Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:12:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I drove a people's wagon from sea to shining sea, and drove a micro-bus (or whatever they called it) back from California.

Did get used to being pushed rather than pulled, and that the boot was in front of me, rather than behind my ass!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had 2 of them, a 6 volt one, and a 12 volt one.

Neat cars, but I was glad to get rid of the second one.

I'd had enough.

Having to hold your hand on the windshield to melt the ice so you can see, gets old after a few times.
View Quote
This.  First car I had was a badly bubbaed "Baja" VW---I'm thinking mid-sixties vintage, can't remember the actual year.  Guy I bought it from had taken out the rear seats and put in a plywood deck--?? . . Small foam rubber steering wheel.  It did have the hand operated rubber/fabric "sunroof". . . But I quickly realized that those old VW's did everything poorly---acceleration, braking, handling, heat, ac---hah!, no ac, of course. . .The only thing they did well---was run. . . They were the AK---no, the SKS of autos. . . I believe I paid $500 for it. . . this was in 1974, IIRC. . .

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Inherited the 1957 oval window, ragtop convertible beetle that I restored with my Father. Pea soup green, with Porsche 356 Super 90 engine and brakes. Looks stock, but performs well enough to safely drive in the left lane on the interstate.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Do it. This is my 69.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Original.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#6]
My first car was a 72 Super beetle.  I taught many a 15 year old girl how to drive in that car.

Much fun in 1976
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:16:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Only as a dune buggy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:18:05 AM EDT
[#8]
For some reason that's my 13 year old grandson's dream car
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Had a '62 and loved it. Put snow tires on it and it'd climb trees. You had to learn to handle the oversteer, though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife's 74 Super Beetle.

All original except a repaint. Has a sunroof and factory AC set up..

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Slow, noisy, unsafe, and uncomfortable. What's not to love?
View Quote

Slow by today's standards, yes.  But I had a bug when I was 18 that would pull the front wheels off the ground.  Of course all it had upfront was the gas tank and a Kenwood amp.  I pulled the spare and all the other crap.

I went through a lot of rears in that car.  One of the most fun cars Ive owned because of it's cheap power and simplicity.  No PS, etc...just an air-cooled engine on steroids, 4 wheels and a tub.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I miss my beetle sometimes for the nostalgia. My CRX is like a modern, fuel injected version as far as size and all manual features.

Chicks digged it for sure. I had it in college, bit mostly rode my bicycle to school and around town and what not. When I pulled up in the old SB for a date, it was like an instant panty soaker...

I bought it off of Craigslist from a field in Alabama and it was listed for $1000. I called the guy and asked what I needed to bring to get it back to ATL.  In his Alabama backwoods accent " Just put gas in it!" Lol tie rods were shot so it wobbled like hell, but it made it. I think all the tie rods cost me $22 and an afternoon

I put wood floors in it along with a crap ton of sound deadening. Deleted the rear seat and had a sweet wood back area for cargo.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Punch Buggys     I remember seeing them all over the place in the 80s and even early 90s
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do it. This is my 69.
<a href="http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/davidwilburn1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/8F8FCCFC-5593-4ED7-9223-1CDA4C9ECAD8_zps03thxpck.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah71/davidwilburn1/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/8F8FCCFC-5593-4ED7-9223-1CDA4C9ECAD8_zps03thxpck.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/davidwilburn1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/334A535F-E420-4CF9-82AA-937E8DC2164E_zpskbdlsrig.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah71/davidwilburn1/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/334A535F-E420-4CF9-82AA-937E8DC2164E_zpskbdlsrig.jpg</a>
View Quote

Ok, that is fucking awesome!!!!  You have to provide more details on this thing.  Engine, frame, suspension?  Did you do the work?  You cannot just post two pictures of that thing.....
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#15]
My first car was a three-color '67 bug...Pine green, primer gray, and rust  

Heater barely worked and the defrosters were non-existent...which is not a good thing during Chicago winters. Had to carry an ice scraper to scrape the inside of the windows.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#16]
'71 SB was my first car.  It was a demo model I bought in '72 for the princely sum of $1995.  
As a poster above said, flat windshield, small tail lights.

