Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might look at doing ladders with the bell.  The way I'm trying to do it is go from 1-20 then back to 1.  Do 1, take one breath (preferably through your nose.  Do 2 and then take 2 breaths.  And etc.  Continue to 20 then back down.   If you complete it you hit 400 total.   Be a nice goal.  But until you get there, try 1-5 and back or 1-10 and back.  Breaks up the boredom some.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in horrible, horrible, horrible shape (5'11", 400 lbs, no cardio-respiratory fitness at all) and I decided to just start doing body weight squats every day, increasing the number daily.  This thread has motivated me to add KB swings as well.  I'm only on day 3 but I ready to up the number of swings I do in a session.  The first couple of days, 10 swings smoked me.  The third day, I could have kept going so I'm going to bump it up to 15 or 20 at a time.  My goal is to get up 100, 200 or even 300 KB swings and squats, most days.  Just some basic strength & conditioning work.  I've discovered over the years that I lack the structural integrity to lift even moderately heavy weights.  I always end up injuring myself, probably tendons or ligaments that aren't used to stress.  I'm using a 35 lb KB but may eventually move up to a 53 lb bell if this one becomes too easy.  I also bike ride but the weather has been horrible so that's been neglected.
Might look at doing ladders with the bell.  The way I'm trying to do it is go from 1-20 then back to 1.  Do 1, take one breath (preferably through your nose.  Do 2 and then take 2 breaths.  And etc.  Continue to 20 then back down.   If you complete it you hit 400 total.   Be a nice goal.  But until you get there, try 1-5 and back or 1-10 and back.  Breaks up the boredom some.  

Did this tonight.

Liked it way better than the 10,15,25,50 x5.

This workout still fucking sucks, though.

One of the trainers (who is a friend) at my gym said "it would be easier if you either quit lifting heavy beforehand, or weren't such a fat fuck!".

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That shit chips off. My 50# dumbells look like shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't sell poly for like $4/can down there?

Are they still heavy?  All that matters.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Do they still have the Rogue logo?  All that matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you

I'm up to 250/day on the days I do them, which is whenever I'm supposed to be doing squats.  Incredibly boring.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I decided to give it a go, because why not?  Started this morning and did the full 500, using the routine Mr. Ellifritz laid out in his article, although I don't have a foam roller.  I decided to do goblet squats for the alternate exercise for today.  First set I did with my little 8 kg bell to warm up, then did the following three sets with my 35 lb.  Wussed out and finished the last set with the little one again.  Took me 42 minutes so I don't feel too badly at all about Day 1.

I think tomorrow I'll do shoulder presses.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah they still work but that would suck on a kettlebell that has no knurling.
For $15 more I will take sweet powder coating.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you

I'm up to 250/day on the days I do them, which is whenever I'm supposed to be doing squats.  Incredibly boring.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you

Hush now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheesh. You southern girls are divas.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out that humidity.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Check out that humidity. <a href="http://s111.photobucket.com/user/kaik78/media/Screenshot_2015-12-25-10-20-43_zpsggenjte3.png.html" target="_blank">http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/kaik78/Screenshot_2015-12-25-10-20-43_zpsggenjte3.png</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out that humidity. <a href="http://s111.photobucket.com/user/kaik78/media/Screenshot_2015-12-25-10-20-43_zpsggenjte3.png.html" target="_blank">http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/kaik78/Screenshot_2015-12-25-10-20-43_zpsggenjte3.png</a>

Should we also notice that you can't spell your home town?  

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Google knew what I meant.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Did this tonight.

One of the trainers (who is a friend) at my gym said "it would be easier if you either quit lifting heavy beforehand, or weren't such a fat fuck!".

