Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The solution is simple, really. Be it generators, water or guns. Pay more or pay nothing- because there is nothing to buy.

In case you haven't noticed, demand has skyrocketed. You can either pay more for something in stock, or get on a waiting list for something that is out of stock with no idea when resupply is.

With one option, you have a rifle. The other, no rifle. It's really pretty simple.

If you found an AR-15 for sale somewhere RIGHT NOW that was $300 dollars, would you be happy about it? Would you brag about your find? That is the same as as the people upset at having to pay more for what they want. Everyone likes a good deal.

Obviously supply and demand are king, but to pretend that a negative reaction to the increase in price of a certain good doesn't exist is what I take issue with.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
He can be as upset as he wants. It doesn't make price gouging exist.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock.

If I put a NIB Bushmaster AR15 on GunBroker and it sells in an open auction for $3,000.00 did the buyer get screwed?

No because he had the decision of whether or not to buy it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My favorite line is "I totally understand and support the free market but..." and then contradict themselves in the same sentence by saying "...I will no longer patronize that company and I hope they fail".

R.I.P. America.

Yup
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My favorite line is "I totally understand and support the free market but..." and then contradict themselves in the same sentence by saying "...I will no longer patronize that company and I hope they fail".

R.I.P. America.

Yup
There are many that support the Constitution when it favors their cause, but yell for Federal action when something they dislike happens.

And these same folks act as if the politicians do not notice this.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

R.I.P. America.

Yup
There are many that support the Constitution when it favors their cause, but yell for Federal action when something they dislike happens.
And these same folks act as if the politicians do not notice this.

Bring up prescription drug prices in GD and watch what happens.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

R.I.P. America.

Yup

Woah... Wait a second.

Lets take this outside the "price gouging/S&D" debate. Both of you think that voting with your wallet and not supporting a company you don't like (for whatever reason) is not in line with the free market and killing America?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

R.I.P. America.

Yup

Woah... Wait a second.

Lets take this outside the "price gouging/S&D" debate. Both of you think that voting with your wallet and not supporting a company you don't like (for whatever reason) is not in line with the free market and killing America?

Nothing wrong with voting with your wallet. But when you boycott a business because they raise their prices when demand is high and supply is low, that is ridiculous.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with voting with your wallet. But when you boycott a business because they raise their prices when demand is low, that is ridiculous.

Low or High?

Anyway, the whole argument doesn't really apply to a free market, because it's the government's intervention into the market that is driving up demand. "Free" market, my ass.

I think there is a perception among some gun owners that certain companies are HAPPY about what the government is doing. I think that may be true in some limited circumstances, but is unfounded for the most part.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Cabelas in Allen has Windham Weaponry M4s for $799 right now - not bad little carbines.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock.

If I put a NIB Bushmaster AR15 on GunBroker and it sells in an open auction for $3,000.00 did the buyer get screwed?

That is up to the buyer to decide. It's subjective.

But the informed buyer would know $1,300 is a very unreasonable price for an AR15 sport. They are clearly trying to take advantage of someone.

No they are not. If I wanted an AR15 my whole life but never bought one until now and they actually have one in stock for $1300 they are doing me a favor.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Price gouging doesn't exist.  Markets change.  Supply and demand have both changed recently.  Prices readjust.

This.

If people didn't raise prices on guns, all the supply of guns would be gone. Look at what happend to gasoline after Sandy. Long lines, no gas. That's because the gas stations couldn't change the price to meet the increased demand.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with voting with your wallet. But when you boycott a business because they raise their prices when demand is low, that is ridiculous.

Low or High?

Anyway, the whole argument doesn't really apply to a free market, because it's the government's intervention into the market that is driving up demand. "Free" market, my ass.

I think there is a perception among some gun owners that certain companies are HAPPY about what the government is doing. I think that may be true in some limited circumstances, but is unfounded for the most part.

Demand is high and supply is low.

ETA: As for your argument about government intervention, well that's a different debate altogether.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A friend told me today his LGS was selling M&P 15 sports for $1,300. That isn't price gouging?