Lots of good memories with that car, but I'd never own another one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
71 was the start of curved windshields yeah? Slam it, get some wider fenders and run wider wheels.
View Quote

71 is still a flat windshield in the super, german look, or cal look.  Whatever gets your motor running!!

Speed

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What I know of the car:

Wide 'glass fenders all around and no running boards

Flat windshield.  The curved glass would have been later that year or 1972 model I think

Porsche 924 wheels (phone dial I think they are called)

Single carb setup with (supposedly) all parts for twin carb (not sure what flavor)

Front discs on adjustable struts

No obvious rust, but I think the floor pan has been replaced

Front seats are tan corduroy from a SAAB and have to go.

Missing back bumper and tail lights.  I think I have the elephant-foot lights in a box of parts.

Bad 2nd gear synchro

Sticking valve.

I plan on tearing the engine down and starting from the ground up.  I've never done transmission work, so I don't know if I should rebuild myself or swap for a rebuilt.

I cut my teeth on water-pumpers in the 80's and 90's and never really considered a bug, so I don't now much about them.  I didn't know about the German look and I'm intrigued.  With the collection of parts I've been given, it may be a good option to consider.
View Quote

I probably have some correct rear lights in the shop if you want some, the correct answer to the sticking valve can be round at kennedy engineering.  They make adapters for most anything to the VW transaxle.  I ran a 1.8 16v from a Scirrocco in my manx style buggy for a few years.

Speed
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I guess the next relevant question is: What's the ARFCOM of beetles?
View Quote

that would be "the samba"

Speed
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sounds like the PO might have been going that way.

My 72 KG vert is awaiting a transmission and engine from a 2.0 liter 914, with a flipped ring gear and a 901 nosecone, 944 front brakes, 944 rear trailing arms with brakes, and a Megasquirt system with gutted 36 IDF's for throttle bodies.

Of course, it's been waiting over 10 years...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I know of the car:

Flat windshield.  The curved glass would have been later that year or 1972 model I think

Single carb setup with (supposedly) all parts for twin carb (not sure what flavor)

Missing back bumper and tail lights.  I think I have the elephant-foot lights in a box of parts.

Bad 2nd gear synchro

Sticking valve.

I plan on tearing the engine down and starting from the ground up.  I've never done transmission work, so I don't know if I should rebuild myself or swap for a rebuilt.

I cut my teeth on water-pumpers in the 80's and 90's and never really considered a bug, so I don't now much about them.  I didn't know about the German look and I'm intrigued.  With the collection of parts I've been given, it may be a good option to consider.

My 72 KG vert is awaiting a transmission and engine from a 2.0 liter 914, with a flipped ring gear and a 901 nosecone, 944 front brakes, 944 rear trailing arms with brakes, and a Megasquirt system with gutted 36 IDF's for throttle bodies.

sweet, do you use the tailshift or sideshift trans for that?  Also CB performance has a nice EFI system now with IDF style throttle bodies, crank trigger ignition, and laptop tuneable.  Built a turbo motor for a customer with thier setup, works nice.

Speed
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yup oem+
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

German look all the way.

Yup oem+

I third this.

I had a '69 with a '71 1600 DP

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#23]
VW Bug memories.......
High school girlfriend in 1976 had two of them and being a young mechanic I got to cut my teeth on them.... LOL
Middle of winter and the throttle cable breaks about 5 miles from home.
I am crouching on the rear bumper operating the throttle by hand and trying to holler loud enough to her so we can synchronize my acceleration control with her clutch and shifting...
White knuckle ride.....

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
71 was the start of curved windshields yeah? Slam it, get some wider fenders and run wider wheels.
View Quote

This

I had a decked out superbeetle convertible when i was in college.   When I moved to TX,  I sold it because it was too freaking hot there to drive it.   It's the only car i was emotional about selling.   It was truly a fun little car to drive.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Will a 350 and 914 transmission fit?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

sweet, do you use the tailshift or sideshift trans for that?  Also CB performance has a nice EFI system now with IDF style throttle bodies, crank trigger ignition, and laptop tuneable.  Built a turbo motor for a customer with thier setup, works nice.

