Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
All of my spinach plants got eaten to the ground last night....    
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not much of a window there to grow things, is it?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just had to cover the garden in plastic in a 15 mph wind, we have a very good chance of frost tonight.

When do you not have to worry about frost?

June 9th and August 28th are the record first and last dates. This has been a cold spring so far. This should be the last time to worry.

Not much of a window there to grow things, is it?

Now it isn't but we do have favorable conditions. Only 6 hours of darkness coupled with mid 70s temperatures and stuff grows really fast. The only vegetables we can't grow are frost susceptible 120 day season varieties.

Where are season hurts us is being on the border of zone 3 and 4 means a lot of trees and perrinials are off limits.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Half of mine got destroyed by a hailstorm yesterday....

ETA: half of my entire garden
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The month of rain was apparently too much for my cucumbers and strawberries.  They might recover, but I think I'm going to need to replant.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Deer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Deer?
No, I'm in the city so not a lot of deer at my house.

Most likely some small crawling critter.

I have a raised bed garden with 1" holed steel poultry netting around it so I doubt it was the rabbits.

Whatever did it is small enough to crawl through the 1" steel netting.

I had the exact same problem last year but it was with my radishes then.

They only eat the plants that have just germinated and are under 2" of growth.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn!  I keep forgetting to take pics for this thread.  I took off work tomorrow to make a walkway through my edible landscaping project.  I'll set myself a reminder to take pics.  

But I did snap a pic of these yesterday.

Found a guy on a local FB group giving away some golden raspberry canes.  The birds will leave them alone so they'll be one less thing I have to net next year.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Maybe crows?  They like newly germinated plants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Deer?
No, I'm in the city so not a lot of deer at my house.   Most likely some small crawling critter.

I have a raised bed garden with 1" holed steel poultry netting around it so I doubt it was the rabbits.

Whatever did it is small enough to crawl through the 1" steel netting.

I had the exact same problem last year but it was with my radishes then.

They only eat the plants that have just germinated and are under 2" of growth.

Maybe crows?  They like newly germinated plants.
Hmmm.

Not a lot of crows here but there are a lot of Ravens.

Off to see if Ravens eat garden plants......
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
So I saw on the internet that you can re-grow grocery store green onions so I thought I'd give it a try just to see.

Son-of-a-gun no shit.

Last week I bought two 6pack bunches of green onions (I use a lot of Scallions).

Normally I cut the root end off short and toss it, this time I cut them up a bit at 1 inch and then planted the root end in a container.

I read that you can get three or four regrows from the "bulb" of a grocery store Scallion.

Here is what it looked like when I planted them three days ago:

Son-of-a-gun if they aren't growing again three days later:

I'll post more pics if they keep growing....

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Snapped a few pics from my edible landscaping this morning.

This is a Nanking bush cherry.  Easily the fastest growing perennial I planted this year.

Artichoke.

A few of my cherry, plum, and apple trees.  Cherry is kicking ass

One of my blueberries.  I think this one is either Chandler or Spartan.

And from my conventional garden:

Garlic Scapes!!!

And this is a heirloom cherry tomato that's really looking mean.  The big problem with heirlooms is that a lot of them suck.  Naturally I tried a type called Illinois best, but it's pretty pathetic looking right now.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got one of my 3x12 beds converted to a square foot garden this weekend. So far, I've got 24 of the 36 spots planted. Tomatoes, cukes, spaghetti squash, cardinal climbers (flower) and sugar babies for the vining plants in the back row, with 2 spots available in that row. Potatoes, carrots, snap peas, peppers, and assorted flowers in the other 2 rows.

Just need to figure what I want for the other spots. Maybe more carrots in a couple of weeks.
View Quote

My problem around these parts is that it seems to take forever to grow carrots. Put `em in the ground around April and then around September they start coming in.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doh!

What happened? Slugs or wildlife?

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The month of rain was apparently too much for my cucumbers and strawberries.  They might recover, but I think I'm going to need to replant.

View Quote

Anything else that did well with the rain?

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, I've also decided to grow corn.
Let's see if the little bastard will eat these to the ground....

My thumb is as green as Papa Smurf so I have no clue...