No.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Im in 650 so far and I just need a lower. We'll see how much that costs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A friend told me today his LGS was selling M&P 15 sports for $1,300. That isn't price gouging?

no thats supply and demand.. when demand is higher then supply, the price goes up..

Have we hit Peak EBR yet??

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As a person with a background in Finance, Economics, and Accounting... No.

Let me use an example

There is a major weather event coming and you need a flashlight.

You run to Lowe's and they did not raise prices and they are sold out of flashlights, then go to Home Depot where they raised the price 100x to $1000 but they have one in stock and you buy it.

Which one served you better?

Price Gouging is good as it encourages entrepreneurship, and proper allocation in an environment of extreme scarcity.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the informed buyer would know $1,300 is a very unreasonable price for an AR15 sport. They are clearly trying to take advantage of someone.

So you want the .gov to approve of prices now.  Why don't you study Natural Gas and the like before it was deregulated.  If you are too stupid to do research your fault not mine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me use an example

You run to Lowe's and they did not raise prices and they are sold out of flashlights, then go to Home Depot where they raised the price 100x to $1000 but they have one in stock and you buy it.

Price Gouging is good as it encourages entrepreneurship, and proper allocation in an environment of extreme scarcity.

To be fair, I think most people who cry "price gouging" are the ones who are priced out of the market.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not unreasonable if that is the price where supply meets demand.

If you disagree, you don't understand supply and demand.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me use an example

To be fair, I think most people who cry "price gouging" are the ones who are priced out of the market.

Then they should have more efficiently allocated their resources, say bought flashlights when there was a surplus, or instead of buying rims they could have saved money.  

Money motivates the entrepreneur and investment from business.  You think areas like the current shale plays would be on the table if not for high gas prices?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Then they should have more efficiently allocated their resources, say bought flashlights when there was a surplus, or instead of buying rims they could have saved money.  

Money motivates the entrepreneur and investment from business.  You think areas like the current shale plays would be on the table if not for high gas prices?

I am not really disagreeing with you on your examples. I think that people use the term as a way to state their dissatisfaction with the price, just like people use other terms when they find what they want for less than they expected to pay.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not really disagreeing with you on your examples. I think that people use the term as a way to state their dissatisfaction with the price, just like people use other terms when they find what they want for less than they expected to pay.

Then I retract my last response and replace it with...

LOL POOR PEOPLE
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So you want the .gov to approve of prices now.  

Why did you jump to that conclusion? The only mention of government in this thread was about them meddling with gun laws. Why do people automatically assume people who don't like gun/ammo price increases want the government to step in? I don't think I have ever seen that argument made here on arf by anyone who wasn't a leftist troll.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did you jump to that conclusion? The only mention of government in this thread was about them meddling with gun laws. Why do people automatically assume people who don't like gun/ammo price increases want the government to step in? I don't think I have ever seen that argument made here on arf by anyone who wasn't a leftist troll.

Would you expect some other entity to prevent "gouging"?

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#27]
As an example, I went into a shop today to look for either some .308 rifles or KAC/Noveske stuff.  They had a Noveske, but it wasn't what I wanted.  I ended up walking out with a complete CMMG lower at $252 + tax.  They had S&W complete lowers at what I thought was a high $325.

I wasn't really looking for the lower, but since I had a CMMG upper sitting on a RRA lower, I decided to make the CMMG a complete set.  Now, I'll be looking for an upper for my RRA lower.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#28]
A local shop raised prices on stripped lowers by $50.00 before my eyes this morning.  At least he asked me if I wanted one at the old price first.

I don't blame him a bit as he might as well make what he can on them as it might be the last he sees for a while. His sources are out till further notice..

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it needs to be "prevented," and I have never seen anyone else say otherwise. Except maybe some of the people who are known Obama nut suckers.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't be gouged for something that you don't need to have.

