will develop their own entry capability in house and have their own techs.  This will be good justification for more funding and more employees along with a higher level of capability to manipulate the device in house.
View Quote

Every black cloud has a silver lining of empire building.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Of course, the other conspiracy-theory possibility here is that the .gov secretly strong-armed Apple into marketing the new OS and devices in this manner as a gigantic honeypot.

"Oh look, Achmed ... this new iPhone is most Halal ... many snackbars ..."
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#9]
LOL

It is a 4 digit number.

It would take a cop a couple hours and a couple cups of coffee to try all 10,000 combinations
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LOL

It is a 4 digit number.

It would take a cop a couple hours and a couple cups of coffee to try all 10,000 combinations
View Quote

I thought there were other ways to lock it (like that swipe pattern thingy) that were harder to crack?

I don't know, I still use a Blackberry. With full device encryption and a very complex password. Good luck cracking that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good

yup.  good on apple
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Big deal.  Nasty Spy Agency has that info anyway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Arfcom will be high-fiving and cheering until the first kiddy-raper walks free because his Iphone was inaccessible to a Constitutionally valid search warrant.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that the number of people evading conviction because the only possible evidence of a crime was on their cell phone is pretty close to zero.  In any case, plenty of information will still be available on the phone, just not stored data - i.e. you will still be able to track it's location, calls made and received etc.  About the only thing this will protect is browsing history (if they're smart) and stored pictures/video.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
what criminal activities do iPhone and iPad users do that makes this appealing to them?
View Quote

You are looking at it from the wrong side---it is not that iPhone users are criminals, but that nearly every criminal has a smartphone, and many are, in fact, dumb enough to leave incriminating evidence on them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Good
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LOL

It is a 4 digit number.

View Quote

SIMPLE passcode is 4 numbers. I am not sure if device encryption (the little 'Data protection is enabled' message) comes into play when a user selects 'Simple Passcode'.

Normal passcode can include letters, numbers, and symbols, and can be a tad larger than 4 characters.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The only thing that concerns me is that they mention data being automatically backed up in the cloud. Hopefully phones will not be configured like that out of the box as that is just as bad as having the password subpoenable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as it is a pause long enough for them to get a search warrant, I'm ok with this. Reading through phones on the side of the road was bullshit and everyone with a brain knew it.
They already need a warrant, now they will just not be able to get in absent the owner complying or some kind of  technical method of cracking it  

The only thing that concerns me is that they mention data being automatically backed up in the cloud. Hopefully phones will not be configured like that out of the box as that is just as bad as having the password subpoenable.

That's why they are happy to encrypt the phone now.

All the data is in the cloud, on their servers.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#18]
straight from the IRS playbook...."don't look at us we don't have the data'
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your question is worded improperly.

Think about it .....  
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All the data is in the cloud, on their servers.

View Quote

That's not true!    

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes.

Of course they won't.

After all, they have a policy.

View Quote

You know how I know you didn't read even the OP, much less the actual article?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll believe it once the cryptographic guys who know their shit look it over.  Until then, I'll assume every single OS out there is penetrated.  Hell, they even found a way though truecrypt through firewire ports.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Then Apple won't qualify for that little FCC sticker on the back of the phone.  No sticker, no sale in the US.  Every Federal Telecom Act for decades has required that any new technology have an access for LEO and national security.  No back door = no license to sell Telecom in the US.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

Then Apple won't qualify for that little FCC sticker on the back of the phone.  No sticker, no sale in the US.  Every Federal Telecom Act for decades has required that any new technology have an access for LEO and national security.  No back door = no license to sell Telecom in the US.

Likely this lever would get used eventually.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

LOL

It is a 4 digit number.

View Quote

4? Mine is not four characters long. Then again, I am not a dumbass.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

4th Amendment. Why do you hate freedom?

I know it is really tempting to some to look through other peoples wife pics and things.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good luck on the warrants front.

As I was instructed, a warrant can span from "you may do XYZ" to "the Court orders XYZ be done."

Willful obstruction of a court order probably won't go over so hot, if it comes to refusing-warrants time.
View Quote

If there's no way to get in the phone then there's no way to do it. Just tell the police to f*ck off. Apple is basically saying we don't have the capability to do that, sorry. It's no different than when people had dumb phones back in the day. You can get a warrant to look at call logs from the carrier, but in reality what's accessing a phone gonna do?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Arfcom will be high-fiving and cheering until the first kiddy-raper walks free because his Iphone was inaccessible to a Constitutionally valid search warrant.
View Quote

For the childrens!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'll believe it once the cryptographic guys who know their shit look it over.  Until then, I'll assume every single OS out there is penetrated.  Hell, they even found a way though truecrypt through firewire ports.
View Quote

Not just penetrated. Full blown airtight pterodactyled.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really?