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Damn!  I keep forgetting to take pics for this thread.  I took off work tomorrow to make a walkway through my edible landscaping project.  I'll set myself a reminder to take pics.  

But I did snap a pic of these yesterday.

http:// http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af228/galtphoto/9FB0F7B5-4137-483A-9AA1-8DA132EE4367_zpspjxswsky.jpg

Found a guy on a local FB group giving away some golden raspberry canes.  The birds will leave them alone so they'll be one less thing I have to net next year.
View Quote

Nice photos of your produce to be produced!
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't say well, but everything else at least survived, so there's that.

Starting to harvest some squash, okra, tomatoes, jalapenos but the real big harvests are still yet to come.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Dunno, but if birds are the only likely culprit put out some "snakes" made from old pieces of (any kind of) hose.  We have 13-lined ground squirrels here that wreak havoc and are hard to keep out due to their small size, but I don't know about your area, of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm.   Not a lot of crows here but there are a lot of Ravens.
Off to see if Ravens eat garden plants......

Dunno, but if birds are the only likely culprit put out some "snakes" made from old pieces of (any kind of) hose.  We have 13-lined ground squirrels here that wreak havoc and are hard to keep out due to their small size, but I don't know about your area, of course.

Pellet rifle and diligence.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So I saw on the internet that you can re-grow grocery store green onions so I thought I'd give it a try just to see.

Son-of-a-gun no shit.
Last week I bought two 6pack bunches of green onions (I use a lot of Scallions).
Normally I cut the root end off short and toss it, this time I cut them up a bit at 1 inch and then planted the root end in a container.
I read that you can get three or four regrows from the "bulb" of a grocery store Scallion.

Here is what it looked like when I planted them three days ago:

http://m4.i.pbase.com/o9/72/325172/1/160287184.P8Im6ZAj.Onion1.jpg

Son-of-a-gun if they aren't growing again three days later:I'll post more pics if they keep growing....

http://m7.i.pbase.com/o9/72/325172/1/160287187.uWzaTkc3.Onion2.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Doh!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Doh!

Do slugs eat germinating garden stuff?

I have seen slugs here...

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Snapped a few pics from my edible landscaping this morning.

This is a Nanking bush cherry.  Easily the fastest growing perennial I planted this year.

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af228/galtphoto/8A9FB1FB-CFF4-4C71-B50D-0EF302E16719_zpsaksh5ap4.jpg

Artichoke.

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af228/galtphoto/B2D52119-83E7-4F77-BE04-7A4141B98CE3_zpsnvhb4asc.jpg

A few of my cherry, plum, and apple trees.  Cherry is kicking ass

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af228/galtphoto/03729A31-9A26-46E5-9DE2-E48ECA84A025_zpsxueflszo.jpg

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af228/galtphoto/3EA64A88-B6FC-4836-97C2-129D18BF23CE_zpszqd7r4ac.jpg

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af228/galtphoto/2E7F4E20-9A0F-46ED-80CE-F7F928D0BE7F_zpshdjrrvyy.jpg

One of my blueberries.  I think this one is either Chandler or Spartan.

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af228/galtphoto/315F7F71-A53D-41FC-ACE0-1D43EB7EB743_zpsp6nid4hs.jpg

And from my conventional garden:

Garlic Scapes!!!

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af228/galtphoto/4D6DA604-6E0E-458F-A0AA-934955A24298_zpsqznd9wmo.jpg

And this is a heirloom cherry tomato that's really looking mean.  The big problem with heirlooms is that a lot of them suck.  Naturally I tried a type called Illinois best, but it's pretty pathetic looking right now.

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af228/galtphoto/3CB59E21-A757-4ABF-8A90-0BEB34E99D3E_zpsouoij98c.jpg
View Quote

Someone has worked hard to invest in further endeavors!
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do slugs eat germinating garden stuff?   I have seen slugs here...

http://m0.i.pbase.com/g9/72/325172/2/156972810.HCdZUN2O.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doh!

Do slugs eat germinating garden stuff?   I have seen slugs here...

http://m0.i.pbase.com/g9/72/325172/2/156972810.HCdZUN2O.jpg

Slugs can eat lots of things, to the ground.