Speed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I know of the car:

Bad 2nd gear synchro

Sticking valve.

Speed

The tranny is the only component I don't have yet. It needs to be either a 901 from a 912 (proper nosecone, correct gearing, rare and pricy) or a 914 (needs a 911 or 912 nosecone and flipping the ring gear, but correct gearing and much more common).

I already have almost all the components for the MS, and I'm not sure I want to pay the CB premium.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I probably have some correct rear lights in the shop if you want some, the correct answer to the sticking valve can be round at kennedy engineering.  They make adapters for most anything to the VW transaxle.  I ran a 1.8 16v from a Scirrocco in my manx style buggy for a few years.

Speed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I know of the car:

Bad 2nd gear synchro

Sticking valve.

Speed

Nah. Hie thee to the Type4rum and Jake Raby for a Type 4 engine.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Will a 350 and 914 transmission fit?
View Quote

The 350 will stick out the back, and you are better with a 915 trans at that power level - though if one is going to create such a desecration, may as well just use a Toronado automatic.

ETA: Or an 091 as someone above mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I know of the car:

Bad 2nd gear synchro

Sticking valve.

Speed

Lots of love for Raby motors, but you can find 16v motors for cheap now, I know of a 2.0 I could have for $100 at the moment that runs....  I think I still have a complete 2.0 from a teener somewhere though...LOL

Speed
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The tranny is the only component I don't have yet. It needs to be either a 901 from a 912 (proper nosecone, correct gearing, rare and pricy) or a 914 (needs a 911 or 912 nosecone and flipping the ring gear, but correct gearing and much more common).

I already have almost all the components for the MS, and I'm not sure I want to pay the CB premium.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I know of the car:

Bad 2nd gear synchro

Sticking valve.

Speed

may as well go with the MS then, because the CB stuff is painfully priced.

Speed
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#31]
2 years ago I picked up a vw dune buggy for cheap.  It needs a full resto, but it has the transmission.  Just need a motor, windsheild, and a hood.  Then I can convict myself to start working on it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paint it white and slap a "53" on the side.  

http://i.pbase.com/o9/72/325172/1/163137687.wta2r2wp.Herbie.jpg

I loved that movie as a kid.  Actually, I still love that movie.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#33]

SEXY

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Member here owns a genuine Myers Manx.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ok, that is fucking awesome!!!!  You have to provide more details on this thing.  Engine, frame, suspension?  Did you do the work?  You cannot just post two pictures of that thing.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do it. This is my 69.
<a href="http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/davidwilburn1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/8F8FCCFC-5593-4ED7-9223-1CDA4C9ECAD8_zps03thxpck.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah71/davidwilburn1/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/8F8FCCFC-5593-4ED7-9223-1CDA4C9ECAD8_zps03thxpck.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/davidwilburn1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/334A535F-E420-4CF9-82AA-937E8DC2164E_zpskbdlsrig.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah71/davidwilburn1/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/334A535F-E420-4CF9-82AA-937E8DC2164E_zpskbdlsrig.jpg</a>

I built it several years ago from a completely stock, but badly rusted car. All that is left is the body.
It's an a-arm front end, 2.5L Subaru, beefed up 091 trans, full cage, 22 gallon fuel cell, suspension seats, harnesses, 3500lb winch, CNC brakes, beadlock wheels, and a bunch of crap I can't think of right now.
I don't have any detail pics on my phone right now.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#36]
73 Super here, all original 85k miles, except for a re-paint 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I had 2 of them, a 6 volt one, and a 12 volt one.

Neat cars, but I was glad to get rid of the second one.

I'd had enough.