You must be that guy in the NRA that tried to throw the Heller case under the bus.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Given the costs associated with subpoena/warrant compliance, it's what I'd do were I running a tech company.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know!  

Yup.

Make it so you are physically incapable of complying with the warrant. They can't do shit to you and you can save about a bajillion dollars per year.

It's just good business.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If there's no way to get in the phone then there's no way to do it. Just tell the police to f*ck off. Apple is basically saying we don't have the capability to do that, sorry. It's no different than when people had dumb phones back in the day. You can get a warrant to look at call logs from the carrier, but in reality what's accessing a phone gonna do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck on the warrants front.

As I was instructed, a warrant can span from "you may do XYZ" to "the Court orders XYZ be done."

Willful obstruction of a court order probably won't go over so hot, if it comes to refusing-warrants time.

Your last line screams ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Took them long enough.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I doubt it... the authorities will just have to have other evidence, which should be easy to do with their wiretap capabilities.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

So because I don't want the .gov accessing my phone that means I'm doing criminal activities?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So because I don't want the .gov accessing my phone that means I'm doing criminal activities?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously. Anyone who doesn't want the governments dick up their ass is a criminal... Or at least they will be when the government is done with them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

LOL

Only if you're lazy and/or don't use good passwords.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

It is a 4 digit number.

LOL

Even then if the new OS keeps them from getting a forensic copy of the file system before they start with "0000, 0001, ..." setting the wipe after 10 fails will leave the officer stuck at 0011.

Not that I would expect anyone in this thread would know the impact of IOS8 for this at this point.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Yep same here

Bad thing is you lose your phone its gone unless you keep a warranty on it.

Free

Quoted:

I believe that you have to setup cloud access as part of the process of setting up a new phone.

Personally I turn off all the crap like cloud and location services.

What ever happens on my phone .... stays on my phone !!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as it is a pause long enough for them to get a search warrant, I'm ok with this. Reading through phones on the side of the road was bullshit and everyone with a brain knew it.
They already need a warrant, now they will just not be able to get in absent the owner complying or some kind of  technical method of cracking it  

I believe that you have to setup cloud access as part of the process of setting up a new phone.

Personally I turn off all the crap like cloud and location services.

What ever happens on my phone .... stays on my phone !!!!

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

It is a 4 digit number.

LOL

what passwords?

It must be a 4 digit number or am I missing a setting someplace?

off to look in settings.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

what passwords?

off to look in settings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

It is a 4 digit number.

LOL

what passwords?

off to look in settings.

http://lifehacker.com/5914602/this-is-how-you-should-secure-your-iphone
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#41]
No they sell with OS7 and you get the new encryption when you update the OS

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#42]
I imagine it has become an expensive burden for Apple to respond to all the warrants nation wide. I am sure the various agencies have not ponied up to cover the cost of their investigation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Good on Apple . Im sure this will probably do little but slow the feds down just a bit until their own techs crack the codes , but hey . . . it's a start

Quoted:

View Quote

Not this ARFcommer .......better a few bad guys wander about loose than making the entire population vulnerable to gross and widespread 4th Amendment violations.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not that he is defending it. He wants to bring the guys to do it in house. Like an iPhone Gestapo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

It is a 4 digit number.

LOL

what passwords?

off to look in settings.

http://lifehacker.com/5914602/this-is-how-you-should-secure-your-iphone

halp!

I do not have a settings.general.passcode.

ios 7

ETA. found it.

Thanks, had no idea this was possible

<------------------- DUMBASS
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Now my finger ID does not unlock the phone

ETA.

It does work.

I hate this shit
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Something else you are missing, regarding "trying 10,000 times".  That won't do you any good if the phone is set to erase everything after 10 incorrect attempts.  I see you figured out the "simple passcode" issue, so disregard that box.

As for Apple's new stance: grumpycatgood.jpg
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Now my finger ID does not unlock the phone
View Quote

By setting up the "difficult" password it might have turned off your fingerprint ID login settings.  Turn that back on, and then I think your new passcode will act as the backup in case it can't figure out the fingerprint.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top