The big ones, feast on radishes, turnips and other veggie produce as well.

I usually have a free beer party for them. They drink, get drunk, fall into the traps, then drown.

I sleep well knowing that they are in the "drunk tank".

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 11:14:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I out planted my garden, had to make room and make a second garden this year
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I out planted my garden, had to make room and make a second garden this year
View Quote

Sometimes one has to be creative to get more from their desires of produce!

Didi the same thing a few years back.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:51:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Tomato plants are growing slow this year as compared to last year. I planted these five weeks ago, but the taller ones range from only 20"-24" high.....looks like it's time for more fertilizer. For those of you who have very large plants, what type of fertilizer are you using?

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#28]
compost/manure.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've had GREAT results with Miracle Grow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomato plants are growing slow this year as compared to last year. I planted these five weeks ago, but the taller ones range from only 20"-24" high.....looks like it's time for more fertilizer. For those of you who have very large plants, what type of fertilizer are you using?

http://i60.tinypic.com/jh4sp1.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/160r4oz.jpg

Thanks! Any particular kind of Miracle Grow, or is there only one type?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Only one kind--it comes in a green and yellow box and is blue crystals.  You put a tiny amount (measuring spoon enclosed) into water and shake it up.  Do NOT use more than recommended as it's strong on nitrogen and will "burn" (kill) your plants.  You can get it at Walmart in the tiny box (still goes a long way) or a big box.  It's GREAT stuff.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! Any particular kind of Miracle Grow, or is there only one type?

Only one kind--it comes in a green and yellow box and is blue crystals.  You put a tiny amount (measuring spoon enclosed) into water and shake it up.  Do NOT use more than recommended as it's strong on nitrogen and will "burn" (kill) your plants.  You can get it at Walmart in the tiny box (still goes a long way) or a big box.  It's GREAT stuff.  

I searched and found the Miracle Grow with a sprayer, would you recommend using that one, or is it better to measure it out and mix it myself?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

YMMV but I see no use for the sprayer.  Rather than using that I would rather just buy a bag of yard fertilizer (12-12-12) and spread it.  Same thing, but cheaper.

We mix gallon (milk) jugs and dump them on each plant.  Our young fruit trees and blueberries get a gallon each.  Garden much less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I searched and found the Miracle Grow with a sprayer, would you recommend using that one, or is it better to measure it out and mix it myself?

YMMV but I see no use for the sprayer.  Rather than using that I would rather just buy a bag of yard fertilizer (12-12-12) and spread it.  Same thing, but cheaper.

We mix gallon (milk) jugs and dump them on each plant.  Our young fruit trees and blueberries get a gallon each.  Garden much less.

Thanks for all the info, looks like I'll be heading out to Walmart in a bit to pick some up. I'll probably go with the crystals mixed in a jug method. I really appreciate the advice.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#34]
We have peppers, several varieties of tomatoes, pole beans and cucumbers.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I was thinking about bees today.  I'm not allowed to keep bees within city limits, but is there anything I can make or do to encourage a hive on my property?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don`t use any fertilizer.

Lots of soil amendments like Black Kow cow manure, peat moss, wood chips, ash from a wood stove, pine saw dust, and yard clippings, have given me consistently every year, tomatoes that grow to about or over, 14 feet in length. I am not kidding. When you step on the soil in the main patch where the `maters are growing, it feels like you are stepping on a sponge.

Tomatoes love organic soil. The other plants like my corn & beans, seem to like it as well.

Now the corn,  I use 40-0-0 urea or ammonium nitrate, for nitrogen, as they are heavy feeders. Saturate the ground once when the plants are around knee high, and then when the plants are around hip high.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
compost/manure.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We have peppers, several varieties of tomatoes, pole beans and cucumbers.  

View Quote

Glad to see you show up and comment!

Tomatoes......what brand is the tastiest for you and what variety has produced the most for you?

2 tiered question.

To clarify, I realize that there is no perfect `mater one should grow.....only that one may like one variety or another, for various reasons.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been using this stuff for my 'maters, it seems to be working great - but it's pink not blue.