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in horrible, horrible, horrible shape (5'11", 400 lbs, no cardio-respiratory fitness at all) and I decided to just start doing body weight squats every day, increasing the number daily.  This thread has motivated me to add KB swings as well.  I'm only on day 3 but I ready to up the number of swings I do in a session.  The first couple of days, 10 swings smoked me.  The third day, I could have kept going so I'm going to bump it up to 15 or 20 at a time.  My goal is to get up 100, 200 or even 300 KB swings and squats, most days.  Just some basic strength & conditioning work.  I've discovered over the years that I lack the structural integrity to lift even moderately heavy weights.  I always end up injuring myself, probably tendons or ligaments that aren't used to stress.  I'm using a 35 lb KB but may eventually move up to a 53 lb bell if this one becomes too easy.  I also bike ride but the weather has been horrible so that's been neglected.

Did this tonight.

Positive motivator...

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Day 2 completed.  Same thing today except that I did presses instead of goblet squats between the swings, didn't pay close attention but finished in roughly the same amount of time.  Holy core muscles Batman.  Thank God tomorrow is "off" but it's going to have to be an active recovery type of day to keep from getting too stiff and sore.  I see some yoga in my future.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Day 2 completed.  Same thing today except that I did presses instead of goblet squats between the swings, didn't pay close attention but finished in roughly the same amount of time.  Holy core muscles Batman.  Thank God tomorrow is "off" but it's going to have to be an active recovery type of day to keep from getting too stiff and sore.  I see some yoga in my future.

View Quote

What weight are you using?
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I do the first set with 8kg (17.7 lb, IIRC) to warm up.  Then use my 35 lb one, but these first two days I've finished again with the little one as I run out of gas and my grip starts slipping.  I think Thursday and Friday I'm going to warm up and finish with the 25 lb, still using the 35 lb for the middle reps, next week try to finish with the 35.  I'm hoping by the end I can be swapping in a 45 for at least some of the swings and maybe even the 55 lb for some goblet squats on the days I do those.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I do the first set with 8kg (17.7 lb, IIRC) to warm up.  Then use my 35 lb one, but these first two days I've finished again with the little one as I run out of gas and my grip starts slipping.  I think Thursday and Friday I'm going to warm up and finish with the 25 lb, still using the 35 lb for the middle reps, next week try to finish with the 35.  I'm hoping by the end I can be swapping in a 45 for at least some of the swings and maybe even the 55 lb for some goblet squats on the days I do those.
View Quote

I guess I am going big with my 62#er.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a dude.  I am not.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#17]
No, but I have done 2,200 in one day as a part of a 22 a day challenge that was suppose to raise awareness for veteran suicide. My arms and shoulders were toast for about 10 days.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess that makes sense it's so hard to tell who a girl is I wish they wouod put it in their username.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I have  a 45# one coming next week. I'll do my HIIT session each morning then do this in the afternoon.
When we do dumbbell swings at HIIT I sometimes use 45#. I figured kettlebell would be easier to handle so I think I should be able to do 25 each set to start. I'll increase the rep count for each set until this old body calls it quit.  
Should be fun.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#20]
It will be interesting to see how you do with that 63lb-er.  The only hard part of the swings for me is hanging onto it and keeping the load on the muscles of the arms & shoulders instead of pulling the arms in the shoulder sockets and loading the elbow joints.  63 would suck worse, but I suspect in a few weeks I'd be able to do it.

I've been dabbling with this, planning to start on it for real next week.  I've been doing
10 swings with 55lb KB
95lb OHP 5 reps
20 swings
5 reps
30 swings
5 reps
40 swings
5 reps
50 swings
5 reps
40 swings
5 reps
30 swings
5 reps
20 swings
5 reps
10 swings
5 reps

The OHP could have been a bit heavier or maybe 8-10 reps, but I'll keep it there and add another set with a different lift and start working on time to finish.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It will be interesting to see how you do with that 63lb-er.  The only hard part of the swings for me is hanging onto it and keeping the load on the muscles of the arms & shoulders instead of pulling the arms in the shoulder sockets and loading the elbow joints.  63 would suck worse, but I suspect in a few weeks I'd be able to do it.