You think people don't need guns?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think it needs to be "prevented," and I have never seen anyone else say otherwise. Except maybe some of the people who are known Obama nut suckers.
If you believe it exits, then you believe than an injustice is being put upon people. In that vein, you support (weather actively or not) government intervention, as that actually is the purpose of government.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If you believe it exits, then you believe than an injustice is being put upon people. In that vein, you support (weather actively or not) government intervention, as that actually is the purpose of government.

Hahaha... No.

Nice job trying to frame my opinions for me. I have said it really just comes down to expressing a negative reaction to a sudden increase of prices. It's not an injustice. Is the negativity misplaced? Sure... but it exists.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Markets go in both directions, not only up.  let say you buy that 1300 AR and the market collapses.  then what??

there are a lot of people that thought they could fly, thinking the market only goes up.

Don't like price? Don't buy it. Enough people think the same way the market will correct itself.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I have no more AR or AK's to price gouge. Everyone that I had in stock got sold today. I've never seen business like this, even after Obama won in 2008
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Markets go in both directions, not only up.  let say you buy that 1300 AR and the market collapses.  then what??

there are a lot of people that thought they could fly, thinking the market only goes up.

Don't like price? Don't buy it. Enough people think the same way the market will correct itself.

Agreed. Like I said earlier, if you sell a house you bought for $500,000 dollars and sold it for $85,000, The buyer is going to be thrilled, but you are going to feel like you've been buttsexed. Same concept just backwards.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hahaha... No.

Nice job trying to frame my opinions for me. I have said it really just comes down to expressing a negative reaction to a sudden increase of prices. It's not an injustice. Is the negativity misplaced? Sure... but it exists.
No, not trying to frame your opinions, just pointing out that it is the belief in "gouging" that encourages government entities to get involved and "do something about it." For the children, I assume.

A negative reaction, well sure, why wouldn't someone not have a negative reaction to a steep price increase. Good golly, I look at the price of LC 5.56 and weep for what I missed a few years ago, but I do not call it gouging.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No, not trying to frame your opinions, just pointing out that it is the belief in "gouging" that encourages government entities to get involved and "do something about it." For the children, I assume.
A negative reaction, well sure, why wouldn't someone not have a negative reaction to a steep price increase. Good golly, I look at the price of LC 5.56 and weep for what I missed a few years ago, but I do not call it gouging.

It's really hard to argue this point without coming off like some sort of class warrior. I am actually very careful never to use the term for myself. I don't CARE that companies raise prices because I get why they do it for the most part. If someone feels gouged over it and they want to call it that, I get that too.

If they use the term to describe the evil exploitive capitalist, they can go die.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Someone will pay that much, and be next one in line will be pissed he didn't get it at that price first.

People will pay.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Also forgot to add, not price gouging leads to a lack of conservation, or does not compel people to conserve.  For example if gas is a dollar a gallon after a hurricane what is the incentive to conserve, well there isn't, until it's all gone.  If it were $20/gallon you'd be shutting that shit off at red lights.

/end/ of today's economics lesson.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Price gouging doesn't exist.  Markets change.  Supply and demand have both changed recently.  Prices readjust.

This!

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have no more AR or AK's to price gouge. Everyone that I had in stock got sold today. I've never seen business like this, even after Obama won in 2008

And the distributors are either running low or out of stock as well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing I won't be trying to stock my store.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw this hot ass woman at the grocery store the other day and I asked her if she'd like a little of the old in-out, in-out.  She said no.  I call it pussy gouging.  

Eloquent analogy.  There is a limited supply.  Not everyone can partake.  It must be gouging on her part.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#44]
ITT: Arfcommers that think there's such a thing as 'price gouging'.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Post count, join date...

I can't believe you people actually fell for this troll thread.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Read this to understand this:

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Fresh new account comes and posts a stupid hot-button topic thread?

Ya, definitely not a troll.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and raising prices as well

found a handful of rifles to restock but got raped on um

so the raping gets passed along

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 1:11:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How much of an increase (percent)?

I'm curious.

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 1:14:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So is saying that you get raped on a price OK, but gouging isn't? They seem like the same thing to me. Just an expression of your experience with a transaction.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top