I get it at Home Depot, it's mixed 1.5 tablespoons per 1.5 gallons of water.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was thinking about bees today.  I'm not allowed to keep bees within city limits, but is there anything I can make or do to encourage a hive on my property?
View Quote

If you like waspers, grow corn, cauliflower, or cabbage..................

They pull small worms & aphids off of the above three aforementioned plants.

I tolerate them but don`t like them because they can be loose cannons when in search of food. They are beneficial, but after the growing season is over................If it flies it dies, if it crawls, it falls.  Operation, Scorched Earth.

If you are looking for honeybees, lots of clover.

My whole outlook on honeybees changed after I read about beekeeping. If I had the funds, I would dive right in at the moment and set up 5 or 6 hives.

I actually smile now when I see a few buzzing around in my yard.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I tolerate them but don`t like them because they can be loose cannons when in search of food. They are beneficial, but after the growing season is over................If it flies it dies, if it crawls, it falls.  Operation, Scorched Earth.

My whole outlook on honeybees changed after I read about beekeeping. If I had the funds, I would dive right in at the moment and set up 5 or 6 hives.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I'm after honeybees.  Plenty of asshole paper wasps around.  Last year is discovered a nest under my mailbox while mowing around it.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a single honey bee this year, which prompted my brainstorming for a gorilla hive.  I have plenty of clover in the yard, and I do see those big bumble bees a lot.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes, I'm after honeybees.  Plenty of asshole paper wasps around.  Last year is discovered a nest under my mailbox while mowing around it.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a single honey bee this year, which prompted my brainstorming for a gorilla hive.  I have plenty of clover in the yard, and I do see those big bumble bees a lot.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chances are that the bumblebees that you are seeing, are the wood tunneling bees that drill into everything that they can find made of wood.

Carpenter bees, I think they are called.

Have a few around here.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Try trimming them down to a single vine, so all the energy goes into that one vine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Try trimming them down to a single vine, so all the energy goes into that one vine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good idea. I will try that with about half of them and see what kind of results I get. Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#45]

I always have a small garden in my back yard...half runners, tomatoes, cucumbers.   I have carrots in buckets this year.  I plant collards, Kale and mustard greens mid summer and plant them after pulling up all my other plants.  I eat the greens late into winter.  Keeps the bugs from eating them and cold weather makes better tasting greens.  Gonna throw some turnips in this fall.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I always have a small garden in my back yard...half runners, tomatoes, cucumbers.   I have carrots in buckets this year.  I plant collards, Kale and mustard greens mid summer and plant them after pulling up all my other plants.  I eat the greens late into winter.  Keeps the bugs from eating them and cold weather makes better tasting greens.  Gonna throw some turnips in this fall.

View Quote

I have to agree that cooler weather makes for better tasting veggies. At least for the ones that you listed.

I always do turnips and radishes, in the fall, as they do better then and are juicier.

The first crop of beans here, seems to gather Mexican bean beetles. Later in the season however, usually no problems with those bugs.

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:41:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Damn a few days of rain in a row and 4 of my onions bolted... Damn hopefully no more do.

Is it best to just pull them now or wait until after the flowers open?

Planted both red and white sets.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Good idea. I will try that with about half of them and see what kind of results I get. Thanks for the tip!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I try to pull off the "suckers" that grow at the split branches of `mater plants. An old Cherokee Indian once told me this.

Seems to work.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 12:38:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Here is a 3 month progress photo or two, on my `maters for the unbelievers. Never took a photo of the 14 footer length a couple of months afterwards.

To be honest, I didn`t believe it either!

8 feet plus and still growing in August at the time, around here.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone grow corn?

I have a question as I've never grown corn before and my thumb is as green as Papa Smuf's.....

I bought these Silver Queen corn "sets" in a container and they were about a foot tall when I got them and there were two plants in each small container.  When I pulled them out of the container their roots were so intertwined that they were impossible to separate with destroying both plants - so I planted them that way (as pairs).

Is it OK two leave them planted this way or should I cut off the smaller one at ground level?

Hey, I fly airplanes for fun - don't know a damn thing about growing stuff but I'm willing to learn....

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top