I've been dabbling with this, planning to start on it for real next week.  I've been doing
10 swings with 55lb KB
95lb OHP 5 reps
20 swings
5 reps
30 swings
5 reps
40 swings
5 reps
50 swings
5 reps
40 swings
5 reps
30 swings
5 reps
20 swings
5 reps
10 swings
5 reps

The OHP could have been a bit heavier or maybe 8-10 reps, but I'll keep it there and add another set with a different lift and start working on time to finish.
View Quote

It should ship today so I will see soon.  I'll probably do pullup pyramids in between swings.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've been doing KB circuits following my 5x5 for a few months, and I really like it.

Got a 25lb KB for Christmas which I need to exchange for at least a 35lb, but since it's pretty crappy out today I decided to go through the circuit. Took me 25 minutes to do all 5 clusters as laid out on the webpage using pullups. Guess I need more weight

But yeah, it's kinda boring.

Has anyone seen a KB handle you can use cheap standard weights with? For pure swinging I'd rather have a KB I can add weight to.
View Quote

Yeah but it ain't cheap. Boom!

There is also a floppy one but it doesn't have the best reviews.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Did another round of kettlebell swings today, trying to ease into doing 2,000 of them a week which I don't think is wise to simply jump into.

today I managed to get a brutal 500 of them, doing the same pyramid as last time.

10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 swings broken up with 5 205lb front squats per increment on the first set and 5 bodyweight dips on the second.  Including the 6 minute rest between sets I got done in 56 minutes.  And I'm cooked.  Having a hard time using a fork, which means I've actually got a chance at losing some weight!

My elbows hurt now, it's just a lot of pulling on the arms, good luck with that 63lb kb.  It would beat me up I think.  I managed to do them all unbroken except the last sets of 50 and 40, but give me another week or so and I'll be getting those too.

I think at the end of the week I'll do it again with cleans and overhead squats as the supplemental lifts.  For tonight I'm going to bathe in Ben-gay.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:11:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Did another round of kettlebell swings today, trying to ease into doing 2,000 of them a week which I don't think is wise to simply jump into.

today I managed to get a brutal 500 of them, doing the same pyramid as last time.

10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 swings broken up with 5 205lb front squats per increment on the first set and 5 bodyweight dips on the second.  Including the 6 minute rest between sets I got done in 56 minutes.  And I'm cooked.  Having a hard time using a fork, which means I've actually got a chance at losing some weight!

My elbows hurt now, it's just a lot of pulling on the arms, good luck with that 63lb kb.  It would beat me up I think.  I managed to do them all unbroken except the last sets of 50 and 40, but give me another week or so and I'll be getting those too.

I think at the end of the week I'll do it again with cleans and overhead squats as the supplemental lifts.  For tonight I'm going to bathe in Ben-gay.

View Quote

I looked again it's only 62#s. Much lighter.

What are you using?

I did the Big Clean Complex today. Worked from 95 to 135. I was smoked after that. I should be able to swing 62#s quite a few times though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been doing KB circuits following my 5x5 for a few months, and I really like it.

Got a 25lb KB for Christmas which I need to exchange for at least a 35lb, but since it's pretty crappy out today I decided to go through the circuit. Took me 25 minutes to do all 5 clusters as laid out on the webpage using pullups. Guess I need more weight

But yeah, it's kinda boring.

Has anyone seen a KB handle you can use cheap standard weights with? For pure swinging I'd rather have a KB I can add weight to.

I think this is probably more appropriate for his wants:  Amazon

I have something called a Kettlestack that was given to me years ago that is along the same lines.  I never put it through much test, but it seems okay.  I think it's probably overpriced.  I'm thinking about either getting the one I linked in this post or doing the pipe fitting DIY version listed on Instructables or End of Three Fitness.  I'm curious to hear how desertw0lf likes the spud strap thing first.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:01:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What are you using?

I did the Big Clean Complex today. Worked from 95 to 135. I was smoked after that. I should be able to swing 62#s quite a few times though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you using?

I'm using 55lb.  It started out pretty hard to hold onto after maybe 100 swings in 10 minutes, but today 500 swings was much easier to hold onto.  I think after two or three weeks I'd be able to hang onto the 62lb, but it would have been really hard to start with.