Having to hold your hand on the windshield to melt the ice so you can see, gets old after a few times.
View Quote

ice? Ice goes in my cooler and my drink cup. not on my windshield. Yankees be doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lots of love for Raby motors, but you can find 16v motors for cheap now, I know of a 2.0 I could have for $100 at the moment that runs....  I think I still have a complete 2.0 from a teener somewhere though...LOL

Speed
View Quote

I'm trying to stop myself from buying 2 trashed 914's, one a 1.7 and the other a 2.0, about 10 miles from me.  Guy's down to about $1300 for both, but I just have too many damned projects right now.

The problem with switching to a 16v vw engine is that it doesn't want to fit under the decklid, and it needs a radiator system.  The former can be tackled by using parts from the old diesel Vanagon, but the latter is all custom.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm trying to stop myself from buying 2 trashed 914's, one a 1.7 and the other a 2.0, about 10 miles from me.  Guy's down to about $1300 for both, but I just have too many damned projects right now.

The problem with switching to a 16v vw engine is that it doesn't want to fit under the decklid, and it needs a radiator system.  The former can be tackled by using parts from the old diesel Vanagon, but the latter is all custom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

yea, its a bit more problematic in a full bodied car than it is in a manx.  I just took out the rear seat and put the radiator and fuel tank under a cover there.  You could use standoffs and then bulge the licence plate area out on a stock decklid , but it would be a lot of work and still likely look off anyway.  I started a similar project on a  baja, that involved cutting out and refabing the parcel shelf area, sadly never finished it.  Now the teeners.....they wont get any cheaper these days, nor will the rust reverse  itself unfortunately...I wish I could find a clean one that they didnt want an arm and a leg for but around here if you open both the doors with the top off its pretty much guaranteed to fold in half.

Speed

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#40]
I love ACVWs.  I've been working on restoring one for about 6 years now.  My grandfather ownwed one in Germany in the early '50s when stationed there.  Here's some of the pictures he took.  As I've been told, the old gentleman standing by the bug with stag in the trunk would let my grandfather and his buddies hunt the land that he own.  The would provide him with alot of the meat.  Apparently, some hard times in Germany after WW2.  Other pics are my dad and his '68.  Fellow Arfcommer HOODWINK is shown grinding some metal when I replaced the pans.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#41]
nope
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#44]
^^^^

Yeah doesn't take much with the older cars.

Guy on Ferrarichat lost his SO in a classic Porsche speedster wreck--some stoned chick hit them head on.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
^^^^

Guy on Ferrarichat lost his SO in a classic Porsche speedster wreck--some stoned chick hit them head on.
View Quote

From the wreck it looks like some serious speeds were involved - I'm not sure the Beetle driver would have survived in a modern car either.  But it is very true that modern cars manage crash energy far better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I only had ONE use for VW's back in the day!

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

From the wreck it looks like some serious speeds were involved - I'm not sure the Beetle driver would have survived in a modern car either.  But it is very true that modern cars manage crash energy far better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^^

Yep definitely some serious speed coupled with probably worst case scenario for the Bug (Lifted truck completely missing the Bug's limited bumper mounts.)

The Porsche Speedster wreck in Scripps Ranch wasnt even nearly as bad as far as dmg.  But a combination of where the DUI car hit and lap belts proved fatal.  It wouldn't take much head-on speed in a car like that to get into fatal territory.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I present my Lottery VW Stable:

1963 Beetle 1300 with Sunroof: Last year for the big sunroof, first for the 1300 engine.  We moved from PA to Florida in 1973 in one of these, complete with roof rack.

1972 Karmann Ghia, Red (I already have this one)

Vanagon Syncro Crew Cab, mid 80's, diesel.  These were imported into Canada and some made it into the US during the gray market heyday.

1965 Type 3 Notchback - Only imported into the US in 65, then replaced with the fastback.  2 trunks!

Type 181 Acapulco Thing.  Made in Mexico on reinforced Karmann Ghia floorpans, only imported 73-74.

Honorable Mention: 1976 914.  Lots of people don't like the big bumpers, but I think they work (at least the front).  We already have one in the family, one of the leftover 75's that were sold in 76.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Some people can ruin anything.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top