I might try the big clean complex in the morning, I did high hangs up to 155lbs last week and they went really well, and I don't have to worry about wiping myself out for squats anymore so I don't mind pushing myself harder.  Those 205lb front squats with the swings really wiped me out tonight.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:19:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm using 55lb.  It started out pretty hard to hold onto after maybe 100 swings in 10 minutes, but today 500 swings was much easier to hold onto.  I think after two or three weeks I'd be able to hang onto the 62lb, but it would have been really hard to start with.

I might try the big clean complex in the morning, I did high hangs up to 155lbs last week and they went really well, and I don't have to worry about wiping myself out for squats anymore so I don't mind pushing myself harder.  Those 205lb front squats with the swings really wiped me out tonight.

View Quote

I've been working on grip for a few weeks now. Hopefully that will help.

I've pretty much switched my focus from strength to conditioning now. I'll still do my 5/3/1 sets. But I know my strength is going to drop.

I can pretty much hang clean the same amount I can squat clean. Stupid front squats.

You should try for 140#s.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Am I in before Kai kills himself with a kettlebell?
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, I think it shipped yesterday. Still got a few days.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a #50 coming.  I'll probably still knock my teeth out with it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've pretty much switched my focus from strength to conditioning now. I'll still do my 5/3/1 sets. But I know my strength is going to drop.

I can pretty much hang clean the same amount I can squat clean. Stupid front squats.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a pretty cool grip workout this morning.  Plate flips.  Google it and take a look at the klokov video.  Did 20 reps, plate in each hand.  Went 15s, then 25,s, then attempted 35s and ended up about breaking my foot.  So did 25s again.  Props to anyone who can do 35s for 20 reps.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have been thinking about buying a couple Kettlebells at Dicks.  I am wondering if it's cheaper to pay a hundred bucks per for a 45 and a 55 than to get them shipped considering the weight.
View Quote

My 62#er from rogue was  $94. That other place had them for cheaper with free shipping.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I did a pretty cool grip workout this morning.  Plate flips.  Google it and take a look at the klokov video.  Did 20 reps, plate in each hand.  Went 15s, then 25,s, then attempted 35s and ended up about breaking my foot.  So did 25s again.  Props to anyone who can do 35s for 20 reps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks nasty. Especially when my plates don't have lips like his.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do weigh about 20 more pounds than you of pure muscle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'm much better looking.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I was blessed with better real life trolling skills though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Day 3...done.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Day 3...done.
View Quote

How are those forearms?
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

How are those forearms?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Day 3...done.

How are those forearms?

Forearms are fine, so far.

Core and glutes, OTOH...

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Core and glutes, OTOH...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Day 3...done.

How are those forearms?

Core and glutes, OTOH...

Ha Ha, just don't do any sprints for a while.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I think it's funny how different the location of sore muscles is for everybody.  Glutes and core don't even feel tired for me, shoulders and elbows are wiped out.  Forearms were tired at first, but don't bother me anymore.

After I cut some firewood I'll do my complex inturrupted with high hang cleans and pull-ups.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I think it's funny how different the location of sore muscles is for everybody.  Glutes and core don't even feel tired for me, shoulders and elbows are wiped out.  Forearms were tired at first, but don't bother me anymore.

After I cut some firewood I'll do my complex inturrupted with high hang cleans and pull-ups.
View Quote

You do heavy squats. So your glutes and core are pretty solid.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Next week I'm starting it with goblets, pullups and dips.  Doing pullups 2 days as I can only do about 10 at a time and I want to up that number.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Started week 2 strong this morning.  Working my way up slowly with heavier bells and hasn't been monotonous yet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Did 250 swings and 45 155lb bench presses, then 250 swings and 50 105lb strict presses.  The kettlebell is only a 50lb-er though, that 5lbs makes a difference on the sets of 50, but it also has a crappy coating and small handle so it's rough on the hands and uncomfortable to swing.

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a 15 pound kettlebell.  Should I get a bigger one for this?  Is there anywhere I can buy one with free shipping?
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have a 15 pound kettlebell.  Should I get a bigger one for this?  Is there anywhere I can buy one with free shipping?
View Quote

Yes.

Amazon has some with free shipping.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top